Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LDTF_TESTBOARD_(1).JPG
    LDTF_Testboard_TOP.JPG
    IMG_4996.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    backbox.jpg
    IMG_20130422_132919.jpg
    IMG_20130422_132207.jpg
    IMG_20130421_235442.jpg
    IMG_20130421_234451.jpg
    SAM_0443.jpg
    SAM_0438.jpg
    SAM_0431.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

johninc said:

Makes sense! PM me the details, I'd like a kit. Thanks.

Bump!

Hadn't forgot about you John (or anyone else waiting). Component parts have arrived and the boards should be here tomorrow. I was waiting until I had all the stuff on hand before offering more. I'll get you a PayPal invoice shortly. Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,

Phil

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I should probably get some of these. Is there another project in the wings after this one?

I've got more parts on the way to offer more of these. Waiting until I get boards in hand before offering the LDTF's.

The next product is the SDTF (Solenoid Driver Test Fixture). I'm finishing testing the latest version of the prototype and hope to offer these real soon (before the end of this month).

Thanks for your interest!

#53 10 years ago

Received my 2 kits the other day,assembly is easy ,great kits,thanks Phil.
    One suggestion though maybe make the power lead a little longer to accommodate aftermarket rectifier boards with pads for test points.

#54 10 years ago

PM sent last week for a kit. Thanks!

#55 10 years ago

pm sent.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Great question! The top two LED's are not connected .... I could not find any LED bar graphs in any multiple that would give me 28, so I used three 10 LED components.

There is a simple way, to make an 8-LED-component from your 10-LED-component. As in the 10-LED-component you use there are 10 single LEDs, you can simply grind down 2 of the segments with a belt sander like in this picture http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/DM_Belt_Sander.jpg.

I always do this, when I do not get the correct numbers of LEDs I want to have. If you grind down very carefully, it looks really nice and anybody can´t see.

- Ingo

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

PM sent last week for a kit. Thanks!

Yep, saw it. As soon as the new boards arrive I'll get it right out. Thanks.

Phil

#58 10 years ago

One suggestion though maybe make the power lead a little longer to accommodate aftermarket rectifier boards with pads for test points.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can easily accommodate that in future releases.

Also, you can attach the power lead to the switched illumination bus bare wires on the back side of the board where the displays are mounted in (example pic below).

Best regards,
    Phil

backbox.jpgbackbox.jpg

#59 10 years ago

Phil, how much wattage do the 100 Ohm wire-wound esistors have, you use? I suppose they are 0,5 W, correct?

- Ingo

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

Phil, how much wattage do the 100 Ohm wire-wound esistors have, you use? I suppose they are 0,5 W, correct?

- Ingo

Ingo, the discrete resistors (simulating the load) are 1W.

Best regards,

Phil

#61 10 years ago

Ok, update.

New boards finally arrived (held up in Customs for some unknown reason). I'll be sending PayPal invoices out to those that recently asked for one of the versions and getting them out very quickly.

Thanks again for your interest!

Phil

1 week later
    #62 10 years ago

Rcvd kit, assembly to follow! Thanx!

#63 10 years ago

I don't think I ever got the invoice.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

I don't think I ever got the invoice.

Sorry John, thought I sent it. Am currently traveling but will send it shortly. Please accept my apologies. You'll have it in a few minutes.

Phil

#65 10 years ago

No worries. I'll pm you my paypal address.

#66 10 years ago

Thanks for your understanding John. I get back early Wednesday and will get it shipped to you that afternoon.

Phil

#67 10 years ago

1) All parts inventoried and instructions skimmed. Pretty self explanatory.

2) Halfway there?

3) Looks like the picture. Let's give her a test, shall we?

IMG_4984.JPGIMG_4984.JPG IMG_4985.JPGIMG_4985.JPG IMG_4989.JPGIMG_4989.JPG

#68 10 years ago

Total assembly time - 30 min. Much more satisfying since I got that Hakko. Easily done and a good tool. Took your suggestion to use the 5VDC running through the back board lights. This Bally model has the power board (and transformer) just forward of the coin box. Works as advertised. Eagerly anticipating your next project.

Tested on my Black Pyramid.

IMG_4996.JPGIMG_4996.JPG

#69 10 years ago

Phil,

again thanks for this great board, it really simplyfies testing the SCRs.

As you know - you have an idea and not a short time later, this idea is copycatted, you know, what I am speaking of.

In a later design, you could make the board a bit smaller and more handy, if you want.

I have made a nice design, I added a part (KEYSTONE 534-5010) as TP1, to take HHaase´s suggestion above to put an additional grab point on the board, to easy daisy-chain the 5v to other boards.

Attached is a layout-photo of the board, I hope you like it. The new size of the board is 52x94mm only.

If you have interest, I will send you the layout files in gerber-format, so you can use like you want and can save a bit time.

To make it clear: I do not want to steal your board or let it produce in any way, its only a suggestion and help for you, to make your nice and perfect board to become the absolute ultimate LDTF.

- Ingo

LDTF_Testboard_TOP.JPGLDTF_Testboard_TOP.JPG

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Tested on my Black Pyramid.

Mk1Mod0,

Looks like it wasn't much trouble to put together. I'm glad that you find it a helpful tool.

Had to make some major changes to the next test fixture causing a board change. Back to the fab house for another prototype board.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the LDTF.

Best regards,
    Phil

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

Phil,

again thanks for this great board, it really simplyfies testing the SCRs.

Ingo,

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you enjoy it.

Your design of the board looks very good! It looks like you used a "copper pour" method. Unfortunately for me, I not that skilled in that area of board design yet. I especially like the compact nature of this design. I also like fact that your design does not use vias. That must be a result of your expertise. I would gladly accept a copy of the gerber files for this. Thank you. Perhaps you could share a bit of your expertise on general printed circuit board design so that others can increase their knowledge.

I took the suggestion by Hans to add a grab point for voltages and filed it away for future designs. It is a very good suggestion. It definitely makes these types of testers more versatile.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Phil

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Perhaps you could share a bit of your expertise on general printed circuit board design so that others can increase their knowledge.

+1

#73 10 years ago

Ingo,
    Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you enjoy it.
    Your design of the board looks very good! It looks like you used a "copper pour" method. Unfortunately for me, I not that skilled in that area of board design yet. I especially like the compact nature of this design. I also like fact that your design does not use vias. That must be a result of your expertise. I would gladly accept a copy of the gerber files for this. Thank you. Perhaps you could share a bit of your expertise on general printed circuit board design so that others can increase their knowledge.
    I took the suggestion by Hans to add a grab point for voltages and filed it away for future designs. It is a very good suggestion. It definitely makes these types of testers more versatile.
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Phil

Hi Phil,

thanks. You can make the board even a little bit smaller by mounting the 3 resistor networks to the bottom of the board directly under the LED-arrays, which should the be socketed.

I will put everything together during this week and will send you all the gerber data files and some photos, where you can see the layout detailed, if you want to make it with your own layout software.

The board now is 46,3 x 94,5 mm, very handy and could like this:

LDTF_TESTBOARD_(1).JPGLDTF_TESTBOARD_(1).JPG

Best regards

Ingo

#74 10 years ago

Love this design been in contact about purchasing one looking forward to it a few years back I made a tester with 28 globe sockets in a frame did the job but is only about 400 times larger than this little beauty

1 month later
    #75 10 years ago

I have a question Phil or anyone else who is familiar with this test board. I am using it on a Harlem Globetrotters and I am trying to understand what the test board is telling me. On the lamp board I measured a good +5v across TP2 and TP1.

Right now, all controlled lamps except for a few on the backbox are not working. I put the game in lamp test and all controlled lamps are out except just a few flashing on backbox like "game over", "high score to date", etc. All the rest of the controlled lamps are always dark.

Now I tried the LDTF board in all 3 connectors on the lamp board. In each of the 3 positions, the correct LED's were solidly lit. The game was put in lamp test mode, when connected to each connector. So, I expected to see some flashing LEDs when the LDTF was connected to J2 but I did not. I only saw the correct LEDs stay on solid with no flashing. Is that normal?

What is the LDTF board trying to tell me or any ideas on the problem?

#76 10 years ago

Also I forgot to mention, when LDTF board is connected to J1 & J3, all the correct LEDs were on solid and not flashing.

#77 10 years ago

Ok, when the LDTF is connected AND in self-test (lamps) the LDTF led's should flash (regardless of which "port" it is connected to J1, J2, J3). As you know the Lamp driver board takes a binary address from the MPU and sends it to the Lamp Driver board, which in turn decodes that address and switches a ground (logic low) to the respective SCR to light the lamp.

If in test mode, the Game Over and HSTD lamps are blinking, that indicates that Q33 and Q15 (and all associated circuitry, respectively) are working properly. You should get the appropriate leds on the LDTF to blink as well (in this instance you'll be plugged onto J2). If they do not flash, that is not normal.

I've sent you a PM so that you can contact me to help you work through this. One way or the other we'll get this working.

#78 10 years ago

I just got off the phone with Phil and we determined my Harlem Globetrotters lamp board is working fine. First, I need to say what a great product this is and great support from Phil!

The mistake I made was plugging the power to the test board into the test point directly on the lamp driver board. When I moved the power connector over to the +5v coming directly off the power supply, it works great and I can see all the LEDs flashing correctly. As an alternate source of +5v, the metal wire running along the backbox controlled lamps also is a handy source (but make sure you don't accidentially tap into AC for the GI).

It looks like my lamp board is fine and I need to double check the wiring going to lamps. Probably just missing the +5v going to the playfield somehow.

This LDTF is an awesome time saver, letting me get my game playable much faster than without.

#79 10 years ago

Glad I was able to help you with this. It was my pleasure talking with you last night. It's good to hear that the LDTF is working as it should. Good luck with the rest of your troubleshooting!

Phil

2 months later
    #80 10 years ago

Phil,

Are any of these testers still available? If yes I'll need them shipped to New Zealand. I say them 'cos the solenoid tester looks interesting.

Jon

7 months later
    #81 9 years ago

Do you offer a package deal for all of your testers in kit form to be shipped at the same time to the same address?

#82 9 years ago

I will once the solenoid tester is complete. I've had to change the design of it twice now and am working on the third iteration now.

#83 9 years ago

Although I don't work on this era of games, I'll take a complete set of your testers once the designs are final, on the chance that someone might want one repaired in my shop.

#84 9 years ago

@Half_Life:

Oops, sorry, I really forgot to send you the Gerber-files of my design as promised 10 months ago. I am very sorry for that.

If you do not want to make the work twice, I can send you the files at once. I still have them and I do not need them for my own purposes. You are the "father" of this tester and nobody should steel your idee,
    So simply send me a message and you will get the data. You can view them perfectly with GC-Preview, download the free version here: http://www.graphicode.com/GC-Prevue

- Ingo

#85 9 years ago

How far out do you think the solenoid tester is from being ready for public sale?

2 years later
    #86 7 years ago

Phil,

Are any of these LDTF and SDTF testers still available? If yes I'll need them shipped to Germany, or do you have a distributor in Germany.

Wolle

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolle:

Phil,
    Are any of these LDTF and SDTF testers still available? If yes I'll need them shipped to Germany, or do you have a distributor in Germany.
    Wolle

if not look here http://pinitech.com/products/cat_diagnostic.php

#88 7 years ago

Hey Wolle,

Yes, I still have some in stock that I can ship to you. I have some assembled and some kits. Please let me know if you're interested in either. Thanks.

Phil

6 years later
    #89 1 year ago

I would like a tester, unassembled would be ok, or whatever you have. Do you still have any of these?

-Pat

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-new-test-fixture-for-early-ss-ballystern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.