New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 82519)

Introduction and few questions

By derek533

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi gang. New member here and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Brief history is that I grew up a child of the 80's and 90's and now am in a financial position to start collecting a few pinballs.

I must say, you guys get the golden star award for use of most acronyms. I don't think I've ever been a part of a forum that used so many! Having said that, I am learning what a lot of them mean.

I do have a question in regards to terminology, I see the term "routed" or fresh off of "route" being used quite a bit. What does this mean?

A couple of other questions, it seems that prices are all over the place for the same machine across different venues i.e. ebay, craigslist, pinside, retailers, etc. Where am I going to likely find the best pin for the buck? I see play counts posted once in a while and what is considered high miles so to speak or does it really matter if the condition is good?

Here are some pins I'm looking into:

Whirlwind (played this one so much in the arcades, would love to own one)
    The Shadow
    Rollercoaster Tycoon
    Demolition Man
    NBA Fastbreak
    Judge Dredd
    No Good Gofers
    Road Show
    Funhouse
    Cactus Jack's

Are all of these doable with a budget of around $2-$3k? I've only got one Stern and one Gottleib on the list. Any issues with reliability or parts from Gottleib?

Thanks and look forward to chatting with you guys.

#2 6 years ago

Routed means it was operated on location. Fresh off route means it just came in from a location.

Do your home work, ask questions. Get local collectors to help you. Learn some basics for when looking at a machine.

Boards look okay or trained monkeys with no tools or parts repaired them ? Hard to clean areas dirty or clean ? Clean hints at the game has been kept up.

Go to a show or two and play a variety of machines so you learn what you like.

Don't get caught up in buying your first game no matter what. Learn to walk away. Make your first buying experience a good one. And you'll get a lot more out of the hobby.

Your first game, buy local. So you can see it and play it. Avoid shipping and nightmares from bad sellers that way.

Welcome my friend to the world of pinball !

LTG : )™

#3 6 years ago

Well, LTG summed it pretty good, as you will see he does that. So I'll just send a hearty welcome, and enjoy yourself.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks guys.

The only problem with buying local, is trying to find a decent pin. We have a place here in OKC called Cactus Jack's (it's on the list of places to get your fix btw). Very cool place that is a true arcade and not a kid's place that also has video/pinball games. They have three walls of nothing but pins and you can tell that a lot of people have asked about buying them for personal collections as they all have prices on them. Problem is, their prices seem to be way too high compared to what I'm seeing others online for who aren't local. They had NBA Fastbreak marked for $4,995 and while it was a nice machine with LED's that were well laid out, it just seemed to be high to me for a pin that is usually around the $3K or less range from what I've seen. Seems like it's more just to steer people away from asking to buy them more than anything else.

#5 6 years ago

Acronyms: Pinside automatically provides links to games when you mention the name or acronym. When you see acronyms you're not familiar with, you can usually mouse over them and see the name of the game. Examples from the games you mentioned: WW, TS, RCT, DM, NBAFB, JD, NGG, RS, FH, CJ. If it doesn't work, Google "pinball acronyms" and this should be the first result.

Prices like $5k for NBA Fast Break pretty much mean, "not interested in selling unless you're willing to overpay big time". Nothing wrong with that in my mind. A lot of prices on eBay seem to be set with a similar mindset. They're not priced to move, but rather to be available if someone decides they have to have it and money is no object.

There are at least a couple "price check" threads for most games here on Pinside that you can find if you search. People will have differing opinions, and no one is right or wrong. If you're interested in buying a price guide, I'd recommend the Mr. Pinball Price Guide.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 599.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Stranger Things Topper Out of stock
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 94.00
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 224.99
    $ 64.00
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 139.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside