11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

There was some discussion about patents in other threads, and it brought up an interesting thought.

Do Stern/JJP have any IP generation teams, outside of the regular design and engineering teams? I would have thought that having a dedicated IP team that could generate some patentable tech for them would be a given, but apparently not?

Thoughts?

PS: Disclaimer, IP gen is a big part of my job, so it's a partially self serving question.

#2 11 years ago

Most IP in pinball, if we're talking patents here, is really worthless. None of the patents that were ever filed were truly successful in the sense of locking the competition out of "better" technology. I only consider the P2K patents to be the most truly successful pinball patents filed.

I think what it boils down to is that there is never going to be any one patent (besides perhaps P2K - see above) that a company can file that will make any particular game "more fun" than another.

And that's what pinball boils down to. Fun. A patented backbox latch has no more "fun" value than another. A patented RGB GI lighting system (JJP) isn't going to make WOZ more "fun". Makes it look cooler, but not more fun. And it doesn't prevent another company from putting out a game that's equally (if not more) fun and successful.

Gomez admitted that even after all these years, there is no formula for "fun". It's still trial and error. Ultimately it's how fun a game is that keeps these guys in business. Fun = sales. Not their patent portfolio.

Just my take on it.

Tony

#3 11 years ago

Good thoughts Tony.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ip-generation-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.