Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by loren3233
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010286.jpg
    P1010285.jpg
    P1010284.jpg
    P1010283.jpg
    147.jpg
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Has anyone ordered and received invisiglass yet? I just ordered two sheets of it as my PDI glass order was 2 sheets short of finishing my collection. I don't want to wait another 8 months for more PDI glass, so I decided to try invisiglass. The pinballsales site seems to take my order and doesn't indicate that the item is preorder or not yet in stock. So has anyone ordered and received this yet?

#2 12 years ago

E-mail them and I am sure they will give you an estimated date. It will probably be Jack's daughter Jen that will respond. I think Iceman has a sheet on order and they said about two weeks, which was probably about 10 days ago.

#3 12 years ago

From March 19th

Dear Rommy:

Thank you for your Order of (2) Sheets of Standard INVISIGLASST. Your
    invoice is attached.

This will ship out to you in approx. 2 weeks - so I will not charge your
    Credit Card until it is time to ship. Also, as far as shipping costs, this
    may change by a few dollars. If it does, I will let you know beforehand.

Thank you for your business - we appreciate it very much. I will be in touch
    within the next couple of weeks!

Sincerely,

Jen

#4 12 years ago

Ok thanks. I guess I'll wait for that email.

#5 12 years ago

Please take a few comparison pics vs pdi and post your opinion.

#6 12 years ago

I don't have any PDI. Bought my first pin in February and finally after watching all the vids of what the glass looks like had to take the leap. I will order 2 sheets of PDI later though unless I can pick some up at a show or Keller can get me some . I would like to have PDI, Invisiglass, and Phoogs all in my gameroom. I am not sure I will put it on every machine. But if you listen to Pinside it seems once someone takes the leap they go all in.

#7 12 years ago

Got the same email from Jen, I would expect it sometime this week or early next week....

I'll post reviews and pics when I get it set up!

#8 12 years ago

I know someone must have asked this...but is Invisiglass and PDI glass made sort of the same way?

#9 12 years ago

I don't know how they are made, but Jack said that Invisiglass is better and showed pictures. I am looking forward to hearing opinions from some of those that have ordered.

Also, my biggest concern is whether or not this new glass gets scratched easily. I have cats and they do not cause any problems with regular glass. I am hoping that Invisiglass is not soft on its surface like a film coating.

#10 12 years ago

18 of my 20 pins have Pdi glass. I ordered two sheets of invisiglass and will report on the comparison whenever they arrive.

#11 12 years ago

I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.

But we shall see. Get it... "see"? I crack myself up!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

LOL

#13 12 years ago

Short of being the same thickness as regular glass

Is the PDI glass thinner?

CD

#14 12 years ago

I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.

His pictures showed less glare and he said that it was better. Neither glass is perfect. We need some first hand accounts of real world application.

#15 12 years ago

PDI glass is 3/16", the same thickness as regular glass.

His pictures showed less glare and he said that it was better. Neither glass is perfect. We need some first hand accounts of real world application.

I'll have this in a couple weeks.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

RobertWinter said:I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.

Jack also said that he would be selling it for substantially less than PDI glass.

How did that work out again?

I agree with Robert though, I don't know how it could be much better than the PDI glass.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

DCFAN said:RobertWinter said:I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.

Jack also said that he would be selling it for substantially less than PDI glass.
    I agree with Robert though, I don't know how it could be much better than the PDI glass.

By them having it in stock and not having to do a 8 month preorder.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

RobT said:DCFAN said:RobertWinter said:I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.
    By them having it in stock and not having to do a 8 month preorder.

I was referring to the actual product smart ass!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

He was only able to bring it down about $30. He said it took months of work and is pretty expensive to make. Looking forward to real opinions.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

RobT said:Jack also said that he would be selling it for substantially less than PDI glass.
    He was only able to bring it down about $30. He said it took months of work and is pretty expensive to make. Looking forward to real opinions.

He didn't even get it down that much did he? Isn't it selling for $295.00 a sheet? That's only 5 bucks less than the PDI glass.

I will be getting some of the Invisiglass before too long so I can compare them myself.

#21 12 years ago

If Invisiglass is even close in quality to PDI, they already have it beat by removing the huge lag time for PDI.

Cheap, fast, quality >> pick 2 is what I have always heard.

PDI = Quality.

By the sounds of it, Invisiglass = Fast and Quality.

Given the choice, I know where my next $300 will be spent on glass.

#22 12 years ago

Not the ROFL copter!!! rofl

#23 12 years ago

So they ARE made the same way??

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

So they ARE made the same way??

I don't know much about such things, but the way you cut down on glare is to coat the glass. So from a broad perspective, I don't see how they can't be made the same way. I'm sure there are some differences in the coating that give slightly different results, and maybe how the coating is applied, but in the end they are both coated glass.

#25 12 years ago

I mean are we sure it is not the exact same product and JJP just bought a huge batch?

#26 12 years ago

I certainly don't think that's the case....

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I mean are we sure it is not the exact same product and JJP just bought a huge batch?

Jack mentioned it took many months to get where he wanted and he is showing it in photos as working better. Like stang said, it is coated glass in the end, however it seems Jack has made a few changes to improve it. I am sure we will have first hand accounts soon. I will know when I get my machine but that looks like it could be a few months.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

RobertWinter said:I don't understand how Invisiglass would be better than PDI. Short of being the same thickness as regular glass (my only *slight* gripe with PDI), there's really not that much to improve upon.

PDI glass is 3/16", the same thickness as regular glass.

No it's not. It's actually slightly thicker. It's a metric thickness and I forget the exact measurement.

#29 12 years ago

No it's not. It's actually slightly thicker. It's a metric thickness and I forget the exact measurement.

I think PDI glass is 5 mm, which is 0.1969". Regular pin glass is 3/16", which is 0.1875". I noticed it was a little thicker when I put it in my AFM. It is just a little more snug, but it isn't a problem.

#30 12 years ago

Wellll, it seems a lot of people (including myself) are not even sure how this stuff is made. So, it's not something in the glass itself, but a coating like eyeglasses. Is it coated on both sides?
    You say it's snug...so when you slide it in, can the coating get scraped off the very edges? I want to get a sheet for my Scared Stiff, but, of cousee, want to get the best stuff!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Is it coated on both sides?

From what I've read, yes. But I can't point you directly to the info. It may have been on a thread here where Roman (MagicJumpi), who supplies the glass to Joey at PDI, gave some info about the glass. It may have been buried in Phoog's glass thread, or somewhere else, I can't remember.

Quoted from spfxted:

You say it's snug...so when you slide it in, can the coating get scraped off the very edges?

It isn't so snug that I'd worry about it. The glass will still slide out on its own from its weight. It is just a little more snug, enough that I noticed when I slid out the old glass and put in the PDI glass.

#32 12 years ago

Thanks Stang! Maybe they'll have some at the Allentown Pinfest...

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Wellll, it seems a lot of people (including myself) are not even sure how this stuff is made. So, it's not something in the glass itself, but a coating like eyeglasses. Is it coated on both sides?
    You say it's snug...so when you slide it in, can the coating get scraped off the very edges? I want to get a sheet for my Scared Stiff, but, of cousee, want to get the best stuff!

It works just like normal glass. Some machines are tighter than others anyway. On some games I have to add anti rattle tape (electric tape) to the glass for it not to rattle with my subs. This didn't change with PDI glass.

#34 12 years ago

How it's made (PDI)

Untempered regular glass is coated in three runs in a chemical bath (sorry, but I won't share recipes). The glass is coated using a diving process and each bath is different.
    At this stage preferences in regard of light transmission, glare and contrast are set.
    After the glass has been coated it has to be cut to the right size with corners and edges sanded.
    The tempering process is the last in the line.
    Here the reflection color of the glass changes and the final product is finished.

Jack shows comparison pictures on his website where his glass has a greenish reflection and PDI is bluish. The reflective color (green, blue, purple, grey..) can be designed to the customer needs.
    Jack never said that his glass is better than PDI, he only stated that it looks better to him.
    As soon as the first WOZECLE's are in Germany, we will test Invisiglass in the lab.
    That means that we will be able to exactly specify the reflection and transmission in % and won't use phrases like better, newer, more beautiful, sexy, modern, less expensive, stronger a.s.o.
    Furthermore we should be able to tell who made it. Beside that I think Invisiglass is made in Germany too,´cause there are not many companies left who know how to coat and who own the machines.
    The coating technology is not new, so there is nothing to develop for months...
    just to make that clear.

#35 12 years ago

One question for you MagicJumpi, is the coating easy to scratch or is it tough like glass. For example, when a cat gets on a regular pinball glass they do not scratch the glass. Would PDI scratch from cat claws?

#36 12 years ago

No worries in this regard.
    I would be more concerned if your cat has dirty feet/claws with sand on it.
    This will leave scratches.

#37 12 years ago

Well they are both really good...I'm just glad I've got one coming!

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

One question for you MagicJumpi, is the coating easy to scratch or is it tough like glass. For example, when a cat gets on a regular pinball glass they do not scratch the glass. Would PDI scratch from cat claws?

I've found PDI to be plenty tough and resistance to scratching. I've had plenty of airballs hit the glass with a hard impact, and a mark has never been left (so far).

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Beside that I think Invisiglass is made in Germany too,´cause there are not many companies left who know how to coat and who own the machines.

So you are saying there are no new processes and this cannot be done in the US? How can you be sure?

One thing is for sure, if you are asking and want to see it he is not getting it from you. I have heard that rumor but I guess this confirms that is rumor and false.

Looking forward to seeing them together.

#40 12 years ago

Has anyone asked Jack where the glass is made?

#41 12 years ago

Thanks for the summary, Roman.

So you are saying there are no new processes and this cannot be done in the US?

I don't think the issue is that it can't be done in the US. I think the issue was that until now, the only place to get non-reflective 3/16" glass was from Germany. Anything domestic was all 1/4" and thicker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I don't think the issue is that it can't be done in the US. I think the issue was that until now, the only place to get non-reflective 3/16" glass was from Germany. Anything domestic was all 1/4" and thicker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that was the only place, just wondering what info he has to make the claim he thinks it is made in Germany?

#43 12 years ago

I understand that was the only place, just wondering what info he has to make the claim he thinks it is made in Germany?

Invisiglass has a green tint on/in the coating, white light sources are reflected greenish.
    I know a company in Germany who makes the anti reflective glass using green tint as
    the final color.
    This is the reason why I think that Invisiglass could have been made in Germany, but feel free
    and ask Jack.
    Have I ever said or stated that anti reflective glass can only be made in Germany and not in the US
    or somewhere else ?

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Have I ever said or stated that anti reflective glass can only be made in Germany and not in the US
    or somewhere else ?

You have said it is not made anywhere else. The possibility of it notwithstanding. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not PDI more economical if purchased in bulk still?

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

You have said it is not made anywhere else.

I can only speak for PDI, here I know where it's made.
    But what makes it so important for you generally spoken to know where it's made ?
    Aren't you satisfied with what you're receiving ?

Quoted from rommy:

but is not PDI more economical if purchased in bulk still?

Contact the seller for bulk rates and then you'll know if it's more or less economical.

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Aren't you satisfied with what you're receiving

I have not had the pleasure of PDI yet. I will though. And generally spoken it does not matter to me where it is made except for availiability to me on a "right now" basis. If I could have walked down the street and bought 2 sheets of PDI I would have. I realize that is not realistic. But waiting 20 weeks is a killer.

#47 12 years ago

I think I read somewhere that anti-glare glass is being made/developed in Japan.

#48 12 years ago

For clarification:
    Invisiglass is made in the USA. Yes, we still know how to make a few things here.
    Also, there is no green tint to the glass.
    Terry.

#49 12 years ago

Thank you Terry for clarifying.
    There's nothing wrong about it having the glass made in the US.
    If you take a look at Jack's comparison pics, you will see
    that the reflection from the fluoroscent light tubes on the ceiling are
    white with regular glass, are bluish with PDI and are greenish with
    Invisiglass.
    There is always a color left from the spectrum of light in the coating,
    not the glass, but this has no effect on the visibility or the effect itself.
    Could you provide specs from Invisiglass in regard of
    light transmission and reflection in % please ?

#50 12 years ago

These would not be specs for me to supply. If those specs are to be devulged they will have to come from JJP.
    Terry.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/invisiglass-is-shipping?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.