1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,189 posts
  • 299 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Tranquilize
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 276 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191026_121732 (resized).jpg
AE80355F-5C88-4F47-ACF9-CD1947559B71 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpg
C4C11B34-E040-48CA-92DC-99801E773D7D (resized).jpeg
IM right ramp fix (resized).jpg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2219 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
newton-ball-unscrew (resized).jpg
7728A7C8-BFD1-44AB-83AB-91CB1B9128EB (resized).jpeg
A24B7A39-59AD-45C4-8CA2-27C135D501F3 (resized).png
MVIMG_20190818_220245 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190817_233035 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2189 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 44.
#901 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I updated today but didnt notice anything like that. I only played 3-4 games though.

Same here

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from tryton1000:

mine is doing the same thing! code issue for sure..

Maybe its just switch sensitivity combined with a harder coil pulse that has changed . Readjust the switch to a slightly wider gap and try. Let us know.

#903 1 year ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

I just received my Iron Maiden a few days ago.....the ball seems to fall off the right ramp(wireform) 90% of the time.Anyone else have this issue?

Do you mean fly off the ramp with a hard hit? I've been having the same issue as my machine is setup fairly fast. I made up a plastic guide to stop this, I notice this right ramp wireform is very similar to Metallica's right ramp, but that came out with a guide as standard. I need to order the correct height hex posts as I had to make it up with what I had (so doesn't look right just yet). But so far no balls flying off the right ramp into the right drain.

IMG_20180815_153758237_HDR (resized).jpg
#904 1 year ago
Quoted from zaki:

anyone have this issue. i just updated to new IM code. left sling repeatedly firing 20 times when hit. has to be software issue. worked fine yesterday.

Just updated my Premium to 1.03. Exactly same issue is happening to me.

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

What exactly is happening? Everytime the ball hits one of the slings it fires 20 times or is it just happening once in awhile or what?

#906 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What exactly is happening? Everytime the ball hits one of the slings it fires 20 times or is it just happening once in awhile or what?

Start game. As soon as ball hits left sling it fires repeatedly and won't stop. Turn off game.

I reloaded 1.02 code and it's not happening any more.

#907 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

Start game. As soon as ball hits left sling it fires repeatedly and won't stop. Turn off game.

That is strange. I only played a few games last night but it didn't happen to me.

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That is strange. I only played a few games last night but it didn't happen to me.

Definitely a 'thing' if it's happened to more than one I'd say but definitely not all.

Was just watching a stream with an LE updated on 1.03 and he had no issues.

Weird.

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

Definitely a 'thing' if it's happened to more than one I'd say but definitely not all.
Was just watching a stream with an LE updated on 1.03 and he had no issues.
Weird.

Widen the switch gaps and try again. Like someone else mentioned. Maybe the default coil pulse has been changed.

#910 1 year ago

My LE lower Newton Ball was having constant issues since day 1. The issue was that whenever it was hit it wouldn't re-seat to a consistent centered position. It would get stuck pushed back or to the side a bit and then start registering phantom hits over and over again. I took it apart and examined the sleeve in which it sits. This sleeve is circular and has a sloping edge so that the ball will automatically center itself. However mine was cut so poorly that there was a ridge on one side and cuts all along the sloping sides making it impossible for the ball to move smoothly.
I filed the edges of the slope with a rat tail file, then a finer file and then polished it with a cloth Dremel polishing bit dipped in some Novus 2 to make it as smooth as possible. Problem solved!
The first two (blurry) pics are the "before" and the last is the finished product.
If your IMDN is having similar issues I suggest that you check out this piece.

Newton Ball Seat 1 (resized).JPGNewton Ball Seat 2 (resized).JPGNewton Ball Seat 3 (resized).JPG

#911 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Widen the switch gaps and try again. Like someone else mentioned. Maybe the default coil pulse has been changed.

Maybe when I have more patience for fiddling. For now I'm back to 1.02, just got to Cyborg and 2MTM in one game for first time and back to enjoying playing for now :0)

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

My LE lower Newton Ball was having constant issues since day 1. The issue was that whenever it was hit it wouldn't re-seat to a consistent centered position. It would get stuck pushed back or to the side a bit and then start registering hits over and over again. I took it apart and examined the sleeve in which it sits. This sleeve is circular and has a sloping edge so that the ball will automatically center itself. However mine was cut so poorly that there was a ridge on one side and cuts all along the sloping sides making it impossible for the ball to move smoothly.
I filed the edges of the slope with a rat tail file, then a finer file and then polished it with a cloth Dremel polishing bit dipped in some Novus 2 to make it as smooth as possible. Problem solved!
The first two (blurry) pics are the "before" and the last is the finished product.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

same thing was happening to mine, I thought it might of been the spring getting caught on a edge or something.
the mummy one centers every time, but the orb one...
This thing took me forever to get adjusted correctly, the pops set it off pre-maturely or it didn't get set off at all.
Then it kept getting stuck in the slanted position.
that thing drove me crazy

#913 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

same thing was happening to mine, I thought it might of been the spring getting caught on a edge or something.
the mummy one centers every time, but the orb one...
This thing took me forever to get adjusted correctly, the pops set it off pre-maturely or it didn't get set off at all.
Then it kept getting stuck in the slanted position.
that thing drove me crazy

What did you do to fix yours?

#914 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

I just went and played about 4 games and mine is playing normal like it should. I have a Premium also if that matters. I reslly dont see how that could be code related though because when the two contacts are pressed together that is what tells the coil to fire and not the computer right? That coil cannot fire unless the contacts create a closed circuit right? The only way the contacts can come together is if the ball hits them. Am i missing something here?

#915 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just went and played about 4 games and mine is playing normal like it should. I have a Premium also if that matters. I reslly dont see how that could be code related though because when the two contacts are pressed together that is what tells the coil to fire and not the computer right? That coil cannot fire unless the contacts create a closed circuit right? The only way the contacts can come together is if the ball hits them. Am i missing something here?

I think what is happening the switch pulse is more sensitive now. The sling rubber is probably deflecting back and causing the switch to register and refute the coil

I wish someone would test and let us know. Don’t want to update a buggy code.

#916 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree with your logic in theory. All I know is machine was fine. Updated to 1.03 left sling goes mental as soon as it is touched. Tried restarting a couple of times but always the same result.

Revert to 1.02 back to normal again. Didn't take the glass off once through that process.

Played for an hour since, all good.

#917 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I think what is happening the switch pulse is more sensitive now. The sling rubber is probably deflecting back and causing the switch to register and refute the coil
I wish someone would test and let us know. Don’t want to update a buggy code.

Ok gotcha. Well mine doesnt do it and Multiballmaniac has a pro model and his doesnt do it either.

#918 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok gotcha. Well mine doesnt do it and Multiballmaniac has a pro model and his doesnt do it either.

This makes me think it’s not software. It would be happening to everyone if it was. I’m no chemist, but I think that’s how it works.

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This makes me think it’s not software. It would be happening to everyone if it was. I’m no chemist, but I think that’s how it works.

Yeah unless his contacts are just a little closer than mine. Hopefully more people will chime in soon.

#920 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

+1 If it's not happening to everyone it's not a bug in code.

Quoted from db666:

Maybe when I have more patience for fiddling. For now I'm back to 1.02, just got to Cyborg and 2MTM in one game for first time and back to enjoying playing for now :0)

It literally takes 30 seconds to take the glass off, open the gap and put the glass back on. 99.9% that is your issue. You could probably look at the switch through the glass and see the gap. If they changed the coil strength for the slings then that would be why it would happen on 1.03 and not 1.02.

#921 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There may have been some debounce for the slingshots in the code that was changed.

Once a sling shot fires, you could probably wait a second before allowing it to fire again.

#922 1 year ago

Just an update.. The code did in fact change something with the Sensitivity of the left sling. Regapped and now it's fine..

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

What did you do to fix yours?

I was able to rotate the bushing thing you shaved down, so it was only getting caught from hard side hits (which rarely happen).
Tried to take it apart, wasn't real sure how to go about it since there was nothing to grip onto except the newton ball itself... didn't want to mar it up.

maybe I'll give it shot since I know exactly what to do now... when I have time. Really not looking forward to gapping that switch again. Not sure why I had such an issue gapping it, seems like everyone else did theirs pretty easily... or maybe their pop's are setting it off to, but they aren't noticing? It was maybe once out of 30 pop hits, it magically set the power jackpot off and made the orb sound.

#924 1 year ago

So I am still running 1.01 is it definitely worth upgrading to 1.3? Only reason I ask is I've used pinball browser to change all my songs and it takes some time to redo that. Just curious what others think.

Any chance it could help with a weak left flipper? My left flipper SUCKS compared to the right one...has since the day I opened the box...

#925 1 year ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So I am still running 1.01 is it definitely worth upgrading to 1.3? Only reason I ask is I've used pinball browser to change all my songs and it takes some time to redo that. Just curious what others think.
Any chance it could help with a weak left flipper? My left flipper SUCKS compared to the right one...has since the day I opened the box...

Yes, The Audio quality improvement is excellent !
Plenty of other improvements.

Did you check coil sleeve ?

#926 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Yes, The Audio quality improvement is excellent !
Plenty of other improvements.
Did you check coil sleeve ?

I am pretty green at pins but just looking at it (when I had the playfield leaning against the backglass so I could see the bottom side) I didn't notice anything out of sorts...but not like I couldn't miss something lol

#927 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

Turn down the sling power. Adjustment 62 in game specific options. Set it to 20 or less. Problem solved.

#928 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

1.03 seems to have made the coil hit stronger for the slings. Turning it down to 20 or less on adjustment #62 of the game-specific adjustments solves this issue. Turn down the trough eject to 180-200 while you're in there. Your machine shooter lane will get beat up less.

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Turn down the sling power. Adjustment 62 in game specific options. Set it to 20 or less. Problem solved.

Thank you, I will give this a try .. much appreciated.

#930 1 year ago

For what it's worth, here's my experience so far with the auto plunge. My game was I'd say about 80% out of the box. Pretty good, and only really annoying when there was a miss at the beginning of Trooper multi-ball, just cause it's not as cool if all 3 balls don't come down at you at the same time! Mine would make it, or shoot low and hit the post. It would never go high and hit the flipper. By turning the auto plunge down from 255 to 235 my game has gone to 95-98%. I won't say 100% because you're always gonna have an occasional miss, but it gets it almost every time now. I know it seems backwards. If it hits low you'd think it needed more power not less, but that's not the case for mine. My theory is that the ball sits in the middle of the shooter lane and doesn't make contact with the right metal guide. When it's fired it travels straight up the lane until it hits the curve. Because the ball was not in contact with the rail the whole time there's an impact and very slight bounce when it does contact the rail. Think of driving onto a highway on ramp and not turning the wheel until you hit the metal guard rail. This slight bounce varies slightly each time and causes the inconsistency. In my case the bounce sends the ball low into the post. Less power=less bounce. My ball is now more consistent and so makes the shot more consistently. I believe if the ball was just barely touching the rail right from the start, and all the way up and around the curve, it would be much more accurate because there would be NO bounce. I looked at moving the whole rail left to accomplish this but it will require a little more surgery than I'm willing to do at the moment. 95-98% is good enough for me and was super easy by just turning down the power. This may not work the same for you if yours misses high into the flipper. In any case though, I'm willing to bet that minimizing the impact bounce is the key to accuracy.

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from gearhead:

For what it's worth, here's my experience so far with the auto plunge. My game was I'd say about 80% out of the box. Pretty good, and only really annoying when there was a miss at the beginning of Trooper multi-ball, just cause it's not as cool if all 3 balls don't come down at you at the same time! Mine would make it, or shoot low and hit the post. It would never go high and hit the flipper. By turning the auto plunge down from 255 to 235 my game has gone to 95-98%. I won't say 100% because you're always gonna have an occasional miss, but it gets it almost every time now. I know it seems backwards. If it hits low you'd think it needed more power not less, but that's not the case for mine. My theory is that the ball sits in the middle of the shooter lane and doesn't make contact with the right metal guide. When it's fired it travels straight up the lane until it hits the curve. Because the ball was not in contact with the rail the whole time there's an impact and very slight bounce when it does contact the rail. Think of driving onto a highway on ramp and not turning the wheel until you hit the metal guard rail. This slight bounce varies slightly each time and causes the inconsistency. In my case the bounce sends the ball low into the post. Less power=less bounce. My ball is now more consistent and so makes the shot more consistently. I believe if the ball was just barely touching the rail right from the start, and all the way up and around the curve, it would be much more accurate because there would be NO bounce. I looked at moving the whole rail left to accomplish this but it will require a little more surgery than I'm willing to do at the moment. 95-98% is good enough for me and was super easy by just turning down the power. This may not work the same for you if yours misses high into the flipper. In any case though, I'm willing to bet that minimizing the impact bounce is the key to accuracy.

Changing the auto plunge power did nothing for my game. The fix was all in the prongs.

#932 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

1.03 seems to have made the coil hit stronger for the slings. Turning it down to 20 or less on adjustment #62 of the game-specific adjustments solves this issue. Turn down the trough eject to 180-200 while you're in there. Your machine shooter lane will get beat up less.

Thank you Vireland!

#933 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

Thank you, I will give this a try .. much appreciated.

The leaf gap on my LE is HUGE

Strange thing................ it works perfect

I fitted perfect play red 2 1/2" rubbers to slings from Pinball life and no problems at all

Very happy with these bands !

20180815_134435 (resized).jpg
#934 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Or just fix it properly and adjust the gap for the switch. Turning down the slings to that level effects game play. In this case it can actually hurt it as the power of the slings could now more often shoot the ball to the outlane or go back and forth more frequently. Have trust that their was a reason why Stern made this change and it was approved by Elwin.

#935 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Changing the auto plunge power did nothing for my game. The fix was all in the prongs.

Did yours miss high or low before you fixed it with the prongs?

#936 1 year ago
Quoted from gearhead:

Did yours miss high or low before you fixed it with the prongs?

Mine was hitting the upper left flipper every time. I adjusted the left prong in and to the right just a little and it shot perfect but it only lasted one day and then it started shooting low into that post below the loop. I bent the prong to the left just a tad and now it has been shooting literally 100% perfectly almost a week now. This game is so much more fun when it plunges up into that loop like its supposed to.

#937 1 year ago

Double post

#938 1 year ago

So you had the opposite problem from me. That makes sense. If you were already shooting high less power on the coil would probably not help. I guess the rail angle and therefore the bounce in every machine is just a little different. Totally agree it's way better when it hits that loop!

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from gearhead:

So you had the opposite problem from me. That makes sense. If you were already shooting high less power on the coil would probably not help. I guess the rail angle and therefore the bounce in every machine is just a little different. Totally agree it's way better when it hits that loop!

Especially when it loads up trooper multiball, that is pretty epic and it never gets old for me. I don't want those balls to miss when it loads them up into the loop.

Got my best friend from high school coming over in an hour to play IMDN. Me and him went and seen Iron Maiden back in 1983. Of course my game is going to be a dildo and start missing that loop shot today probably. Isnt that how it always works? lol

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Same here, tried a variety of settings on the autoplunger strength first and no go. Mine was perfect for a month without adjustments and then changed. Good now.

#941 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Turn down the trough eject to 180-200 while you're in there. Your machine shooter lane will get beat up less.

Cheers Vic.Learned something new.Ball was shooting out the trough that hard sometimes it was going back in causing 2 balls to come back out in the shooter lane.

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Or just fix it properly and adjust the gap for the switch. Turning down the slings to that level effects game play. In this case it can actually hurt it as the power of the slings could now more often shoot the ball to the outlane or go back and forth more frequently. Have trust that their was a reason why Stern made this change and it was approved by Elwin.

Bull. If it was playing fine before the update to 1.03 and now the coil strength is maxed so hard it causes the slings to repeatedly fire, that's an issue added by the change. There's no problem dialing it back so it works the way it used to (and should). The way it is in 1.03 you cannot have a hair-trigger gap or you get the machine gunning. Dialing the coil back actually makes the coil action MORE sensitive, not less. There's PLENTY of action at 20 to have the ball go back and forth between the slings.

And if Elwin was god, he would not have the trough eject maxed out at 255, which is WAY too hard for the shooter lane wall. Just slams the ball out. And if he is god, god helps those who help themselves.

So either way, adjust.

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

The flippers should barely need springs? Well, there is a reason they are on there and used on all flipper assemblies and it’s part of the way it works. Also, I’m assuming that he had looked and checked the mechanics without the power on to see if it moved freely without any friction.

Yes the springs are barely needed, they are needed but they do not need much pull if things are assembled correctly. There should be minimal drag.

#944 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Bull. If it was playing fine before the update to 1.03 and now the coil strength is maxed so hard it causes the slings to repeatedly fire, that's an issue added by the change. There's no problem dialing it back so it works the way it used to (and should). The way it is in 1.03 you cannot have a hair-trigger gap or you get the machine gunning. Dialing the coil back actually makes the coil action MORE sensitive, not less. There's PLENTY of action at 20 to have the ball go back and forth between the slings.
And if Elwin was god, he would not have the trough eject maxed out at 255, which is WAY too hard for the shooter lane wall. Just slams the ball out. And if he is god, god helps those who help themselves.
So either way, adjust.

I'm going to say this as politely as possible but if you really think changing the power of a coil impacts the sensitivity of a slingshot then you don't understand how a pinball machine works. And if you think a sling shot is designed so that the ball is supposed to go back and forth between them repeatedly then you don't understand how a game is designed. yes, a sling is designed to create side to side movement but not to create a tennis match.

The sensitively of a sling is created by the gap in the switch and NOTHING else. You are getting more sling action with a weaker coil because it is not shooting the ball above the slings as they are designed and will make them bounce back and forth.

It's your game so do what ever the heck you want to but that is NOT fixing it the right way so please don't spout that advice to people as "the fix" as you are. That is a band-aide fix for something that is a mechanical problem with the games in question.

Changing the strength of a coil should be done to meet personal desires of how they fire. Not to fix a recoil issue due to a trigger tight sling shot switch gap.

#945 1 year ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Yes the springs are barely needed, they are needed but they do not need much pull if things are assembled correctly. There should be minimal drag.

Yes, obviously. I was being facetious with that. Flippant, get it?

#946 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm going to say this as politely as possible but if you really think changing the power of a coil impacts the sensitivity of a slingshot then you don't understand how a pinball machine works. And if you think a sling shot is designed so that the ball is supposed to go back and forth between them repeatedly then you don't understand how a game is designed. yes, a sling is designed to create side to side movement but not to create a tennis match.

No manners needed, I'm a big boy. I wasn't talking about a tennis match, don't put words in my mouth.

Harder coil action can cause enough vibration to trigger sling switches - in fact it has. 1.03 is doing that. Sure, making the switches LESS SENSITIVE can "fix" that, but why would you want to retard your slings? They should be sensitive as possible without auto-firing. Switches that were working FINE before 1.03 suddenly are machine gunning or double/triple firing. No change to the switches. Changing the coil strength returns it to the way it was in 1.02, which is the expected behavior.

Set yours up however you like, but less sensitive switch gaps aren't the answer, plus harder coil pulls will wear the hardware out faster (but you know that, right?).

#947 1 year ago

1.04 is up on the Premium at Sterns site

#948 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

1.04 is up on the Premium at Sterns site

Really now? Is something wrong with 1.03 or something?

#949 1 year ago

Yes

V1.04.0 - August 15, 2018
=========================
- fixed an issue introduced in 1.03.0 that would complete lit modes when draining a ball without even starting the mode

#950 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yes
V1.04.0 - August 15, 2018
=========================
- fixed an issue introduced in 1.03.0 that would complete lit modes when draining a ball without even starting the mode

I think i may leave 1.03 in then because thats the only way i can complete a mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 7.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Denver, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 2189 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 44.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside