5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by RustyLizard
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“IPDB Needs Support”

• I'm missing the IPDB 3 votes
      12%
    • I'm willing to help the IPDB 5 votes
      19%
    • I'm willing to help donate to IPDB to support them 15 votes
      58%
    • 1 vote
      4%
    • I'm don't care if the IPDB is up or not 2 votes
      8%

(26 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 5 months ago

Sorry Jay! Mods please lock the thread.

#2 5 months ago

I had kicked in some detail on 1964 Bally Mad World earlier this year to Jay. He stated that he was so backed up and was waiting for a new server? Or something like that.

Does he need computer help, scanning, documenting or all the above, help?

#3 5 months ago

I’m not sure myself but hoping he chimes in. I know I’d be happy to donate money and support with pics. It’s a great resource and appreciate everyone that has helped support it.

#4 5 months ago

I use it just about every day.

For reference photos, manuals, interesting facts, etc.

I probably send in stuff to Jay a few times a month to add or update. But unfortunately, the site has been pretty much frozen for a good while now

#5 5 months ago

I desperately want it to update. It is such a massive resource and there are numerous entries I’ve submitted fixes for it and additional data I’ve submitted that would dramatically improve the database. I think of all the obscure games I love and how many underground owners who don’t use the web use the IPDB as their ONLY source of information.

#6 5 months ago

IPDB is an amazing resource. I would donate or help out or anything really.

#7 5 months ago

With all due respect to Pinside, IPDB is the best pinball website on the net. I probably visit it once a day for some reason.

#8 5 months ago

It seems like some people would donate, but I guess we don't really know what exactly the current maintainer needs? I assume it's not server costs since it's still running? Do they just need someone to cover processing all the submitted updates? Help coding stuff?

#9 5 months ago

Don't want to put words in Jay's mouth, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's as simple as just, he's over it. People make time for the things they're passionate about. It's no sin to get burned out. I mean, raise your hand if you've abandoned a website or blog in the last twenty years. I've had a few.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I mean, raise your hand if you've abandoned a website or blog in the last twenty years. I've had a few.

Literally 5 minutes after I created them. Both times. Web development apparently is not my bag, LOL.

#11 5 months ago

I'm all for helping him with the backlog of data entry. Contributed a few things there in the past myself as well.
    My skills set only goes so far when it comes to web work but I can help within those limitation.

-Hans

#12 5 months ago

I was just thinking the other day how underappreciated IPDB was. It is a valuable service that I use all of the time.

It is nice to have a copy of the schematic for every pin, but sometimes I only need to fix one or two problems. Instead of paying $20 for a schematic and having to wait for it to arrive, I can just look it up on IPDB.

I always download the manuals and schematics for every game I own. I am always looking up information about the pins. When I posted to the Project Pin thread, I used IPDB all of the time to get information about the Project Pin I was posting.

There are a lot of responsible former IT people here who would be glad to help, maybe not so much as a single person operation, but perhaps more as a single point of contact with lots of helpers. I'm a former MIS guy and would be glad to help where I can, though most of my skills are in Visual Basic and Ingres and Oracle. I can create HTML pages.

I have saved so much money using the schematics downloaded from IPDB that I can help with some money.

Jay has done a wonderful job with IPDB. But we all have the right to move on to something else. Is the IPDB Website a non-profit? Could it be made a non-profit?

Whatever happens in the future, please know, Jay, that I would be completely lost without IPDB and want to publicly Thank You! for all of the work you have done to help make my pinball restorations and Pecos Pinball successful.

#13 5 months ago

I closed the poll as per request. Actually I wanted to remove one option at that request but it didn’t allow it.

#14 5 months ago

Sorry Jay. No good deed goes unpunished.

#15 5 months ago

I don't use them all the time, but enough to where it's a valuable resource for me. Funny how you take this stuff for granted, Just donated $20 bucks. Guess I should do the same for pinside.

#16 5 months ago

I just donated now too.

#17 5 months ago

I use IPDB just about every day. Thank you Jay. I've donated in the past. I'll be glad to donate again!

#18 5 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It seems like some people would donate, but I guess we don't really know what exactly the current maintainer needs? I assume it's not server costs since it's still running? Do they just need someone to cover processing all the submitted updates? Help coding stuff?

what he said.

#19 5 months ago

Reports of my disinterest in pinball have been premature and ill-advised! I am not "over it"!!

I am still around, healthy, energetic, and quite willing to get back to updating the site once the Submission Tool issue has been resolved. This idea about seeking others to take over the IPDB is a complete fabrication from Peter and I am dismayed that it could begin a rumor so I asked dmacy to remove that portion of his Poll. However, to do this, the entire poll had to be scrapped. Dmacy is a good man and I told him I understood that he was only going by what Peter has written on the other thread in his most recent post there. However, Peter went rogue and none of what he said in his post came from me.

Thank you for the kind words here and for the recent donations. You are great folks. There is nothing you can do to fix our current issue so that is why you don't know what to do, because I never came to you for help!

Details are in a post I made today in that other thread.

Thank you!

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Reports of my disinterest in pinball have been premature and ill-advised! I am not "over it"!!
    I am still around, healthy, energetic, and quite willing to get back to updating the site once the Submission Tool issue has been resolved. This idea about wanting others to take over the IPDB is a complete fabrication from Peter and I am dismayed that it could begin a rumor so I asked dmacy to remove that portion of his Poll. However, to do this, the entire poll had to be scrapped. Dmacy is a good man and I told him I understood that he was only going by what Peter has written on the other thread in his most recent post there. However, Peter went rogue and none of what he said in his post came from me.
    Thank you for the kind words here and for the recent donations. You are great folks. There is nothing you can do to fix our current issue so that is why you don't know what to do, because I never came to you for help!
    Details are in a post I made today in that other thread.
    Thank you!

Thanks for all the work you put into this. Too many rumor starters in this hobby. I have a Grand Lizard prototype that I would like to send you pics of when. you are ready.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.95
    € 3.70
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 1,000.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside