imdnLenses (resized).jpg
20190225_173920-01 (resized).jpeg
20190225_173245-01 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190119_122234 (resized).jpg
8D782DCD-4EB9-4E4B-9337-9C22B2FCA2E2 (resized).jpeg
988C1631-8A35-4C69-A067-67B21244A738 (resized).jpeg
E4BE32DF-E5BA-437C-BD18-99D4E826614C (resized).jpeg
A414AB01-6433-46EE-8162-35BBADA9E636 (resized).jpeg
There are 286 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 5 years ago

I just installed mine. It took about the same time to remove the glass as it did to install it. Super simple, looks great. Highly recommend.

#52 5 years ago

Dang - hope mine shows up here soon!

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Dang - hope mine shows up here soon!

I think because you take more hops with our newer, more stripped down USPS it takes a little longer. Tracking says you'll get it Monday. I'll PM you the number.

#54 5 years ago

Can't beat the price! Looking forward to mine

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Can't beat the price! Looking forward to mine

I had to raise the price on these to $20 from here forward. After making a LOT of these now and having a better handle on the time involved to make them, I definitely priced them, um, a little too aggressively.

Added over 5 years ago:

One last price bump to $23 to cover the extra time of now gluing 10 corners per frame to secure the lenses from being popped out by errant fingers at install time. I'll have a little better handle now on what's involved by the time the F-U-E-L lens bracket is released shortly and price it right the first time.

#57 5 years ago

Put mine in this afternoon- it looks great- Thank you Vic!

#58 5 years ago

I installed mine today. Its well designed and looks fantastic. The way it should have been from the factory.

#59 5 years ago

Still don’t own the game but will soon hopefully. Looks great and well made.
Thx

#60 5 years ago

Great quality!!! Thanks again

#61 5 years ago

Got mine, nice job, two minutes to install.

#62 5 years ago

Got mine as well. Very nice and professional looking product. Easy to install and makes your machine look like it should have from the factory. thanks!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I had to raise the price on these to $20 from here forward. After making a LOT of these now and having a better handle on the time involved to make them, I definitely priced them, um, a little too aggressively.

Even at 20 bucks, this is a steal. Way to cheap for such a professionally made mod.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Even at 20 bucks, this is a steal. Way to cheap for such a professionally made mod.

Thanks! Initially I thought I'd just print a bunch and ship them out, underestimating the amount of time to print each one and especially the time to populate each one with lenses. It's been much more popular than I expected, even after I had to bump the price. Glad everyone seems to like it.

#65 5 years ago

Here's a decent pic of all of the colors lit up... And another new GC score for me. I was joking the first time I said it helps you play better but now.. maybe there's something to it!

IMG_20181120_141952 (resized).jpgIMG_20181120_141952 (resized).jpg
#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Here's a decent pic of all of the colors lit up... And another new GC score for me. I was joking the first time I said it helps you play better but now.. maybe there's something to it!
[quoted image]

Well, I don't want to promise higher scores, but the anecdotal evidence is piling up!

#67 5 years ago

All International orders (except for one that asked me to hold) are now shipped!

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Just installed mine. It looks great! It also apparently helps you play better! I got only my 2nd or 3rd cyborg multiball (couldn't hit crap once it started though - got less than a million in the mode... ), was one mode away from 2 minutes to madness (I assume finishing all 5 missions starts that, I've never done it...), and got a new GC score! All for only $14, that's a steal!
[quoted image]

That's awesome because I suck

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks! Initially I thought I'd just print a bunch and ship them out, underestimating the amount of time to print each one and especially the time to populate each one with lenses. It's been much more popular than I expected, even after I had to bump the price. Glad everyone seems to like it.

Best 2 mods of the year - ColorDMD gasket and the lens tree. Very effective and won't drain the hobby piggy bank!

#70 5 years ago

This thing looks great! And again...you can't beat the price! 2 screw, 1 minute install. Looks better than I imagined it would. Thanks for a great mod!

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

This thing looks great! And again...you can't beat the price! 2 screw, 1 minute install. Looks better than I imagined it would. Thanks for a great mod!

I agree, Vireland is the man! I could always tell that he is a very thorough person by his posts and you can tell by this mod that he does things right and not half ass.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Best 2 mods of the year - ColorDMD gasket and the lens tree. Very effective and won't drain the hobby piggy bank!

That's very nice of you to say! It's kind of accidental that I ended up here, but it was a case of no one else making these and I needed a solution, then when I was done, I felt I should share.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I think the colors are as close to dead on as they can get without getting custom colored plastic sheets made, which would make it way too expensive. The blue of Aces High is the smallest of smidges too light, and the orange of Hallowed Be Thy Name is the smallest of smidges too dark. But these are VERY nit-picky criticisms of the final colors. Everyone who has them has been very happy and they look great in the game.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree, Vireland is the man! I could always tell that he is a very thorough person by his posts and you can tell by this mod that he does things right and not half ass.

Heh. I try to be thorough with the designs. The lens tree is evolving a little more since some people have accidentally popped the lenses out (if you press in the middle of a lens, it flexes and will come out of the brackets), so the ones from here out will have a dot of hot glue in each of the 4 corners to stop that from happening if someone grabs it carelessly when installing.

Speaking of designs, the stern spike power supply fan replacement mods to make them silent (34.6dB stock down to 12.6dB with the mod) will be taking pre-orders starting tomorrow since the plug and play kits are on their way from the factory now...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans/

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Heh. I try to be thorough with the designs. The lens tree is evolving a little more since some people have accidentally popped the lenses out (if you press in the middle of a lens, it flexes and will come out of the brackets), so the ones from here out will have a dot of hot glue in each of the 4 corners to stop that from happening if someone grabs it carelessly when installing.

Yeah, I pushed a couple out when I was installing it, so that's a good update.

#76 5 years ago

Got mine installed tonight. I say this as a compliment, this is absolutely the way the game should have come from the factory.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Got mine installed tonight. I say this as a compliment, this is absolutely the way the game should have come from the factory.

I'll take the compliment, thanks. Not so sure about Stern.

Working on the fuel gauge for Metallica. Since they're all individual light boards, experimenting with being able to snap them into the "tray" so they're in the bracket, right over the lenses, which would eliminate the need to put a screw in every board. You'd only have to screw the first and last hole on the bracket (optionally).

#78 5 years ago

Mine is installed. Thought I would give an A/B comparison for everyone. Great mod and it looks awesome! Thanks!

A5FEAE93-7478-4201-9FCB-10D0785FA910 (resized).jpegA5FEAE93-7478-4201-9FCB-10D0785FA910 (resized).jpeg36C1FE52-44F7-432F-AF23-230045B25356 (resized).jpeg36C1FE52-44F7-432F-AF23-230045B25356 (resized).jpegE777F70C-50BB-4752-8DCC-1B5FB97E0960 (resized).jpegE777F70C-50BB-4752-8DCC-1B5FB97E0960 (resized).jpeg
#79 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Mine is installed. Thought I would give an A/B comparison for everyone. Great mod and it looks awesome! Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

THANKS for that picture! I kept meaning to take a "before" and kept forgetting. Really drives the improvement home.

Do you mind if I add your side by side to the OP?

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

THANKS for that picture! I kept meaning to take a "before" and kept forgetting. Really drives the improvement home.
Do you mind if I add your side by side to the OP?

Not at all.

#81 5 years ago

Got mine installed today. Love the look of colored mode lights. Thanks!

#82 5 years ago

Installed mine last night, really slick easy mod. Thanks again Vireland!

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Installed mine last night, really slick easy mod. Thanks again Vireland!

Thanks for supporting the effort!

#84 5 years ago

Pm sent

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for supporting the effort!

Hoping mine shows up today! So excited to add it. I had a nice billion game last night. I think this mod will help me get to 2B ))))))

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Hoping mine shows up today! So excited to add it. I had a nice billion game last night. I think this mod will help me get to 2B ))))))

Looks like it's set for delivery today, so you'll be set!

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is how nearly every mod ends up for me (often times having to bump the price as well, and occasionally going nights without sleep to make deadlines I set). And on some of mine, it's incredibly disheartening to have an 18+ hour print fail 14 hours in (while most of my large mods have been very popular, some do scoff at pricing, but anyone that has done 3D design and printing knows what really goes into some of it [weeks of design/redesigns, failures, printer repairs, each print during production...] before the circuits, paint, film inserts [in your case], etc. go into it)...

I knew immediately you were shorting yourself on this mod $19.99 + $4.99 shipping is where I would have started. Not complaining that I got in on the early pricing though All of my friends dig the upgrade

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

This is how nearly every mod ends up for me (often times having to bump the price as well, and occasionally going nights without sleep to make deadlines I set). And on some of mine, it's incredibly disheartening to have an 18+ hour print fail 14 hours in (while most of my large mods have been very popular, some do scoff at pricing, but anyone that has done 3D design and printing knows what really goes into some of it [weeks of design/redesigns, failures, printer repairs, each print during production...] before the circuits, paint, film inserts [in your case], etc. go into it)...
I knew immediately you were shorting yourself on this mod $19.99 + $4.99 shipping is where I would have started. Not complaining that I got in on the early pricing though All of my friends dig the upgrade

The prints aren't so bad (very few failures, knock on wood), but the lenses and process of inserting five per frame and now gluing 10 dots, 2 per color, as well for a little extra protection against careless fingers punching the lenses out of their slots. It all takes time, and I didn't realize how much until I was doing it. I think this is pretty close to right now. I may raise it another couple dollars for the gluing time, but I'll see how it goes.

#89 5 years ago

All the replacement lenses have been sent out to the very first shipment of these lens trees I sent out with slightly different colors. They'll arrive poly-bagged in a cardboard sleeve in a small envelope. Just pop out the lenses you have and insert the replacements. Note that the lenses are not perfectly square, so if you're having trouble getting them in the slots, rotate 90 degrees and try again.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The prints aren't so bad (very few failures, knock on wood), but the lenses and process of inserting five per frame and now gluing 10 dots, 2 per color, as well for a little extra protection against careless fingers punching the lenses out of their slots. It all takes time, and I didn't realize how much until I was doing it. I think this is pretty close to right now. I may raise it another couple dollars for the gluing time, but I'll see how it goes.

I actually hadn't noticed the film was being glued in. One of my inserts was loose on arrival, but it held in fine on its own when placed back in.

Very rarely do my small prints fail once dialed in, but the large prints (LDG for example goes through a full 25% of a spool) find ways to get a clogged nozzle, or the dreaded spool jam that drags the whole computer unit (CR10) over to the main frame...of course meaning the nozzle is likely inches above where the print failed (when unmonitored too long). Unfortunately there's no fail-safe on any of my machines :/ But now I'm derailing the thread...or...free bump! haha

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I actually hadn't noticed the film was being glued in. One of my inserts was loose on arrival, but it held in fine on its own when placed back in.

I didn't start gluing two of the corners on each color until last week more as a preventative measure since a few people had knocked theirs out (not that they're hard to snap back in, but still).

#92 5 years ago

Mod arrived today, it looks great.
Many Thanks

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr-Worf:

Mod arrived today, it looks great.
Many Thanks

Glad you're happy with it. Thanks for supporting the project!

#94 5 years ago

Maybe a dumb idea, but have you thought about pausing the print after the bottom half has printed, laying the lenses in place, then resuming? It might be more trouble than it saves you, but it seems like it would be easier to place them, plus you wouldn't have to glue if you extend the retaining frame.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Maybe a dumb idea, but have you thought about pausing the print after the bottom half has printed, laying the lenses in place, then resuming? It might be more trouble than it saves you, but it seems like it would be easier to place them, plus you wouldn't have to glue if you extend the retaining frame.

Too much baby-sitting the printers to do it that way. I'd have to be around the machines all the time, and no guarantee I don't ruin a print if it doesn't start up again right. Also, leaving it with slots allows the lenses to be changed if someone finds a better color match (however unlikely that is). This way I can batch them and insert lenses and glue a bunch at a time.

#96 5 years ago

I don't even have this game (yet), but want one of these because it's that good of an idea. Sending PM.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Too much baby-sitting the printers to do it that way. I'd have to be around the machines all the time, and no guarantee I don't ruin a print if it doesn't start up again right. Also, leaving it with slots allows the lenses to be changed if someone finds a better color match (however unlikely that is). This way I can batch them and insert lenses and glue a bunch at a time.

You can include the pause in your gcode, but I get what you're saying. I've used the technique for tools with captive handles, etc., so I just thought I'd put it out there.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I don't even have this game (yet), but want one of these because it's that good of an idea. Sending PM.

I don't even own this game either but I ordered 2 for local friends that let me play theirs!

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I don't even own this game either but I ordered 2 for local friends that let me play theirs!

Very thoughtful. You are clearly the kind of friend I need more of!

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

You can include the pause in your gcode, but I get what you're saying. I've used the technique for tools with captive handles, etc., so I just thought I'd put it out there.

I appreciate the suggestion. I will say that I've learned a lot about hot glue string-minimization technique. It's a thing. I had no awareness of it before now.

There are 286 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod/page/2?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.