(Topic ID: 197308)

Hurricane Irma, state of emergency declared in Florida

By wdpvideo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190327_135045 (resized).jpg
    20190327_134208 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_025826 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_025713 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170916_173530 (resized).jpg
    Ceiling damage from roof3 (resized).jpg
    Ceiling damage from roof5 (resized).jpg
    Ceiling damage from roof4 (resized).jpg
    Ceiling damage from roof2 (resized).jpg
    Ceiling damage from roof (resized).jpg
    20170913_162002 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1505185751474 (resized).jpg
    storm clean up (resized).jpg
    storm (resized).jpg
    flood (resized).jpg
    20170912_111536 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 6 years ago

They need to fix the hurricane scale because they're certainly isn't Wind at 150 miles an hour unless you're twenty thousand feet in the air

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Really? Try this from the virgin islands from Irma... at 10ft the wind certainly is there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLczZhe3ctjNJEet0APfdx4PY-rz7Lt7A2&time_continue=1&v=dA5qYrboTUE

I'd guess 85-100 sustained. 180 everything would be leveled. Blowing rain looks impressive and that looks scary, no doubt.

National Data Buoy Center -
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Caribbean_inset.shtml

I'm not downplaying the dangers, but most of it is from flooding and storm surge. 75 mph winds sustained can be catastrophic.

Cat 4 at landfall - Harvey.

Harvey (resized).jpgHarvey (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

When evacuating, it's a good idea to leave earlier, rather than at the last minute...

Its not really last minute though. This is as early as I've ever seen people prepare, evacuate etc.. Just a lot of people heading North and not many ways to get there.

#73 6 years ago

It looks like I'm going to get a front row seat to see if the winds are what they say they are. I still have a tough time believing it. I more concerned about weeks without power. I hope everyone in it's path stays safe.

#77 6 years ago

One thing that most people are aware of, but maybe not to what extent, is the difference in building codes between here and somewhere like the Caribbean.

Although my home was built in 76, County code requires window and door replacements to meet pretty strict code. New homes would be built with them. Although I'm about 4-5 miles from the coast my replacements must withstand 135 mph for the most part.

Here is my insulated garage door with mandatory reinforcements to meet code. My pins better be safe

IMG_4014 (resized).JPGIMG_4014 (resized).JPGIMG_4016 (resized).JPGIMG_4016 (resized).JPG

People woke up after Andrew.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Would that include a laminated window system, or are metal shutters necessary?

If windows aren't laminated usually it does require the installer to cut 3/4" plywood and install lags or storm shutters. If we were on the coast I believe code is 155 mph in my county.

I still have a few old windows not to code. They seem sturdy, but not sure they could withstand an extreme gust. I boarded one larger one, but hoping for the best otherwise. I'm about 60 feet above sea level here, which is almost a mountain in this area.

#111 6 years ago

We've had some pretty impressive winds over here. PVC fence blew out, but other than that everything is holding up well. I'd guess gusts into the 70s with regular frequency. Tons of rain, no lightning. My dog is really happy for the later.

#122 6 years ago

Art, I wish I was closer. I hope you found someone or more to help you relocate your pins and anything else of value.

Hope you and your family are safe otherwise.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/irma-strengths?tu=Toasterdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.