5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Not wanting to resurrect an old thread just to ask this, but does anyone else’s memory not jive with dates in IPDB? Not that I am disputing one over another, however, there are titles when I look at the dates, and my memory puts these pinball machines in establishments around my childhood home at times that are months ahead of the IPDB date of manufacture and are more between the project start date and manufacturing date.

So my question is, how soon after a project start date did sample games start shipping out? I can give you an example of a date and the reason I remember the machine BEFORE the Date of manufacture. Bally Xenon. Date of Manufacture November of 80. This pin was in Beaver-Vu Bowling alley during my senior high school bowling league in 1979-1980, and we used to play it before, during, and after league. I joined the US Navy in August of 1980 and shipped out to Chicago. So I know I was playing it before November, in Beavercreek, Ohio, and for some time too, like months before.

I think I lived in a pinball nirvana growing up near Dayton, Ohio. We probably played a lot of pinball on new sample games and didn’t even know it at the time. Truth be told, I think the operator for some of our old arcade hangouts was Mike Pacak, but I have never asked him to be certain. One thing was for cetain, at the time in 77-80, Dayton was a great flipping place to live.

#2 5 years ago

The 1979 -80 fits the time frame to likely have seen it. I'd bet on you did.

The human mind does play tricks and fill in details. Or 30 years later did you see a picture and think you played it or did you really play it.

Fun stuff. We often see posts of a game in the wild years before possible or a location it never could have been in. People will swear to their dying day they played it there/then. Though the providence of pictures or anything is always missing.

Enjoy the memories. It's all pinball. All good.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

This is a lot of remembering to consider it at fault if it is. One does not easily forget the weekly barage of “Ooos” and “Ahhs” and “Welcome to Xenon” or “Try tube shot” or your first multiball experience on a modern SS Bally, especially a hyper sexualized 17 year old high school student who saw people having sex in everything except a mirror.

#4 5 years ago

IPDB has gotten more strict and systematic about dates as new insider sources have become available. The Project Start Date is when the game got a Project Number and some of the associated internal paperwork. Bally is especially interesting because they had games that were cancelled after the samples were made and sent out; those games have no Manufacturing Date.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ipdb-vs-memory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.