(Topic ID: 306114)

Introducing Pinsight HDD - Now Shipping!

By Mando

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by metalkatt
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you want this mod?”

• Yes looks great! 104 votes
      74%
    • No thanks 27 votes
      19%
    • Yes, but I only like it where the Apron card goes(See Elvira) 9 votes
      6%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6080 (resized).jpeg
    AF48D41C-324C-4C6B-8A3C-EFC856899715 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3895 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3888 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3882 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3899 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3896 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3892 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3894 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3890 (resized).JPG
    025FE8F3-7C9E-4BCA-BB1F-27647512518A (resized).jpeg
    C0D3DDB1-2D9C-4511-BCF2-F09AE40561E0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

Updating First Post

These are now available in my Shop, Free UPS Ground Shipping also $10 off if you buy in multiples (Code:multiple)
    They are $229.99 "out the door"

https://cheapdrainz.myshopify.com/products/pinsight-hdd

Install Video

Support Thread
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsight-hdd-troubleshooting#post-6827477

Here is an FAQ

What machines does this work with?

All modern Sterns running spike2 starting with Batman 66 up to the latest release currently Rush. Currently it requires a metal Apron so you either need a premium/LE or to replace the apron on your pro. I will be testing some alternatives the issue with pros is very minimal clearance between the glass and apron.

Will this work with other manufactures?

Currently I have tested on a Spooky game(Ultraman) and yes it will, it does require one different component do if you would like it for a Spooky please contact me.

Are there any known issues with the mod?

The only issue I have run into is a blanking of the 5 inch screen while playing. It appears this is mostly if not totally eliminated by making sure all connections are secure. It has however been seen by streamers too who split the Spike signal so I cannot guarantee it wont happen. Again it is not often, last only a few seconds and does not affect the main display. If this will bother you then you may want to wait or you can contact me to discuss further.

Other than that you just need to be careful, after much testing I think the screens are now fairly rugged, but they are small thin LED screens if you bend them enough or poke them hard they can crack. This should not be an issue as long as you exercise reasonable caution but I cannot be responsible if you are careless and crack it. This is one reason why the magnets are good no force required if you want to move it etc..

How does it attach to the apron?

It is using strong thin magnets, I personally think this is the best method as it is not permanent and allows you to easily reposition it. I have decided to ship with the magnets not installed so that you have the option of using double stick tape or another method if you prefer. You will just stick them on yourself. It also allows for better packing.

Will there be any visible wires?

No if you install it centered on the apron the PCB board and all wires will be hidden under the apron, there will be a ribbon cable that runs on the front of the apron but it will not be visible when the lock bar is installed.

What will I be getting when I order?

You will receive a 5 inch LED screen with a custom bezel, a signal converter to split the Spike to signal to the original monitor and the HDD as well as an HDMI cable and USB power cable, along with a few small parts for installation

How hard is it to install?

I would call this medium level, it’s not as simple as snapping in a 3D printed part but also not overly complex. You will need to install the splitter board in the backbox, there are a few connections that need to be removed, reconnected etc. I will tell you that the display connector is a bit finicky and its critical that its installed snuggly and correctly I will do my best to make this easier. There are also a few connections that have to be offset by one set of pins for example so it’s critical that you pay attention to the install instructions. Once this is done you simply route two cables(power and HDMI) to the lower apron, remove the apron, install the PCB and screen, put apron back and hope you made all you connections nice a solid

The below pics are my prototypes, the shipping product is what you see in the shop, although the ones that are shipping have a better viewing angle 0 washout!
    20211214_194851 (resized).jpg20211214_194851 (resized).jpg20211214_194908 (resized).jpg20211214_194908 (resized).jpg20211214_194839 (resized).jpg20211214_194839 (resized).jpg20211214_194920 (resized).jpg20211214_194920 (resized).jpg20211214_194844 (resized).jpg20211214_194844 (resized).jpg20211214_194913 (resized).jpg20211214_194913 (resized).jpg20211214_194857 (resized).jpg20211214_194857 (resized).jpg20211214_194901 (resized).jpg20211214_194901 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Looking good!

#3 2 years ago

So this sits on top of the apron?

#4 2 years ago

Great Idea. I put one of these on my Hobbit and Its great so you dont have to look up to read the mode timers.
    I will buy a couple! Please put me on the liist!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

So this sits on top of the apron?

Yes, no modification of the apron required for the metal ones, the plastic ones different story I think.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Great Idea. I put one of these on my Hobbit and Its great so you dont have to look up to read the mode timers.
    I will buy a couple! Please put me on the liist!

I will try and keep track but the plan is once I finalize the parts I will start a pre-order and post it here.

#8 2 years ago

Looks cool to me!

#9 2 years ago

This is a great idea and definitely some interest here.

#10 2 years ago

Oh I'd definitely be in for one. Nicely done.

#12 2 years ago

One of my biggest issues is not being able to look up at status while I'm playing. I'd probably be in for one to start

#13 2 years ago

this looks great! I'm going to be really tempted by this on my GZ

#14 2 years ago

Doesn't server any need for me at all, but people seem to be liking it!

#15 2 years ago

I would definitely be in for a few of these!

#16 2 years ago

I'll be joining the pre-order list for sure. looks fantastic, great idea.

#17 2 years ago

You're right down the road from me! Awesome mod!!!

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from durgee7:

You're right down the road from me! Awesome mod!!!

Nice , free shipping

#19 2 years ago

I would definitely be in for one to start and will keep an eye out on this thread for preorder list

#20 2 years ago

Probably not for me but two big thumbs up for idea and execution. Well done.

#21 2 years ago

Great idea. Would definitely be interested.

#22 2 years ago

Very cool idea. I’d be in for one. Mando premium.

#23 2 years ago

I like it, but doubt I'd be willing to pay for it.

#24 2 years ago

I'll drop an order for half a dozen right off the bat. Just sayin.

#25 2 years ago

Thanks for the interest , a few things to note.

- I chose the center position as my testing shows it provides both the best screen brightness vs viewing from and angle and is also a little more ideal to see when the ball is moving fast!
    - Really if you like it where the apron cards go you can mount it there just not with the custom bezel you see with the screws. If things go really well I could offer multiple options at some point.
    - The Mod would include the board to split the display signal to the current monitor and the new mini one, all required cabling and of course the screen with the bezel. Godzilla and Turtles have the cover that came with the screen but its glass and metal I am worried it could scratch HD glass and doesnt look as good so I will have the one I designed professionally printed. The cool thing is you should be able to remove and paint it to your liking, or just leave it black.
    - Pinball is still a fast game, I have found if you keep you eyes in awe of the screen you will drain LOL, but I can definitely get some quick info and see a few scenes I never noticed before!
    - I experimented with a 7 inch screen as well, while this was really the ideal viewing size, aesthetically it is a bit too large. This 5 inch screen proves to be just the right size to look clean.

Right now I am waiting a prototype screen that will eliminate a few steps from me making these and make for a cleaner install. Once I get that and confirm its good to go I will place an initial order with the various suppliers and start a pre-order. In the mean time I will continue to test, and make some for a few friends to make sure its reliable last thing I need is a lot of tech support

By the way if you have a JJP, or a Spooky I will look into that as well. It may actually be cheaper as I think they have a direct HDMI output and I could just sell the screen part. I would have to see if this particular screen likes their resolution output.

If you have a pro with a plastic apron I will get one and see what I can do, there is just so little clearance between the glass and that particular apron it may require a OLED screen or something. Id rather make a few sales before I take it too far. You of course could get a metal apron, they are nice

#26 2 years ago

Any idea if it would work on a Home Pin?

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from matt68061:

Any idea if it would work on a Home Pin?

Hmm, great question. If anyone has one in the Triangle Area of North Carolina glad to try it. I would have to see how that thing outputs to the little screen. I would imagine stern did not re-invent the wheel here.

#28 2 years ago

That is such an awesome idea, I really like it where the screen is to the side.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Petie423:

That is such an awesome idea, I really like it where the screen is to the side.

I mounted the Mando one with strong magnets, works great actually this would allow you to put it there if you wanted and move it. I think most will find the center is best. But I do think it looks nice with that custom bezel where the card goes no doubt, but functionally better in the center.

#30 2 years ago

Super interested. 2 or 3. Can you make it work for the hobbit and GnR too?

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bluepilot:

Super interested. 2 or 3. Can you make it work for the hobbit and GnR too?

I think so, my friend has a GNR I will check if this particular screen works with it. Pretty sure that has straight HDMI out, so if it works will be cheaper as I may just need a signal splitter.

#32 2 years ago

This is awesome! Put me on the preorder list!!

#33 2 years ago

Mando, any sense of a prospective timescale on this? Availability in weeks, or months? This looks incredible...

#34 2 years ago

Wow - way better than the PinBar, and looks like this will actually make it into production. Nice job on working this out and testing/demoing on several current machines. When I finally get a modern pin, definitely would be interested in this.
    How is the screen secured to the apron? Mostly wondering if this is something that can be removed without damage to the apron?

#35 2 years ago

I'd like to be on the pre-order list assuming it will work for JP pro.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

By the way if you have a JJP, or a Spooky I will look into that as well. It may actually be cheaper as I think they have a direct HDMI output and I could just sell the screen part. I would have to see if this particular screen likes their resolution output.

I may be interested in these for JJP GNR, Wonka and Woz

#37 2 years ago

Very nice addition Mando !!

I too would be interested in at least one for my JJP pin.

Looks quite nice. Keep us updated

G

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Doesn't server any need for me at all, but people seem to be liking it!

Indeed, they are!!

#39 2 years ago

Sign me up for the Godzilla lcd.

#40 2 years ago

Put me down for one at least, maybe 2!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from BaumeisterB:

Wow - way better than the PinBar, and looks like this will actually make it into production. Nice job on working this out and testing/demoing on several current machines. When I finally get a modern pin, definitely would be interested in this.
    How is the screen secured to the apron? Mostly wondering if this is something that can be removed without damage to the apron?

Yes right now I am leaning towards a strong magnet mount for the metal aprons , no holes drilled and you won't see the cables .

#42 2 years ago

Absolutely great idea. Sign me up for at least one, two if i can afford it. LOL

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Meri-cah:

Absolutely great idea. Sign me up for at least one, two if i can afford it. LOL

Sell me your Corvette and you will be able to buy a bunch!

#44 2 years ago

I like it! Right in the center. Do one for PB Alien and I’d be down for one.

#45 2 years ago

Very interested. Sent a PM. We've got pretty much every brand out on the floor right now that could help with testing. Customers will love this.

#46 2 years ago

Looks fantastic @mando! I would be down for a couple of them as well.

#47 2 years ago

I'm down in Charlotte if you need some more testing done! Have Turtles Premium, Godzilla LE, Star Wars LE and Deadpool LE.

#48 2 years ago

This is pretty cool! I could see Stern or JJP picking this up!

#49 2 years ago

Put me down for one for IM. Looks cool

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-pinsight-hdd?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.