(Topic ID: 89584)

iPad a must for shopping out your machine?

By dluth

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dell-dude.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Been doing my first ever proper clean of my IJ. Stripping everything off the playfield and disconnecting everything was scary, but I took millions of photos with my iPad. Now I am putting everything back, and even though I am following Garrett Lee's fantastic guide (that man deserves a medal from Indiana Jones owners), there are definitely times when you would wonder 'what's that screw for' or 'what's that random piece of metal - never seen it before in my life'. It's just a simple matter of flicking through the iPad sitting on the bench and the mysteries are solved. Then there's the ability to flick back to Garrett's guide or the manual. Overall I would say I couldn't live without it for any future jobs like this!

#2 9 years ago

Any tablet, or for the most part phones too, work as well. I like using a windows tablet or laptop so I can have my romburner and any software I may need.

#3 9 years ago

i have my laptop handy

#4 9 years ago

Yep I use my iPad too. Easy to take photos and see them large enough to refer back to. Just wish it had a flash but I keep a work light handy so it's not a deal breaker.

I also like to keep PDFs of the game manuals on it for quick reference too.

#5 9 years ago

I use an old "Dell Ruggedized" laptop with the rubber corners that I stole from work.

It's not going to run any of the latest games, and the battery will only last 15 minutes if I unplug, but it's got a Solid State Harddrive so hi-rez pics come up instantly.

It's fallen a few times and keeps on working - that thing is bomb proof.

dell-dude.jpegdell-dude.jpeg
#6 9 years ago

I hate taking photos with an iPad, too awkward. I just use my iPhone, and then pull them up on my iPad later off the cloud. It's pretty damn handy though, no question, we're pretty spoiled now.

#7 9 years ago

I use my Note 2. No need for a tablet. It does upload directly to dropbox and the pictures show up on my laptop too. I rarely use the laptop anymore either.

#8 9 years ago

I have a desktop PC above my workbench, cabled to a 25 inch flat panel. I put a wireless SD card in one of my DSLRs, and shoot pics with it. They automatically upload to whatever PC I have it configured for at the time, or the internet. Works great for me!

The desktop PC is about 5 year old technology, but I can load multiple big PDFs, surf the web, whatever I need.

#9 9 years ago

McCune has one of the coolest setups that I've ever seen in terms of his computer monitor in his shop that he can look at while the PF is on the rotisserie etc.

#10 9 years ago

I got a mini for swaps. Smaller and easier to manage. Only downside is no flash. I bought a pipe clamp ipad holder that articulates and mounted it to my black pipe rotisserie. Plop my mini in there and its hands free and inches from the rotisserie.

#11 9 years ago

I take tons of photos of whatever I am working on from several angles at every step with my iPhone and use my iPad to find what I need later when I am putting it back together and get to wondering about something. One recent project was reassembling a playfield that was taken apart three years ago and found that I needed some very hard to find parts. Without the 160 photos I would have never gotten it back together exactly how it came apart...

-- Shawn

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,419.00
14,000 (OBO)
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ipad-a-must-for-shopping-out-your-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.