(Topic ID: 298782)

IPS LCD Upgrade Interest? R&M, ACNC, TNA and more?

By harryhoudini

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Medic
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“You interested? ”

• IPS LCD & Controller 22 votes
    58%
  • Acrylic Cover R&M 9 votes
    24%
  • Acrylic Cover ACNC / TNA 7 votes
    18%

(Multiple choice - 38 votes by 24 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E877A0D-A899-4AA4-8F0A-78C71B939491 (resized).jpeg
CREATED BY (resized).jpg
Superfluous Butt Capacity (resized).jpg
PRESENTS (resized).jpg
C201C069-7931-42B0-8CDE-FBF34746DE97 (resized).jpeg
20211110_193027 (resized).jpg
20211110_145855 (resized).jpg
20211020_172255 (resized).jpg
20211020_172236 (resized).jpg
20210814_142841 (resized).jpg
20210814_185812 (resized).jpg
20210814_142646 (resized).jpg
20210814_142642 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210816-210801_YouTube (resized).jpg
20210814_142646 (resized).jpg
Screen (resized).jpg

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

In on a screen and controller for TNA

1 week later
#52 2 years ago

Count me in for a screen and controller for TNA - thank you!

1 week later
#53 2 years ago

Hi Gang,

We're ready to start taking orders! Screens are on the way to us and we'll be ready to ship out as soon as they arrive. We'll ship out in order so this holds your place in line.

https://pinballmods.co/upgraded-ips-lcd-spooky-pinball

This is for the full kit for any of the 3 Spooky games we support (R&M, TNA and ACNC), just select your game when adding to cart. Installation will be plug and play, brackets are created for your specific game and mounting requirements.

#54 2 years ago

Did yall figure out the sound problem with ACNC with the original tester? Didnt get feedback on the second tester.

Thanks!

Quoted from harryhoudini:

Hi Gang,
We're ready to start taking orders! Screens are on the way to us and we'll be ready to ship out as soon as they arrive. We'll ship out in order so this holds your place in line.
https://pinballmods.co/upgraded-ips-lcd-spooky-pinball
This is for the full kit for any of the 3 Spooky games we support (R&M, TNA and ACNC), just select your game when adding to cart. Installation will be plug and play, brackets are created for your specific game and mounting requirements.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from awassig:

Did yall figure out the sound problem with ACNC with the original tester? Didnt get feedback on the second tester.
Thanks!

Having been the original tester, the screen is flawless, it is friggin' awesome.
The controller that I was originally told to pick up had a HORRIBLE image on it, in my machine. (Hardly enough color range - dim colors were blacked out, etc.) I could live with that - but the audio at max - on all levels (game software, LCD controller, and amp) was hardly loud at all.

Switched controllers, which fixed the color issue, and made the audio a touch louder.
Replaced my amp, and - I can pump it so loud that the glass will crack.

The second tester, as far as I know, used the original IPS and controller, and had no issue (at least, with the audio). So the SOUND issue was likely my amp being bad. (Or, Spooky used two different amps; these amp are cheap chinese 2.1 amps that are cheap and on Amazon.)

As far as my new amp goes - holy hell, I really, REALLY recommend the amp I got for ACNC; but that's off-topic here. Ahem.

So, don't let the bad audio stop you from signing up and getting one.

#56 2 years ago

Piggybacking on to that, I don't know what it is with the amps Spooky uses but the one in my R&M was also pretty bad. The adjustment range for the volume was extremely narrow, the lows (sub) was distorted and rattled the glass (which seems to be an issue on it's own, as well) and really seemed like it was having an issue. I swapped it out with one from Amazon (which also had separate sub level control) and the change was significant. Much better sound, proper adjustment, lows are much more inline with what I would want/expect.

I haven't seen an ACNC order come in yet, but as soon as someone places one I'll send one out to get another datapoint, just to confirm. I have one or two screens from the initial sample order here still that I can send to an ACNC owner.

#57 2 years ago

Great news, Harry! Are the new scratch resistant screen protectors also ready?

I can't wait!

#58 2 years ago

I'm in for UM. Looking forward to the upgrade!

#59 2 years ago

Any timeline on these? I know there will be a wait but I paid and didn't hear anything.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Great news, Harry! Are the new scratch resistant screen protectors also ready?
I can't wait!

I may have one of these left from my prototype order. I didn't get any significant interest so I didn't offer them up. If you want one PM me and I can see if I have one left.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

Any timeline on these? I know there will be a wait but I paid and didn't hear anything.

They are on their way from the supplier now. It's not entirely clear on timeline since they go through a few steps to get to customs and depart. The sample order took a few weeks total, if I recall correctly.

#61 2 years ago

My TNA needs a better screen.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

My TNA needs a better screen.

TNA is the biggest winner from this upgrade (IMHO) as it sits physically much lower than other games increasing the viewing angle.

#63 2 years ago

I may have one of these left from my prototype order. I didn't get any significant interest so I didn't offer them up. If you want one PM me and I can see if I have one left.

The scratch protector is the thin piece of plastic in front of the screen? If so, I need those as well. I didn’t realize the “kit” did not have new ones.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

The scratch protector is the thin piece of plastic in front of the screen? If so, I need those as well. I didn’t realize the “kit” did not have new ones.

Correct. The original is PETG I think. I have one left of the prototype acrylic ones I made. If you want it send me a PM and you can paypal me the original cost and I'll toss it in your package when the screens arrive. I didn't plan on making any more unless there is some huge influx of demand.

1 week later
#65 2 years ago

Finally some movement on these. Looks like they were held up in customs and at a freight forwarder. At this point it looks like within a week we should have them in stock and ready to ship. I'm watching the tracking for updates.

#66 2 years ago

Ty for the update!

#67 2 years ago

I'm interested for R&M.

#68 2 years ago

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

#69 2 years ago

Is anyone else interested in the scratch resistant optical acrylic screen protector (for R&M, Ultraman and Halloween)? I sold all of the prototypes I made and have some interest in a few more but I wasn't going to order unless there was significant interest. I believe the original protector is PETG and has sort of optical aberrations (but also gets scratched really easily). I ordered these just to test and see how it worked. Haven't really gotten much feedback from those who've ordered them. The material isn't cheap so the protectors probably would have to be around $45 or something to make sense. They replace the existing protector, just swap it out when you do the screen. It's also about twice as thick, not sure if that matters to anyone for any reason.

You can get an idea from the photos here, comparison with the acrylic on the right and the original on the left. Showing it in the game doesn't do a lot in pics.

20210814_142646 (resized).jpg20210814_142646 (resized).jpg20210814_142642 (resized).jpg20210814_142642 (resized).jpg20210814_185812 (resized).jpg20210814_185812 (resized).jpg20210814_142841 (resized).jpg20210814_142841 (resized).jpg
#70 2 years ago

For those who asked about UM washout- Here are two shots, from 5'8" eye level (I am 6'2")and down to 4'5" until I get real black visuals on at least the top two boxes.

Even at 4'5", the bottom two display boxes are still washed out unless moving down to about 4'.
With that being said, UM is so colorful and so much action you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

I have not altered any settings on the display.

20211020_172236 (resized).jpg20211020_172236 (resized).jpg20211020_172255 (resized).jpg20211020_172255 (resized).jpg

#71 2 years ago

I don't know how to use the new mounting brackets for the new IPS LCD display
did you have a picture to install , why this is not possible to install same as the previous display

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballM:

I don't know how to use the new mounting brackets for the new IPS LCD display
did you have a picture to install , why this is not possible to install same as the previous display

It's not possible to use the same mount because the screens don't have the same mounting points. The IPS screens do not have screw holes. The controllers don't have the same screw pattern either.

Here are the install instructions for R&M/Ultraman/Halloween: https://pinballmods.co/rick-morty-ips-lcd-upgrade-instructions

#73 2 years ago

Sounds like there is enough interest in the protectors that I placed a small order. If you want to add them to your order you can use the following link and code PROFREE for free shipping with an existing IPS LCD order. Might be a very short delay while we wait for those to be produced but based on the DHL estimate of clearing customs for the screens it should be very close.

https://pinballmods.co/acrylic-screen-protector-spooky-pinball

#74 2 years ago

DHL has told me that 4 of the 5 packages have arrived. One went to the wrong facility and will be here soon. We'll start getting these boxed up and shipped after we spot test a few. Tracking numbers will automatically be sent

#75 2 years ago

The order of acrylic screen protectors are in. If you want one I have a handful left that can ship for free with your screen if it hasn't shipped yet. Screens are going out, tracking numbers automatically sent.

#76 2 years ago

I appreciate the updates!

#77 2 years ago

I put the IPS in my Halloween.... Daaaamm that looks NICE!!!!! Here are some comparison shots just to see the difference. Of course both versions are just a little washed out due to LED/camera but you get the idea

20211110_145855 (resized).jpg20211110_145855 (resized).jpg

20211110_193027 (resized).jpg20211110_193027 (resized).jpg

#78 2 years ago

My TNA replacement is on the way right now. Can’t wait to put it in!

#79 2 years ago

harryhoudini my kit (for R&M) came with some little black "pads" along with a few cable ties. It also has a couple of extra key hole cutouts which I assume are spacers if needed?

The installation video doesn't mention any of this stuff. Obviously I can wing it, but I wanted to ask if there are specific instructions for those parts.

Thanks!

#80 2 years ago

Just got my screen and installed it in TNA but have a few questions.

1. The top of the screen text is cut off and the controller won’t allow me to adjust the position of the screen. Any way to do this?

2. Sound is now very low even with the volume setting on the screen to 100%. Fix for this?

3. I have the controller loose because I can’t find instructions how to install in TNA. Lots of pads and zip ties included but don’t know where these are to be used?

The colors definitely look better then before! Blacks not grays!

EDIT: I adjusted the amp in the cabinet to bring the volume up and make a couple other small adjustments. I also moved the screen a little lower so the letters at the top aren’t cut off. Looks great!

C201C069-7931-42B0-8CDE-FBF34746DE97 (resized).jpegC201C069-7931-42B0-8CDE-FBF34746DE97 (resized).jpeg
#81 2 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, here is the updated installation video which covers some of the small differences in the latest kits. The included felt/foam strips are to get the fit just right for your mounting depth, especially on TNA/ACNC where the screen can sit on some of that hot melt glue that holds the screen protector in place.

For the full installation instruction page see: https://pinballmods.co/spooky-ips-lcd-upgrade-instructions

Quoted from Aniraf:

harryhoudini my kit (for R&M) came with some little black "pads" along with a few cable ties. It also has a couple of extra key hole cutouts which I assume are spacers if needed?
The installation video doesn't mention any of this stuff. Obviously I can wing it, but I wanted to ask if there are specific instructions for those parts.
Thanks!

Those cutouts will only be sent to people who got the acrylic screen protector upgrade. They allow for spacing out of the lock/controller bracket since the acrylic piece is thicker than the original piece. You can use one or both depending on the exact fit. I found just the thick one worked for me but, as with the foam strips, wanted to give options to get the fit nice.

#82 2 years ago

Hey guys,

for everyone who will change the stock display for a new IPS display - I desinged some Mounting Brackets for new IPS Display for selfprinting.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5140450

Hope it helps.

#83 2 years ago

Why not use this IPS LCD?
NV156FHM-N67
better colors 16.7M in 24-bit,
better contrast is 1000: 1 (Typ.) (TM)
better Brightness: 300 cd/m²
Treatment is the same: Antiglare + Hard coating (3H) so the same with -N4H

NV156FHM-N4H
colors are only 262k in 18-bit (not true color)
Contrast: 700: 1 (Typ.) (TM)
Brightness: 220 cd/m²

you can compare specs from:
https://www.lcds-center.com/product_BOE_NV156FHM-N67.html

i think i will use NV156FHM-N67

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballM:

Why not use this IPS LCD?
NV156FHM-N67
better colors 16.7M in 24-bit,
better contrast is 1000: 1 (Typ.) (TM)
better Brightness: 300 cd/m²
Treatment is the same: Antiglare + Hard coating (3H) so the same with -N4H
NV156FHM-N4H
colors are only 262k in 18-bit (not true color)
Contrast: 700: 1 (Typ.) (TM)
Brightness: 220 cd/m²
you can compare specs from:
https://www.lcds-center.com/product_BOE_NV156FHM-N67.html
i think i will use NV156FHM-N67

Hmmm I bought 2 screens orders from him.
I received 2 different models-
NV156FHM-N4V
NV156FHM-N4M
He said they are essentially the same, but neither of which match what you posted above. Both look to be 16.2m colors- 6 bit.

#85 2 years ago

I believe most (if not all) orders are getting the N4M or N4V which is very close to the N67. There were a lot of factors that started with what was available on Amazon at the time, price, size, controller compatibility and then finally what the suppliers had access to and timeframe. I think the N4H was only some of the very early screens which I was testing and which I purchased on Amazon for some others who could not get shipment to their country. It's been back and forth so much that I don't recall exactly but I believe that is how it shook out.

#86 2 years ago

Thanks for clarifying because the N4H did not have the best characteristics in terms of colorimetry, brightness and contrast.
For those who want to buy it the N4M is really very good according to the specifications.

2 weeks later
#87 2 years ago

Just finished installing my kit and it doesn’t work. Shows a white / grey screen only.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Just finished installing my kit and it doesn’t work. Shows a white / grey screen only.

Is the green LED on the controller board lit? Does it turn on and off with the controller power button? If that's good, does the menu appear on the screen when you push other buttons on the control board? If not, I would work on resetting your ribbon cable where it goes into the monitor. Blue strip down towards the monitor.

#89 2 years ago

I stepped away from Pinside for about six weeks. Now I’m back with lots of catching up to do. Do you have them in stock or do I have to wait? I need four; TNA, ACNC, RM and UM

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Is the green LED on the controller board lit? Does it turn on and off with the controller power button? If that's good, does the menu appear on the screen when you push other buttons on the control board? If not, I would work on resetting your ribbon cable where it goes into the monitor. Blue strip down towards the monitor.

Green led is on. Screen shows kind of gray image across whole screen except corners. Menu won’t appear. I tried even second cable. Same results.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I stepped away from Pinside for about six weeks. Now I’m back with lots of catching up to do. Do you have them in stock or do I have to wait? I need four; TNA, ACNC, RM and UM

I would hold off mine is bad and waiting for a reply and crickets.

#92 2 years ago

So to report back the panel supplied was defective harryhoudini has not responded to emails or pm here.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

So to report back the panel supplied was defective harryhoudini has not responded to emails or pm here.

It is a weekend around the Holidays, so maybe he has other things going on in life; give him a little more time to respond.

How did you test the screen to verify it is defective? I found the ribbon cable connector pins are very fine and would be easy to mis-seat.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Sorry, been sick in bed. Return has been taken care of.

Quoted from ToucanF16:

We have about 7 screens left so should be no problem.

#95 2 years ago

I am also having troubles with my display. I've tried reseating each of the included ribbon cables twice and there is no change in the problem.
PRESENTS (resized).jpgPRESENTS (resized).jpgCREATED BY (resized).jpgCREATED BY (resized).jpg Superfluous Butt Capacity (resized).jpgSuperfluous Butt Capacity (resized).jpg

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

I am also having troubles with my display. I've tried reseating each of the included ribbon cables twice and there is no change in the problem.
[quoted image][quoted image] [quoted image]

Sending you a PM

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Having been the original tester, the screen is flawless, it is friggin' awesome.
The controller that I was originally told to pick up had a HORRIBLE image on it, in my machine. (Hardly enough color range - dim colors were blacked out, etc.) I could live with that - but the audio at max - on all levels (game software, LCD controller, and amp) was hardly loud at all.
Switched controllers, which fixed the color issue, and made the audio a touch louder.
Replaced my amp, and - I can pump it so loud that the glass will crack.
The second tester, as far as I know, used the original IPS and controller, and had no issue (at least, with the audio). So the SOUND issue was likely my amp being bad. (Or, Spooky used two different amps; these amp are cheap chinese 2.1 amps that are cheap and on Amazon.)
As far as my new amp goes - holy hell, I really, REALLY recommend the amp I got for ACNC; but that's off-topic here. Ahem.
So, don't let the bad audio stop you from signing up and getting one.

Not to get too off topic but what amp did you get for acnc?

#98 2 years ago

Not to say don't buy this (as I'm thinking of getting one myself) but I'm assuming you guys have adjusted the color, contrast and gamma on these games? I just got my halloween and out of the box, the screen looks washed out. A few clicks later in options and it's 80% better. Just a reminder for those waiting for the better screen to arrive....

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Not to get too off topic but what amp did you get for acnc?

I don't recall which one he ended up with but this is the one I put in R&M and it was a drastic difference. I know I suggested it but not sure if Coyote went with that or another.

https://amzn.to/32iHmO7

#100 2 years ago

I don't recall which one he ended up with but this is the one I put in R&M and it was a drastic difference. I know I suggested it but not sure if Coyote went with that or another.
https://amzn.to/32iHmO7

Coyote sent me a link to this one which is what he went with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRG75NV

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ips-lcd-upgrade-interest-rampm-acnc-tna-and-more/page/2?hl=aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.