1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Inkochnito
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello friends,

Starting April 8, the IPDB has been down, almost continuously, due to unexpected hardware problems. This could last for several days.

It will likely be completely down until the new system is up. If anyone finds it up, we don't know how long it will be up and it could disappear at any time. It crashes regularly, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after it has restarted.

Because we receive emails every day from our users, I am concerned that any emails sent to me/us on April 8 (and later) may have become irretrievable by us and the sender would never know and neither would we. Wolf says your emails to us bounce to let you know we did not receive them. If no bounce message, then during moments of uptime and if I am online then I should see the emails that arrived and may be able to hurriedly email you a reply before the site goes down.

If you have submitted images and information to us since April 8 via our online Submission Tool, it should still be there for us to see once things stabilize. You can always verify this by clicking on our [Settings] link to view a list of all of your unprocessed submissions in the right-side column of the Settings page, but, as always, it will list only the submissions where you have included your email address in the box provided for it, in the submission.

Wolf and I apologize for this problem and he wants you to know that he is trying to get the site up asap.

I will post here again when the problem is deemed as fixed.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB

#2 1 year ago

Thanks Jay. I use IPDB almost as much as Google! It is the backbone of the entire hobby... let us know if you guys need any help/funding/etc. We owe it to ya!

(edit: of course you do, there is no “if”... money sent!)

#3 1 year ago

That sucks Jay! If you guys need any help or if Pinside could somehow host a temporary/cached copy for a while, let me know!

I will sticky this topic, so everyone knowns the status and, more importantly, that you're working on a solution.

#5 1 year ago

I never realized how much I rely on IPDB until it’s down.

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource, Jay.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for all of your efforts! I long ago lost track of how often I reference the IPDB for all kinds of information. It's a great resource!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Thanks for all of your efforts! I long ago lost track of how often I reference the IPDB for all kinds of information. It's a great resource!

Thanks so much for all the help over the years Jay! I can't even remember the amount of times I've been saved by downloading a manual I didn't have and all the awesome pics that people submit.

#8 1 year ago

PM me if you need a server instance or bandwidth, though my guess is these are not your problems.

#9 1 year ago

Jay and Wolf,

Thanks for the notice! Much luck with the stabilization.

Another appreciative user,
    -Ryan

#10 1 year ago

something to get on one of the cloud providers for sure...

Neil.

#11 1 year ago

Just donated to ipdb. Hope it helps.

Thank you Jay for this amazing resource that I use every single day! Keep it going!!!!!

I urge everyone else who uses ipdb to donate as well by clicking on the link at the bottom of the ipdb home page. Don't take these amazing resources for granted.

#12 1 year ago

If you guys need a resource to help you spin up something cheap in Azure, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

#13 1 year ago

I have totally taken IPDB for granted, referencing it somewhere between daily and weekly. Such a great site, my donation is on the way.
    THANK YOU

#14 1 year ago

I will be donating as well! Love this site!!

#15 1 year ago

That's why I can't download manuals anymore? I sure hope it's a temporary glitch....

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

That's why I can't download manuals anymore? I sure hope it's a temporary glitch....

Just be thankful you could've downloaded manuals for free all these years, sheesh!

Thanks again Jay for keeping IPDB going for all this time, best resource on the net for pinball related questions for me when working on games to quickly double check the MPU or weird quircks etc. Seconded here if you need any donations let us know we are happy to help as well!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

if you need any donations let us know we are happy to help as well!

Just do eeet!

Money enroute... thx Jay & Chris!

#18 1 year ago

thankfully ipdb seems fairly stable this AM

#19 1 year ago

IPDB is a love of a few, DD and Jayman. We can only hope they get reliable hardware in place (something that is not 10+ years old) and keep it running with ease (Linux maybe). God bless your efforts, IPDB does a great job of commanding for those that need some commanding.

#20 1 year ago

To be honest I had no idea IPDB had a donation mechanism/model. Thanks robin for sticking this thread and team Pinside for pointing out what is only subtly listed on the lower corner of the website.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my new replacement Skee Score Displays for Model H & S Skee Ball

#21 1 year ago

Looks like IPDB is still not at 100%. Banner says submissions are disabled, check back in a few days.

#22 1 year ago

Donation sent! I also had no idea that IPDB accepts donations. IPDB is my first stop whenever I am curious about a playfield layout or if I need a manual. Thanks for the good work you do and thanks for keeping IPDB free of popups and other web-junk!

#23 1 year ago

Yes! So glad it’s back up.

#24 1 year ago

Yep using it again to look at schematics for F-14 to see which transistors run the upper left flipper. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!

#25 12 months ago

Hi again,

I told you I would get back to you.

I spoke with Wolf tonight. Our website is now fully transferred over to the new server at Pair Networks, which is a highly reliable service, so we should not experience any more downtime, now or ever. Prior to our local server failure, only our images had been on Pair, for about six years, but now everything is.

What is still inoperative is our online Submission Tool to allow you to submit images and text to us. Therefore, you may notice that the link [Submit Changes] is missing from each listing. I cannot process any submissions in queue for now. When this feature is fully tested and ready, we will turn it on and I will post here again to advise you of this. We look for another two weeks out on that.

Transferring my IPDB email account from old server to new server has been its own task with a lower priority, so that is why no one who was in communication with me when our server failed has heard from me via email since then. This transfer is going on as I write this. Almost all of my emails are saved in our archives, so I have probably 100,000 email records to transfer. I look to be back in business in a day or two, barring unforeseen glitches, except we will have 80 degree weather tomorrow before the rains return so you still may not hear from me! Thank you for your patience if you wondered why I suddenly ghosted you. You can still email me/us during this time.

The IPDB is/was backed up on the cloud prior to server failure and we see no loss of data. We thank those of you who have contacted us to offer your hosting services and I *think* I had replied to each of you individually, but if I missed anybody I am sorry and please know we are fine and I think we knew we would be. Wolf and I thank all of you who have expressed your concern, appreciation, and support for our website. It always feels good to know you are appreciated.

I look to post here again to tell you when our Submission Tool is online and that the IPDB is 100% operational.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB

#26 12 months ago

I don't know if this is the right thread for suggestions...but here it goes anyway.

Has there been any thought about expanding the IPDB? It would be nice for a site to house a repository of teardown pics, closeups of unique parts, a general listing of unique parts or just overall general specs (leg length/design, cabinet design, etc.) of games. It seems the database is already the go-to place for people who are looking for visual information about a certain game...the usefulness of the site could be multiplied tenfold.

I know Pinside has discussed such this information on record, especially teardown pics, but I can't say that it has taken off just yet. I visit IPDB nearly daily...the potential is there to take it to the next level.

#27 12 months ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Has there been any thought about expanding the IPDB?

Bandwidth isn't free. Photos/video consume orders of magnitude more bandwidth than text.

On a related note, raffling off a pinball machine seems to work as a fundraiser even with questionable usage of the money raised. It could probably also work for IPDB.

3 months later
    #28 8 months ago

I've just received an email from Jay.
    He says the [submit changes] link will still stay down for now.
    There are tests to be done and checks if everything is working correcty.
    This is all done in people's own time, not getting payed for it.
    Daytime jobs will consume time from the testers.
    Please be patient......

Peter

3 months later
    #29 4 months ago

I_P_D_B Jay, can you please post an update here?
    It's been a very long time now...

3 months later
    #31 25 days ago

A submission I did many years ago, got deleted.

#32 24 days ago

Any updates at all?

#33 24 days ago

I email Jay occasionally with interesting photos or info that I stumble upon on the forums, and he responds to those emails, but the IPDB site itself is basically frozen in time.

#34 24 days ago

Doesn't look like anything has been updated or added since January/February 2018.

2 weeks later
    #35 4 days ago

Looks like IPDB is starting to roll in with more submissions being posted again.
    78 new updated or additions for month of April 2019 so far

#36 3 days ago

Let's hope it isn't just a test....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside