• Latest reply 5 years ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF7D279D-9B0B-44B6-B28C-C89BD1BDE77F (resized).jpeg
2A6A0414-6CC7-428F-8FE1-C4A173BC6A8D (resized).png
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I had planned to add TNA this winter and still might. But have been hearing so much good reviews of Maiden got to wonder if that might be the better play.

I have not bought a Stern since STLE which now seems like ages ago.

I’ve not cooled on TNA completely some things have come up. Watching the TNA videos seems like fun *except* watching Bowen’s two videos where he makes it seem ho hum. Every game is exactly the same, start multi ball, work in reactor. If you fall out of multi ball get back and repeat, repeat, repeat.

In addition several TNA owners sell immediately. I know that can happen with every pin, and due to TNA prices being favorable it’s not killing people to try it out and sell it if they don’t love it. But a lot for sale considering how few have shipped.

It’s not just cooling on TNA but also warning up to Maiden.

I only played 1-2 games on Maiden, though it was nice. I really don’t have a firm opinion except that it seems as if a lot of people love it.

Could someone tell me what does Maiden reminds you of (for example rules are like xyz pin?).

I’m sure I’d love TNA but curious if it’s too shallow. Even a shallow pin like AFM or IM has a lot to do (different multi balls and hurry ups) while TNA seems to have just one mode and one multi ball repeatedly.

#2 5 years ago

I only have a handful of plays on each game.

That said, if you're looking for 80s style play and are a competitive/tournament player, then TNA might be right for you. TNA is not really a game designed for casual play.

If you enjoy games from the 90s+ with modes and are more of a casual player, then Maiden may be more up your alley.

#3 5 years ago

Both very fun games but I personally would go with Iron maiden it has more stuff going on in it I think TNA will get repetitive after a while.

#4 5 years ago

Totally different games. They are both great, but for different reasons. Looks like you have owned a lot of games, but all of them pretty new. Go play something like a system 11 and decide if you like it. That's a better comparison. They are incredibly easy to learn how to play, devilishly hard to master. They don't have super deep rules, but mastering it is really really tough. Is that bad? I don't think so, its just different. TNA is very straight forward and easy to understand. The rules aren't all that deep. However, mastering it is really hard. There is a lot of risk to most of the shots, so game times are not super long. I have played probably 100 games on it at least, but I still dream about playing it more because I want to get past reactor 5.

Maiden is an awesome game. Its got some awesome shots, a new layout, and overall just feels good. I probably have about 25 or 30 games on it. I was seriously thinking about getting it till I heard DP was coming. BTW, Im not a big fan of the band, but the pin is that good I would consider owning it. Now I need to decide between the two.

#5 5 years ago

Maiden is the only game I brought home from a show where I had ZERO intentions of buying anything. It's a special game, esp for a pro. Shots are just a ton of fun and there are little strategy nuances, but nothing near dizzying territory like TWD or something.

Finally played TNA for the first time and the sound and light show was amazing, but the gameplay just feels like 3-4 shots over and over and over.... One game was enough, and I never do that.

#6 5 years ago

They both have the same problem to me. Just repeat the same shots over and over till you die. The only question is how often you mess up.

Bowen makes TNA look boring because he doesn't mess up much and has excellent recovery. So much of TNA is shooting what would normally be 'death shots' that it stays pretty unpredictable. Just look at most classic Ballys: there's only one thing you actually want to do (inline drops, or spinner, etc), the challenge is just surviving and doing it. Not that that isn't without its problems, but it's not as big an issue as people used to modern games make it out to be. Even then though, people still like games like AFM, etc. If the thing you do repeatedly is fun, the game is fun.

IMDN I enjoy less than TNA because that same flow of shots is much more reliable and thus you do less recovery. Plus when you are doing recovery, it's easier since there's no pop bumper or super active slings to mess you up

#7 5 years ago

I personally find TNA better(more fun) than IM but I really like good 80s games. both are great games but you should play both until you can decide. The co-op mode is a really cool feature on TNA too. how many other games do you have?

#8 5 years ago

TNA has more going for it than just destroying reactors & rinse/repeat. While the gameplay is straight forward, it is really difficult to master. I love that type of gameplay. Bowen makes EVERYTHING look easy, so judging TNA based on watching him is completely misguided. Most people on average are lucky to destroy 3 in a single game.

The challenge lies not only in destroying reactors, but in maximizing the reactor bonus first, then destroying the reactor during multiball for the 3x multiplier. Scoring huge points where the fun lies (for me at least) & proves a long term challenge at home. If your only goal is just to see how many reactors you can destroy, you are missing a whole other level of strategy on TNA. And the difficulty of making those shots increases as the game progresses (alternating orbits, restarting multiballs, etc). Oh did I mention scoring super jackpots at the scoop during multiball? Yeah good luck scoring those on a regular basis.

What looks like a simple game to some is actually layered with scoring depth. Plus there's the insane lightshow, the music & sounds, the classic 80's Bally design, co-op gameplay, the ass-kicking nature of the gameplay that forces you to play better, and on & on. It's a long term keeper for me. Different strokes for different folks tho.

I only played IMDN once, and thought the ball times were long, the shots were easy to make, it had great scoring rules, and it's pretty sweet too. Just depends what you're looking for. You want a modern classic or an 80's classic?

#9 5 years ago

If you play your pins more as a single player...Maiden. If you play your pins more with a group...TNA.

#10 5 years ago

Maiden is the greatest pin ever .

#11 5 years ago

Maiden reminds me of nothing. It's it's own game IMO. Lots of shots. Great art and sound package. Fun callouts. Good news is they are both a fairly easy sell I think.

#12 5 years ago

IMDN def has it's own feel that's for sure. It plays like a Stern of course but it's pretty unique.
I've never thought "reminds me of..."

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

TNA has more going for it than just destroying reactors & rinse/repeat. While the gameplay is straight forward, it is really difficult to master. I love that type of gameplay. Bowen makes EVERYTHING look easy, so judging TNA based on watching him is completely misguided. Most people on average are lucky to destroy 3 in a single game.
The challenge lies not only in destroying reactors, but in maximizing the reactor bonus first, then destroying the reactor during multiball for the 3x multiplier. Scoring huge points where the fun lies (for me at least) & proves a long term challenge at home. If your only goal is just to see how many reactors you can destroy, you are missing a whole other level of strategy on TNA. And the difficulty of making those shots increases as the game progresses (alternating orbits, restarting multiballs, etc). Oh did I mention scoring super jackpots at the scoop during multiball? Yeah good luck scoring those on a regular basis.
What looks like a simple game to some is actually layered with scoring depth. Plus there's the insane lightshow, the music & sounds, the classic 80's Bally design, co-op gameplay, the ass-kicking nature of the gameplay that forces you to play better, and on & on. It's a long term keeper for me. Different strokes for different folks tho.
I only played IMDN once, and thought the ball times were long, the shots were easy to make, it had great scoring rules, and it's pretty sweet too. Just depends what you're looking for. You want a modern classic or an 80's classic?

How do you maximize reactor points? I see how you get the reactor critical but after that how is the jackpot built up?

Watching Bowen was a mistake, he was just pushing to get the most reactors down and never shooting anything except the drop target/locks unless he was in multi ball.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This guy gets it ^^

#15 5 years ago

I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins.

Buy an EM and Maiden.

#17 5 years ago

I've had some good time on both. I think TNA is fun, but not 7k worth of long term fun for me. Maiden is a great game with some staying power. Buy Maiden and a classic Bally!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

several TNA owners sell immediately.

Who are these several owners you speak of? People selling for a profit and getting back in line?

I'm seeing plenty of IMDNs up for sale and it is a much newer game. I personally wouldn't want that eyesore with the terrible music in my house.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm seeing plenty of IMDNs up for sale and it is a much newer game.

I don't know how much 'newer' it really is; TNAs trickle out much slower

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

TNAs trickle out much slower

Yes, but the op said TNA buyers selling immediately. I haven't seen very many for sale at all, but some have had it for quite a while. And I am yet to see one being sold for less than was paid. Those that do sell right away were probably offered more than they paid. Probably like the guy that mentioned he sold it right when he got it yesterday. That was a fast, easy sale. lol.

One guy put his up for $10k yesterday and that ad was ended before the day was over.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, but the op said TNA buyers selling immediately. I haven't seen very many for sale at all, but some have had it for quite a while. And I am yet to see one being sold for less than was paid. Those that do sell right away were probably offered more than they paid. Probably like the guy that mentioned he sold it right when he got it yesterday.

That's like comparing Ford sales to Tesla sales. Let's not be disingenuous. You know full well there are many, many more IMDN's out there than TNA's. Obvi there are going to be more for sale.

In other news grass is green...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

That's like comparing Ford sales to Tesla sales. Let's not be disingenuous. You know full well there are many, many more IMDN's out there than TNA's. Obvi there are going to be more for sale.

That's right. Market is now flooded with IMDNs and the novelty is definitely wearing off for some owners. While with TNA many are still patiently waiting for their games and unlike Tesla very few are dropping out.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's right. Market is now flooded with IMDNs and the novelty is definitely wearing off for some owners. While with TNA many are still patiently waiting for their games and very few are dropping out.

Flooded? Novelty?

Zip up your pants, your fanboy is showing.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Market is now flooded with IMDNs....

Where?

#25 5 years ago

Check the marketplace. If it's not a used one there are plenty selling NIB.

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

you fanboy is showing.

And? Yes I own TNA, and have no desire to sell it even at a profit. I've played IMDN LE and have no desire to own it, let alone play it again.

And isn't that what this thread asked? Sorry if my opinion doesn't match yours.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't even know what that means.

#27 5 years ago

It means if you want IMDN right now, you can probably get one for less than it cost new. Good luck with that on TNA.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I dont believe NIB from the manufacturer would classify as flooding the market.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It means if you want IMDN right now, you can probably get one for less than it cost new. Good luck with that on TNA.

There is 1 listed on market place and it's not under priced.

Dude, I think that possible concussion is starting to damage your thinking. Head to the dark room for a bit.

#30 5 years ago

rai go pick up that Iron Maiden! Play it for a while and have fun, if you want to sell later, shouldn’t be hard to find a buyer. You take excellent care of your pins and have an awesome collection.

#31 5 years ago

No hard choice, here—TNA is a snooze fest compared to Maiden. I played a couple of games at a show, was glad I didn’t get on the hype train and buy one without playing it. I was very disappointed. Went over to a Maiden Pro with absolutely no intention of liking it. Best new pin I’ve played in years.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There is 1 listed on market place and it's not under priced.
Dude, I think that possible concussion is starting to damage your thinking. Head to the dark room for a bit.

Really? lol.

I gotta go smoke some ribs now. Enjoy your day!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=2685

#33 5 years ago

I had no intention of buying an Iron Maiden.
Once I played it, I new I wanted to buy one.

I’ve have never been a Maiden music fan. But, the pin is totally different from anything else that I own and the music doesn’t bother me at all.

You can tell that one of the best players in pinball developed the pin.

Code is already excellent, and the shots are super smooth.

#34 5 years ago

21 total ads in how many months has it been out is a flooded market?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Zip up your pants, you fanboy is showing.

I think we are still waiting for the ultimate fanboy to add his pearls of wisdom. Just have patience I guarantee they are coming soon....

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

21 total ads in how many months has it been out is a flooded market?

That's only pinside lol. A buddy of mine has several in box trying to sell. These are mass produced and it's only the beginning. If it's a game you want, it's out there for you. lol.

#37 5 years ago

I would agree with the crowd favoring Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) over Total Nuclear Annihilation . I played both machines for the first time over the weekend at CAX in Santa Clara, CA a ton (over 3 hours (2 hours straight on day 2!) on IMDN PRO and 1 hour of TNA). FYI, I grew up not being a Maiden fan (Metallica fan here!).

I'm not the best player, but here is what I think:

Your pick, for me, depends on the goal you want when playing the PIN. TNA executes simplistic, yet challenging, pinball action to "beat" the game. IMDN, on the other hand like many pinheads here are saying contains deeper rulesets and its code is early stages that more features should be provided later.

Shots:
IMDN: The layout feels fresh. The flipper in upper left playfield is unique. If you do not hit it right, you'll pay for it. The upper playfield orbits (inner and outer) with the flipper gives it all fresh gameplay. Lets not forget the moveable ramp. I would love to play Premium to see what other potential this game has.

TNA: I must say this machine does old school pinball justice. If you miss your shot you will pay for it more than IMDN. This reminds of of Steve Richie's games...Ahhh, I had lots of oh S**t moments here. Overall, I feel the shots are faster here. Oh, forgot to say the Captive ball recoil is blazing fast. Don't blink

BallTime:
IMDN: Long ball time is more common. Recovery from bad shots more likely. During CAX, my highest single ball score was around 140M.
Having long games (all 3 balls) is more possible with this pin.

TNA: Wow! As mentioned in the Shots section, since I could not consistently shoot the ball accurately, I had a lot of fast drained balls. For beginners, I can see frustrations occur more with TNA than IMDN. There were times I consistently had short games.

For home use, if your choosing for a IMDN PRO (I did not play Premium), that is a great choice to start with. I've been hearing TNA was designed for multiplayer mode more than single player.

Looking at the ratings, pinheads rate Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) real high which should translate to an easy sell within the year. Then, get an TNA.

#38 5 years ago

There is a lot of good advise here already, and I'll start off by saying that I love both games. I think you are exactly right with this statement, "I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins." TNA will certainly be something different in your collection. I believe others have alluded to the fact that TNA plays similar to 80s games, which can be found cheaper. I think that's also true. Do you like 80s games? I would argue it's the best "80s game" that was ever made, but perhaps you feel there is a better value getting a Iron Maiden plus a much cheaper 80s game. It would be hard to fault you for that. In a small collection, I'd probably go with Iron Maiden. In your collection, I'd probably go with TNA. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a TNA and look to trade Spiderman towards an Iron Maiden. Then again, I also like Spiderman. I just feel like you have a few games that give me a similar feel and adding both would increase the variety within your collection. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There is a lot of good advise here already, and I'll start off by saying that I love both games. I think you are exactly right with this statement, "I have 11 pins and wanted TNA to be something different from the majority which are all DMD/LCD pins." TNA will certainly be something different in your collection. I believe others have alluded to the fact that TNA plays similar to 80s games, which can be found cheaper. I think that's also true. Do you like 80s games? I would argue it's the best "80s game" that was ever made, but perhaps you feel there is a better value getting a Iron Maiden plus a much cheaper 80s game. It would be hard to fault you for that. In a small collection, I'd probably go with Iron Maiden. In your collection, I'd probably go with TNA. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a TNA and look to trade Spiderman towards an Iron Maiden. Then again, I also like Spiderman. I just feel like you have a few games that give me a similar feel and adding both would increase the variety within your collection. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I do like short ball times.

#41 5 years ago

TNA will get old fast. Super fast. Maiden the clear choice if I were buying.

Which I ain't.

#42 5 years ago

I need at least one ramp. But that's just my preferred style of a pin....I love ramp.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And? Yes I own TNA, and have no desire to sell it even at a profit. I've played IMDN LE and have no desire to own it, let alone play it again.
And isn't that what this thread asked? Sorry if my opinion doesn't match yours.

Quoted from o-din:

HUO TNA for sale in north OC.
Fully loaded with standard cab and relatively low plays. Will include box.
$7k firm. Cash and carry only.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I need at least one ramp. But that's just my preferred style of a pin....I love ramp.

2A6A0414-6CC7-428F-8FE1-C4A173BC6A8D (resized).png2A6A0414-6CC7-428F-8FE1-C4A173BC6A8D (resized).png
#45 5 years ago

Both games are good games but IMDN is pure greatness. If you can only buy one game, IMDN is the hottest ticket in town right now.

#46 5 years ago

I bought your spot for #152 and you made a nice profit. It looks like you are considering backing out again. Quit while you are ahead. Trust your instincts. Nobody offered me anything close to the retail with the butter cabinet.
If you can tolerate the music in Iron Maiden it’s a no brainer. Good Luck but when in doubt , don’t!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I do like short ball times.

Me too. I'm not sure it's just short ball times, but I always want to feel like I'm close to accomplishing something. With Total Nuclear Annihilation that is starting the reactor, maximizing the jackpot, starting multiball (for the multiplier), and destroying the reactor. Trying to maintain control while doing that will certainly make you a better pinball player. It's also super important to use your ball saver. The keypad target bank is quite dangerous, so unless I'm one or two shots away, I either want to start the ball save or multiball before trying to shoot for them. The problem there is that if you use multiball to unlock the reactor, it's difficult to keep all three balls in play while starting and destroying the reactor. You loose out on the multiplier. That may not become apparent if you are just watching Bowen. He makes resetting the drop targets look easy. Actually doing that takes a crazy amount of recovery skills. For an average player you are not going to be playing the entire game in multiball mode. It's more about knowing when you want to cash in on your multiballs.

#48 5 years ago

I said the same thing, I have all these games I like , I want something different. I didn’t keep different.

#49 5 years ago

That's fair too. If you don't enjoy 80s pinball, you likely aren't going to enjoy TNA...unless the only thing you don't like about 80s pinball is it's lack of a killer soundtrack and lightshow. There are plenty of people who only play DMDs or newer. I decided that one spot of my collection would always go towards an earlier SS and one spot of my collection would always go towards an EM.

#50 5 years ago

If you want to pick out a quote regarding the subject, Concretehardt, why don't you also pick out the follow ups. I was considering putting a pool in because it was over 100 degrees out at the time, and that costs money. Of course a Stern fanboy would have selective memory. With the mods I have added, there would have been no profit. There was also another post where I mentioned the idea of selling it was just the heat getting to my head.

Quoted from o-din:

Even when I'm not playing it, it's still pretty easy on the eyes. I had considered letting it go, but I think that's just a summer thing. I haven't been playing much of any of them.
Come those long cold California winter nights, I'm sure it will get plenty of action again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-advice?hl=davijc02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.