Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ATLpb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85756676-31A0-41DB-A9AF-2A1B1AD076D9.gif
    E58EFEDF-D2B1-41AB-9C4D-8560B31DE3F4.gif
    Screenshot_20230203-132354.png
    laugh.gif
    huh.gif
    PXL_20230202_010457414.jpg
    Cayyypture (resized).JPG
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I'm interested in buying a new James Bond 007 (Pro). I'm curious about what people think will happen to the value of the machine over time (home play only). Is it a good financial investment? Or will the value drop to half what I paid in a few years? Thoughts anyone? BTW- the Premium and Limited Edition are way outside my price range. Thanks a million.

Cayyypture (resized).JPGCayyypture (resized).JPG
    #2 1 year ago

It’s a better investment than a boat or a wife. Worst case, you’re out $500-1000. More likely it will hold its value over time.

#3 1 year ago

I wouldn't buy a pinball machine as an investment.

The value is in if you like it and will play it.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

You’re at an absolute peak in pinball pricing and sales are starting to show that things are slowing down. Not to mention our economy is showing significant signs of slowing down and bond sales are slow.

Pinball has had ups and downs in the past. I believe we’re at the absolute peak of an up. I would not advise this at all.

#5 1 year ago

Tough to say at the moment. It was released in a very incomplete state. I find it fun, but is extremely lacking at the moment in "stuff to do." If you are purchasing the machine as purely an investment then there are better options. The market is beyond flooded with Pros and Premiums at the moment. Distributors are actually kind of pissed off at Stern for pushing out a game which is a bit tough to sell with the current code and gameplay.

#6 1 year ago

Pinball machines aren’t investments. They are money making devises for the public that have become collectible.

Stocks, bonds, and real estate are investments.

A game at home is a toy. You may or may not make your purchase cost back, the real enjoyment is getting to play your toy. I have no regrets, I love it.

#7 1 year ago

based on art and playfield design it does not, imho, have the instant classic appeal. great theme, but I personally doubt they are going to go up in value over msrp in the long run. I doubt it will drop to half, but maybe in the 5500-6500 price in a few years.

#8 1 year ago

It’s an asset. Not an investment.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Pinball machines aren’t investments. They are money making devises for the public

That is literally the definition of an investment.

Something an operator invests in, in the hope that it will generate a return on that investment.

rd

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

That is literally the definition of an investment.
    Something an operator invests in, in the hope that it will generate a return on that investment.

rd

Yeah… If you’re an operator. OP clearly isn’t.

#11 1 year ago

A pinball machine is not an investment
    Its value will be based on its condition when you sell it
    If you do not look after your game, it will show

#12 1 year ago

Not a super hot title. Pros are the base versions.

Might as well ask if a Hyundai Accent will gain value. No.

#13 1 year ago

Go buy gold from William Devane and Rosland Capital.

#14 1 year ago

Most likely you are looking at $500 loss when reselling. The wildcard is if Stern raises prices again and the Bond code gets a lot better, you might play it for a couple years and resell for the same money. But go into it thinking break even at best with most likely losing $500-1000

#15 1 year ago

I don't look at my pins as investments but I do look at them as relatively safe places to put my money. You get to use them as you wish and I find that if priced right, they are easy to sell. As always, its about where you buy in at and what you expect to sell at. Knowing the market is half the battle. If I were you and you really want that title, buy it used at less than msrp, if you can. The good thing about buying used is you get to check it out and it has already been played before you buy it. Its much easier to spot manufacturers defects this way. The good thing is that if I ever really need money, all I have to do is sell one of my games, although I don't like to sell my games!

#16 1 year ago

I’d buy two. One to open and play, the other to leave in the box for investment.

#17 1 year ago

Pinside: Don't buy a Stern pro as an investiment

Also Pinside: Almost every Stern pro more than a year old is listed for more than the original MSRP

#18 1 year ago

I bet OP is working on a pitch to the wife to justify the high cost of NIB pinball.

#19 1 year ago

Probably gonna do better then the stuff you have in your "safe" 401k so go for it. And by better will lose less % compared to inflation. Also tell your keeper that it reduces stress, "lol not" and you will live longer to earn more in the long run.

#20 1 year ago

I give up.

But, one last time, current inflated pinball values will go down at some point.
    Interest from the general public is high right now. That won't last forever.
    It's not normal that the value of any manufactured product goes up when it's no longer new.
    Please don't buy pinball machines as investments. Buy them if you want to play, fix, and enjoy them.

#21 1 year ago

Best investment you’ll ever make. One thing this hobby has taught me is if you need money wait 10 minutes for the next wave of noobs that don’t know how to use a soldering iron and socket wrench to come along, and they’ll buy your Bond for $5,000 more than you bought it for as long as there are action figures and hot glue guns available.

#22 1 year ago

Could I buy shares of this bond? I’m looking to diversify.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Pinball machines aren’t investments. They are money making devises for the public that have become collectible.
    A game at home is a toy. You may or may not make your purchase cost back, the real enjoyment is getting to play your toy. I have no regrets, I love it.

Pinball machines are investments if you pick the right ones....just like stocks. Some lose and some win. What the ROC is - that depends.

Bond is a great theme by a great designer. I feel confident on it.

#24 1 year ago

Absolutely. Just make sure to attach every cheap Bond toy you can find to the pf and pinstadiums set to purple. That will instantly triple it's value.

#25 1 year ago

Treat it like any other business asset. It will depreciate over time.

#26 1 year ago

If you keep it in good condition, you can expect to sell it at a 500-1200 loss in 3-5 years, or trade it for another equivalent. Will you get $500-$1200 worth of entertainment from a machine in your house for a few years? If so, it's a great "investment".

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you keep it in good condition, you can expect to sell it at a 500-1200 loss in 3-5 years, or trade it for another equivalent. Will you get $500-$1200 worth of entertainment from a machine in your house for a few years? If so, it's a great "investment".

Not necessarily. Timing is everything.

#28 1 year ago

Not adjusting for inflation, I could see the less popular LCD HUO pros dropping below $5k.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from curban:

Not adjusting for inflation, I could see the less popular LCD HUO pros dropping below $5k.

Yeah - good luck getting 5k for a zeppelin. Turd sandwich.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Yeah - good luck getting 5k for a zeppelin. Turd sandwich.

For the less popular games like Zeppelin Pro there are less examples out there to buy which keeps the prices up. Are there any LCD era Sterns that can be regularly found for $5k or less? I'm not a huge fan of Zeppelin but if the Pros hit $5k or less I'd be really tempted to pick one up.

#31 1 year ago

Without straying too far into the political, continued inflation, perhaps quite high, is almost guaranteed in the future. With the wild spending and money printing going on by BOTH parties in government, inflation is simply a fact of life, despite what our leaders say.

If this is true, pinball manufacturing costs will also continue to rise, maybe significantly, and corresponding new pinball list prices will rise as well. Raw materials, labor costs, energy, etc will all play a part in these price increases. This means that it is likely, but not guaranteed, that pinball resale prices will similarly rise. The saying is a rising tide floats all boats.

Assuming that the game in question is seen as desirable by homeowners, operators, and collectors, and is in good condition, it should participate in this inflationary price increase. In the case of Bond specifically, I personally have no idea if it is desirable having not yet seen or played one in person. It's a popular theme so I suspect if Stern does a good job, it should do well.

Of course, pinball price increases do not necessarily equate to good investments. Will the price increases keep up with the real inflation rate? If not, it may be worth more money, but it is not a good investment. Traditional areas considered good investments are stocks, precious metals (sometimes), land or property, and some universally desirable tangible items like very high end art, collector cars, Swiss watches, etc.

As others have said, buy a pinball if you really like it and want to play it. If it sells for what you paid for it or even more some years down the road, that's great. But it might or might not have been a "good investment"!

#32 1 year ago

I wouldn’t “invest” in Bond until Lonnie is removed as lead programmer or a reputable programmer with a proven track record is assigned to this project. As it stands, Bond is a turd from a code standpoint.

#33 1 year ago

I wish Stern would release a game called “Stock” so I could tell my wife I’m buying Stocks and Bonds with our money.

#34 1 year ago

There WAS a Williams game called Blue Chip!

#35 1 year ago

@Tango, don’t take the downvotes personally; there have been a lot of threads like this. You have great collection of older games. If you can swing it and you have the space, treat yourself to one new game to go with them. Here’s a place near you that has Bond, so you can play it before you buy it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/15889-revenge-of-los-angeles-ca

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

For the less popular games like Zeppelin Pro there are less examples out there to buy which keeps the prices up. Are there any LCD era Sterns that can be regularly found for $5k or less? I'm not a huge fan of Zeppelin but if the Pros hit $5k or less I'd be really tempted to pick one up.

I’m not saying we’re there yet. It’s just my conservative guess. In 2019/2020 a bunch of stern LCDs could be had for under $5k. Yeah the NIB prices have gone up since then, so presumably used’s would too…but I wouldn’t tell a potential buyer that he can count on his pin always being worth more than $5k in today’s $ value. No I’m not predicting a bubble burst.

Not too long after their releases you could find HUO SW’s, Munsters, BKSOR’s, SThings, Aerosmith (probably a few others) all for around $4500.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

But, one last time, current inflated pinball values will go down at some point.
    Interest from the general public is high right now. That won't last forever.

But where is the peak. I tell people to imagine every 50 year old man having a pinball in their home. Now that’s not going to happen, but it highlights how much headroom is still in the market.

#38 1 year ago

Perhaps use Black knight swords of rage thread help you on this decision. Unfinished/unpolished code and yet will it ever be finished??????? Buying an incompetent incomplete game seems a no for me .
    Buy games you can afford that are completely done with code updates is optimal! Also buy games that do not use Spike is optimal for long life and easy to obtain parts .

Example - People still await a node board replacement for Game of thrones 2015 release Date and can not play without that part (not in stock)and have a 5k or more dead paperweight to look at . Joy !!!!!

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Example - People still await a node board replacement for Game of thrones 2015 release Date and can not play without that part (not in stock)and have a 5k or more dead paperweight to look at.

Did this really happen? How long has the owner waited for availability of a replacement board?

Spike games have been reliable for me and my friends who operate pins. I'm not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from curban:

I’m not saying we’re there yet. It’s just my conservative guess. In 2019/2020 a bunch of stern LCDs could be had for under $5k. Yeah the NIB prices have gone up since then, so presumably used’s would too…but I wouldn’t tell a potential buyer that he can count on his pin always being worth more than $5k in today’s $ value. No I’m not predicting a bubble burst.
    Not too long after their releases you could find HUO SW’s, Munsters, BKSOR’s, SThings, Aerosmith (probably a few others) all for around $4500.

I remember those times well. I bought a NIB Iron Maiden "show" game when it first came out for $5K (and later sold for $4700) and the typical selling price for NIB Pros was around $5600. Since then the hobby has gotten way more popular (due to Covid mostly) and the price has shot up about $1400 on Pros which also brought all the used prices up. I don't really see it going back down unless NIB prices start coming down which doesn't seem likely or if a lot of people start exiting the hobby which doesn't seem that likely either. I think we may see price soften on some less desirable titles like BKSOR or Zeppelin but as long as NIB prices keep going up I don't see them going down too far especially since there were less of these less desirable games made.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Did this really happen? How long has the owner waited for availability of a replacement board?
    Spike games have been reliable for me and my friends who operate pins. I'm not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative.

many pinsiders threads on this . Node board 10 issues is one of the recent posts on here and a few are still waiting and been waiting a long while . They have no shortages on pumping out the Nib games and leave people who have games (rather new) waiting for replacements. Old news and that is bad .

#42 1 year ago

Pinball machines are not investments. Also, your pinball machine will probably double in value over 10 years.

#43 1 year ago

Like others have mentioned; Pinball isn't an investment. But that's not to say it can't or won't go up in value. Look at Stranger Things Pro & Metallica Pro so it really depends on how well you take care of it & if there's demand for it...

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Perhaps use Black knight swords of rage thread help you on this decision. Unfinished/unpolished code and yet will it ever be finished??????? Buying an incompetent incomplete game seems a no for me .

I wouldn't use that thread for advice, because many of the people in that thread are absolutely batshit crazy. I've played that game a ton and I never realized the code was "incompetent" but there are some people who are never happy and are in fact insane.

By that criteria literally every Stern ever made is "unfinished."

That being said, yes, Bond code is a hot mess right now, but that being said II, this thread is super stupid. Nobody knows what will happen to a game's value so if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. I hear Beanie Babies are recession-proof!

#45 1 year ago

100% of 'investors' that bought Bitcoin in Oct/Nov of 2021 wish they had investing in NIB pinball machines instead. So there is that.....

#46 1 year ago

In my 8+ years on Pinside I've never seen a thread title I hated and wanted locked on principle, more than this one.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I think we may see price soften on some less desirable titles like BKSOR…

Hold on there Bucko…BKSOR is now a desirable game!

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from curban:

Hold on there Bucko…BKSOR is now a desirable game!

I'm sure you're probably right.. It's crazy how some of these games change in popularity. A while back Munsters was considered "too easy" and a dud of a game and now they are a hot game. Only a matter of time before Zeppelin and Turtles get hot too I suppose.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/investment

Webster's describes investment as: the outlay of money usually for income or profit

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

I wouldn’t “invest” in Bond until Lonnie is removed as lead programmer or a reputable programmer with a proven track record is assigned to this project. As it stands, Bond is a turd from a code standpoint.

This is such an asinine take. He's responsible for Stranger Things which has masterful code.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/investment-advice-sought-james-bond-007-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.