Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

650FC1A5-494F-48C8-9B1C-912735C82896 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5618 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_7617366_0 (resized).png
    20230609_134449 (resized).jpg
    bleh (resized).png
    70785028539__F76136F1-4E08-4685-B040-B4AA5F08F78E (resized).jpeg
    70785027256__D6C346B8-5273-4B58-A113-999D1BAD3F4B (resized).jpeg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 months ago

Finally got my Maiden, first stern I ever bought. Box was in perfect shape , opened the box to see disaster . Unreal. 7k for this .

70785027256__D6C346B8-5273-4B58-A113-999D1BAD3F4B (resized).jpeg70785027256__D6C346B8-5273-4B58-A113-999D1BAD3F4B (resized).jpeg70785028539__F76136F1-4E08-4685-B040-B4AA5F08F78E (resized).jpeg70785028539__F76136F1-4E08-4685-B040-B4AA5F08F78E (resized).jpeg
    #2 10 months ago

Sorry to see this. Reach out to your distributor - they can have new decals sent out. Just cosmetic, hopefully the playfield is perfect - that’s what matters most.

#3 10 months ago

I did, just waiting to hear back. Frustrating . These games are pieces of art. It should be treated that way .

#4 10 months ago

Agreed. Hoping you get a quick resolution!

#5 10 months ago

Decals will not install themselves. Go in ask from Stern would be what is your process for getting replacment machine.
    Best luck Shane

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Decals will not install themselves. Go in ask from Stern would be what is your process for getting replacment machine.
    Best luck Shane

No shit - the average Joe isn't just gonna put decals on a game themselves. I sure as hell wouldn't if it was my game -

"Sorry your engine blew - we'll send you another one. Love, Chevrolet."

#7 10 months ago

I’m sure it is a tedious process to strip and re-decal, definitely would prefer a swap for another machine. Time may be the key factor at play here. Hopefully they have another one they can swap it for immediately. Definitely frustrating as hell.

#8 10 months ago

I would raise all hell to get a replacement. Like getting a new car with scratches all over the paint.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

No shit - the average Joe isn't just gonna put decals on a game themselves. I sure as hell wouldn't if it was my game -
    "Sorry your engine blew - we'll send you another one. Love, Chevrolet."

Seriously? 2 downvotes for that?

Chevy lovers or what?

#10 10 months ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Sorry to see this. Reach out to your distributor - they can have new decals sent out. Just cosmetic, hopefully the playfield is perfect - that’s what matters most.

That's not enough, not at these prices. Stern should have a tech come out and replace those decals free of charge or offer to exchange the game. This is a $7k brand new pinball machine and this type of quality is not acceptable.

To the OP, ask for a replacement machine or at the bare minimum for someone to replace the decals onsite. Stern and every other manufacturer have increased their prices and need to realize that customers expectations of quality have dramatically increased because of it. Want to charge all time record prices? Fine but expect customers to demand top quality.

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern show have a tech come out and replace those decals free of charge or offer to exchange the game.

Has Stern ever sent out anyone to fix a game issue? I've never heard of it. Usually they (reluctantly) just send you the parts and it's up to you to replace it. I have heard of American Pinball sending someone out but it was in Chicago so just a few feet away.

It surprises me how some of this makes it through QC, if they even have that.

#12 10 months ago

Yes this sucks . I prefer a new game. This is so frustrating . Waited months for this. First machine I ever bought and this happens . ‍♂️ I’ll keep you posted

#13 10 months ago

Your warranty is parts only.

I've got a dog in this race, but once again some innocent buyer didn't buy through a dealer who would unbox the machine, check for damage, repair anything that is broken and then deliver a working machine to the customer.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have a 280lb box delivered to your curb, but if you do, YOU have to deal with the problems on a very expensive purchase.

And the system for making pinballs isn't set up for delivery to home users.

The system for pinballs used to be that the manufacturer would sell to a distributor, 50 or a hundred machines. Then the distributor would receive the machines, check them out, burn them in for 24 hours, and extend the warranty. Operators would go to the Distributor's showroom and buy a couple of machines for their route. The operators would take the machines to the bars, taverns, pizza places and start operating them for money.

(Cargument) Cars are shipped from the manufacturer to dealers where they go through an extensive checklist. Customers don't see the car until it's checked for shipping damage and it passes inspection.

But pinballs with a Bill of Materials that exceeds 3000 parts...

Well, people see a picture on their phone and swipe right, presuming that everything is going to turn out OK.

(shakes head)

I AM sorry this happened to you. I wish you had found a local dealer/distributor who would have done what I do: Get it delivered, unbox it, set it up, test it, Install shaker motors or mirror blades or other things per the customer request. THEN call the customer for delivery. Bring it to the customer, put it upstairs (it's always upstairs...), level it, talk through the common operation questions people have. Make sure it works after bouncing it down the road in a truck and up a flight of stairs. Then, if you have problems within the first few days after delivery (common), service the machine to make sure everything is right. Do a one year bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, and provide service after the warranty period (at a modest cost) for the life of the machine.

I've got a dog in this race, but from my corner of the world I'd rather be on the side of making sure that pinball buyers have an awesome trouble free experience.

You'll have to go through your dealer to get this resolved. Contact whoever you bought it from.

Good luck!

#14 10 months ago

The box does not appear to be in perfect shape...

#15 10 months ago

Easy fix. Relax

#16 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The box does not appear to be in perfect shape...

It is if you ignore the two bullet holes, the very clear impact/crumpling region on the right and the broken pallet.

OP: Sorry this happened. Like others said, contact your distributor, they'll most likely work something out.

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern should have a tech come out and replace those decals free of charge or offer to exchange the game.

Read your warranty.

That's not what you bought. You bought a machine with the warranty that it has, not what you think it should be, not what you wish it would be.

That having been said, I'm proud to be in a business (pinball sellers) where the dealers and the manufacturers really do go out of their way to make things right. I'm sure that this will be resolved... eventually.

People think that they want the 'I unboxed it myself' experience.

(shakes head)

Nah.

What they want is a flawless delivery of an amazing entertainment device that is all fun, and no trouble. I can't deliver that, but I work really hard to make that experience for my customers as close as possible to 'all fun, no trouble'.

#18 10 months ago

would black out your name and address in the pic ...

sorry this happened to you especially with your first pin !

#19 10 months ago

Is the front corner of the pallet smashed and the box drooping off of it?

Also, what did this? A vampire?

bleh (resized).pngbleh (resized).png
    #20 10 months ago

Look on the bright side: in 2017, this would have been a $5200 NIB game. Now, you get to pay $1800 more for the same product AND get it damaged AND your warranty doesn't cover it, AND it's not something simple.

Keep paying these prices, guys!!! We will sure show Stern and company!!!

#21 10 months ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Easy fix. Relax

Easy? Go on…

#22 10 months ago
    Quoted from Compy:

It is if you ignore the two bullet holes, the very clear impact/crumpling region on the right and the broken pallet.
    OP: Sorry this happened. Like others said, contact your distributor, they'll most likely work something out.

Exactly. I don't know, I guess the whole "7k FoR tHiS!??" rubs me the wrong way. I don't think the game left stern that way, it looks like shipping damage to me and the box also tells that story.

#23 10 months ago

Yeah, I agree. I'm interested in this answer. If it is, I'll do both AFM and TAF in one weekend!!

#24 10 months ago

I’ll keep you posted

#25 10 months ago

They definitely won't send you a new machine for that. Chances are they'll offer decals, but there's a small chance you might be able to get a new cabinet. My AIQ cabinet got replaced due to some obvious factory damage cover-up, though it took like 6 months to actually get it.

#26 10 months ago

I'd be curious OP:

Was this delivered to your house by a carrier? If not, was it by chance loaded onto that truck with the pallet still attached, and then pivoted off of the tail gate right around that middle right region (on the "do not truck side" specifically)?

That would cause what we're seeing on that side of the box, could account for the broken pallet (where the bottom hit the ground and the middle section rested on its side on the tailgate), and account for the rub damage on the artwork.

#27 10 months ago

Best case scenario Stern will ship you a new cab. But then it's up to you to do the swap; it sucks. This is why I never buy NIB.

#28 10 months ago

If paid by credit card might have some protection, or some more leverage if they get involved.

#29 10 months ago

Curious, who was your distributer?

#30 10 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Curious, who was your distributer?

I'm guessing Automated.

#31 10 months ago

Looks like shipping damage. This becomes sticky if so. Did you inspect and report issues/damage prior to signing the shipping bill or shipping carrier leaving? Your claim is likely with the shipping carrier not Stern. This game very like did not leave Stern damaged like that. I hope it all works out in your favor. I get the frustration.

#32 10 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Your warranty is parts only.
    I've got a dog in this race, but once again some innocent buyer didn't buy through a dealer who would unbox the machine, check for damage, repair anything that is broken and then deliver a working machine to the customer.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't have a 280lb box delivered to your curb, but if you do, YOU have to deal with the problems on a very expensive purchase.
    And the system for making pinballs isn't set up for delivery to home users.
    The system for pinballs used to be that the manufacturer would sell to a distributor, 50 or a hundred machines. Then the distributor would receive the machines, check them out, burn them in for 24 hours, and extend the warranty. Operators would go to the Distributor's showroom and buy a couple of machines for their route. The operators would take the machines to the bars, taverns, pizza places and start operating them for money.
    (Cargument) Cars are shipped from the manufacturer to dealers where they go through an extensive checklist. Customers don't see the car until it's checked for shipping damage and it passes inspection.
    But pinballs with a Bill of Materials that exceeds 3000 parts...
    Well, people see a picture on their phone and swipe right, presuming that everything is going to turn out OK.
    (shakes head)
    I AM sorry this happened to you. I wish you had found a local dealer/distributor who would have done what I do: Get it delivered, unbox it, set it up, test it, Install shaker motors or mirror blades or other things per the customer request. THEN call the customer for delivery. Bring it to the customer, put it upstairs (it's always upstairs...), level it, talk through the common operation questions people have. Make sure it works after bouncing it down the road in a truck and up a flight of stairs. Then, if you have problems within the first few days after delivery (common), service the machine to make sure everything is right. Do a one year bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, and provide service after the warranty period (at a modest cost) for the life of the machine.
    I've got a dog in this race, but from my corner of the world I'd rather be on the side of making sure that pinball buyers have an awesome trouble free experience.
    You'll have to go through your dealer to get this resolved. Contact whoever you bought it from.
    Good luck!

I bought my last pinball machine from a local dealer who insisted on your model and it was great, compared to my previous that were directly shipped to my house.

Unboxing is overrated anyways. I guess snapping pics of the process helps prove true HUO later when people sell but the convenience having the machine “white glove” delivered and set up beats having to worry about damage out of the box and getting rid of all that cardboard.

#33 10 months ago

Your distributor will help, start there.

#34 10 months ago

My first pinball, Godzilla was delivered smashed up inside. The box was perfect. No cuts, crumbles or anything, so I signed for it and brought it inside. Apparently the pallet must’ve been dropped at some point and the cabinet was badly damaged from impact damage.

I called the distributor and he set it up that it was sent back to stern for repair the next day. 2 months later I had a pristine Godzilla (in a new cabinet) sent back to me. Sucked to wait but it all worked out for the best.

The second time it was delivered, even though the box was perfect again, I insisted on opening it before signing for it to inspect and FedEx had no problem with me doing that. Live and learn.

On a side note, it’s not a big deal to remove these decals and install new ones.

#35 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Seriously? 2 downvotes for that?
    Chevy lovers or what?

If you think decals on a pinball machine are equivalent to an engine on a vehicle, well, I don’t know what to tell you.

#36 10 months ago

I couldn't see the pic with the holes in the box until someone reposted it later.

My $.02. If I see holes that have penetrated the box, crumpled corners, or a broken pallet, the driver will have to wait until I've at least opened up the box and inspected the condition of the cabinet. I'm not signing anything until I'm satisfied.

So kinda on the buyer here to do their due diligence. Yeah it's upsetting, but OP signed off on it. Any claims with the shipping company are moot. The distro will likely be able to get you a new set of decals, but that's the most I would expect. Chalk it up to lesson learned for next time. In the mean time, set it up and play your game!

#37 10 months ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

My first pinball, Godzilla was delivered smashed up inside. The box was perfect. No cuts, crumbles or anything, so I signed for it and brought it inside. Apparently the pallet must’ve been dropped at some point and the cabinet was badly damaged from impact damage.
    I called the distributor and he set it up that it was sent back to stern for repair the next day. 2 months later I had a pristine Godzilla (in a new cabinet) sent back to me. Sucked to wait but it all worked out for the best.
    The second time it was delivered, even though the box was perfect again, I insisted on opening it before signing for it to inspect and FedEx had no problem with me doing that. Live and learn.
    On a side note, it’s not a big deal to remove these decals and install new ones.

Glad they took care of you, that's good to hear year. It's always nerve wracking opening a NIB game.

Just have to say though, it's a huge pain in the a$$ to install decals and no one should have to do that for a NIB purchase. To do so properly you really need to remove the playfield, remove the head + head bolts, and then set the game on it's side. Who in the world wants to do that after dropping $7k - $13k+ on a NIB pin? No one.

#38 10 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Glad they took care of you, that's good to hear year. It's always nerve wracking opening a NIB game.
    Just have to say though, it's a huge pain in the a$$ to install decals and no one should have to do that for a NIB purchase. To do so properly you really need to remove the playfield, remove the head + head bolts, and then set the game on it's side. Who in the world wants to do that after dropping $7k - $13k+ on a NIB pin? No one.

Oh ya I definitely agree. I’d hope the distributor would take care of you first in this case but it being a cosmetic fix is the silver lining.

#39 10 months ago

Im not an expert.

On the decal replacement, I've replaced a head decal on an IMVE. The decal was surprisingly easy to peel off. Clean off the surface with some kind of alcohol or acetone. Then use the wet method (a couple drops of dawn dish soap in a spray bottle and fill with water) spray the decal with the backing removed and the surface of cabinet, apply and set the decal into place and squeegee (use a credit card in a pinch) and push from the center out. Have some paper towel on hand to soak up the soapy water or clean it up from your floor later. Two people would be helpful for the cabinet part.

If you want to do it dry, use the hinge method. Set the decal into place with the backing still on, use painter's tape to tape down one edge of the decal to the cabinet. This creates a hinge. From the hinge side, peel a couple inches of the backing and start to apply, using one hand to smooth the decal. As you proceed, use your other hand to remove the backing, working your way down. You kind of only have one shot with this method.

Wet method allows for more adjustment. Either way will work.

I'm sure some professional restorers can chime in.

#40 10 months ago

I have received games from Stern with jacked up decals. Surprisingly they were from the metal conveyor ramp they use to load the games into cardboard boxes with. They will either send you a new set to do yourself or you can send it back to Stern for repair and it could take some time. It sucks but Stern will take care of it.

#41 10 months ago

Sorry your game was damaged. That's a bummer.

However, you can play it and enjoy the heck out of it while you wait to have the decal situation resolved.

I once had my very young son scratch up an nicely restored STTNG. It was frustrating, but it did not affect gameplay in the slightest!

#42 10 months ago

If stern doesn’t take it back, should be the distro responsibility to have the decals replaced and send someone that knows how to do it to replace them. So start with the distro and see what they recommend is the best course of correction is.

#43 10 months ago

Ahh...the good ol' days when cabs were screen printed...

#44 10 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

I AM sorry this happened to you. I wish you had found a local dealer/distributor who would have done what I do: Get it delivered, unbox it, set it up, test it, Install shaker motors or mirror blades or other things per the customer request. THEN call the customer for delivery. Bring it to the customer, put it upstairs (it's always upstairs...), level it, talk through the common operation questions people have. Make sure it works after bouncing it down the road in a truck and up a flight of stairs.

WTF! A. Congrats on being a great dealer. B. that exists almost nowhere. C. Are charging MSRP?

#45 10 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you think decals on a pinball machine are equivalent to an engine on a vehicle, well, I don’t know what to tell you.

There's a difference??? Really?

It was just a comparison, obviously - would a car manufacturer expect you to do an engine swap if their engine failed.....you must just be in a mood today.....

#46 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

There's a difference??? Really?
    It was just a comparison, obviously - would a car manufacturer expect you to do an engine swap if their engine failed.....you must just be in a mood today.....

Cars aren’t comparable to pinball machines is my point. It’s not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you. It’s okay.

#47 10 months ago

Put it in between two pins...problem fixed.. your distributor can get you replacement decals but imo it's not worth the hassle of putting them on.

#48 10 months ago

I bought my 1st ever brand new machine after having owned 70-80 or so. My distributor delivered and setup the game. If it had that damage, no way would I have taken delivery.

#49 10 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cars aren’t comparable to pinball machines is my point. It’s not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you. It’s okay.

I wasn't comparing a car to a pinball machine - it's not the end of the world if you didn't understand though. It's okay.

#50 10 months ago

Whatever happened to Stern games that had splitting cabinets? Did Stern ever replace them or offer a partial refund?

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-delivered-but and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.