new-receiver (resized).jpg
receiver bottom (resized).jpg
receiver1 (resized).jpg
coin door interface board (resized).jpg
leaf-switch (resized).jpg
rgb-board (resized).jpg
working_button_no_light.jpg
#1 3 years ago

Even though it didn't ship with one, Iron Maiden has supported a lockdown bar button for a long time (maybe since the beginning?) to launch the ball and enter high scores, etc. However there was never code support for lighting, even though lighting worked in the diagnostics. I added a button almost 2 years ago and it worked great for location players used to having it there, but the lack of lighting was a bummer.

Keith has graciously added lighting support to the button with the new code release for crazy people like me that installed a lockdown bar button. So now that it's officially there and both functions AND lights, here's the how-to with a list of stuff you need to do it on your machine and join me in crazytown...

----------------------------------
EDIT Dec 2023:
Terry at Pinball Life graciously came up with two kits that include everything you would need to do this mod, UNLESS you have an old maiden, where you need these kits AND a receiver bar with a hole in it, which the original runs do not have. You need both of these for current runs, or both of these AND the receiver (515-7792-00) if you have an old maiden.

Product ID: 511-2014-00:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-actionfire-button-switch-and-lamp-assembly-with-harness.html
And
Product ID: 500-2440-00:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-dual-latch-lockdown-bar-with-action-button-hole.html

----------------------------------
NOTE: These are prices when I did this almost two years ago, they may be more now. The parts total was $136.97 to do this mod, and I ended up with a spare original non-button lockdown bar and receiver. I got most of this stuff from Terry at pinball life. A number of items are non-stocked and have to be special-ordered.

NEW LOCKDOWN AND RECEIVER ASSEMBLY
500-2440-00 $65.00 Lockdown Bar (part numbers on this change per machine, but part is the same. If this is OOS, try a different machine's PN)
515-7792-00 $25.00 Lockdown Bar receiver (2023 re-run has this already from the factory)

SWITCH ASSEMBLY
535-0559-00 $8.95 Action button Leaf switch bracket
180-5218-00 $12.95 Action button leaf switch
545-6268-00 $0.49 Fische Paper for leaf switch

BUTTON ASSEMBLY
545-7291-00 $3.95 Top Button Bar
515-7791-00 $6.95 Clear Top Button
545-7292-10 $3.05 Top Button Spacer Ring
240-5003-01 $0.35 Pal Nut
240-5104-00 8-32 KEPS Nut Hardware Store
036-5600-17 $4.41 Wire harness from coin board to switch/RGB Light

LED ASSEMBLY
535-0368-00 $3.99 Top Button LED bracket
545-6268-01 $0.49 Fische Paper for LED Board Use 545-6268-00
520-5333-00 $1.39 Tri Color LED Board

Here's how to assemble the new lockdown bar with the button:
lockdown-asssembly (resized).jpglockdown-asssembly (resized).jpg

Then you need to make it so the machine can accept the new button-type lockdown bar. If you have the 2023 run Maiden skip the receiver replacement, they ship with the receiver with the cutout already.

Original receiver here has no square cutout for the button and the light to come through:
receiver1 (resized).jpgreceiver1 (resized).jpg

You'll need a 1/4", 7/16" and 3/8" sockets to remove the screws and nuts holding the old receiver in place.
receiver bottom (resized).jpgreceiver bottom (resized).jpg

Once the old one is out, install the new replacement receiver that allows for a button and light:
new-receiver (resized).jpgnew-receiver (resized).jpg

Soldering the RGB board to the wiring harness from Stern, you want to connect the striped wired to their matching red, green, blue connectors and the solid red wire to the 5v pad
rgb-board (resized).jpgrgb-board (resized).jpg

Now solder on the leaf switch connectors
leaf-switch (resized).jpgleaf-switch (resized).jpg

Then plug the harness into the coin door interface board here:
coin door interface board (resized).jpgcoin door interface board (resized).jpg

Then attach the LED board and leaf switch to the receiver, which has threaded posts to hold the bracket they attach to.

Go into the ADJUSTMENTS on the system menu and turn these two on so the light will work in attract mode, too:
- standard adjustment #55 - start button attract mode illum
- feature adjustment #168 - start game from lockdown button

Enjoy your Iron Maiden with the working lockdown bar action button installed!
working_button_no_light.jpgworking_button_no_light.jpg

All done with this project? Here's a couple other DIY guides I've made for newer Spike machines:

Are LED lights popping out of your spotlights (not just on Spike machines!)? Make sure they never fall out again:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

Have a Stern machine from KISS or after with the softer wood cabinet? Reinforce it to prevent a splitting cab:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

Are your Iron Maiden speakers crackling when you crank it up? Fix that with a cheap external amp:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

Is your Spike machine occasionally resetting during hectic play, torpedoing your high score runs? This guide to fixing it might be for you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-stern-reboots-on-spike

Do you have a WoZ ECLE and think it's too loud in a quiet room? Replace two fans and make it almost silent:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quieting-down-a-woz-ecle-machine

Deadpool Katana entrance playfield protection:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protecting-katana-lane-entrance-from-playfield-damage

9 months later
#3 2 years ago

Inspired by @pinmonk, I decided to build the lockdown bar with a working button. I was able to find all the parts except the wire harness (part# 036-5600-17) and I was informed that Stern would likely never fulfill such an order at this time. I built the wire harness, but I ordered the wrong connector. My OCD required me to finish the project, so I just soldered on some extra connectors from Pinstadium. It's a little messy, but it works great. Thanks for the instructions.
IMG_1801 (resized).jpegIMG_1801 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1802 (resized).jpegIMG_1802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1812 (resized).jpegIMG_1812 (resized).jpeg

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Fiddler:

Inspired by PinMonk, I decided to build the lockdown bar with a working button. I was able to find all the parts except the wire harness (part# 036-5600-17) and I was informed that Stern would likely never fulfill such an order at this time. I built the wire harness, but I ordered the wrong connector. My OCD required me to finish the project, so I just soldered on some extra connectors from Pinstadium. It's a little messy, but it works great. Thanks for the instructions.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome. I was able to get the harness through pinball life as a special order, but with the parts shortages maybe they are holding that stuff tighter. At least you were able to work around it. I definitely prefer seeing it with the button there.

#5 2 years ago

Oh wow, I uh....didn't know anyone loved those buttons THAT much....

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

They're great for location and for kids. In a home lineup, it's just nice to have your Spike machine formats all match.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I didn't even know what they were for...

9 months later
#8 1 year ago

So close to finishing this project. Missing three parts, the harness, LED bracket (535-0368-00) and fish paper for that assembly. The last two is part of the full assembly thats $25+shipping, but a big pricey just for a bracket and paper insulation. Might just see if 3d printing a bracket is good enough. Paper I'm a little newb in that application...I should be able to use electrical tape, right? And the harness I'll just need to find the connector types to order.

#9 1 year ago

One of my favorite things about Maiden is the LACK of this button. I can't imagine wanting to install one EVER.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

One of my favorite things about Maiden is the LACK of this button. I can't imagine wanting to install one EVER.

Lol, OCD on having them next to other Elwins and having them match. Really dont care if a game has it or not in general...but just for this one =)

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

So close to finishing this project. Missing three parts, the harness, LED bracket (535-0368-00) and fish paper for that assembly. The last two is part of the full assembly thats $25+shipping, but a big pricey just for a bracket and paper insulation. Might just see if 3d printing a bracket is good enough. Paper I'm a little newb in that application...I should be able to use electrical tape, right? And the harness I'll just need to find the connector types to order.

There's nothing special about the fish paper, it's just a special kind that insulates. Get a bulk roll of it off ebay and you'll have plenty on hand to cut a piece whenever you need it for like $7.50 shipped.

ebay.com link: itm

Did you email Terry at pinball life to see if he could special order you just the LED bracket? It was a few years since I did it, but I definitely got just the bracket by itself for $3.99. But, honestly, if you have a 3d printer, you can probably make a "good enough" bracket.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's nothing special about the fish paper, it's just a special kind that insulates. Get a bulk roll of it off ebay and you'll have plenty on hand to cut a piece whenever you need it for like $7.50 shipped.
ebay.com link: itm
Did you check with Terry at pinball life to see if he could special order you just the LED bracket? It was a few years since I did it, but I definitely got just the bracket by itself for $3.99.

Yeah, I"ll message him. I honestly should have from the get-go when I placed the order. Like the lockdown bar came with the full button assembly already on it, so should have inquired to reduce having duplicate parts as well. At least for the assembly wasnt a big deal for ~10 bucks more. Thanks!

11 months later
#13 9 months ago

Randomly just found this thread, now I want to do it lol

#14 9 months ago

For what it’s worth the new Maidens seem to be shipping with the receiver that accepts the lighted button so it’s even easier to do this now.

#15 9 months ago
Quoted from qbass187:

For what it’s worth the new Maidens seem to be shipping with the receiver that accepts the lighted button so it’s even easier to do this now.

Made a note of that in the instructions. Thanks for pointing that out! Saves $25.

#16 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Made a note of that in the instructions. Thanks for pointing that out! Saves $25.

Little update to this as I'm going through it. The receivers on the new maidens are set up for a button BUT the brackets you have listed will not work on these guys.

The new Sterns have a singular leaf switch/LED bracket (see pic) that I have not been able to track down a part number or a source for.

So it looks like that reciever that was listed originally is still the best option for anyone looking to do this mod...for the moment.
IMG_6242 (resized).jpegIMG_6242 (resized).jpeg

#17 9 months ago
Quoted from qbass187:

Little update to this as I'm going through it. The receivers on the new maidens are set up for a button BUT the brackets you have listed will not work on these guys.
The new Sterns have a singular leaf switch/LED bracket (see pic) that I have not been able to track down a part number or a source for.
So it looks like that reciever that was listed originally is still the best option for anyone looking to do this mod...for the moment.
[quoted image]

Thanks for updating this as you go through it with the current parts situation.

#18 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for updating this as you go through it with the current parts situation.

Absolutely!! I didn’t want anyone getting messed
up. It’s a pretty sweet mod.
Hopefully the bracket on the current Stern lockdown button assembly will be available as some point soon and I can reinstall the original receiver with the corner braces.
IMG_6298 (resized).jpegIMG_6298 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#19 8 months ago

I did this little project on my maiden, thanks for sharing Vic. My button works for launch ball and entering high scores. It lights red/yellow for launch ball.

In attract mode though it’s not lit at all like other pics in this thread and doesn’t start a game. Am I missing an option in menu? It’s set to blinking under attract mode illumination, have also tried always on. Button works to launch ball and the fact it lights yellow must mean the green is working so everything is wired up ok

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

I did this little project on my maiden, thanks for sharing Vic. My button works for launch ball and entering high scores. It lights red/yellow for launch ball.
In attract mode though it’s not lit at all like other pics in this thread and doesn’t start a game. Am I missing an option in menu? It’s set to blinking under attract mode illumination, have also tried always on. Button works to launch ball and the fact it lights yellow must mean the green is working so everything is wired up ok

Look through the setting. I think there may be a couple of them you need to enable IIRC.

#21 8 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

You probably have to turn on the option that allows you to start a new game using the action button for it to blink like the start button does. There's definitely a setting for that.

Other than that, I don't know. It's been too long since I did this and I don't have the machine anymore, so maybe someone can jump in that has also done it.

#22 8 months ago

Setting for start game on lockdown button is in the feature menu not standard menu, I was looking in the wrong place!

#23 8 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Setting for start game on lockdown button is in the feature menu not standard menu, I was looking in the wrong place!

It's blinking green now in attract mode? If so, you might want to post the adjustment number for posterity, too.

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's blinking green now in attract mode? If so, you might want to post the adjustment number for posterity, too.

Yes it now blinks green in attract mode and can be used to start game

Code v1.13 pro
- standard adjustment #55 - start button attract mode illum
- feature adjustment #168 - start game from lockdown button

#25 8 months ago

Does the lockdown button work properly with IC for home-team & selecting players?

#26 8 months ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Does the lockdown button work properly with IC for home-team & selecting players?

Yes

2 weeks later
#27 7 months ago

I installed the lockdown bar button on my iron maiden premium and everything seems to work except one thing. Home team does not seem to work. When you hold the left flipper button to start home team you can't choose a player, hitting the lockdown bar button starts a game.

I looked for more settings but couldn't locate anything.

#28 7 months ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I installed the lockdown bar button on my iron maiden premium and everything seems to work except one thing. Home team does not seem to work. When you hold the left flipper button to start home team you can't choose a player, hitting the lockdown bar button starts a game.
I looked for more settings but couldn't locate anything.

I didn't have IC on the Maiden machine I did, so maybe someone else can chime in.

#29 7 months ago

Lockbar button doesn’t work for home team for me. I haven’t looked into settings for it as I’m the only one that uses it consistently so left flipper logs me in automatically and then I can just press start.

You should still be able to press both flipper buttons to log in different people though.

#30 7 months ago

Same here, left flipper/Start. I don’t think the lockdown button works to start a game on any of my Sterns… unless I’m misunderstanding the issue.

#31 7 months ago
Quoted from qbass187:

Same here, left flipper/Start. I don’t think the lockdown button works to start a game on any of my Sterns… unless I’m misunderstanding the issue.

On games that come with the button standard, it should choose the player from your home team list, then you press start to start the game. I don't know if maiden should work that way or not since it wasn't standard equipment.

#32 7 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

On games that come with the button standard, it should choose the player from your home team list, then you press start to start the game. I don't know if maiden should work that way or not since it wasn't standard equipment.

It's probably just the issue that the small code scraps Keith threw us to make the action button work and light didn't include IC functionality since that didn't exist when this was done. Then, the IC code that was added to Maiden didn't support the action button because the action button didn't ship with the machine.

I'll ask Keith about it, but I don't expect a positive answer about it getting addressed.

1 month later
#33 6 months ago
Quoted from qbass187:

[quoted image]

It looks like the part is now available. Sadly, the Leaf Switch For Action/Fire Button is currently out of stock.

------
Product ID: 535-2050-00
Stern Action/Fire Button Switch And Lamp Bracket

"Bracket for the action/fire button switch & lamp on some (but not all) Stern lockdown bars.
Stern #535-2050-00."

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-actionfire-button-switch-and-lamp-bracket.html

4 weeks later
#34 5 months ago

This a cool idea, already thought about that

1 month later
#35 3 months ago

The new bracket from pinball life installed perfectly on my 2023 Iron Maiden Pro. I will hold out hope for HomeTeam/IC functionality, but it does work for ball launch/song select, starting a game (I might turn this off), and entering initials. Thank you PinMonk for detailing the install.

Product ID: 535-2050-00
Stern Action/Fire Button Switch And Lamp Bracket

IMG_2777 (resized).jpegIMG_2777 (resized).jpegIMG_2781 (resized).jpegIMG_2781 (resized).jpeg
#36 3 months ago

Hey Guys - I talked with Terry at Pinball Life regarding getting all the parts to to install an action button going on IMDN and he graciously came up with this kit that includes everything you would need.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-actionfire-button-switch-and-lamp-assembly-with-harness.html

And

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-dual-latch-lockdown-bar-with-action-button-hole.html

Keep in mind if you have an older IMDN build without the hole you'll need to update the bracket too

Hopefully if more of us update and when Keith (or someone on the IC team) are less busy we can get them to update the code so the functionality for home team matches our other Spike 2 games (hit the action button to add a player)

For those of you who hate action buttons - ignore this post!

#37 3 months ago

Thank you for this - just ordered and looks like an easy install since I have the latest run.

#38 3 months ago
Quoted from 11strings:

Hey Guys - I talked with Terry at Pinball Life regarding getting all the parts to to install an action button going on IMDN and he graciously came up with this kit that includes everything you would need.
And
Keep in mind if you have an older IMDN build without the hole you'll need to update the bracket too
Hopefully if more of us update and when Keith (or someone on the IC team) are less busy we can get them to update the code so the functionality for home team matches our other Spike 2 games (hit the action button to add a player)

Great news. I'll add the links to the OP!

#39 3 months ago

Good call. Installation was a breeze. Button works to start a game and also lights up when it’s time to plunge and works well. Doesn’t work selecting home team (yet) but hopefully that can be arranged with a minor code update. Thanks guys.

3 weeks later
#40 87 days ago
Quoted from 11strings:

And

I just got a June 2023 build and was so happy to see that you guys did this. I love the Pinball Community.

1 week later
#41 80 days ago

Anyone wish to create and sell me a cool Iron Maiden action button surround magnet decal?

#42 80 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Anyone wish to create and sell me a cool Iron Maiden action button surround magnet decal?

And then sell me one too!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-how-to-add-a-working-lockdown-bar-button?hl=redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.