• Latest reply 5 years ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF7D279D-9B0B-44B6-B28C-C89BD1BDE77F (resized).jpeg
2A6A0414-6CC7-428F-8FE1-C4A173BC6A8D (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I had planned to add TNA this winter and still might. But have been hearing so much good reviews of Maiden got to wonder if that might be the better play.

I have not bought a Stern since STLE which now seems like ages ago.

I’ve not cooled on TNA completely some things have come up. Watching the TNA videos seems like fun *except* watching Bowen’s two videos where he makes it seem ho hum. Every game is exactly the same, start multi ball, work in reactor. If you fall out of multi ball get back and repeat, repeat, repeat.

In addition several TNA owners sell immediately. I know that can happen with every pin, and due to TNA prices being favorable it’s not killing people to try it out and sell it if they don’t love it. But a lot for sale considering how few have shipped.

It’s not just cooling on TNA but also warning up to Maiden.

I only played 1-2 games on Maiden, though it was nice. I really don’t have a firm opinion except that it seems as if a lot of people love it.

Could someone tell me what does Maiden reminds you of (for example rules are like xyz pin?).

I’m sure I’d love TNA but curious if it’s too shallow. Even a shallow pin like AFM or IM has a lot to do (different multi balls and hurry ups) while TNA seems to have just one mode and one multi ball repeatedly.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

TNA has more going for it than just destroying reactors & rinse/repeat. While the gameplay is straight forward, it is really difficult to master. I love that type of gameplay. Bowen makes EVERYTHING look easy, so judging TNA based on watching him is completely misguided. Most people on average are lucky to destroy 3 in a single game.
The challenge lies not only in destroying reactors, but in maximizing the reactor bonus first, then destroying the reactor during multiball for the 3x multiplier. Scoring huge points where the fun lies (for me at least) & proves a long term challenge at home. If your only goal is just to see how many reactors you can destroy, you are missing a whole other level of strategy on TNA. And the difficulty of making those shots increases as the game progresses (alternating orbits, restarting multiballs, etc). Oh did I mention scoring super jackpots at the scoop during multiball? Yeah good luck scoring those on a regular basis.
What looks like a simple game to some is actually layered with scoring depth. Plus there's the insane lightshow, the music & sounds, the classic 80's Bally design, co-op gameplay, the ass-kicking nature of the gameplay that forces you to play better, and on & on. It's a long term keeper for me. Different strokes for different folks tho.
I only played IMDN once, and thought the ball times were long, the shots were easy to make, it had great scoring rules, and it's pretty sweet too. Just depends what you're looking for. You want a modern classic or an 80's classic?

How do you maximize reactor points? I see how you get the reactor critical but after that how is the jackpot built up?

Watching Bowen was a mistake, he was just pushing to get the most reactors down and never shooting anything except the drop target/locks unless he was in multi ball.

#15 5 years ago

I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There is a lot of good advise here already, and I'll start off by saying that I love both games. I think you are exactly right with this statement, "I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins." TNA will certainly be something different in your collection. I believe others have alluded to the fact that TNA plays similar to 80s games, which can be found cheaper. I think that's also true. Do you like 80s games? I would argue it's the best "80s game" that was ever made, but perhaps you feel there is a better value getting a Iron Maiden plus a much cheaper 80s game. It would be hard to fault you for that. In a small collection, I'd probably go with Iron Maiden. In your collection, I'd probably go with TNA. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a TNA and look to trade Spiderman towards an Iron Maiden. Then again, I also like Spiderman. I just feel like you have a few games that give me a similar feel and adding both would increase the variety within your collection. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I do like short ball times.

#53 5 years ago

I had chance to trade SM for TNA but I’m not done with SM or any of my current games so it’s likely add one more at end of year which I currently have TNA on order for. But I’m trying to decide about TNA v Maiden.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Rai - not having a dig - but I’ve never seen anyone try and talk themselves out of buying a pin than you with TnA.
If you have to double guess yourself all the time, maybe it’s not for you? Not every pin is for everyone.
One good thing about TnA is they do not seem to be hard to sell if you don’t like it (as long as you’re not to greedy on the sale price ...)
rd

I’m just trying to get opinions. I’ve heard from some in private and also here in this thread that TNA is not for everyone, that it’s a one trick pony.

Sometimes it’s good to hear both good and bad options on a pin. In the TNA threads it’s only one sided.

#79 5 years ago

I guess I’m looking at this.

Suppose two pins around the same price.

One can sell 2000+ units and the other can sell 500+ units.

Seems like one is 4x more popular ( but it could be that lack of production is lowering the sales of TNA ) no way to say for sure.

Now looking forward it’s possible a very popular game like LotR ( sold tons ) is still in big demand while another pin like BTDK sold few. It’s easy as all getout to sell a used LotR while BTDK needs to find the few people who dig it and might be harder to sell etc.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I don't get the love for IMDN. I put a few games on an LE and have not had the desire to play more. Stood next to one yesterday and just looked at it and the animations in attract mode and just felt "meh" about it. If you like 90's games that have mechs that interact with the ball, then IMDN is not for you. I think that is why I have no attraction to it. Instead of playing IMDN, I put some games on the GOTG, MB, Adams Family, and TOM that were nearby. Whatever choice you make, I hope you enjoy your decision. FYI, RecBar in Louisville, KY has an insane collection in their pinball room. So much better than before, check out their interview on SDTM.

I don’t need to make a decision anytime soon so I can just wait and see after playing various pins what grabs me.

I’ve got more than enough pins to hold my attention, but always thinking what I can buy next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-advice?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.