Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kevmad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IPDB Changelog (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by I_P_D_B (6 years ago)

Post #54 Submissions have returned Posted by I_P_D_B (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hello friends,

Starting April 8, the IPDB has been down, almost continuously, due to unexpected hardware problems. This could last for several days.

It will likely be completely down until the new system is up. If anyone finds it up, we don't know how long it will be up and it could disappear at any time. It crashes regularly, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after it has restarted.

Because we receive emails every day from our users, I am concerned that any emails sent to me/us on April 8 (and later) may have become irretrievable by us and the sender would never know and neither would we. Wolf says your emails to us bounce to let you know we did not receive them. If no bounce message, then during moments of uptime and if I am online then I should see the emails that arrived and may be able to hurriedly email you a reply before the site goes down.

If you have submitted images and information to us since April 8 via our online Submission Tool, it should still be there for us to see once things stabilize. You can always verify this by clicking on our [Settings] link to view a list of all of your unprocessed submissions in the right-side column of the Settings page, but, as always, it will list only the submissions where you have included your email address in the box provided for it, in the submission.

Wolf and I apologize for this problem and he wants you to know that he is trying to get the site up asap.

I will post here again when the problem is deemed as fixed.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB

#2 6 years ago

Thanks Jay. I use IPDB almost as much as Google! It is the backbone of the entire hobby... let us know if you guys need any help/funding/etc. We owe it to ya!

(edit: of course you do, there is no “if”... money sent!)

#3 6 years ago

That sucks Jay! If you guys need any help or if Pinside could somehow host a temporary/cached copy for a while, let me know!

I will sticky this topic, so everyone knowns the status and, more importantly, that you're working on a solution.

#5 6 years ago

I never realized how much I rely on IPDB until it’s down.

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource, Jay.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for all of your efforts! I long ago lost track of how often I reference the IPDB for all kinds of information. It's a great resource!

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Thanks for all of your efforts! I long ago lost track of how often I reference the IPDB for all kinds of information. It's a great resource!

Thanks so much for all the help over the years Jay! I can't even remember the amount of times I've been saved by downloading a manual I didn't have and all the awesome pics that people submit.

#8 6 years ago

PM me if you need a server instance or bandwidth, though my guess is these are not your problems.

#9 6 years ago

Jay and Wolf,

Thanks for the notice! Much luck with the stabilization.

Another appreciative user,
    -Ryan

#10 6 years ago

something to get on one of the cloud providers for sure...

Neil.

#11 6 years ago

Just donated to ipdb. Hope it helps.

Thank you Jay for this amazing resource that I use every single day! Keep it going!!!!!

I urge everyone else who uses ipdb to donate as well by clicking on the link at the bottom of the ipdb home page. Don't take these amazing resources for granted.

#12 6 years ago

If you guys need a resource to help you spin up something cheap in Azure, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

#13 6 years ago

I have totally taken IPDB for granted, referencing it somewhere between daily and weekly. Such a great site, my donation is on the way.
    THANK YOU

#14 6 years ago

I will be donating as well! Love this site!!

#15 6 years ago

That's why I can't download manuals anymore? I sure hope it's a temporary glitch....

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

That's why I can't download manuals anymore? I sure hope it's a temporary glitch....

Just be thankful you could've downloaded manuals for free all these years, sheesh!

Thanks again Jay for keeping IPDB going for all this time, best resource on the net for pinball related questions for me when working on games to quickly double check the MPU or weird quircks etc. Seconded here if you need any donations let us know we are happy to help as well!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

if you need any donations let us know we are happy to help as well!

Just do eeet!

Money enroute... thx Jay & Chris!

#18 6 years ago

thankfully ipdb seems fairly stable this AM

#19 6 years ago

IPDB is a love of a few, DD and Jayman. We can only hope they get reliable hardware in place (something that is not 10+ years old) and keep it running with ease (Linux maybe). God bless your efforts, IPDB does a great job of commanding for those that need some commanding.

#20 6 years ago

To be honest I had no idea IPDB had a donation mechanism/model. Thanks robin for sticking this thread and team Pinside for pointing out what is only subtly listed on the lower corner of the website.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my new replacement Skee Score Displays for Model H & S Skee Ball

#21 6 years ago

Looks like IPDB is still not at 100%. Banner says submissions are disabled, check back in a few days.

#22 6 years ago

Donation sent! I also had no idea that IPDB accepts donations. IPDB is my first stop whenever I am curious about a playfield layout or if I need a manual. Thanks for the good work you do and thanks for keeping IPDB free of popups and other web-junk!

#23 6 years ago

Yes! So glad it’s back up.

#24 6 years ago

Yep using it again to look at schematics for F-14 to see which transistors run the upper left flipper. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!

#25 5 years ago

Hi again,

I told you I would get back to you.

I spoke with Wolf tonight. Our website is now fully transferred over to the new server at Pair Networks, which is a highly reliable service, so we should not experience any more downtime, now or ever. Prior to our local server failure, only our images had been on Pair, for about six years, but now everything is.

What is still inoperative is our online Submission Tool to allow you to submit images and text to us. Therefore, you may notice that the link [Submit Changes] is missing from each listing. I cannot process any submissions in queue for now. When this feature is fully tested and ready, we will turn it on and I will post here again to advise you of this. We look for another two weeks out on that.

Transferring my IPDB email account from old server to new server has been its own task with a lower priority, so that is why no one who was in communication with me when our server failed has heard from me via email since then. This transfer is going on as I write this. Almost all of my emails are saved in our archives, so I have probably 100,000 email records to transfer. I look to be back in business in a day or two, barring unforeseen glitches, except we will have 80 degree weather tomorrow before the rains return so you still may not hear from me! Thank you for your patience if you wondered why I suddenly ghosted you. You can still email me/us during this time.

The IPDB is/was backed up on the cloud prior to server failure and we see no loss of data. We thank those of you who have contacted us to offer your hosting services and I *think* I had replied to each of you individually, but if I missed anybody I am sorry and please know we are fine and I think we knew we would be. Wolf and I thank all of you who have expressed your concern, appreciation, and support for our website. It always feels good to know you are appreciated.

I look to post here again to tell you when our Submission Tool is online and that the IPDB is 100% operational.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB

#26 5 years ago

I don't know if this is the right thread for suggestions...but here it goes anyway.

Has there been any thought about expanding the IPDB? It would be nice for a site to house a repository of teardown pics, closeups of unique parts, a general listing of unique parts or just overall general specs (leg length/design, cabinet design, etc.) of games. It seems the database is already the go-to place for people who are looking for visual information about a certain game...the usefulness of the site could be multiplied tenfold.

I know Pinside has discussed such this information on record, especially teardown pics, but I can't say that it has taken off just yet. I visit IPDB nearly daily...the potential is there to take it to the next level.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Has there been any thought about expanding the IPDB?

Bandwidth isn't free. Photos/video consume orders of magnitude more bandwidth than text.

On a related note, raffling off a pinball machine seems to work as a fundraiser even with questionable usage of the money raised. It could probably also work for IPDB.

3 months later
    #28 5 years ago

I've just received an email from Jay.
    He says the [submit changes] link will still stay down for now.
    There are tests to be done and checks if everything is working correcty.
    This is all done in people's own time, not getting payed for it.
    Daytime jobs will consume time from the testers.
    Please be patient......

Peter

3 months later
    #29 5 years ago

I_P_D_B Jay, can you please post an update here?
    It's been a very long time now...

3 months later
    #30 5 years ago

Crickets.

#31 5 years ago

A submission I did many years ago, got deleted.

#32 5 years ago

Any updates at all?

#33 5 years ago

I email Jay occasionally with interesting photos or info that I stumble upon on the forums, and he responds to those emails, but the IPDB site itself is basically frozen in time.

#34 5 years ago

Doesn't look like anything has been updated or added since January/February 2018.

2 weeks later
    #35 5 years ago

Looks like IPDB is starting to roll in with more submissions being posted again.
    78 new updated or additions for month of April 2019 so far

#36 5 years ago

Let's hope it isn't just a test....

2 months later
    #37 4 years ago

I've been corresponding with Jay and he is composing a message with more information.
    Don't give up on the ipdb.
    Please hang in there.....

1 month later
    #38 4 years ago

Bump

Jay's news? Is there any hope of seeing the updates again?
    It seems that IPDB will remain permanently frozen? I hope to be wrong.

#39 4 years ago

I've had some contact with Jay a few weeks ago (july 7th).
    I told him that people are hoping that the ipdb will be up and running once again.
    People want to upload more game info and are willing to help if needed.
    Jay likes to know how many people are missing the updates and how they think they can help.
    I know there are a lot of people missing the updates, but I dare not give a number on that.

I used to check the ipdb every day to look for updates.
    Looking for instruction card images, a new schematic or manual for the collection.
    I would love to upload some new images and files.
    Now I have to keep those files on my computer and hope to remember to upload them someday.
    I fear that I will forget about them....

Maybe someone can add a poll or something like that....
    1. People that are missing the ipdb.
    2. People who are willing to help in some way.
    3. People who are willing to donate to keep the servers running.
    4. People who don't care about the ipdb.
    5. People who want to take over the ipdb.
    Just a thought....

Peter

Added over 5 years ago:

Please discard....

#40 4 years ago

I use IPDB heavily and would be happy to donate a bunch of pics of anything I have. I'll start a post and poll.

Added over 5 years ago:

Sorry Jay.

#41 4 years ago

I'm in the top 20 of image contributors to the database and I have more to add. While I'll never be number one on the list, I do take pride in helping in my own little way.
    https://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?anonymously=true&list=images&submit=No+Thanks+-+Let+me+access+anonymously

It's a lot of work that Jay does and I have great admiration for him. I'm patiently waiting also.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm in the top 20 of image contributors to the database and I have more to add. While I'll never be number one on the list, I do take pride in helping in my own little way.
    https://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?anonymously=true&list=images&submit=No+Thanks+-+Let+me+access+anonymously
    It's a lot of work that Jay does and I have great admiration for him. I'm patiently waiting also.

You got me beat by 7 Kim...BASTARD! But I'm kicking your ass in number of games...so I feel a little better.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

You got me beat by 7 Kim...BASTARD! But I'm kicking your ass in number of games...so I feel a little better.

I'm certain that Jean-Pierre Renault is nervous about both of us closing in.

#44 4 years ago

I have Jay's email somewhere. I have server space to blow, and would love to offer any help I could.

#45 4 years ago

I threw in a donation also - wonder what other help they need?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

I've had some contact with Jay a few weeks ago (july 7th).
    I told him that people are hoping that the ipdb will be up and running once again.
    People want to upload more game info and are willing to help if needed.
    Jay likes to know how many people are missing the updates and how they think they can help.
    I know there are a lot of people missing the updates, but I dare not give a number on that.
    I used to check the ipdb every day to look for updates.
    Looking for instruction card images, a new schematic or manual for the collection.
    I would love to upload some new images and files.
    Now I have to keep those files on my computer and hope to remember to upload them someday.
    I fear that I will forget about them....
    Maybe someone can add a poll or something like that....
    1. People that are missing the ipdb.
    2. People who are willing to help in some way.
    3. People who are willing to donate to keep the servers running.
    4. People who don't care about the ipdb.
    5. People who want to take over the ipdb.
    Just a thought....
    Peter

A nice man emailed me yesterday asking what help did we need with our server hardware. I told him I had no idea we needed such help and asked him how he came to think this. He directed me to the above post.

Peter, I am perplexed as to why you wrote the above post. It reads as if I had asked you to find out some information from pinside users. I have not asked you to do this. I have not asked you to do anything on my behalf, just so everyone understands. I have noted from your emails to me that you have been unusually interested in pursuing for more information than I was able to provide, and in that July email with you I had asked you to NOT post on pinside anything from our brief discussion. In our discussion, I certainly did not seek what you seek in your five numbered poll topics. You have suggested here that the IPDB lacks money to keep the servers running such that I am now being contacted about it. I've never said that to you or anyone. Most distressing to me is that you have suggested that we are seeking others to take over the IPDB. That is not true. Why would you say that? Why would you go there? I have said no such thing to you or to anyone, ever. That is one rumor no one needs to see started. I am gobsmacked here. A complete surprise. I know you are trying to be helpful but please pull back and relax. Your involvement here is misleading people if I don't step in and say something.

In that July conversation, you stated to me, "I just want to let you know that people are missing the ipdb updates."

It sounded like a possibility that you knew something that I didn't already know. Often, a person is really only speaking of him/herself when making those kind of statements but will express it as if it's a whole bunch of people. It's human, we all do that, I understand that. Intuitively, I'd say you're accurate. But, I wanted to know if you were actually referring to, for instance, a thread or discussion somewhere that I have not seen or read so that I could go read it to apprise myself of what people are saying. You replied to repeat your personal certainty to the effect that you spoke for many but you gave me as your basis only this short pinside thread you are now reading, adding that it was hard for you to say how many. Well, what you call "many" in this thread is what I call "not many" when compared to overall numbers of hobbyists. Yet, my answer was in learning that you had no other thread or discussion driving you, for me to read. That's what I had wanted to know. I figured that was the end of it and I closed the discussion by stating "I was just trying to get a sense if what you said was driven by specifics or is what you and I both have come to know about the helpfulness of the pinball community." Some of both, I concluded.

I thought you understood that I was asking you, and only you, what you meant by what you wrote in that email. I was not asking you to go ask pinside, and in my name, and promulgating things that would misrepresent! Ouch!

A nice man, dmacy, had yesterday innocently started a Poll based upon your post, titled "IPDB Needs Support" and where he gave the choice of "I'd like to take over the IPDB" which was taken from what you wrote. As that choice, under that declarative thread title, could have the effect of confirming in people's minds that this came from the IPDB, I contacted him yesterday asking to remove that choice from the Poll, figuring the rest of the Poll might be interesting and might show you, Peter, some actual data as to where the levels of interest are. As it turns out, a Poll choice cannot be individually removed, so the entire Poll was canceled at my request. (I reassured dmacy that I understood he was operating under the information he saw posted by you and that I did and do appreciate his willingness to help.)

So, in view of Peter's numbered topics, let me gently clarify for those folks reading this. In emailing with Peter in July, I did not opine about people not caring about the IPDB. I did not ask to quantify anything on pinside. I did not ask for money. The servers are fine. In fact, they are owned and maintained by Pair Networks, a highly regarded company, and we are operating fully on their servers as I had indicated earlier in this thread. Most importantly, the IPDB is not seeking to change hands. Let's kill that rumor before it starts. Please, don't anyone approach me at Expo asking about that or I will refer you to Peter. These are Peter's ideas, not mine, and I don't know from where he got them. I am here to undo the effect they are having on me.

It should be obvious, to those who noticed, that we are having an unprecedented delay in getting the site's Submission Tool back up and running but I suppose there is value in seeing me type it here after all of this time, at least for Peter. I say "to those who noticed" because, as I see it, there is no need to go out of our way to make our problem known to the majority of our users whom I believe do not even notice the Submission Tool is down or that the site is not being updated, to unnecessarily alarm them. The site itself is fine and has been fine since a year ago but just cannot be updated until some testing has completed and the delay is in that. This delay is nothing that our users can help resolve, therefore help from our users has not been sought. I'm sorry if anyone has been worried about the IPDB but everyone who has been worried enough to email me has seen a fast email response from me, each and every time. Those who have emailed me asking how to submit items without the Submission Tool were told what to do. The motivated people contact me. I cannot see how scaring all of the unaware people and indifferent people has value. In addition, I still want people to notify me of great pictures they see on ebay and Craigslist so I can add them to the site once the Tool is back up and so I don't want to sabotage that by promulgating anything that might make them stop doing it.

Also, please know I do not hang out on pinside so for those in this thread who had posted questions of me that have gone unanswered or who had bumped the thread, I was not here to see that and was not ignoring you.

A sincere thank you to everyone who has recently donated to our site. We have always operated on donations and Wolf has never been one to proactively seek them, preferring instead to quietly show a link in the lower left corner of our webpages for those who would notice. Wolf is humble and would not want me to say that we are in the hole as far as donations versus overall costs taken in the aggregate but I think that's pretty much always been the case across the seventeen years and is not tied to the Submission Tool delay. Again, thank you for your kind donations. I also thank those who have expressed their appreciation for the IPDB on pinside, on RGP, and in your emails to me.

#47 4 years ago

This I_P_D_B feller sounds like a reasonable guy - the kind of guy who might've bought a pinball table or two in Wyoming back in the day. Why don't we just put a little slack in our ropes and give him room to solve his problems his own way?

#48 4 years ago

I was never worried.
    Just missing the updates,
    especially newly found European pins.
    cheers
    Rock on

#49 4 years ago

I use IPDB all the time. All. The. Time.

Most of the non-profit/independent/entertainment/grassroots political worlds are shifting to Patreon-style automatic monthly micropayments from their supporters. I would suggest and participate in this type of program, were IPDB to implement it.

Keeping IPDB on a continuous financial trickle-charge would ensure you guys aren't ever in the hole... and really shouldn't be considering the significance of what IPDB provides to the entire pinball community.

#50 4 years ago

Sorry.....
    All this was never my intention.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ipdb-down/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.