1.06 is out so I just brought 1.05 forward and will take off any bugs in 1.05 that are fixed. This thread is for the bugs you've found in Iron Maiden 1.06. I'll keep the OP updated with all bugs noted in the thread so Stern can have a nice all-in-one-place list for their reference.
If you report a bug in the thread, please note if it's the [Pro] or [Prem/LE].
V1.06.0 - January 9, 2019
- Attract Mode - added Legacy of the Beast 2019 tour dates
- Revive - 'advance revive' is now lit when you don't have both outlane saves lit
- Eddie Letters - fixed an issue where EDDIE letters could be lost between first ball and second ball in a multiplayer game
- Drop Targets - progress towards 'light lock' is restored if it was skipped because trooper locks could not be lit from other running modes
- Flight of Icarus - changed starting award to 2M and increment by 150K (was starting at 1M and increment by 250K)
- Eddie Cards - collecting level 1 - boosts power jackpot 5M
- Eddie Cards - collecting Level 2 - boosts power jackpot 15M
- Eddie Cards - collecting Level 2 - now shows display effect with current EDDIE card status (used to just be a callout)
- Two Minutes to Midnight - intro now displays all shot awards and their values in a sorted list
- Timed Battle Modes - "Add Time" Mystery award is not available anymore in grace (it will choose a different eligible mystery award)
- Loop Jackpots - added new flasher lamp effect when awarded
- Soul Shard - added new background / collected lamp effects
- Danger / Tilt - graphics now updated to use nuke console / mushroom cloud videos
- Audits - fixed Rime of the Ancient Mariner audits that were not chalking properly
- Audits - fixed left / right drains in system audits
- Adjustment Changes:
- added 'LIMIT RIGHT UP POST USE' - defaults to YES, which will not raise the Right Up Post for mode starts, change to NO to revert to old behavior
- added 'TOUR DATES IN ATTRACT MODE' - defaults to YES
- moved 'PLAY ATTRACT TUTORIAL VIDEOS' from GAME to STANDARD adjustment menus
- System - Updated to V2.19
- Update to nodeboard firmware v0.28.0
- Added LIFETIME count to Standard Audit #16 "Total Plays".
- Added JAPAN_3 Coinage 1/YEN 200.
- Added new standard adjustment "PLAY ATTRACT TUTORIAL VIDEOS" which is default to YES.
- Added attract mode tutorial videos for inserting coins, pressing start button,
using ball plunger, and flipper buttons.
- Added UTIL->VOL adjustments for minimum and maximum master volume level and minimum
and maximum headphones volume level. This will limit the selectable volume range
from the service menu Plus and Minus keys and the headphones rotary dial.
- Added support for 6th coin switch.
- When entering UTIL->VOL, the first sub-menu adjustment is selected, previous
behavior would select the last displayed sub-menu adjustment.
- Added Standard Adjustment "START GAME ON CREDIT". Settings are:
- "OFF" - Do not automatically start a game or add a player when inserted
money registers a credit
- "FIRST ONLY" - Automatically start a game when inserted money registers
- "ALL CREDITS" - Automatically start a game or add a player when inserted
money registers a credit. Adding multiple credits
simultaneously, via a bill acceptor, will only start
a one player game or add a single player.
Default setting is "OFF"
- Removed unused obsolete Standard Adjustments:
- "FLASH LAMP POWER"
- "COIL PULSE POWER"
- "BILL VALIDATOR"
- "TEAM SCORES"
- "CONSOLATION BALL".
- Removed Standard Adjustments:
- "COIN DOOR BALL SAVE"
- "COIN DOOR DISABLE TILT"
- "COIN DOOR OPEN NODE BUS POWER"
from games which do not have a coin door interlock switch.
V1.05.0 - September 7, 2018
- Pharaoh Award - increased scoring for each ring of the bullseye target from 150K, 300K, 450K to 500K, 1M, 2M
- Aces High - fixed an issue where draining out of the mode during the bomber phase would result in the bullseye flashing non stop until the next Aces High start.
- Speech - added a few more callouts
- Custom Message - show every time through the attract loop instead of every 10th time through, increase duration from 2 to 3 seconds
- System - Updated to V2.10
- Added USA_13 Coinage 1/$1.00, 7/$5.00
- Update to nodeboard firmware v0.25.0
- 1 - [ALL] Game becomes unresponsive or locks up after 2-3 days if left on 24/7. EDIT: Now can happen in less than 2 days with 1.00. Version 1.01 added a maintenance reboot every two days, but the lockup bug in the game remains as of 1.06, with scheduled reboots daily to stop the lockups. The core problem/memory leak needs to be addressed in the code.
- 2 - [Pro] [CONFIRMED STILL IN 1.04] If service credits are added rapidly while the bonus is being counted at the end of a ball, sometimes there is no music for the next ball until a mode starts.
- 3 - [Prem/LE] After draining to one ball on a Mummy MB with a ball in the captive ball lock, the ball was dumped into the underworld, which immeditely started Cyborg MB that was lit prior to starting Mummy. I don't think a free Cyborg start is intended in that instance.
- 4 - [Prem/LE] When a tomb award is lit on the left ramp the arrow blinks white/red indicating a double award of an Eddie letter and the tomb award or ball lock, but you currently cannot collect an Eddie letter when the tomb is open. See post #43 for more detail.
- 5 - [Pro 1.02] [Confirmed still in 1.04 - rare] Playing with Icarus or Hallowed going (don't remember which), stacked with Mummy Multiball. Hit one ramp, only had to hit the other ramp to qualify 3 ball multiball for Mummy, lost a ball just as I hit the orb, which kicked out an add a ball. Hit the other ramp to complete the initial mummy multiball qualification and should have given me the third mummy multiball, but no ball was gained, so it stayed 2 balls for the whole rest of the mode. This happened on a Pro in 1.04 with a Icarus mode stare, mummy stack, then two ramps qualified and no 3rd ball happened.
- 6 - [All Still in 1.06] Game repeating the command to shoot up the middle while entering my high score initials. Something is definitely wacky there. I've also seen it say "Showtime" and "Shoot the Pharaoh Target" in the match sequence. Needs to shut down all game callouts once it gets to the match screen.
- 7 - [Pro 1.02] Playing Iron maiden, made it to Number of the Beast. Got the beast's health down to zero, then flippers died like they should but the game just kept ball searching - I had turn it off.
- 8 - [Pro 1.02] [Confirmed Still in 1.04] The post for mummy lock does not freeze the loop jackpot timers, so you can lose a good 5 seconds off your loop jackpot timer if you light the sarcophagus lock, then hit the center ramp with the green arrow while the loop jackpot timers are lit. If your loop jackpot timer is within 5 or so seconds of ending, hitting that center ramp and triggering the post will snuff the loop jackpot timer because the timer keeps running even while the post is up and the ball is not in play.
- 9 - [All 1.03][Confirmed half-assed fixed in 1.05 - now it interrupts the animation and starts multiball as soon as you change the volume and drops the ball(s) already in lock. This is not a proper fix.] If you crank up the volume with STERN'S SPIKE 2 EXTERNAL VOLUME CONTROLLER (sold separately) during the trooper multiball animation, it will release the locked ball and not shoot the other balls into play and continue trooper as a 1 ball multiball. This is a continuation of a system-level (Lonnie!?!) bug since at LEAST Spiderman where if you change volume setting using the Stern External controller with a ball locked during a game animation it'll cancel the animation and resume play. Happens on SM, SW, TWD, IMDN, etc
- 10 - [Pro 1.04] Tomb treasure was lit. Did a 5-way combo, ending with the tomb treasure right orbit as the 5th shot. It gave me the 5-way combo guitar animation and took away the tomb treasure light, but the post didn't stop the ball and give me the treasure award animation like it should have even though the treasure was awarded.
- 11 - [All 1.04][STILL A VERIFIED BUG in 1.06] The high score screen progression in attract mode is missing a screen as it goes forward. If you run it regularly forward, the Hallowed Be Thy Name Escape Artist screen that should be between the Icarus Champion and Aces High screens is missing. However if you go BACKWARDS through the list with the left flipper, it's there. Check the progression of screens in the forward direction so all the screens are there in both directions. In 1.05 it was ALMOST fixed. If you let the screens go forward at normal speed, the screen is there. HOWEVER, if you advance (fast forward) the screens using the right flipper button, the screen is still missing. It's there in the reverse (left flipper) fast forward, though. In 1.06 NOTHING WAS DONE for this EASY bug.
- 12 - [Pro 1.05] While looking at status info (with a ball trapped on flipper) Replay value actually shows current bonus value.
- 13 - [All] Mystery award audits seem to be off by at least 15-20%.
- 14 - [Pro 1.02] [Confirmed Still in 1.05] The timing for ball ending score add-up is messed up if the "POWER JACKPOT INCREASED" or the "BATTLE IS LIT/SHOOT THE PHARAOH" messages comes on screen just as the ball drains. Takes a good 6-8 seconds for that screen to clear so the game can go into end of ball when that happens.
- 15 - [Pro 1.05] Had another weird one. Got a super loop jackpot for like 15 million then hit the right orbit, which was flashing green and red (trooper lock and treasure?). It locked the ball, got that animation, but did NOT get the treasure and it never let the lock post down, despite shaking, jiggling, bouncing the machine to loosen the post if it was stuck. Had to wait for ball search to release the ball.
- 16 - Icarus timers can freeze, leaving you in the mode. See post here for details: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-100-bugs-and-features/page/9#post-4709888
- 17 - [All Verified in 1.05] REVIVE is still buggy within the mode start ball save period. In a mode (Aces High, but can't remember). Revive was active on both outlanes, and the ball save was also active because it was the start of the mode. The ball went down one of the outlanes, and the callout indicated the ball was being returned, lost the lit Revive.
- 18 - [Pro 1.05] If you have 2 balls locked and pharaoh tomb award is lit and you shoot the right orbit to both collect the tomb award and start multiball, the game freaks out for a bit and doesn’t know what to do. Eventually it releases the call and throws the other 2 into play.
- 19 - [Prem/LE 1.06] <Report1>During a trooper multi ball auto plunge, I soft plunged the third ball (2nd of the auto plunges) to try and hit the skill shot target. Accidentally plunged it to the left outlane instead (like a super secret skill shot). Game kicked out a replacement third ball...and then gave me the ball back from the outlane, so started trooper with 4 balls. Hit the cannon shot for a 5th. When I went back to 1 ball, it didn't go to bonus. <Report2>Yeah, there's definitely a bug in 1.06 related to that as I had something similar happen. Details are sketchy for me, but I was in a mode (Trooper I think but can't guarantee it). A ball auto-launched, and went out the left drain while Revive was active. I paid attention to see if I'd lose my Revive even though the timer was still on for free balls -- I was happy to see that Revive stayed lit, but then two balls launched instead of one.
- 20 -[Pro 1.06] added 'LIMIT RIGHT UP POST USE' - defaults to YES, which will not raise the Right Up Post for mode starts, change to NO to revert to old behavior
For aces high; it does do just as this readme file states. However, if you change the setting to NO, it does not revert to the old behavior. Instead, it doesn’t use either of the up posts.
- 21 - [Pro 1.05, still in 1.06] In Cyborg Multiball:
-Have outlane revives lit
-Light cyborg jackpot
-Drain the extra balls in play
-A 10 second countdown starts to collect the jackpot
-Drain down an outlane and get revived
-Another countdown starts and plays concurrently with the one that was already running. Eg: 10, 3, 9, 2, 8, 1...
- 22 - [All 1.06] Set the Grand Champion score to receive 2 credits. In B/W games that causes the knocker to go off twice - once per credit. In IMDN, the knocker still only goes off once, regardless. Should knock once for each credit awarded.
- 23 - [Pro 1.06] Had the Trooper lock qualified so the arrows were flashing green. Hit the center ramp to start Fear of the Dark, as soon as the ball released hit the upper loop with the small purple arrow to get the party started right away. Dropped the ball to the left flipper to make the right ramp shot to double the spinner and missed, hitting the right orbit instead. Post came up, but machine stopped doing anything. It didn't give the ball locked animation and did not release the ball so I could continue Fear of the Dark until ball search released the post. Then a little bit later I got the lock animation from before while I was playing the rest of Fear of the Dark. Definite bug.
- 24 - [Pro 1.06] Had just entered my highscore initials, and rather quickly after that went into the service menu. Background music kept on playing.
- 25 - [Premium 1.06] On 1.06 with a Premium, the game got confused during the first Mummy Multiball and started doing weird things like lighting the Mummy lights out of order. Like MY and U were lit, but the first and third Ms were NOT lit, then when I qualified a letter, the M in the 3rd position lit. Never seen behavior like this before, but it may have been related to the machine seeming to be confused when this mummy multiball started.
- 26 - [Still a problem in 1.06, resurrected from "fixed" list] Changing the volume mid-game can make it go silent until the next ball.
NOT A BUG BUT NEEDS ATTENTION:
- [All 1.04] Add EDDIE letters needing completion to the main screen, similar to the way the REVIVE icon works. Sometimes if a lot is going on, there's a long lag before you can see the EDDIE screen again to know where you are. The prompt to hit the white arrows in 1.03 is okay, but if you know you need to do that already, it still doesn't tell you how many letters are left if other things are going on (like the REVIVE icon does).
- [Pro 1.02] When you TILT, the on-screen devil is blabbing away in silence until the laughter catches up out of sync. This needs to be synced or just have the devil's mouth not move on-screen. Also, the "TILT" message is kind of boring. It would also be cooler if the Devil had a selection of sick burns to taunt you for tilting. He could also do bad things like pluck the wings off fairies and/or throw mewing kittens into the fire because you TILTed, making the player feel worse.
- The stock sound mix is backwards from what a music pin should have. If I crank the volume it sounds like some asshole is turning the music down everytime a sound effect is being played, and then back up. Super annoying. It should sound like a loud bar where Maiden is cranking at a nice steady level and you can hear the SF and speech “behind” the music, not in front of it.
- Flasher in the upper left pop bumper should be re-programmed so it works like Magneto's spotlight/flasher on X-Men. Pulse it quickly in software to make it behave like a light normally, then give it full power when you want it to work like a flasher. This works great in X-MEN with LED flashers (confirmed when the bulb was replaced), so it should be done on Maiden, too.
- OS-level check before flashing to prevent Pro code from accidentally being flashed on a Prem/LE and vice-versa.
- It would be cool if, when you use one revive (ball drains right or left), you could lane change the revive you have left.
- Chained Skill Shots should be a thing for a player's machine like this. Chaining multiple shots in a row at the beginning of the ball increases the skill shot award. Something like Dialed In does where you make the skill shot, then when it ejects, if you immediately hit the ramp, you get a super skill shot award. Make it 2, 3 or even 4 shots deep. If you can make the precise shots in succession without hitting anything else, and in a short time, you should be rewarded well, and it would be very satisfying.
- Timed pricing. Pool tables have this, why doesn't pinball? Have pricing automatically adjust up or down at different times of the day/week.
- Would be nice to have a special bonus or score if you catch the ball and immediately smack the ball back into the under-ramp scoop during the Rime hurryup at the beginning before the 1 million even begins counding down on Prem/LEs (pro doesn't have the ramp flap).
- There's a "Holy Smoke" callout by the devil in the game. It'd be funnier to have him exclaim "Unholy Smoke!"
- It would be nice to have a callout for the amount of the power jackpot. Sometimes it's too hectic to look up and I know I collected it, but knowing how much it was without looking up would be awesome. You'd only have to record 1-19, then 10, 20, 30...up to 90 and the word "million" and the software could put together the clips up to 99 million. Then if you exceed 100 million, there could just be one clip for "100 Plus Million!"
- Why is there no intro for the pin's story (which is lined up with the iOS game) in the attract mode? Something that puts you in the world. After a defeat the hero Eddie has to collect his soul shards to fight again the beast. He got help from the clairvoant. They could use most of the trailer for the handheld game (see post #343 for link to youtube video of this trailer)
- Drop Target bank reset coil could use a strength adjustment. As it is now, it's using WAY more force than needed.
- Audible countdown for the last 5 seconds of Soul Shard hurryup would be helpful
- Add Team Scores to the features
- On the beginning of the attract mode loop, it would be nice to have a v1.00 (or whatever the version is) displayed in the bottom center of the screen so players on location know what version is installed without rebooting to find out.
- Make machine gun hit effects with the shaker motor in Aces High mode.
- Add jukebox mode like AC/DC has for attract mode
- Float most-used system menu categories to the top, so the things you access the most end up first in each section so less button presses are required to get tech reports, for example.
- Get rid of the counter-intuitive "attenuation" scheme for volume levels and move to a simple volume control for music, speech, and effects that can be turned to ZERO. The "music attenuation" setting only goes to 60, and the music is still easily audible at that level.
- Instead of a boring "Player 1, Player 2," etc for player tags at the bottom of the screen, it could grab names from a list of potential player tags like Rocker 1, Headbanger 2, Thrasher 3, etc. Lots of possibilities to grab from: Rocker, Poseur, Poser, Mosher, Headbanger, Freak, Metalhead, Thrasher, Reaper, Rockstar, Wannabe, Alcoholic, Grinder, Metal Fan, Pinhead, Victim, Fan...
- [Prem/LE] Underworld dunk: You shoot the ball immediately back into the ramp hole before the ramp has a chance to close. Gravestone target award would be good here.
- Make the sacophagus lock flasher (under the PF facing up through the mech) pulsate when a ball is being loaded into it. Basically start pulsating when a ball is detected at the "gate" until it's been loaded and the mech has returned to level. Let's throw some attention/light onto the cool stuff!
- Add more Maiden songs that you can select to listen to while you are playing. Surely there must be enough storage available for this, and all you really need is a single graphic image for each song when it appears in the selection list. Zero impact on gameplay, etc.
- It doesn't say "Up the Irons" when you get a high score anymore? Can we have that back?
- Different replay animation that is more fitting for game theme. This one looks like its from the matrix.
- Add back the system option to keep the same song for the whole game (don't re-ask per ball)
- Profiles for game settings so one machine adjustment set can be saved under a name, and selecting that name changes all the settings to the ones specified under that set name. Profile 1 - Tournament settings, Profile 2 - Free Play day, kids and rookies, Profile 3 - 2 for 1 day, Profile 4 - Other route location
- More of a Metal-looking, less generic font, at least for the large text. Here's a comparison of existing font to a more metal-attitude font:
FIXED BUGS / ADDRESSED ISSUE & WISHLIST ITEMS:
[Fixed 1.01] - [All] Potential looping bug where the left loop stops advancing or registering, even after draining and a new ball. See post #52 for more details.
[Fixed 1.01] - [Pro] Feature adjustment #159 on the pro will freeze and reboot the game if you change it from its default. Likely because Can I play with Madness that adjusts doesn't exist on the Pro.
[Addressed 1.01] - A little looser timing on end-of-mode grace periods. That mode summary screen comes up WAY too quickly now.
[Addressed 1.01] - Allow start button (new game start) or flippers to skip the mode highscore screens. Especially after a new update wipes the scroes clean, initial games can give highscores for multiple modes. After entering initials it'll show the high scores achieved for each of the modes. This needs to be skippable or bypassed with Start to just start another game. Watching this should not be forced like it is now.
[Fixed 1.02] - [Pro] Trooper Multiball happens, but it's running with a single ball. Post #12 in this thread details the conditions this happened (which seem like they should be the ones that give you a 4 ball trooper multiball).
[Fixed 1.02] [All] Formatting error. If you have a partial credit (1/2, 3/4, etc) it spills over the on-screen container at the top that displays Ball # and Credits.
[Addressed 1.02] - Auto-launch time option for up to 5 minutes. 0-60 seconds, then jump to 300 seconds for the last choice.
[Addressed 1.02] - [Prem/LE] Sarcophagus sneak: You shoot the sarcophagus lock ramp when lock is lit before the diverter opens fully, or you shoot the ramp when the diverter is fully open but soft enough that it doesn't lock and rides the full ramp instead. This one is far more difficult to achieve, so maybe an extra ramp hit toward super ramps and/or maybe an eddie letter? (Dirty pool callout added)
[Addressed 1.02] - Secret Skill shots should be OFF when Tournament mode is selected
[Addressed 1.02] - Secret Skill shot point distributions need to be evened out so the bonus is commensurate with difficulty.
[Addressed 1.02] - Timing on beginning of Trooper Multiball is off. If you drain after it starts (the long intro animation and blue shots lit) but before it starts launching the extra balls, it will never launch the rest of the balls and the ball just ends.
[Fixed 1.04] Modes are being started while in The Trooper multiball with 1.03. This is new behavior, seen with Rime, Fear, and Icarus modes so far. Is this a bug or a feature? Formerly mode access was shut off if you weren't already in one when The Trooper started.
[Partially addressed in 1.04, default is now 225] - Likewise the trough eject is really way too hard at the default of 255. Factory should be around 180-200 so it doesn't beat the machine to death.
[Fixed 1.04] If you have music attenuation set at -60 and drain a ball, the next ball starts with the song at a lower volume, so maybe it's losing or changing the attenuation settings ball to ball?
[Fixed 1.04] If you start a 2 player game and on the second player ball, when scrolling thru the song list before launching the ball, it will abruptly go into ball search and launch the ball into play.
[Fixed 1.04] If you add a player to the game while starting Trooper-Multiball, it limits Trooper to a single ball multiball
[Fixed 1.04] Diagnostics have the number wrong for Shooter Lane switch. Tech alert reports it as SW #14, but manual says SW 22.
[Fixed 1.04] 4 ball Trooper multiball and both left and right revive lit. In one fell swoop, a ball went down the left outlane and a second ball went down the right! The revive lights both turned off (lost them) but the balls never came back to the playfield. Confirmed (1.02) in level 2 Trooper Multiball (Green Arrows). Lost two balls left and right with revive lit on both and didn't get them back. This has been reported on Mummy Multiball, too.
[Fixed 1.04] Changing the volume mid-game can make it go silent.
[Fixed 1.04] Updated my LE yesterday the knock is totally faded. Just a "prrrt" sound instead of a loud knock. All other sounds are fine. Bass is set to 110 on this machine.
[Fixed 1.06] Audits need some serious attention. Going through my audits as I upgraded from 1.03 to 1.05, and I noticed it said I only have 11 left drains, 12 right drains, and 669 center drains? Unless I'm misunderstanding what a left/right drain is, that seems way off? I seem to lose balls on the left/right drains way more commonly than I do down the center, and the idea of only 11/12 is laughable. Also in 1.05 Audits 94-96, relating to Rime all read zero.
[SEEMS fixed in 1.06] [All 1.03/1.04] Coil strength for slings was changed from 1.02 so now even a properly gapped sling switch will often multi-fire or machine-gun until the gaps in the switches are made comically wide, or the coil strength is turned down in the new settings. The debounce and/or default coil strength in the settings needs to be reduced so it behaves more like 1.02.
[Root problem seems fixed in 1.06, so no need for this anymore] - [All 1.03] 1.03 defaults for sling strength should be around 20-25. At 32 they are too hard and tend to make the switches re-close and the slings machine-gun.
[Addressed 1.06 - changed to 2MTM screen]- [All] On a related note, the TILT warning visuals need work. Just the word DANGER on a black screen is pretty low-effort.
ONE TIME BUGS / NON-REPEATABLE, NOT ADDRESSED:
- [All] Selected song for general play was Trooper, and mid ball, I believe coming out of Trooper MB, the song got stuck playing that same few bars over and over until I started a mode that caused a song change.
- [LE 1.02?] Was playing a LE on location. Played like 3-4 games. Achieved a replay once. But then i noticed a bug at my very last game. The replay value was at 175M I ended the game with 298M without getting a replay credit for that game. There may be a bug in the replay awards when the dynamic score threshold is increased in successive games.
- [Pro 1.02] At the end of fear of the Dark, the ball drained and something happened so the screen went nuts in a weird Fear of the Dark attract mode with the screen glitching like crazy. Video linked in post #248 here.