(Topic ID: 202760)

iPhone can be unlocked by family members with Face ID

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/

It seems the Face ID system has some trouble telling family members apart, such as children and siblings if they look similar.

The suggestion to try to mitigate this issue is to either make sure to register your face in good lighting, however it still isn't foolproof, and still can sometimes be unlocked by relatives. It may be best to simply disable the face ID feature if this appears to be a problem.

Detouring slightly, face ID can also be fooled by a mask, but is unlikely to be used unless someone is determined to access your phone:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/13/16642690/bkav-iphone-x-faceid-mask

#2 6 years ago

Adding to the list of the reasons I don't buy Apple products.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Samsung has had similar problems. The facial recognition technology for these portable devices is in its infancy.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-admits-galaxy-s8-facial-recognition-technology-not-secure-mobile-payments-2530237

#4 6 years ago

Don't have apple but it would be hard for anyone to tell my dad and me apart.
    -Mike

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/
    It seems the Face ID system has some trouble telling family members apart, such as children and siblings if they look similar.
    The suggestion to try to mitigate this issue is to either make sure to register your face in good lighting, however it still isn't foolproof, and still can sometimes be unlocked by relatives. It may be best to simply disable the face ID feature if this appears to be a problem.
    Detouring slightly, face ID can also be fooled by a mask, but is unlikely to be used unless someone is determined to access your phone:
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/13/16642690/bkav-iphone-x-faceid-mask

The mom had just trained the phone and in poor lighting, after further training, the kid couldn't use his face to unlock it anymore.

The mask thing is really sketchy and seems like a smear piece, they may have 'trained' it with the mask as other more reputable reports tried very sophisticated masks after proper training on a human face and the FaceID worked properly, not allowing the mask.

TLDR: This crap is FUD

#6 6 years ago

Touch ID was way less secure then Face ID.

#7 6 years ago

Biometrics aren't a great way to secure things to begin with. They can be duplicated in one way or another, or copied/taken from you and used without your permission.

A good password can't be stolen from your head (as long as you don't have it written down somewhere). Plus, if it comes to it, authorities or anyone else can't force you to give up a password--but they can take your fingerprints or use your face to gain access to a device without your permission.

Biometrics can be used to compliment password entry as an additional security layer, but it's generally not a good idea to use biometrics as the *only* security measure. That's why you sometimes see some safes with both a combination and a fingerprint scanner--you need to know both the combination and have a valid fingerprint in order to open it. If you're missing one piece or the other, it's much tougher to get into it. Banks typically have a combination, keys, and a timer on vaults, which makes unauthorized entry even more difficult. Multiple layers means it's tougher to get into, thus more secure.

The biometrics on mobile devices exchange security for convenience.

#8 6 years ago

Is there Really Any security measure that Can't be beat with enough money or effort??? If someone wants to kidnap one of my kids or invest thousands of dollars in a mask to see my phone photos I have way bigger issues to have concern over. I think Apple created a creative solution to provide convenience to those that wouldn't even make an effort to add a passcode. Foolproof no but if they want in to Any security they Will.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I don't think this is so much an issue with apple as it is with technology progression as a whole. Besides, the only reason it exists is because the iPhone X eliminated the home button, and really, no one *needs* an iPhone X over the standard phone. Perhaps in the future when apple inevitably makes all their phones with this feature and eliminates all the buttons, they'll have fixed bits of the software regarding facial recognition.

#10 6 years ago

I still miss the smart phones that had a slide-out keyboard, like the DROID 3 and 4...

#11 6 years ago

what are you hiding?

#12 6 years ago

As someone who actually owns an iPhone X...I've found the face ID to be just as if not more reliable than the touch ID on my iPhone 6. No issues with either of my sons being able to unlock it.

#13 6 years ago

I'm betting Windows Hello isn't much better.
    There is a reason why Corp world isn't embracing biometrics. (Our corp laptops has cameras and finger print scanners; but that cannot be used in place of a login/password).
    Maybe as CV (computer vision) matures it will become more secure. I think CV is like early voice recognition... eventually there will be several leaps of improvement that the computations will become more adaptive and responsive. Think about 2000s voice apps like dragon naturally speaking... and how good Alexa, Siri, and Google are getting a understanding people from across rooms. Sadly; those apps still require "cloud level" computations to compute the voice string... when they can move that voice work into the onboard local cpus; then real progress will be made.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

As someone who actually owns an iPhone X...I've found the face ID to be just as if not more reliable than the touch ID on my iPhone 6. No issues with either of my sons being able to unlock it.

I’ve consistently had issues with mine day after day. I’m a week in and overall disappointed. About to just give up and go get an 8. Fingerprint idea worked so flawlessly.
    And my not even 2 year old son who sorta resembles me was able to unlock my phone the other night.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I’ve consistently had issues with mine day after day. I’m a week in and overall disappointed. About to just give up and go get an 8. Fingerprint idea worked so flawlessly.
    And my not even 2 year old son who sorta resembles me was able to unlock my phone the other night.

They are saying you need to further train the face recognition in good lighting if you are having initial issues with others being able to unlock it.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Is there Really Any security measure that Can't be beat with enough money or effort??? If someone wants to kidnap one of my kids or invest thousands of dollars in a mask to see my phone photos I have way bigger issues to have concern over. I think Apple created a creative solution to provide convenience to those that wouldn't even make an effort to add a passcode. Foolproof no but if they want in to Any security they Will.

Exactly. Never understood why the masses put so much faith in these company's glib assurances that your data is safe and unhackable with the systems they have in place when history has proven exactly the opposite on multiple occasions.

Their primary purpose is to turnover cheap mass produced consumer product and get a return for their shareholders, worrying about aftermarket customer care is always going to be well down the list of priorities.

The best solution once you accept that premise is to regard every iteration as an eventually disposable throwaway product and never have anything of personal value stored on it in the first place.

In the meantime though, most users will continue to treat their phone like it is some kind of personal safety deposit box to store every minutiae of their private life on there and then cry foul when the inevitable happens (circumvented hacks, stolen, data leaks et al).

#17 6 years ago

Good thieves attack at the weakest point to get the most value. Your single phone isn't worth the hassle to the guys who know how to get into it. They are concentrating on corporate weaknesses to access thousands off accounts and identities at once.

Security on your phone is a balance between access and convenience. "How do I keep my girlfriend out of my phone without slowing down my access to Tinder."

Yes someone could steal your phone and break into your accounts/passwords, but why bother. If they are after you personally, they will get it if they get your phone or not.

Most phone thefts are about the physical device, not the data it contains.

If I was carrying around the nuclear codes, I would worry about this more, but for now I just use the reasonable person theory.

#18 6 years ago

With face recognition, if the cops want into your iPhone they won't have to cry about not being able to get in. All the gotta do is point your phone at your face and they are in.

Are you passed out drunk somewhere? Any prankster, or perp, can slide your phone from your pocket, point it at your face and get in.

#19 6 years ago

Biometrics are terrible security. The secrets are known publicly because you walk around all day brandishing them. Fingerprints, face, etc... can all be recreated from photos.

The trade off with security is most always convenience or ease of use.

Then you get into 2FA and the myriad of vendors. I have nine 2FA apps on my phone. 2 are for gaming, 7 are for work.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

With face recognition, if the cops want into your iPhone they won't have to cry about not being able to get in. All the gotta do is point your phone at your face and they are in.
    Are you passed out drunk somewhere? Any prankster, or perp, can slide your phone from your pocket, point it at your face and get in.

If you don't look at the phone, it won't unlock. So the cop thing is bullshit.

If you're passed out, your eyes are closed - and if people hold your eyes open, their hands are in the way. So, also bullshit.

Thanks for playing. You get no consolation prize.

#21 6 years ago

What about....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

If you don't look at the phone, it won't unlock. So the cop thing is bullshit.
    If you're passed out, your eyes are closed - and if people hold your eyes open, their hands are in the way. So, also bullshit.
    Thanks for playing. You get no consolation prize.

Excuse me if I got it wrong. I only know what I find when I'm reading. Here are 4 links that seem to support the idea that the cops can get in if they want to.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2017/09/12/the_iphone_x_s_face_id_is_a_major_privacy_concern.html

https://www.wired.com/story/iphone-x-faceid-security/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16298156/apple-iphone-x-face-id-security-privacy-police-unlock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/13/what-happens-if-a-cop-forces-you-to-unlock-your-iphone-x-with-your-face/?utm_term=.5e3e49b67862

Please share any links to negate what I have been reading.

Back to you.

#23 6 years ago

Did you read any of them? or just google search and copy a bunch of links? All of that sensationalist FUD garbage doesn't refute anything I said.

The last one basically says the cops can trick you into looking at your phone, because, like I said, if you don't look at it, the unlock doesn't happen.

#24 6 years ago

Facebook recently prompted me to tag a photo of myself... with somebody else's name.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The last one basically says the cops can trick you into looking at your phone, because, like I said, if you don't look at it, the unlock doesn't happen.

And someone can't easily move the phone into your field of view?

Haven't you ever had someone thrust something in front of you and say "hey, look at this!"

Relying on the position of your gaze to be a method of security is not secure. It's a gimmick, at best.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Haven't you ever had someone thrust something in front of you and say "hey, look at this!"
    Relying on the position of your gaze to be a method of security is not secure. It's a gimmick, at best.

Yeah, but a Hey Look at this would be followed by a "why do you have my phone ass*^&^" and a sock in the mouth? lol If they stole or you did something So bad that a police officer took your phone you have Way bigger issues to deal with. Add to that without verbal permission they would have no Value in tricking access to your phone? Kind of like you opening your front door and they bum rush the house because you opened the door. Won't happen unless you Really F'd up and they have Legal reason to do so. Yes Apple created something different and no it's not for everyone but seriously, they were not trying to keep area 51 secrets hidden! Just a simple if they steal your phone you have some level of protection nothing more. To say it can't like ANY security be compromised would be futile and foolish.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No different than a cop grabbing your hand and putting your finger on a touch ID sensor. FaceID isn't any worse than TouchID was. Sure, it's not perfect, but most of the "press" about it is inaccurate fear mongering for clicks.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No different than a cop grabbing your hand and putting your finger on a touch ID sensor. FaceID isn't any worse than TouchID was. Sure, it's not perfect, but most of the "press" about it is inaccurate fear mongering for clicks.

But the internet Never lies and Apple works for the man! I read it!! They only put a HD camera in the front so they can see you in the bathroom and the aliens are watching your WIFI movements! It's true and Apple is behind it!!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I said above that biometrics are not secure. I wouldn't trust either method to secure anything.

#30 6 years ago

I’m sure most law enforcement could care less what is on your phone unless your doing something illegal.

I agree though this stuff shouldn’t be considered that secure but for the avg person I am sure it’s fine.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I’m sure most law enforcement could care less what is on your phone unless your doing something illegal.
    I agree though this stuff shouldn’t be considered that secure but for the avg person I am sure it’s fine.

A lot of people use online banking these days with baking apps, paypal, stripe, etc.

If someone gains access to your phone, they can basically have unfettered access to your finances, social media, personal info, etc.

Personally, I'd want all that stuff locked down as tightly as possible. Good security is simply going to be a little inconvenient.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A lot of people use online banking these days with baking apps, paypal, stripe, etc.
    If someone gains access to your phone, they can basically have unfettered access to your finances, social media, personal info, etc.
    Personally, I'd want all that stuff locked down as tightly as possible. Good security is simply going to be a little inconvenient.

Yeah but if I lose my phone they have to gain access to it without me knowing...how are they going to do that?

#33 6 years ago

I don't know how the hell the face recognition would work for people like me, after a long weekend of parytying I can't recognize myself in the mirror and I seriously doubt the iphone could either! Even my dear old mum may not be able to after I've been on a good bender!

#34 6 years ago

FaceID makes you look like a tool. Authing your phone for Apple Pay. Here, let me pay for my goods but before I do that, i need to strike a pose. Nope.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yeah but if I lose my phone they have to gain access to it without me knowing...how are they going to do that?

True, they might not be able to if they don't know who you are.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I'd want all that stuff locked down as tightly as possible.

I know everyone has a different risk profile, but again, your phone is not the easiest way to get your banking information.

First layer - Physical Access. Where do you keep your phone? I don't know many people who can go 5 minutes without knowing where it is. Seriously, how often is it not in your possession and in a place that a thief could gain access.

Second Layer - Phone Lock, you can argue all you want about the methods above, but they are all pretty secure unless someone is targeting you specifically. And if that's the case you are screwed anyway. You have to go to great lengths to open an anonymous locked phone, look what the FBI had to do.

Third Layer - Passwords for your banks and other critical accounts. If you are worried about the layers above, then don't link your apps or passwords to your phone and login each time.

There are easier ways to get your info than your phone; like hacking the bank, spoofing your wifi, age-old social engineering methods, or just drug you and beat you up!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iphone-can-be-unlocked-by-family-members-with-face-id and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.