(Topic ID: 298782)

IPS LCD Upgrade Interest? R&M, ACNC, TNA and more?

By harryhoudini

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by pinballM
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“You interested? ”

• IPS LCD & Controller 21 votes
    64%
  • Acrylic Cover R&M 7 votes
    21%
  • Acrylic Cover ACNC / TNA 5 votes
    15%

(Multiple choice - 33 votes by 21 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C201C069-7931-42B0-8CDE-FBF34746DE97 (resized).jpeg
20211110_193027 (resized).jpg
20211110_145855 (resized).jpg
20211020_172255 (resized).jpg
20211020_172236 (resized).jpg
20210814_142841 (resized).jpg
20210814_185812 (resized).jpg
20210814_142646 (resized).jpg
20210814_142642 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210816-210801_YouTube (resized).jpg
20210814_142646 (resized).jpg
Screen (resized).jpg
compare (resized).jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 months ago

I recently did the IPS LCD upgrade on my R&M. It's a fantastic upgrade to the stock LCD and makes for a much better viewing experience. The blacks are dark black, there is no washed out gray and the viewing angle is almost unlimited. I originally ordered from Amazon the LCD and controller and most of my research showed that ordering a similar item from China direct wasn't much cheaper. I finally heard back from a few distributors and it seems like, in large enough quantity, there can be a decent discount had. Price for screen and controller would likely be around $110-120 or something like that. I designed some brackets to mount this in R&M and am working on getting some feedback on a new set for ACNC and TNA. I don't know about the other Spooky games but happy to help figure it out.

Here are the brackets for R&M. The ones for ACNC and TNA are similar but modified to fit the different wood panel those games have instead of the metal. https://pinballmods.co/rick-morty-lcd-upgrade-ips-bracket?search=bracket

I posted a bunch more detail on the R&M club thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/311#post-6430379

I also created a new abrasion resistant acrylic panel for R&M to replace the stock one that is there. I think the original is PETG and is about .06" whereas the acrylic is .12" and has much better clarity. Waiting for some feedback from the few samples I sent out but it seems like it could be a nice companion upgrade. This would likely be another $45 or so. ACNC and TNA might be a more difficult upgrade since the stock piece is glued/siliconed in. Haven't had anyone attempt to remove it yet and I'd probably need to get one in my hands to design the replacement to be exact.

Just looking to judge interest mainly on the LCD/controller. Probably need to order 25 or 50 pcs to get a significant discount. Delivery times would be pretty fast since it would be via DHL.

20210814_142646 (resized).jpgScreen (resized).jpgcompare (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

Thanks for doing this. Would potentially be interested for ACNC, and have an Ultraman coming as well — not sure if Spooky plans to use the same screens for the new games?

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Thanks for doing this. Would potentially be interested for ACNC, and have an Ultraman coming as well — not sure if Spooky plans to use the same screens for the new games?

I would assume they would have announced a screen upgrade if there was one. Especially since the cost difference is not insignificant, but I guess we'll have to wait until someone has one in hand. The metal panel looks the same as R&M so I'm thinking that hasn't changed either so the R&M brackets should fit (along with the acrylic).

#4 3 months ago

I'd be in on a screen and controller for a TNA

#5 3 months ago

Great job ....

#6 3 months ago

If this ends up being a thing for Ultraman, I would buy one as well. Curious what the ones they're using currently are? TN?

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

If this ends up being a thing for Ultraman, I would buy one as well. Curious what the ones they're using currently are? TN?
I use an IPS at home for gaming and while the color and black levels are great, it does definitely have it's weaknesses. LCD still isn't one-size-fits-all, unfortunately. =\

What weakness have you noticed? I only use my 16" Macbook these days and I can't get over the display quality.

I can pull the panel out of the housing from my R&M and see if there are part numbers.

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What weakness have you noticed? I only use my 16" Macbook these days and I can't get over the display quality.
I can pull the panel out of the housing from my R&M and see if there are part numbers.

I just had to fact check myself! It's actually a VA panel, NOT IPS. Wishful thinking on my part, probably. Deleted the part above since I don't know what I'm talking about anymore LOL.

But yeah.....suffice to say I can't recommend *VA* panels for gaming, even as cheap as they can be. This crap is confusing. There's a reason we have three different LCD standards (TN, IPS, VA) because they do different things better or worse.

#9 3 months ago

I'm in if this works for ACNC.,

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm in if this works for ACNC.,

We're testing ACNC right now, and even without my test install finished, the blacks looked amazing when I first powered the screen on. I'm in love.

#11 3 months ago

Now if you can do something about that Rob Zombie screen!!!! (and video quality!).

#12 3 months ago

Sounds like in general TNA and ACNC are no problem from the technical side. I just sent out the updated bracket design to the two testing. So should be good there.

The R&M stock panel in my game is NT156WHM-N50, TFT LCD 1366x768.

#13 3 months ago

I'd be in for two full sets. One for my Rick and Morty that I haven't bought yet and one for my Halloween because Loomis said he has the blackest eyes, and I'm gonna need him to mean it.

Screenshot_20210816-210801_YouTube (resized).jpg
#14 3 months ago

Mark me down for 2 sets as well (Halloween and R&M)

#15 3 months ago

Wonder if SpookyCharlie is following this thread.

#16 3 months ago

Cool, looks like the interest is here. Working on getting a sample order placed with a vendor so we can check out the quality.

#17 3 months ago

That's a TN panel, for reference.

*edit* Basic comparison article for TN/VA/IPS tech here: https://www.howtogeek.com/658701/tn-vs.-ips-vs.-va-whats-the-best-display-panel-technology/

IMO IPS is probably the best option here. My complaint with my VA panel is that while the contrast is great, I do get smudging in my games running ~125+ FPS. No clue if it happens at lower framerates because I've never attempted to framerate lock them lower to find out. I don't expect that these machines are pushing anything more than 60hz, but you'd really need to look at VA and IPS side by side to compare, and even then it would still be highly subjective. IPS is the best "compromise" in general, short of doing something bonkers like an OLED screen.

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's a TN panel, for reference.
*edit* Basic comparison article for TN/VA/IPS tech here: https://www.howtogeek.com/658701/tn-vs.-ips-vs.-va-whats-the-best-display-panel-technology/
IMO IPS is probably the best option here. My complaint with my VA panel is that while the contrast is great, I do get smudging in my games running ~125+ FPS. No clue if it happens at lower framerates because I've never attempted to framerate lock them lower to find out. I don't expect that these machines are pushing anything more than 60hz, but you'd really need to look at VA and IPS side by side to compare, and even then it would still be highly subjective. IPS is the best "compromise" in general, short of doing something bonkers like an OLED screen.

For a pinball machine, refresh rate isn't really a factor (at least not on current games - not even on the P3); VA seems like the perfect fit for this scenario

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For a pinball machine, refresh rate isn't really a factor (at least not on current games - not even on the P3); VA seems like the perfect fit for this scenario

Yeah. I'd still be concerned about the smudging. I could try to framerate lock some games when I get home tonight, but let's be honest...it's not really going to be too relevant when you're comparing a 37" or whatever widescreen monitor two feet from my face to a 14" screen 5 feet away. Of course I'll notice a lot more on my screen that may be entirely negligible on the size and location of a pinball machine screen.

#20 3 months ago

You can count me in for a 2 sets - TNA and ACNC. Nice work!

#21 3 months ago

Hi Scott,

add one set for me please.

#22 3 months ago

I’m in for a set on R&M. Thanks!

#23 3 months ago

Cool. Looks like the samples we're getting are the same manufacturer at the original screen so I'm hoping quality is great. I'll update when they arrive and post an order page so everyone can get signed up.

#24 3 months ago

Put me on the list!

Thanks for doing this!

#25 3 months ago

I shared some of the B&A photos on the TNA install this morning over on the TNA club thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/159#post-6453713

#26 3 months ago

I would like to be on the list for one for TNA

#27 3 months ago

I would be in for TNA.

#28 3 months ago

I'm in for one for TNA.

#29 3 months ago

That list of people who plan to order? You can add me for one for R&M.

How many screens do you plan to buy in bulk? I bet you could sell 1000.

#30 3 months ago

count me for r&m

#31 3 months ago

I'm in for a set for ACNC

#32 3 months ago

Count me in for TNA

#33 3 months ago

I'm in for R&M if I haven't already posted this. I have a terrible memory!

#34 3 months ago

harryhoudini , I’m in for TNA, ACNC, RM and UM. Looking forward to this project.

#35 3 months ago

I'm in for UM if that's happening.

#36 3 months ago

I'm in for R&M and Halloween

#37 3 months ago

I'm in for R&M, Alice and UM.

Thanks

#38 3 months ago

R&M and Halloween for me!

#39 3 months ago

Heh... this isn't a list but glad to hear of the interest! The samples have shipped and are on the way to me so we'll be able to confirm quality shortly and I'll post a link here to get an order placed from the supplier. Should be no problem accommodating everyone who wants one.

#40 3 months ago

Definitely in for Halloween! Well done!

#41 3 months ago

I would be in for one on ACNC and Halloween

#42 3 months ago

I would do one for TNA and Rick and Morty.

#43 3 months ago

Looking for another ACNC owner to do a test for me. I need to send someone a screen and controller to get feedback on screen visual and audio quality. First tester reported that the audio volume out of the controller is somewhat less than the original. I want to see if we can confirm this. I can send the scree and controller at cost. PM me.

#44 3 months ago

In for TnA

#45 3 months ago

You can have winner (and windfall) here is all works out. I’m in for four when all the bugs, supplychain, and pricing issues are ironed out.

#46 3 months ago

For anyone here that has an ACNC, we need your help.

This would involve buying a screen and controller from Amazon, and giving feedback on picture and audio quality. Once the test is done, the screen and controller can be returned. I tested a screen and controller board, but can not complete the test as I have an issue with the amp in the game.

If you can help, contact me or harryhoudini !

#47 3 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For anyone here that has an ACNC, we need your help.
This would involve buying a screen and controller from Amazon, and giving feedback on picture and audio quality. Once the test is done, the screen and controller can be returned. I tested a screen and controller board, but can not complete the test as I have an issue with the amp in the game.
If you can help, contact me or harryhoudini !

Don't need to buy from Amazon, just contact me and I can sell one of the samples I have.

#48 3 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Don't need to buy from Amazon, just contact me and I can sell one of the samples I have.

Even better and easier!

#49 3 months ago

I'm happy to help with anything needed for this upgrade for ACNC. Just let me know.......

#50 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm happy to help with anything needed for this upgrade for ACNC. Just let me know.......

Excellent, just sent you a PM

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside