Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LDTF_TESTBOARD_(1).JPG
    LDTF_Testboard_TOP.JPG
    IMG_4996.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    backbox.jpg
    IMG_20130422_132919.jpg
    IMG_20130422_132207.jpg
    IMG_20130421_235442.jpg
    IMG_20130421_234451.jpg
    SAM_0443.jpg
    SAM_0438.jpg
    SAM_0431.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Fellow Pinsider's,

For the last few months I have taken a break from doing actual restorations. I've had several ideas floating around in my brain that wanted to get out. They have and here's a small sample of one.

I have created a Lamp Driver Test Fixture that can be used to assist in troubleshooting early Bally and Stern Lamp Driver boards. I'm attempting to make troubleshooting the early SS pins a bit easier, especially for a novice. This first product can be used in the game (using the machines built-in test function) or on a test bench (the latter assumes you know how to apply input signals to drive the lamps). This is not a completely new idea; it has been done before, albeit simpler. I modified it so that this test fixture actually simulates the load of the incandescent lamps. In this way, the SCR's see the same load as if in a game which can help spot a weak SCR that breaks down under load.

The premise is simple; the led bar graph will illuminate the respective led when the SCR (on the lamp driver board) is gated. A silk-screened chart (to the right of the led bar graphs) has three columns labeled J1, J2 and J3. Within those columns list the SCR (or Q#) associated with that J connector. Where the column contains an XX, that indicates no connection (no associated SCR). The alligator clip lead (which supplies power to the test fixture) attaches to the switched illumination bus (either on the backboard or on TP1 of the Rectifier board). This method will help narrow down where the issue with an "unlit" controlled lamp is; either on the driver board itself or in the wiring/lamp socket.

I have included a few pics and a short video below so you can get an idea of what it is and how it works.

[url]

[/url]

Right now I am gauging interest in this product to determine if there is sufficient demand to make more. I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on a Solenoid Driver Test Fixture and will offer that one soon. I am also in the second phase of creating another device that will work with these two boards (LDTF and SDTF) that will allow complete testing (on the bench) of the early SS Lamp Driver and Solenoid Driver boards.

If there is enough interest, I will ask for $40 shipped anywhere in the continental US. If the demand is higher then the price will go down. To get the pcbs manufactured will take approximately 10 days and then another 2 days for assembly.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

SAM_0431.jpgSAM_0431.jpg SAM_0438.jpgSAM_0438.jpg SAM_0443.jpgSAM_0443.jpg

#2 11 years ago

That's pretty awesome.

#3 11 years ago

I will take one. I may never use it but I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff. PM me when you are ready. No rush on mine as I don't currently have an old B/S. But I do want one.
    And also maybe the SDB tester. Would have to get more details.

#4 11 years ago

Im VERY interested in the sol board tester!

#5 11 years ago

Nice.
    Would you consider selling as a "kit" for user assembly?
    Might be a good "soldering" project for newbs.

I'd be interested in the other boards you mention, to bench test solenoid driver boards and lamp boards.

--
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 11 years ago

They both sound like good products to have in the tool box!

#7 11 years ago

I would possibly be interested since I'm restoring my Stern Flight 2000.

#8 11 years ago

Nicely done. I always wanted to do something for Bally/classic Stern machines, but never worked with them enough to really make anything that I felt comfortable selling in larger numbers. Glad to see somebody else picked up the ball on these.

From experience, the interest should be there for them. The only change I'd make is to put an additional grab point on there so you can daisy-chain the 5v to other boards. Easy to start crowding available 5v test points unless you start providing more of them.

-Hans

#9 11 years ago

That looks great. I'll take one when your done.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Nice.
    Would you consider selling as a "kit" for user assembly?

Good idea Chris! Hadn't thought of that.

Ok, how about a "kit" price of $30 shipped anywhere in the US. Any interest in that option?

Thanks.

Phil

#11 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and interest, both here and via PM. I sincerely appreciate it!

#12 11 years ago

I'll take one. thats a great price.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Good idea Chris! Hadn't thought of that.
    Ok, how about a "kit" price of $30 shipped anywhere in the US. Any interest in that option?
    Thanks.
    Phil

Well...obviously me...I'll take a kit...and have my daughter assemble it. Should be fun.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

3 weeks later
    #14 11 years ago

I want one. How do I get it?

#15 11 years ago

I will take 2 thanks and interested in the SDB tester too

#16 11 years ago

Ok, update here.

I got enough interest to get these going. The first out the door will be the LDTF. I've ordered the boards from the fab house. I've also ordered all of the parts. Both the boards and the parts should arrive later this week.

For the second board, the SDTF, I made a couple changes to the design and am waiting on a prototype board to come back to test the changes. I don't have a price for this one yet, but plan to keep it at or near the same price as the LDTF.

Again, thanks. I'll get these out as quickly as I can.

#17 11 years ago

UPDATE #2

First batch of LDTF (lamp driver test fixture) boards and parts are in. For those interested in the "kit" version (you solder the parts), I can ship those immediately. Kits are $30.00 shipped anywhere in the US. The fully assembled/tested version is $40.00 shipped anywhere in the US. Outside the US, we can work something out based upon where you are.

If interested in either version, send me a PM with your choice of either "kit" or pre-assembled version along with your email and mailing address and I'll send you a PayPal invoice. I'll work on a website and alternative pay system later but wanted to make these boards available now.

Thanks again for the interest.

Phil

#18 11 years ago

Update #3

I shipped 10 orders yesterday, most to US and one to Australia (thanks Gibo). I'll ship out a few more today. The orders seem to be split evenly among both versions.

Many thank to all that ordered. Once you receive your item and use it, I would appreciate your honest feedback.

Phil

#19 11 years ago

i will take one phil

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

... most to US and one to Australia ...
    Phil

Then Germany must not be missing

I want a kit shipped to germany. Please send me a PM about the complete price and I will pay at once by paypal.

- Ingo

#21 11 years ago

I'll take 2 fully assembled ones. Can you use postal service USPS to Canada. Thanks
    B3L 3Y2 is my postal code, let me know the total

#22 11 years ago

It will take a few weeks to get here but will let you know

#23 11 years ago

What a great item and service! Thanks!!

#24 11 years ago

I am interested in getting a lamp tester board that is assembled and tested and will look at get the solenoid tester when complete. I was about to design and build my own bench tester but this will save me a ton of work. Thanks!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I'll take 2 fully assembled ones. Can you use postal service USPS to Canada. Thanks
    B3L 3Y2 is my postal code, let me know the total

Thanks John. I sent you a PM. I can definitely send to Canada.

Phil

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from DallasPinball:

I am interested in getting a lamp tester board that is assembled and tested and will look at get the solenoid tester when complete. I was about to design and build my own bench tester but this will save me a ton of work. Thanks!

Thanks for your interest. I sent you a PM.

Phil

#27 11 years ago

Thanks for making this, just ordered the LDTF. I am looking forward to your SDTF board when it's available.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Thanks for making this, just ordered the LDTF. I am looking forward to your SDTF board when it's available.

Thanks for your order. Yours is going out tomorrow morning with a half-dozen others. I'm hoping to wrap up testing on the SDTF prototype and get it into production real soon.

Phil

#29 11 years ago

Someone had asked me in an email if the parts were surface mount or through-hole. I am designing all my boards using through-hole parts so that anyone that can solder can change any part that may need it.

I am playing around with a SMT design but that's just for me to keep the brain working.

#30 11 years ago

Received mine today. Thanks for a great product and fast delivery. I will let you know how it works.

#31 11 years ago

I received mine over the weekend. Super fast delivery! I built it last night and will plug it into a machine today and try it out.

#32 11 years ago

pics of the assembly of the kit

IMG_20130421_234451.jpgIMG_20130421_234451.jpg IMG_20130421_235442.jpgIMG_20130421_235442.jpg

#33 11 years ago

my soldering needs improvement so this is good practice

#34 11 years ago

OK I just tested it. First picture is LDTF installed on J1.

Does it mean I have problems with Q4, Q7, Q12, Q14

IMG_20130422_132207.jpgIMG_20130422_132207.jpg

#35 11 years ago

Here's J3. Everything is good on this one I guess?

IMG_20130422_132919.jpgIMG_20130422_132919.jpg

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

I misunderstood the silkscreening at first. For some reason I thought the first 2 LEDs was connected and I had to count. Now I understand the numbers line up with the LED.

Looks like on J1 everything is correct ?

#37 11 years ago

What are the top two LEDs for?

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

OK I just tested it. First picture is LDTF installed on J1.

Nope. No problems at all. That's a good looking J1 output.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Here's J3. Everything is good on this one I guess?

Yes, everything is looking good on J3. Exactly right.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Now I understand the numbers line up with the LED.

My apologies, I was not clear on the fact that the LEDS line up with an associated SCR Q#.

Quoted from Spybryon:

Looks like on J1 everything is correct ?

Yes, what you see on J1 is a good output and correct.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

What are the top two LEDs for?

Great question! The top two LED's are not connected to any Lamp Driver board output. With this test fixture, I am monitoring 28 pins with the LED bar graph components. I could not find any LED bar graphs in any multiple that would give me 28, so I used three 10 LED components.

I had considered using single led's but quickly ran out of real estate as I was trying to keep the footprint small. My intent there was it could be thrown in a tool bag for quick and easy troubleshooting in the field.

The last two pins of the Resistor Network (at the top of the board) are also not connected to an output but are connected to their respective LED (27 & 28). These could be used in a pinch but the tech would have to know how to correlate them to the correct SCR. In the case of a failure of an LED segment, I would recommend a replacement of that particular LED bar graph.

#42 11 years ago

One thing with this device is that after you use it a few times, you'll quickly note when something is not right with the board under test. You'll easily know which LED's are to be off for a particular J connection.

#43 11 years ago

Got my payment in for 2 Thanks! I'm in no rush if you want to wait shipping on my 2.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

I could not find any LED bar graphs in any multiple that would give me 28, so I used three 10 LED components.

Makes sense! PM me the details, I'd like a kit. Thanks.

#45 11 years ago

Thanks for making this test board, very useful!

#46 11 years ago

WOW!! LDTF is currently sold out. Don't worry though, more on the way from the pcb fab house (due next week). I'll have additional components later this week.

I cannot thank you all enough for your support of this device. I sincerely appreciate it!

1 week later
    #47 10 years ago

Received my LDTF today. Thanks Phil for this nice product and fast shipping to germany. I will solder this weekend and post some photos.

- Ingo

#48 10 years ago

I should probably get some of these. Is there another project in the wings after this one?

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

Makes sense! PM me the details, I'd like a kit. Thanks.

Bump!

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

Received my LDTF today. Thanks Phil for this nice product and fast shipping to germany. I will solder this weekend and post some photos.

- Ingo

Thanks Ingo! Glad it made it safely. Definitely would like to get your (and anyone else that ordered one) feedback.

Best regards,

Phil

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-new-test-fixture-for-early-ss-ballystern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.