(Topic ID: 315235)

InvisiGlass Issues - 1st Run

By CUJO

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20220508_120501 (resized).jpg
    20220508_120514 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I bought what was I believe to be the first run of JJP InvisiGlass offered by Pinball Life, even before WOZECLE was starting to ship.

A lot of people did not like the fact that they could see the JJP logo in the lower right of the glass, even with the lockbar on, on their Bally/Williams games.
    JJP eventually made more but put the logo so the lockbar would cover it.

I put a widebody sheet on my ST:TNG which is kept in cool climate controlled smoke free home away from windows.
    For some reason, the glass has begun to get foggy thru the entire center.

I use a mixture of 50% Isopopyl alcohol and 50% distilled water in a mist bottle. Would dampen a microfiber cloth, then wipe the glass.

I have 3 more sheets of newer InvisiGlass on my WOZECLE, Simpsons Pinball Party & Dialed In, all which I clean the same way, no permanet fogging marks showing.

I contacted JJP by email. Rep suggested I post this to see if anyone else had similar issues with the early run of InvisiGlass.

See pics...

20220508_120501 (resized).jpg20220508_120501 (resized).jpg20220508_120514 (resized).jpg20220508_120514 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

I owned a very expensive Mitsubishi CRT monitor back in the day that had a coating that mimicked the invisiglass coating, and it did that exact thing. Ended up having to use a powder and some kind of buffing wheel in a drill to remove the entire coating. I no longer remember the name of the powder.

There is no way to fix this, you need to obtain a new piece of glass.

Honestly water on a flannel rag, and then a buff with a microfiber seem to work good. I am afraid to use any chemicals.

#3 1 year ago

I have 2 sheets of the first run invisiglass with the logo in the corner. I haven’t had any issues with either one. Mine is standard width.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

I have 2 sheets of the first run invisiglass with the logo in the corner. I haven’t had any issues with either one. Mine is standard width.

The standard body glass was in the 2nd run. The wide body glass 1st run was made for the upcoming WOZECLE's to my understanding and JJP made more to compete with the other HD Glass company at the time (name escapes me at the moment).

I got a standard body Invisiglass for TSPP a few months later from JJP direct. No issues with that one to this day.

#5 1 year ago

Honestly, it looks like it was cleaned it with regular windex numerous times. Perhaps your spouse or a maid or someone else did it.

As an aside, that first run was both widebody and standard. I bought six sheets of it when JJP sold them at a discount because of the logo drama…they were buy one get one free at the time.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Honestly, it looks like it was cleaned it with regular windex numerous times. Perhaps your spouse or a maid or someone else did it.
    As an aside, that first run was both widebody and standard. I bought six sheets of it when JJP sold them at a discount because of the logo drama…they were buy one get one free at the time.

That's when I got mine too. Got two wide body sheets with the logo drama. I wanted a standard size but I don't recall any available when I ordered. Maybe the standards had gone out of stock before I ordered... I sold the other widebody sheet I got to a pinball friend.

Nope, I am the only one that cleans the pinball glass here. OR any cleaning...

I wouldn't have posted this otherwise if someone other than me would have cleaned it with anything other than the 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water mixture and a clean microfiber cloth.

As I mentioned before, this is the only sheet of InvisiGlass that did this out of the 4 sheets I have.

#7 1 year ago

I know people have their favorites, but my 3 sheets of VooDoo glass are perfect (as well as all the others I've seen on pins). A very small "VooDoo" is discretely laser etched on the bottom right corner but covered by the lockbar.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I know people have their favorites, but my 3 sheets of VooDoo glass are perfect (as well as all the others I've seen on pins). A very small "VooDoo" is discretely laser etched on the bottom right corner but covered by the lockbar.

VooDoo is also my favorite of the current high end glass options. The product is just superb.

#9 1 year ago

I'll have to check it out. My first Google search for Voodoo Glass took me to a pipe shop in Baltimore. LOL

Voodoo glass is even less expensive. Never heard of it till your post. I see Cointaker sells it online. $269 Wide $249 Standard

I believe Stern HD is $300 a sheet for Standard body?

And JJP Invisiglass is priced the same at $300?

Hope I'm allowed to post prices here but not even sure about Stern HD and JJP's glass pricing. Might just be the list price.

#10 1 year ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Cointaker is where I've bought all of my VooDoo from and have sent several others to them. I believe Tilt Graphics and Nitro Pinball are also authorized resellers. Also, I know if you buy 2 sheets at a time from Cointaker you get a discount (standard size goes from $250 down to $235 per sheet & widebody goes from $270 down to $250 per sheet).

To me, the biggest advantage of anti-glare glass is its clarity. When cleaned (with a non-ammonia cleaner to avoid ruining it) it literally looks like you could reach down into the playfield area. While reflections are greatly reduced (bright light reflections are not completely eliminated), the clarity is what makes the playing experience with this type of glass so much better. Whenever you look at two pins side by side where one of them has standard glass, the standard glass looks hazy/foggy even though you probably didn't notice it before.

I fought putting new glass on my pins until a friend talked me into buying a sheet for my then new JP Premium. After I installed my first sheet, I knew that VooDoo was a must upgrade for my other two pins and any pin I might own in the future.

#11 1 year ago

Just a thought, but it kind of looks like it might be scraping on the cabinet as you take it in and out. Is the fogging on the top or bottom?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Just a thought, but it kind of looks like it might be scraping on the cabinet as you take it in and out. Is the fogging on the top or bottom?

John,

I think you solved it. I can barely slide a credit card in between the glass and the leading top of the front wood. If I liftup on the glass in the slides its better with more clearance but hard to maintain that when sliding the entire sheet on/off.

Seems to bind on the credit card more on the right side than the center. The center seems to have 1 credit card thickness clearance but it may drop as the glass is slid off.

I checked my Popeye gap space between glass and wood center. There is like a 2 credit card gap there. Seems like the guide rails are worn on ST:TNG.

I guess I can also put a felt strip along the top edge of the wood front to avoid any future scraping?

Great insight John....

#13 1 year ago

Jersey Jack Invisiglass pricing is:

$239 for 1 pc standard
    $229 per sheet for 2 or more sheets

$249 for 1 pc wide body
    $239 for per sheet for 2 or more sheets

Prices don’t include shipping.

Mike

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Accessories/

3 weeks later
    #14 1 year ago

just to add some info...

i received a sheet of widebody invisiglass from a WoZ, that someone had spilled a liquid on, and it ate into the coating.

this was almost a decade ago.

there were some spots, and a few permanent cloudy streaks where the liquid worked it's way down the glass, towards
    the lockdown bar/receiver area.

i used a razor blade and isopropyl alcohol to try and clean the issue. no luck.

so, as a test, i threw what i had onhand, at that glass:

*i poured gas on it, and let it sit in the sun, outside. no damage.

*in a 2nd area, i poured some brake cleaner on it, and let it sit. no damage.

*3rd zone, windex sat on it for hours, in the sun. again, zero new damage.

i also scrubbed the original cloudy area with a brillo pad and gas...i didn't even leave a scratch, but it also did not solve the cloudiness...

over time, i imagine alcohol will strip whatever they used to coat the glass in the early days.

no real rhyme or reason why, or when, or if, it will happen to any sheet of glass coated with the invisi-substance.

the only thing i did not have onhand, but wanted to see, was how that glass would act with some aircraft remover.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/invisiglass-issues-1st-run and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.