(Topic ID: 251179)

PinShield The original pinball glass and playfield protector.

By Pinshield

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 534 posts
  • 151 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Laithan
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230928_165835.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20230909_162132 (resized).jpg
    c7964700-e4dd-4f3f-9cb5-712d7f616064 (resized).jpeg
    5cbb7efe-65a5-401d-b328-c2182f57c0df (resized).jpeg
    20230907_074507 (resized).jpg
    acdc (resized).jpg
    met (resized).jpg
    PDC04135 (resized).JPG
    PDC04136 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blackjacker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#375 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I like the product itself, both as dust cover, protector for glass scratches and a nice place to put my tools when working on a game.
    The first times I removed my pinshields there were this white-ish square pattern on the glass matching the pattern on the shields. It can be removed by wiping a cloth on the glass. After that I scrubbed the pinshields underside with water and a cloth and let them dry. They still leave a barely visible square pattern on the glass though. I suspect it will get less and less over time and in the end probably stop appearing but it's a bit annoying right now having to clean the glas every time I remove the shields.
    Anyone else have this issue and any good way to get rid of it completely?
    Road show
    [quoted image]
    Addams, best seen on the rightmost side
    [quoted image]

Same with mine, on both PDI and Invisiglass. I’m going to clean the glass-facing side with Sprayway as mentioned elsewhere and see if that works.

1 year later
    #408 1 year ago
    Quoted from the1pinballwiz:

Where do I buy pinshields for my games? I googled pinsheild and typed in pinshield.com and nothing. I did get a notice that the domain name is for sale. Hey pinshield guy, better snag that! So far I haven't seen a post that says where to buy them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1214-pinshield/02863-pinshield-the-perfect-protector-amp-workspace-mat

1 month later
    #417 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Ok so I got my pinshields. They make a great work mat and look slick but I really bought them to prevent from having to clean the glass after long periods of not playing them. The problem is every time I put them, on I get this residue on my glass. I took them to my kitchen island and thoroughly washed them with dish soap to get everything off of them but the photo is what still happens. A little frustrating that they actually make the glass worse by using them.
    What can be done to prevent this?[quoted image]

It was suggested earlier in this thread to clean the glass-facing side of the PinShield with Sprayway or similar non-ammonia cleaner, as there may be some residue left from the packaging/rolling process.

I got those same marks with mine on PDI and Invisiglass, even after cleaning them, so I stopped using them. I may pull them back out and try another deep clean on them, as I do like their utility when I’m moving things or working in the game room and want to protect the glass.

See this post for one of the first mentions from someone else seeing these marks:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-pinshield-the-pinball-glass-and-playfield-protector/page/7#post-6498881

#420 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Mine is on PDI as well. So I guess you never found a solution? That's too bad. I figured scrubbing the crap out of them with dish soap would have gotten everything off that was going to come off. I've got some purple power, I'm going to give that a shot on one of them.

I only gave them one cleaning, but certainly didn't scrub the crap of them, and when I still saw the residue on the glass I put them away. I'll probably drag them back out when I have the time and give it another go. FWIW, mine are black.

9 months later
    #505 7 months ago
    Quoted from Laithan:

Hey all, so it has been just about a month since I became obsessed with finding some kind of solution to the Toxic sludge that oozes from these mats and serves you a life sentence of cleaning your glass. This has given me some good experience as to what to do and what not to do. Sharing the experiment with others because so far it actually works.. but it is far from glamorous.

TLDR; You can see the picture. Yes you can seal your mats and it no longer leaks Mothra's bowel movement on to your glass.

PROs
    ------
    * A "reasonable" modification that actually works.
    * Relatively inexpensive fix (that you shouldn't have to do). One can per mat (widebody or standard, one can is enough).
    * Easy to apply (but takes 4eva)

CONs
    ------
    * Mats will get slightly stiffer but are still flexible/rollable.
    * When rolling the mats over time the rubberized bottom (that you applied) will develop some small cracks eventually. Once the mat is unrolled and flat, the cracks seal back up again and seem to only be cosmetic (and hidden when using the mat). Other rubber sealants on the market could possibly be a little better in this regard. Gorilla is the only brand I tested.
    * Must have an outdoor location to apply the rubber sealant and also let it dry/CURE. PPE (masks etc. basically treat it like spray paint).
    * Requires 3 seperate coats to obtain 100% coverage. PIA because in between EACH coat (I applied 3) there is a 24-48 hour mandatory "cure time"..and trust me you don't want to skip any of them otherwise the rubber could remain tacky.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for your game or your mat but if you're like me, willing to experiment & don't GAF what it takes you just want the ooze to stop, come along for the ride, here is how to "SEAL" your PinShield!

(1) Lay it out on a flat surface. Use PPE. Apply first thin coat and you MUST spray all of the SIDES also. Wait at least 24 hours, 48 hours is defintiely better. Don't skip the cure time. If you have high humidity, 48 hours is mandatory.
    (2) Did you really wait 24-48 hours? If not it could become tacky. Apply 2nd coat. Wait at least 24 hours, 48 hours is defintiely better.
    (3) Finally apply 3rd coat. Wait at least 24 hours, 48 hours is defintiely better. Fun waiting!
    (4) You will notice an odor (like anything else you spray paint) but it goes away after a few more days. I just left it outside.
    (5) Lastly, now that it is fully dried and cured it must be cleaned. I rinsed the sides and bottom (not the top) off with water and gave it a quick clean. Let fully dry.

It took like an effin week I know I know lmao! but.. if you made it to the end of this marathon run, Congratulations your PinShield no longer excretes Camel snot and you just fired the glass cleaner! lol
    [quoted image]

Jesus Christ if someone (else) were to do this, they don't even need the PinShield at that point - just butter up a baking sheet, spray on a couple layers of Gorilla sealant and peel it off when it's dry.

As the black box/airplane joke goes... just make the entire thing out of sealant.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blackjacker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-pinshield-the-pinball-glass-and-playfield-protector?tu=Blackjacker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.