Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kevmad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IPDB Changelog (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

In fact, I reactivated this post because like many contributors, I have several documents waiting that I would like to see on IPDB.
    The question I ask myself, and I must not be the only one:

➽ Should we continue to wait for the update system to be operational again?
    ➽ Or is it better to send the updates directly by mail?

☛In the first case, by dint of waiting, we may end up forgetting and finally never send the information.
    ☛In the second case, we risk saturating those who take care of it by flooding them with mail. We know that it is a very time-consuming job, and we may fear that some mailings will be lost or forgotten.

What is the least worse (or better) solution?

2 months later
    #52 4 years ago

IPDB appears to be adding new games and photos and other info to the database again.
    278 new or revised entries for October 2019 so far
    thanks Jay

woo hoo
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

IPDB appears to be adding new games and photos and other info to the database again.

Yes, it's nice to see that IPDB is still alive.
    I have recently been in contact with Jay to add new models of Manilamatic boards in the list (SYSTEM-80 combi board, with integrated CPU and driver). It should be put in place soon, maybe next month.

#54 4 years ago

Hi,

I am happy to report that our long-standing problem with updating the site got resolved right before the recent Chicago Pinball Expo. Then I got back from Expo and got to work. I waited to post this announcement because I wanted to make sure things were copacetic with the Submission Tool. The [Submit Changes] link has re-appeared in each IPDB listing to use to activate the Tool. I see a few folks have already discovered this as new submissions are again coming in. For those folks whom I told to email stuff directly to me during our Tool disorder, please return to using the [Submit Changes] link to send your images and text changes to us.

For those who hate long-winded posts, the above is the news, but here are further details for those who may be interested:

To catch up on backlog and in view of emailed questions received, I decided to prioritize adding the new games missing from last year and this year and as of moments ago I think I am there or almost there. That was the other reason for holding off on this message you are reading, I wanted to have something good to offer you. Here are the Stern games that I've added in the last several days, everything on this list after LUCI:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=303&yr=2018-2019&qh=checked&ng=checked&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

For Jersey Jack Pinball, I already was current through Dialed In! except for the Collector's Edition which is now there. I have emailed JJP to get info on the new Willy Wonka game.

I know I've been behind on Spooky Pinball games even before the Tool went down as our communication has not been consistent. However, at Expo, folks told me that Kayte is the one to email and lo and behold I see her email address is on their site which I had not visited in a while to have seen it. So, I am reaching out to her to hopefully get the ball rolling there. I am sure they are very busy. Also, TNA rocks!

I have emailed Chicago Gaming Company to get final info so I can add the Monster Bash Remakes. Not sure of that would make me current with them or what.

Next, I'll add images for the above new games that were emailed to me by game owners. Interspersed will be all other games. If you are reading this and wonder when your submission/email will get done, I've always encouraged our users to email me if ever you get antsy about not hearing back from me on something you've submitted (or emailed) so even during this time of triage please feel free to drop me a line and I'll pull yours out of the stack to work it. You are not bothering me to send me a nudge! I'd rather hear from you than to later read on pinside/RGP that you were unhappy with the IPDB. Or, is it too late on that?

Anyway, I am very happy to bring you this good news and am pumped to get back at it! Uh oh, it's 4am, time flies when I'm having fun. Goodnight!

Jay

IPDB Changelog (resized).JPGIPDB Changelog (resized).JPG
    #55 4 years ago

YAYYY!!! ❤ IPDB

#56 4 years ago

Thanks for the update about the updates, Jay.

This has been asked before, but is there any way to update the older images to higher resolution? Constraints on files sizes and storage are different than they were 10+ years ago and many of the older images are woefully small and lack detail. Do higher resolution copies of the old photos exist, and could the existing images be updated with the higher resolution images? Or would people have to submit new higher resolution photos? Finally, is it even on the radar to update old images to higher resolution? I now that would be a lot of work, and if it isn't something you want to embark on, I understand.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

but is there any way to update the older images to higher resolution?

Thinking about this from a database administration point of view, I would say that the old images should stay up due to the potential continued usage of links pointing directly to those images. The old image could be embedded somewhere that is depending on a specific pixel count. Plus, we should continue to recognize the contributions of the late Russ Jensen and other pioneers. Therefore, the best practice is to supplement the old ones with newer higher-resolution images.

I know that I like having the choice among multiple playfield pictures for many games.
    .................David Marston

#58 4 years ago

Thanks for your work David, ipdb is great

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Thinking about this from a database administration point of view, I would say that the old images should stay up due to the potential continued usage of links pointing directly to those images. The old image could be embedded somewhere that is depending on a specific pixel count.

A redirect to the game page is better. An embedded image uses IPDB's bandwidth but has no opportunity to generate revenue for IPDB should they ever wish to use an advertising model to defray hosting costs.

Hosting your own copy of the image means you use your own bandwidth instead of increasing the cost to IPDB.

#60 4 years ago

Great news!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Thanks for the update about the updates, Jay.
    This has been asked before, but is there any way to update the older images to higher resolution? Constraints on files sizes and storage are different than they were 10+ years ago and many of the older images are woefully small and lack detail. Do higher resolution copies of the old photos exist, and could the existing images be updated with the higher resolution images? Or would people have to submit new higher resolution photos? Finally, is it even on the radar to update old images to higher resolution? I now that would be a lot of work, and if it isn't something you want to embark on, I understand.

Higher resolution copies of the old photos do not exist on the IPDB although the original photographers may have them. To the extent I can influence that, I may try. When I get permission from a Craigslist seller, I often ask the seller to email me with his/her larger original versions, as I know that CL has a size limit in their ads. The CL sellers are pretty cool about that. Some ebay sellers still show small images that don't enlarge when you click on them but can send me larger ones upon my request, or some sellers volunteer to do this.

People who use our Submission Tool of course send only the resolution they send but, if they included an email address, I've emailed them to ask for more/better pics. Just depends. Especially in the case of cell phone pictures. Whenever I can, I always ask folks to use a regular digital camera, if available, instead of a cell phone camera because quality is not consistent and nobody uses flash with their cell phone therefore some sharpness of focus is lost. So their pictures are too often dark and grainy and either pixelate when enlarged or wash out when lightened. Plus, many cell phone images look "flat" to my eye so I assume it will look flat to our users. I will say, however, that a few iphones have surprised me with their quality. I am no cell phone camera expert, though, and unless I ask, I never know what brand of cell phone is being used to offer you here any useful feedback on brands. I am aware that many folks chance upon games while they are out and about such as a flea market or garage sale or even on vacation and all they have on them is their cell phone. So of course we are appreciative that they thought of us and there ain't no way I am saying anything to them except Thank You, although I may ask them if they can return to get more pictures!

We inherited all of Russ Jensen's images from the Pinball Pasture (who?) which helps show you how far back Russ was helping the cause. The capabilities of older cameras were also a factor in the size of the images that we received. Early on, I started deleting Russ' images as too small but I started to feel like I was deleting Russ himself. I knew him and I just can't do it. Later, when modding caught fire, I saw in Russ' many pictures a pre-mod authenticity so I keep them around on the idea that games in his images are much less likely to have been modded or restored than the same games would be today, those games today having aged that much more, coupled with our hobby's hands-on restoration energy that did not exist back then.

Our Submission Tool can accept images up to 10MB each although most folks anymore seem to send them in at between 2-5 MB each. There is a reduction performed on the largest images prior to placing them on the IPDB but I don't know the formula used (Wolf knows) and I'm pretty sure we do not save the un-reduced versions stored anywhere. Certainly not accessible to me.

Incidentally, the link of new Stern games I referenced above represent 534 pictures, all from Stern. About 95% of them downloaded from their dropbox sized from 15MB to 30MB so I had to manually reduce each image using Photoshop to resave them to be under 10MB because I use the same Submission Tool as our users, with its 10MB image max and where each Submission group of images cannot exceed 60MB total. (Hence, the time it took to reduce and add the pictures.) If you look at any of these images as they now appear on the IPDB, you may like how well they turned out in terms of clarity, depending on your monitor or device. Example:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=6575&picno=73021

For right now, I think that is the best we can get, and of course the focus depends on the camera and photographer.

All we can hope is that our users continue to submit their (hi-res) pictures of unmodded games to exist alongside our existing pictures. (Retrofitting older games with non-factory LED/RGB illumination is also "modding" but you can turn the game off before photographing for us.) I like to have at least two examples of each game so that is another reason why I might not delete smaller images if that is all we have. For this reason, users should feel free to submit images that to them might seem like duplicates of what we already have, in addition to sending views that we lack. When a guy buys a used game and wants to figure out what it is missing or why a certain doohickey is there, hopefully he can see multiple examples of his game on the IPDB to decide what to believe.

Thank you.

P.S. In response to a different post, we ask that you link to our images using URLs and not copy/paste them from our site to elsewhere. They are copyrighted by the original photographers but we do what we can to help them on this point. If copyright holders ever see their IPDB images somewhere accompanied by the words "Courtesy of the IPDB", please know we were not asked and did not give permission which is not ours to give anyway.

#62 4 years ago

IPDB is a huge asset to the hobby. Thank you for everything you do.

Just donated!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ipdb-down/page/2?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.