Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by GPS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 9 months ago

Hello All

Hoping tjeee is someone out there that can assist. I have called my cell provider (Consumer Cell) and their tech support has to be the worst.

Anyway this is what is going on: I cannot seem to send email while away from wifi. I can receive email no problem but when I goto respond to it and then hit send it gives me an error and then only goes through when I am back in wifi.

Have the latest software in the phone. I am using the Apple email application. If there are any other questions in order to help get this resolved please ask and I’ll be happy to answer

Thank you in advance! Really like to get this working as the phone in question is my business phone

G

#2 9 months ago

Try this...

Make sure Mail app (or the app you use to send emails) is allowed to use cellular data:

Settings > Cellular > scroll down until you see Mail app (or other) and check if it’s allowed (button turned on green)

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Try this...
Make sure Mail app (or the app you use to send emails) is allowed to use cellular data:
Settings > Cellular > scroll down until you see Mail app (or other) and check if it’s allowed (button turned on green)

Thank you for responding. It is on. I checked that after I typed the inquiry. Sorry. Should have included this. Thank you

#4 9 months ago

Just to double check, is the cellular icon enabled on your swipe down settings screen? It should be shaded green (when enabled) and is one of 4 circles in the upper left corner of the pull down settings screen (icon next to air plane mode). Try toggling it on and off + rebooting the phone.

#5 9 months ago

In NL there are providers combining their network to their mailadresses.

If you than try to use their mailserver from outside their network (like cellular) than the smtp server doesn’t allow it.

So, does another phone work OK and is it only your iPhone X having the issue? What kind of mailadress is it? Try a gmail adress, they don’t care about network providers.

#6 9 months ago

First answer is always to close every open app and shut your phone off completely. Then turn it back on.

How to close an app:
From the Home Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle of the screen.
Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.

Then, hold down the screen lock button until you see the slider button at the top of the screen and slide it to turn the phone all the way off.

Wait a minute or so for it to fully shut down, the turn it back on and check for any different behavior with the Mail app.

After all that if it's still happening, then it's time to start looking into settings/features.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just to double check, is the cellular icon enabled on your swipe down settings screen? It should be shaded green (when enabled) and is one of 4 circles in the upper left corner of the pull down settings screen (icon next to air plane mode). Try toggling it on and off + rebooting the phone.

Verified what you asked me to check and it is indeed enabled. Thank you PanzerFreak

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

First answer is always to close every open app and shut your phone off completely. Then turn it back on.
How to close an app:
From the Home Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle of the screen.
Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.
Then, hold down the screen lock button until you see the slider button at the top of the screen and slide it to turn the phone all the way off.
Wait a minute or so for it to fully shut down, the turn it back on and check for any different behavior with the Mail app.
After all that if it's still happening, then it's time to start looking into settings/features.

Yes sir. Have done this. Keep most of my apps “closed” unless using them. Will power cycle phone just to be sure. Thank you

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from Rensh:

In NL there are providers combining their network to their mailadresses.
If you than try to use their mailserver from outside their network (like cellular) than the smtp server doesn’t allow it.
So, does another phone work OK and is it only your iPhone X having the issue? What kind of mailadress is it? Try a gmail adress, they don’t care about network providers.

Will try this. Thank you

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from GPS:

Will try this. Thank you

Along the lines of what Rensh suggested, This might be what you need to do. It would help to know the type of e-mail and domain.

0. An SMTP server is an outgoing mail server.

1. When connected to your WiFi network you need to configure an SMTP server on your iPhone that is managed by your ISP. This will usually require authentication (username and password), but not always - it depends on the ISP.

2. Some ISPs will allow you to connect to their SMTP server even when not on their network. If they do they will definitely require username and password. If yours does you are finished, you can use your phone both on WiFi and over the cellular network. You should check with your ISPs support or their web site to find out.

3. If your ISP does not allow use of their SMTP server when not on their network THEN you must add an additional SMTP server, the one supported by your cellular carrier. This one almost never requires (or allows) entry of username and password. You will thus have 2 SMTP servers defined on your iPhone. When you send email the iPhone will try the SMTP server at the top of the list first, and if that fails after a couple of minutes it will try the next one on the list.

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Along the lines of what Rensh suggested, This might be what you need to do. It would help to know the type of e-mail and domain.
0. An SMTP server is an outgoing mail server.
1. When connected to your WiFi network you need to configure an SMTP server on your iPhone that is managed by your ISP. This will usually require authentication (username and password), but not always - it depends on the ISP.
2. Some ISPs will allow you to connect to their SMTP server even when not on their network. If they do they will definitely require username and password. If yours does you are finished, you can use your phone both on WiFi and over the cellular network. You should check with your ISPs support or their web site to find out.
3. If your ISP does not allow use of their SMTP server when not on their network THEN you must add an additional SMTP server, the one supported by your cellular carrier. This one almost never requires (or allows) entry of username and password. You will thus have 2 SMTP servers defined on your iPhone. When you send email the iPhone will try the SMTP server at the top of the list first, and if that fails after a couple of minutes it will try the next one on the list.

I can tell you this that I never need to put in my login and password on my phone for email. Just tap the application. I’ll try to find out from my carrier though previous attempts have been perilous and drought with inability

Thank you

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.