(Topic ID: 306114)

Introducing Pinsight HDD - Now Shipping!

By Mando

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by metalkatt
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you want this mod?”

• Yes looks great! 104 votes
      74%
    • No thanks 27 votes
      19%
    • Yes, but I only like it where the Apron card goes(See Elvira) 9 votes
      6%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6080 (resized).jpeg
    AF48D41C-324C-4C6B-8A3C-EFC856899715 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3895 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3888 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3882 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3899 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3896 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3892 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3894 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3890 (resized).JPG
    025FE8F3-7C9E-4BCA-BB1F-27647512518A (resized).jpeg
    C0D3DDB1-2D9C-4511-BCF2-F09AE40561E0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 2 years ago

Very cool! Tempted..

#52 2 years ago

1000 % take my money now! I’m in

#53 2 years ago

I'm surprised so many are interested in this. To me it sounds like an unnecessary product but who am I to say what's good or bad. Anyway, good luck with the mod.

Just thinking, if people start to rely on this for their plays at home and then goes to say a tournament without it, wouldn't they feel handicapped and play worse after? Just curious.

#54 2 years ago

How much clearance is there with the playfield glass? Would there be a danger of damaging the screen when taking off or putting the glass back on?

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm surprised so many are interested in this. To me it sounds like an unnecessary product but who am I to say what's good or bad. Anyway, good luck with the mod.
    Just thinking, if people start to rely on this for their plays at home and then goes to say a tournament without it, wouldn't they feel handicapped and play worse after? Just curious.

I think people like the "look" of it but in reality it won't be used that much.

I have an apron dmd on my ironman. I rarely look at it at all. I think I liked the idea that I would but in reality you are looking at your flippers or up the playfield.

timebandits made these quite some time ago. Video :

If you're curious try it yourself. Record some lcd footage and then put your phone there, replay the video and see if you even looked at it while playing

#56 2 years ago

I would try one.

#57 2 years ago

I don't know if it serves a need, at least for me, but it looks cool.
    I would think about it, depending on price.

#58 2 years ago

For those with Pro's you have a few options.

One you just "upgrade" to a metal apron
    https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-bottom-apronarch-metal.html

Or I can work on custom plastic apron, but they cost about this same and this of course raises the price of the mod?

Kinda funny they are the same price, why would Stern not put the metal ones on the pros

Anyhow, that DMD on the AC/DC is very cool, it has to cost more than what I am doing as he built it into the apron which is very nice but trying to keep the mod reasonably priced.

Is it useful? I am having a few friends test, its definitely come in handy a few times while playing but if you expect that you can pay close attention to it during all fast paced action you may be disappointed.

For example, if you need to know the next shot to hit or how many left on a timed mode you can give it a quick glance vs looking up and then down. I also tend to notice some animations that I never did before. Thats my experience.

Seems like there is enough interest to do a first run, happy to keep going with it if people like them after that.

#59 2 years ago

Not sure how I'd feel about that but would love to try a game with it to see

#60 2 years ago

Mando was gracious enough to let me test one out.

1st install is insanely easy. Takes maybe 10 minutes to install maybe. His instructions were detailed and easy to follow

2nd I love it! Instantly I wanted them for all my pins. Picture quality is perfect. I do enjoy having the information on the apron. (is it necessary no, but is it cool YES!!!

3rd Mando is a solid dude. We met through pinball and I consider him a friend now. Don't hesitate to try out his mod.

PXL_20211216_232513611 (resized).jpgPXL_20211216_232513611 (resized).jpgPXL_20211216_232515558 (resized).jpgPXL_20211216_232515558 (resized).jpg
    #61 2 years ago

definitely want to give one a shot on my GZ premium...bet i could cricut a nice frame for it.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Muymanwell:

definitely want to give one a shot on my GZ premium...bet i could cricut a nice frame for it.

that could be cool! My wife has a Cricut, I have no clue how to make nice stuff like that

I should be getting the prototypes sent to me soon, I am quite confident they will work as they are basically just doing some of the work for me.

The bad news is everything takes forever right now, but...I may spring for Air Freight for the first batch just to get it in everyones hands sooner. I have already made several improvements from what I sent Nick.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

that could be cool! My wife has a Cricut, I have no clue how to make nice stuff like that
    I should be getting the prototypes sent to me soon, I am quite confident they will work as they are basically just doing some of the work for me.
    E onlThe bad news is everything takes forever right now, but...I may spring for Air Freight for the first batch just to get it in everyones hands sooner. I have already made several improvements from what I sent Nick.

I would love to be on the preorder list for these!

2 weeks later
    #64 2 years ago

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I am still awaiting the final samples from China, they should be here any day now. Once I confirm they are good I can place a larger order. Now the Chinese new year starts on Jan 15 and apparently that last nearly a month..so...if I cannot get the order placed by then probably wont be until march. We shall see.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I am still awaiting the final samples from China, they should be here any day now. Once I confirm they are good I can place a larger order. Now the Chinese new year starts on Jan 15 and apparently that last nearly a month..so...if I cannot get the order placed by then probably wont be until march. We shall see.

are you taking pre-orders yet?

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

are you taking pre-orders yet?

Maybe soon , new screens just got here ! Think they will work well better viewing angle than my original prototype .

Also these do work in the new spooky games , and easier than the sterns!

Not gonna take anyone's money till I finalize it , it's close.

#67 2 years ago

outSTANDing news, thanks for keeping us posted!

#68 2 years ago

What resolution are these? I'm assuming since they are small it's not that important and they auto scale to whatever the DMD resolution is?

#69 2 years ago

These are technically 480P, the stern screen is 720P. Given their size this is fine.

So I did get the samples, I am not sure if they will be able to make the first batch until after the new year but...

The good news is the sample screen is an improvement from what I had, better viewing angle where as the original got a little washed out from the players perspective. Very happy with it now played several games of Mando on it yesterday. I have also improved the mounting system and made them a little stronger as they could break easily. I went with magnets , makes it easy to move if you want. Double stick once you set it forget it

Also, without my bezel and the mounting magnets they are pretty slim, maybe it will fit with the plastic apron I need to try again..but it would have no bezel and have to attach with ultra thin tape..even then I am not sure . Its just a matter of clearance from the glass and not breaking the screen or scratching the glass.

4 weeks later
    #70 2 years ago

Any update on this? I think you have a lot of interest in this cool mod.

#71 2 years ago

I am just waiting to get all the parts , in fact just sent an email for update Chinese new year got in the way . I think I will be ready to ship these late next month or so.

Once I get confirmation the parts are ready I I'll do a pre order .

#72 2 years ago

Sorry, stupid question. Which games are Spike 2, any Stern with an LCD?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Sorry, stupid question. Which games are Spike 2, any Stern with an LCD?

Yes , will also work with the new spooky games .

I think first spike 2 was Aerosmith or maybe it was Batman 66 .

#74 2 years ago

Spike 2 Titles (in order of release - source PinWiki.com):

2016 Batman 66
    2017 Aerosmith
    2017 Star Wars
    2017 Guardians of the Galaxy
    2018 Iron Maiden
    2018 Deadpool
    2018 Beatles
    2019 The Munsters
    2019 Black Knight: Sword of Rage
    2019 Jurassic Park
    2019 Star Wars
    2019 Elvira's House of Horrors
    2019 Stranger Things
    2020 Heavy Metal
    2020 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    2020 The Avengers Infinity Quest
    2020 Led Zeppelin
    2021 The Mandalorian
    2021 Godzilla
    2021 Jurassic Park
    2022 Rush

#75 2 years ago

Getting close , all the parts are paid for I expect to be able to ship in about a month give or take .

I will announce final pricing and setup a way to order in the coming days .

#76 2 years ago

So, these work on all Spike 2 pins? Magnetic mount, so metal apron preferred?

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

So, these work on all Spike 2 pins? Magnetic mount, so metal apron preferred?

Yes , to be fair I have not tested on every Spike 2 game yet but it should work .

Main reason for the metal apron is that the plastic ones have almost no clearance between them and the glass . It is possible I now have the screen thin enough to fit without the bezel and some ultra thin tape I need to test . But no bezel makes the screen more susceptible to breakage and the glass more susceptible to getting a scratch .

3 weeks later
    #78 2 years ago

If anyone wants to buy the first ever production HDD PM me . I need to make sure the ordering site works , I should be able to ship it by the end of the week.

For the rest I will open up orders when the last major part gets here , Tuesday . These should start shipping the week of the 15th , will take me a week or two to ship them all of they sell out .

#79 2 years ago

Can you see about making this work for a Pinball Brothers Alien? Would be cool to have the HDD since they removed the screen from the playfield.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Can you see about making this work for a Pinball Brothers Alien? Would be cool to have the HDD since they removed the screen from the playfield.

If anyone has one near me , I am sure it's doable might even be easier than the spike ones but I would need to test . Stern is 720p and I am guessing alien is 1080p so I would probably need to source a new screen . Same for JJP.

#81 2 years ago

Somebody in NC with an Alien please give him some assistance.

#82 2 years ago

I have received two testers, shop seems to work well! I will get the link up here as soon as the last of the parts comes in early this week. I just dont want too many orders that I need to refund should something not show up, but should be good Once I have the last of the parts its really a matter of how many orders I get and how quick I can get them ready and out the door.

#83 2 years ago

Ok, I am ready to roll with these. If you order please give me a week or two to get them shipped. It may be faster really depends how quick they sell , its just a matter of me packing it all together and such.

Please read the FAQ I have also posted some initial install instructions I plan to clean them up and make a video this weekend.

https://cheapdrainz.myshopify.com/products/pinsight-hdd

Also quick question, the screens are nicely sealed from the manufacture ...they will need the plastic bezel(just easily snaps on) and magnets placed on them(just stick on) I am leaning towards leaving the screens vacuum sealed and allowing you the customer to do those two things. Just seems better for shipping, and for the magnets gives you the option to use double sided tape if you want(but I suggest the magnets) .

Let me know If this is too much to ask

Adam

#84 2 years ago

P.S. Use code multiple if you buy more than one, $10 off each one since its less work and shipping for me I pass that on to you!

#85 2 years ago

In for one!

I'm fine with leaving the screens sealed, if the bezel and magnets are easy enough to affix... No strong preference either way, though.

#86 2 years ago

For now I am leaving them sealed up, the bezel and magnets take about 20 seconds. Seems worth it to protect the screen First few orders have shipped out, I have not sold all 100 in one day so I should be getting them out in a reasonable time frame Thanks for the interest, install and troubleshooting video to be made this weekend.

Also, any customers have good suggestions if I implement them in future products I will defintely hook you up in the future with either a free or discounted setup. This is V1, if it's popular I am all about making it better.

Also if I do make improvements down the line I will make sure to find a cost effective way to upgrade my customers. Hopefully we nailed it the first time though

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

For now I am leaving them sealed up, the bezel and magnets take about 20 seconds. Seems worth it to protect the screen First few orders have shipped out, I have not sold all 100 in one day so I should be getting them out in a reasonable time frame Thanks for the interest, install and troubleshooting video to be made this weekend.
    Also, any customers have good suggestions if I implement them in future products I will defintely hook you up in the future with either a free or discounted setup. This is V1, if it's popular I am all about making it better.
    Also if I do make improvements down the line I will make sure to find a cost effective way to upgrade my customers. Hopefully we nailed it the first time though

Can’t wait to get mine Friday!! Looking forward to the install video.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalkatt:

Can’t wait to get mine Friday!! Looking forward to the install video.

If you want to get it installed before I post the video feel free to contact me . There are instructions on the product page as well .

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

If you want to get it installed before I post the video feel free to contact me . There are instructions on the product page as well .

Got it today. Looks very cool. Going to install it tomorrow…I’ll let you know how it goes with pics of the installed unit!

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalkatt:

Got it today. Looks very cool. Going to install it tomorrow…I’ll let you know how it goes with pics of the installed unit!

Awesome I filmed a video on install tonight , will edit and post tomorrow . One lesson learned was be careful with the insider connected . I lifted my playfield and forgot the apron was not secured .. ripped the ethermet Jack right off the QR reader , ugh .

#91 2 years ago

This video may be helpful as far as connecting the HDMI adapter he said I could share .

#92 2 years ago

Install Video

Also reference the above posted video as extra credit

#93 2 years ago

All caught up on shipping.
    I have started a "Support Thread" the main intent here is to provide some info for current and new customers. But also help make the product better, there are lots of smart pinballers out there and I am all about improving this. It's V1 and I know its not perfect. If people offer great new suggestions that I implement I will gladly reward you on a future purchase. I think its a great idea and hope together we can make it even better!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsight-hdd-troubleshooting#post-6827477

#94 2 years ago

Received and installed today. Make sure you watch both installation videos otherwise you won't offset the connection an will receive a white screen.

IMG_20220315_175513167 (resized).jpgIMG_20220315_175513167 (resized).jpg
    #95 2 years ago

I just installed one in my JP Pre tonight also! Easy install, great instructional video, written instructions in the Pinsight HDD channel.
    I gotta say it's really an awesome mod! 30 minute install.

#96 2 years ago

JP prem for the win ! Yes definitely look closely at the pictures, the white connector you take out of th stern board needs to be offset by one set of pins you will see the right most pins have no wires so it's offset by one to make up for that . I'll try and edit my video to make it more clear .
    connector-both (resized).jpgconnector-both (resized).jpg

#97 2 years ago

Also if anyone is really good with molex connectors hit me up , I want to try and make the cable with the stern style connector on one end .. if it works I could see if they can make it overseas .

#98 2 years ago

or you could just indicate 'leave 5 pins uncovered on the black connector, and 3 on the white one." If that's right?

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

or you could just indicate 'leave 5 pins uncovered on the black connector, and 3 on the white one." If that's right?

I can do both ! It's hard to explain I'll get good pics and add that info , I knew this would trip people up .

#100 2 years ago

Any chance that your thinking how to implement this in other games? For me specifically SMVE and IMVE

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-pinsight-hdd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.