pitt15.jpg
pitt13.jpg
pitt12.jpg
pitt10.jpg
pitt11.jpg
pitt9.jpg
pitt6.jpg
#1 9 years ago

PinballSTAR is proud to announce we will be donating our 2nd Wizard of Oz NIB game to The Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh on Wed 8/13 (the day before PAPA starts).

We are putting out an invite to anyone local in Pittsburgh in the pinball community to come out and join us in the afternoon to help interact with the kids and hospital staff, help explain pinball and the WOZ game with them, play with them, etc... If you are local to Pittsburgh come out, if you are coming to town for PAPA, come out... We don't need a big crowd, but it would be great to get some pinball folks in addition to us to have a nice showing for the pinball community in general.

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
One Children's Hospital Drive
4401 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224

The folks at PAPA have supported our charity effort with allowing us to run a WPPR points tournament at the World Championships in August of 2013. We raised $ 2,000 just at that event and felt that it was appropriate to recognize PAPA's contribution to our effort by making our 2nd game donation to the children's hospital in their community. I would like to thank them for thier kind support for our cause. They do many of their own charitable things themselves so inviting us in to do our thing was very generous of them.

Our first donation of a WOZ game was to St. Christopher's Children's Hospital in Philadelphia in December 2013. You can see info on it here :
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/wozdonation.html
and
http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news/1066736/Therapy-in-play

Please contact me at [email protected] if you'd like to attend and I can get you all the info ! I know it's a work day and all - but it will be a fun day to share pinball with the kids.

Donations for this project are also gladly accepted to paypal at [email protected] or funds are raised through game purchases.
We are distributors for :
Jersey Jack Pinball - Wizard of Oz and The Hobbit
Planetary Pinball - Medieval Madness Remake
Spooky Pinball - America's Most Haunted and Pinball Zombies From Beyond The Grave
Virtuapin

Our PinballSTAR and WOZ Tshirts and signed WOZ posters and flyers are for sale on Ebay with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity fund :
ebay.com link: pinballstar

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
570-357-0042
Facebook keyword - PinballSTAR Amusements

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BACKGROUND INFO :
My son, after his birth in 1994 was at St. Christophers Children's Hospital in Philadelphia for about 2 weeks. He has been back for several surgeries and many many doctor visits and continues to be seen by doctors at St. Christophers. While there at the hospital many times we have taken notice of the play rooms available for the children that are patients (and their siblings as well). It was nice they have access to video games, books, puzzles, board games, and such to pass the time and take their mind of their medical issues. Having a home collection of pinball and arcade machines as a hobby I had always thought it would be great to have those same full size games at the hospital for the kids that we had at our home. When we started our company, PinballSTAR Amusements, and the first game we were selling was The Wizard of Oz Pinball Machine it made perfect sense with that children's themed machine to now get those games into children's hospitals like I had always thought about. We set up a charity fund where with every sale we made of a game we took a portion of our proceeds and donated them to the children's hospital charity fund towards purchasing these machines to donate. We have also made up posters and tshirts and sell them with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity fund. Also we have run pinball tournaments on the Wizard of Oz machine at shows we attend throughout the country, again with all proceeds going to the charity fund. The machines cost $ 8,000 and it took a one year for us to raise the amount needed to donate our first machine to St. Christophers Hospital in Philadelphia in December 2013. PinballSTAR Amusements has already purchased a number of additional machines to continue to donate Wizard of Oz pinball machines to other children's hospitals as we continue to raise funds through our future sales and other activities. Jersey Jack Pinball, manufacturers of the Wizard of Oz pinball machine has graciously sold these to PinballSTAR at a reduced cost to allow us to donate this machine quicker than we otherwise would have been able to. Jack Guarnieri, owner of Jersey Jack Pinball has also several times donated prizes for our charity tournaments.

#2 9 years ago

Email sent. I LOVE that you're doing this!

#3 9 years ago

Glad to hear this, you guys are doing something really nice.

#4 9 years ago

Joe excellent to see you doing this! For those not familiar with the area Childrens Hospital is only 10 miles from PAPA.

BTW Joe what keeps you from buying another machine to reach 100???

#5 9 years ago

Bump : )
Anyone interested email me at [email protected]
Still trying to button down date and time for sure with hospital (red tape), but all should be ok. Assuming afternoon wed 8/13.

#6 9 years ago

Wow this is awesome. Wish I was in the area. Pittsburg is supposed to be a really great area with a lot of pinheads so people should definitely go!

#7 9 years ago

I just want everyone to know that although I know it will break everyone's heart at PAPA, I will not be participating in Pinbrawl this year. (I know, I know...everybody wanted me on their team! ) But far more important and interesting to me is this WOZ donation to the children's hospital. My wife is even pitching in (and we'll be rocking our PinballStar WOZ shirts to fit the theme of the day!). I'm really looking forward to making the drive out early from Jersey to help you out, Joe - and even more to interact with the kids and show them how they, too, can suck at WOZ like I do!

I fully expect that this will be the best day of my summer being able to hang out with some heroes of mine, and it's the least I can do to help after all Joe does for these kids. It will also serve to give me a good perspective on life when I suck so bad on Thursday that I'm tossed from the PAPA facility before the first day of qualifying is over. I'll still be able to go home happy...

I hope some others are able to join all of us in this endeavor, and I can promise you that it just may be the most meaningful thing you do all year.

#8 9 years ago

Just bought one of the WOZ shirts on ebay.

Glad to help out the kids...

And I get a killer shirt!

#9 9 years ago

This sounds like a killer event for a great cause right in my backyard. Looking forward to seeing yinz there!

#10 9 years ago

Randy (beeleboob) - great gesture to come all the way from NJ (early) to assist... thanks !

Tim (indypinhead) - thanks for the tshirt - even buying one tshirt pays for a few WOZ books or a WOZ DVD we bring to give to the kids - so thank you !

Jim - Can't wait to see you there ! TY

We are on for Wed 8/13 at 2:00 for ceremony (please plan to arrive at 1:15/1:30 so we can be ready) - those interested in attending please email me at [email protected] as it's the way I will communicate instructions for that day - where to meet - how to sign into hospital at front etc...

I will be arriving at 12 or so and will be having to unbox and set up the new WOZ, etc... so anyone attending able to come a bit earlier to assist would be greatly appreciated - I'll be alone so an extra hand or two would certainly help !

Thanks again for the kind words - I really try to make this a 'pinball community' project with those playing in tournaments, customers who buy games, those who purchase of tshirts / posters / flyers - the proceeds of all those things going towards the charity, and of course those that can attend the day of the donation to be part of it... Everyone contributes a little and it ends up being a good thing for the pinball community in others eyes.

#11 9 years ago

I just also got the below email from JJP that the game was shipped and delivered AND they aren't going to charge PinballSTAR for the shipping cost which I would never expect them to do. JJP does so much already - they sell these charity games to me at a discount, they donate prizes for the tournaments over and over, and now this nice unexpected gesture...

Thanks Jen / Jack at JJP ! Good people...
: )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Joe!

It looks like the Children’s Hospital Game was delivered yesterday.
We will cover the shipping charge this time.

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Jen Guarnieri

1 week later
#12 9 years ago

Bump for more pinball folks to come participate with us at the donation - Wed 8/13 at 2:00... we will be unboxing the game and setting up at 12 if you'd like to come earlier to help.... We only have a few coming so far so I would love if anyone else can make it and help donate the game on behalf of the pinball community and interact with the kids.

We will also have a WOZ on pay to play at PAPA Thurs - Sun as we did last year to raise money for the charity fund..

AND we will be running a WPPR points tournament also for the charity as we did last year SATURDAY 9-2 - so come play some competitive pinball on WOZ in a fun tournament with prizes and WPPR points !

#13 9 years ago

Where's the link so I can buy a shirt to support this

#14 9 years ago

He sells them on Ebay:

ebay.com link: Wizard of Oz Pinball Tshirt Jersey Jack Pinball PinballSTAR Amusements

I got 2, and I'll be at the hospital next Wednesday. Joe's a great guy, and sick kids are always a great cause!

#15 9 years ago

I just bought my shirt. Yeah people have to show up or support this cause. Just last week my baby girl fell and fractured her skull. She fell about four feet and was unconcience for quite awhile. Imagine how I felt. Now imagine I just started a job so I don't have insurance. Children's hospital take children without insurance. I'm happy to say she is doing fine and she loves pinball. We need to protect our children cause they can't protect themselves. That's why we have to help them. What's 17 buck compared to helping a child. If you can afford this hobby then you can afford a shirt.

Post edited by GizzArd: Wrote shit instead of shirt

#16 9 years ago

Thanks everyone... Last call to contact me if you'd like to attend... We do only have a few folks in the pinball community showing up - It's a workday for the local people and most people travelling to PAPA will do it on Wed and those there earlier are most likely doing Pinbrawl on Wed, and the PAPA staff is obviously busy - all which is totally cool and understandable. I was hoping the timing around PAPA would be good, but we'll still get it done and I'm happy to get this done in the Pittsburgh community where PAPA is located as a thank you for their support of PinballSTAR and our cause. We won't have a big contingent there - but the game and the hosptial staff and kids are the key components here. Thanks for the kind emails / comment / purchases of Tshirts etc... I'll be sure to post pictures of the event.

We are also running an IFPA WPPR points tournament at PAPA on Saturday 9-2. We will also have the WOZ on pay to play during the whole weekend compliments of the PAPA staff... All with 100% of proceeds going to the charity fund.

: )

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

#17 9 years ago

Once you donate the machine and all do you have someone to maintain the machine?

#18 9 years ago

Oh, my wife and I will be there, Joe - we can't wait! And hopefully nothing will go wrong Wednesday (Saturday was a nightmare), so I'll get there in one piece. And we'll be rocking your WOZ shirts so that you can identify us and we look like total matching nerds. I have nothing planned the whole afternoon, and I've got a whole box of books to bring and sign as well. See you then...I'll be in touch when I'm getting close or if I'm delayed for any reason.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Once you donate the machine and all do you have someone to maintain the machine?

Per Spooky Pinball Podcast the one in Pittsburg will be maintained by Doug from PAPA (ninjadoug). The previous machine also has a techfather that looks after it.

#20 9 years ago

meSz - yes Doug Polka from PAPA has graciously volunteered to do any required maintenance... It's always good to have a backup - if ever needed i will keep you in mind if ok - I would gladly pay for parts / service call, but most have volunteered thier time at least for the cause... I do have to set up folks to do this in each city we donate too... (Bill Disney at Pinball Gallery in Downingtown has been servicing the one at St. Christopher's in Philly)...

TY !

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, my wife and I will be there, Joe - we can't wait! And hopefully nothing will go wrong Wednesday (Saturday was a nightmare), so I'll get there in one piece. And we'll be rocking your WOZ shirts so that you can identify us and we look like total matching nerds. I have nothing planned the whole afternoon, and I've got a whole box of books to bring and sign as well. See you then...I'll be in touch when I'm getting close or if I'm delayed for any reason.

On a read-back, I think some clarification is needed: It's not your shirts that are nerdy, Joe. It's just whenever a husband and wife wear the same thing that I think is nerdy IMHO. Hope that wasn't taken the wrong way. (Although my mother-in-law was making fun of me because she thought I was saying that I was a Pinball Star. But she'll be dead soon, so who cares?)

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But she'll be dead soon, so who cares?

Ok, you made me snort and almost pee myself a little... true, but usually that's the sort of thing we 'think' but don't 'say'... lol... I can't wait to meet you on Wednesday and see how funny your wife thinks it is... lol : )~

#23 9 years ago

Oh, she thinks it's funny, alright. Her mother is universally regarded as a royal pain in the ass. And I'm just gonna keep bumping this thing in the hopes that we get some more last-second people...

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've got a whole box of books to bring and sign as well.

So what's this book you speak?? I'm interested.

#25 9 years ago

It's middle grade / young adult fiction. I've got four books. Three are out of print because they're currently out on submission with publishers. I don't toot my own horn much (and there's not much to toot about anyway!), so I keep it on the down low. Got any kids between, say, fourth and eighth grade?

#26 9 years ago

Here are some pics from our donation of the WOZ machine yesterday at the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh !

We had a great time - the hospital staff and patients that came to the ceremony were thrilled with the WOZ - the kids walked right up to it and were hooked immediately. The staff joked that many of them might get fired for playing the game during work hours. The game will be available for children at the hospital to play during their stays there to help pass the time and give them an activity to take them 'away' from the unfortunate experience of them being in the hospital. We also had WOZ tshirts, WOZ books and DVDs of the movie to give to them.

The local Pittsburgh TV station also came by to record the event for an airing on their newscast - I will post a link if / when one gets posted on their website.

I want to thank Randy and Janice Raab who drove early to PAPA from NJ to be a part of our event and assist me all afternoon. Randy is also a children's author having published several books to date. He was gracious enough to bring a supply of his books and to sign them for the kids he gave them too.

Thanks to JJP - Jen and Jack for their contributions to our efforts, PAPA for assisting us in our fund raising, Doug Polka from Pittsburgh who has offered to maintain the game if needed, and all our PinballSTAR customers as with every game purchase they make - we donate a portion of the proceeds to the charity fund !

If you are PAPA please stop by and play the WOZ which will be on pay to play and also participate in our tournament we are running for WPPR points and prizes Saturday 9-2.

Thanks !
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
57-0-357-0042
Distributors for JJP, Planetary Pinball, Spooky Pinball, and Virtuapin

pitt1.jpgpitt1.jpg pitt2.jpgpitt2.jpg pitt3.jpgpitt3.jpg pitt4.jpgpitt4.jpg pitt5.jpgpitt5.jpg pitt6.jpgpitt6.jpg pitt7.jpgpitt7.jpg pitt8.jpgpitt8.jpg pitt9.jpgpitt9.jpg pitt10.jpgpitt10.jpg pitt11.jpgpitt11.jpg pitt12.jpgpitt12.jpg pitt13.jpgpitt13.jpg pitt14.jpgpitt14.jpg pitt15.jpgpitt15.jpg pitt16.jpgpitt16.jpg pitt17.jpgpitt17.jpg pitt18.jpgpitt18.jpg pitt19.jpgpitt19.jpg pitt20.jpgpitt20.jpg pitt21.jpgpitt21.jpg pitt22.jpgpitt22.jpg pitt23.jpgpitt23.jpg
#27 9 years ago

Joe - great project. Just sent you $100 donation. Don't need any swag - just more pictures of kids smiling, playing pinball.

I spent a lot of time in hospitals as a kid, but all we ever had were wheelchair races and Popsicles

#28 9 years ago

My wife and I had a great time with you, Joe - and it was my pleasure to donate my time and the books on Wednesday. I'm home from PAPA already, having done my best in the tournament with only one day of qualifying play. I posted some great scores, but nothing consistent to hold my scores up for qualifying. We had to get home, but the highlight of our trip was watching those kids forget their troubles for a moment and play some WOZ. Sign me up for any other events you may have planned. Those kids--and you--are all my heroes. And you're my favorite to win it all in Division C! Thanks again for letting us be a part of it. (I'm just worried that the people on Pinside that aren't big fans of mine now know what I look like!)

#29 9 years ago

Wow I'm so happy everything went so good. Everyone seemed to have such a great time. That's awesome!

#30 9 years ago

Jim Hicks (JFH) thank you so much. So generous, just saw the PayPal email. That's as much as we raise in a day at PAPA with a WOZ on pay to play ! TY.

Randy, again ty to you and Janice for your time - it meant a lot to me you guys were there. And if anyone needs it I also have Randy's home address for a small fee : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 5.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/invite-pinballstars-woz-donation-to-pittsburgh-childrens-hospital-wed-813 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.