Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ATLpb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85756676-31A0-41DB-A9AF-2A1B1AD076D9.gif
    E58EFEDF-D2B1-41AB-9C4D-8560B31DE3F4.gif
    Screenshot_20230203-132354.png
    laugh.gif
    huh.gif
    PXL_20230202_010457414.jpg
    Cayyypture (resized).JPG

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

I would pick a game that is great now and trade it for bond when its ready. I've seen comments that the license holder has to approve code that has assets so sounds like a long time for that game to be finished if that is true.

And any game that is not Godzilla seems to lose $500-$1000 once you take it off the lot.

#52 1 year ago

I’m starting to think that the best new pin to buy is one that Stern is on the last run of, or has stopped making. There’s no advantage to getting the first run of a pin, other than being the only kid on the block that has it (for a while).

Stern is apparently done with Rush. Mark my words, once the hyperventilating over the Node10 boards is over, Rush Pre/LE will be a sought-after pin.

#53 1 year ago

Investment advice,You sure come to the right place.Theres a guy looking for investors (whales) on this very site.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m starting to think that the best new pin to buy is one that Stern is on the last run of, or has stopped making. There’s no advantage to getting the first run of a pin, other than being the only kid on the block that has it (for a while).
    Stern is apparently done with Rush. Mark my words, once the hyperventilating over the Node10 boards is over, Rush Pre/LE will be a sought-after pin.

IDK, the longer you wait, the more likely another Stern price bump might bite you as well.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don't think that will happen to Rush. It will be similar to Aerosmith.

#56 1 year ago

Stern does not = The Franklin Mint

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Exactly. I don’t buy until a year+ out until the damn code is done. Who wants to play a half finished experience.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/investment
    Webster's describes investment as: the outlay of money usually for income or profit

I should have clarified for the home collector.

#59 1 year ago

I'm selling penny shares in this. Get in before the price skyrockets. Guaranteed return.

PXL_20230202_010457414.jpgPXL_20230202_010457414.jpg
    #60 1 year ago

Is it a good financial investment?

No

Or will the value drop to half what I paid in a few years?

No. The average for late model pro games is approximately 10%. The last few years are not average.

Thoughts anyone?

Yes. Invest your money in traditional retirement assets. Consider pinball a luxury and treat it like any other nice item you buy to enjoy.

#61 1 year ago

I have not played Black knight in a long while and perhaps a bad example since some say they like it as is as opposed to some that say nay..examples of fully done to satisfaction are met, Twd,AFM,MM ect. Bad code =Bond,halloween/UM, ect

Quoted from CrazyLevi:I wouldn't use that thread for advice, because many of the people in that thread are absolutely batshit crazy. I've played that game a ton and I never realized the code was "incompetent" but there are some people who are never happy and are in fact insane.
    By that criteria literally every Stern ever made is "unfinished."
    That being said, yes, Bond code is a hot mess right now, but that being said II, this thread is super stupid. Nobody knows what will happen to a game's value so if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. I hear Beanie Babies are recession-proof!

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m starting to think that the best new pin to buy is one that Stern is on the last run of, or has stopped making.

I'm starting to think that the best new pin to buy is the one that you want to own and will enjoy playing.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm sure you're probably right.. It's crazy how some of these games change in popularity. A while back Munsters was considered "too easy" and a dud of a game and now they are a hot game. Only a matter of time before Zeppelin and Turtles get hot too I suppose.

Turtles is severely underrated. Like stranger things, it got bad reviews early on, and many people stuck with that assessment. But in the last 3 years, Dwight has done incredible work to the code.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I'm starting to think that the best new pin to buy is the one that you want to own and will enjoy playing.

That's CRAZY talk!!

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Yeah, that’s why I broke my rule (“no more first runs”) with Rush. It was a dream theme, so I couldn’t wait.

#66 1 year ago

Yes, It's a great investment in home entertainment
    If you buy, hold, play & enjoy you will get a great return

#67 1 year ago

A mass produced Stern pinball in it's entry level version, I wouldn't bet much on recouping what you paid for it. An LE eventually, although people betting on JJP Toy Story CE thinking it would follow the same path as every other CE took a hit.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

A mass produced Stern pinball in it's entry level version, I wouldn't bet much on recouping what you paid for it. An LE eventually, although people betting on JJP Toy Story CE thinking it would follow the same path as every other CE took a hit.

LE’s are mass-produced the exact same way, on the exact same work stations. If any segment of pinball is a bad investment, it’s a new LE in the current market.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

LE’s are mass-produced the exact same way, on the exact same work stations. If any segment of pinball is a bad investment, it’s a new LE in the current market.

This plus the pros are made out of superior materials since they're professional grade and designed to stand up to the abuse on route. LEs are more prone to breakage since they're home owner grade.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This plus the pros are made out of superior materials since they're professional grade and designed to stand up to the abuse on route. LEs are more prone to breakage since they're home owner grade.

huh.gifhuh.gif
    #71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

it's p. much exactly the opposite. my HUO STH LE had zero powder in the cab after 2600 plays

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

it's p. much exactly the opposite. my HUO STH LE had zero powder in the cab after 2600 plays

The powder in the pro is due to the thicker metal and stronger materials.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Whether you are joking or not this is a killer post!

#75 1 year ago

Buy the game, play it to death, then sell it for exactly what you paid for it. It's like having all that fun for FREE!

Now that's a good investment.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whether you are joking or not this is a killer post!

Professional grade man.

Screenshot_20230203-132354.pngScreenshot_20230203-132354.png
    #77 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

this thread is super stupid. Nobody knows what will happen to a game's value so if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Truth...super stupid. Pins aren't investments, pins aren't investments, pin aren't investments, blah/blah/blah, YET, we all know that if pins depreciated like pool tables, our hobby wouldn't be thriving. Sure, people would still own some games, but the people with over 10 games (like me) wouldn't be collecting so many if their games didn't hold their value fairly well. If people think otherwise, they are fooling themselves. Demand is sky high, but when that subsides we will likely go back to the good ole days where the license and game actually dictate a games value. Bond is a top shelf license and currently an unfinished work under development.

Quoted from Deez:

Wow, even more stupid...

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Truth...super stupid. Pins aren't investments, pins aren't investments, pin aren't investments, blah/blah/blah, YET, we all know that if pins depreciated like pool tables, our hobby wouldn't be thriving. Sure, people would still own some games, but the people with over 10 games (like me) wouldn't be collecting so many if their games didn't hold their value fairly well. If people think otherwise, they are fooling themselves. Demand is sky high, but when that subsides we will likely go back to the good ole days where the license and game actually dictate a games value. Bond is a top shelf license and currently an unfinished work under development.

Wow, even more stupid...

Agree 100%!!!!!

No way in hell I would own 18 (19th on order) if I took a bath on every game. It would be no more than 3, at the old prices, not today’s prices.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

E58EFEDF-D2B1-41AB-9C4D-8560B31DE3F4.gifE58EFEDF-D2B1-41AB-9C4D-8560B31DE3F4.gif
    #80 1 year ago

I say take out a second mortgage and buy as many as you can afford.

The naysayers will be eating their words when values triple and you're sitting on a throne of NIB 007 Pros.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Turtles is severely underrated. Like stranger things, it got bad reviews early on, and many people stuck with that assessment. But in the last 3 years, Dwight has done incredible work to the code.

We got our TMNT back at My Parents Basement after a couple mos out on a trade and are THRILLED to have it back. Great tournament game and great game that skilled players can play for a bit without spending a half hour per game.

And- what everyone already said about the OP question…

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Is it a good financial investment?
    No
    Or will the value drop to half what I paid in a few years?
    No. The average for late model pro games is approximately 10%. The last few years are not average.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Yes. Invest your money in traditional retirement assets. Consider pinball a luxury and treat it like any other nice item you buy to enjoy.

Said the guy who’s got 13 investments. Just sittin’ and appreciatin’.

85756676-31A0-41DB-A9AF-2A1B1AD076D9.gif85756676-31A0-41DB-A9AF-2A1B1AD076D9.gif
    #83 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Quoted from Deez:

Hahaha, you're both funny but......

You're joking right ?

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Hahaha, you're both funny but......
    You're joking right ?

I'm half joking but LEs are junk. They have extra mechs that break. They have glass you can't even use Windex on. Low grade powder coating. They're made for home use and aren't designed for the abuse of a commercial environment. They frequently feature the worst art package. The idea they're better quality is false. They are actually lower quality than a pro. All you really get is the ability to slap your dick on the table and say you overpaid for a game with a manufacturered scarcity.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Truth...super stupid. Pins aren't investments, pins aren't investments, pin aren't investments, blah/blah/blah, YET, we all know that if pins depreciated like pool tables, our hobby wouldn't be thriving. Sure, people would still own some games, but the people with over 10 games (like me) wouldn't be collecting so many if their games didn't hold their value fairly well. If people think otherwise, they are fooling themselves. Demand is sky high, but when that subsides we will likely go back to the good ole days where the license and game actually dictate a games value. Bond is a top shelf license and currently an unfinished work under development..

Quoted from Deez:

I'm half joking but LEs are junk. They have extra mechs that break. They have glass you can't even use Windex on. Low grade powder coating. They're made for home use and aren't designed for the abuse of a commercial environment. They frequently feature the worst art package. The idea they're better quality is false. They are actually lower quality than a pro. All you really get is the ability to slap your dick on the table and say you overpaid for a game with a manufacturered scarcity.

Right.. And let's not forget about the crappy mirrored backglass.. That is a relic since we invented translites.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Amen!

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

All you really get is the ability to slap your dick on the table and say you overpaid for a game with a manufacturered scarcity.

Yep, it’s a great god damn feeling.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I don't think it's the quality that makes pinball a maybe investment, it's more the rarity for home users. For the games I have and follow on the market (JJP mainly), the CEs are always the fastest to sell while the SEs can stay on the market forever unless the price is really low.

I have a DI and a WW, I sold a WOZ RR recently and made a decent profit on it, I don't have the same hope for the 2 games I have now.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm actually not a huge fan of LE's either, but only because the Premium's offer the same exact gameplay at a more attractive price. Since they offer the same mechs as an LE, you would claim Premiums are also lower quality than a Pro (which hasn't been my experience). Sure, the added mechs often need to be dialed in, but that's true for EVERY game. More stuff means more dialing in and fiddling. And who gives a shit about Windex? Really? Rubbing alcohol and distilled water is cheaper and better...Windex is unnecessary and even though fancy glass is no panacea, it's a nice feature.

You just seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the LE focused buyers...

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I'm actually not a huge fan of LE's either, but only because the Premium's offer the same exact gameplay at a more attractive price. Since they offer the same mechs as an LE, you would claim Premiums are also lower quality than a Pro (which hasn't been my experience). Sure, the added mechs often need to be dialed in, but that's true for EVERY game. More stuff means more dialing in and fiddling. And who gives a shit about Windex? Really? Rubbing alcohol and distilled water is cheaper and better...Windex is unnecessary and even though fancy glass is no panacea, it's a nice feature.
    You just seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the LE focused buyers...

I definitely don't have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care what people buy. I have a slight annoyance at the concept of an LE being thought of as a premium product when it's not. If anything you hit the nail on the head. Premium models typically are the best option with all gameplay features and the better art package compared to the LE in most instances. Just from personal experience that is more stuff to break without much gain in the gameplay experience. Ymmv.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tango:

I'm interested in buying a new James Bond 007 (Pro). I'm curious about what people think will happen to the value of the machine over time (home play only). Is it a good financial investment? Or will the value drop to half what I paid in a few years? Thoughts anyone? BTW- the Premium and Limited Edition are way outside my price range. Thanks a million.
    [quoted image]

You'd be better off with a Treasury Bond.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Just from personal experience that is more stuff to break without much gain in the gameplay experience. Ymmv.

My mileage does vary...depends on the game. Both JP2 and GZ are recent hits where the Premium mechs shine brightly (and are well worth the cost). They've also been rock solid for me. OTOH, my MET Pro is just fine without the physical ball lock and moving cross. I've been a Stern buyer for about 20 years and the Premium models are typically my goto (and haven't been as fragile as you elude to).

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

My mileage does vary...depends on the game

Super duper true. A few examples of anecdotal personal experience.

GZ building, bridge, rotating Mecha - flawless.
    DP drops, and ramp/orbit return - flawless.
    SW hyper loop, escape gate, Death Star- flawless

MET hammer?
    STH tk lock and projector?
    Maiden 360 captive balls and sarco?
    Eek, not so much.

Back to OP. Ppl are gonna gush over 007 when it’s done, probably still not a great investment vs alternatives (dividend ETFs, T-bills, bonds, a new small driveway, a used Civic for your son/daughter, etc etc)

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/investment-advice-sought-james-bond-007-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.