Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

highspeed_pf.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    12606792895892144355174.jpg
    IMG_1961(1).jpg
    1274027_598808480171371_1979841479_o.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Metallica_Pro_PF.jpg
    fr_382.jpg
    IMG_2892.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    IMAG0322.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    leds.JPG
    There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
    #601 10 years ago

Even if such a thing is possible, would it fit inside the bulb housing in the required cap/resistor values? And I'm not sure about what such a thing would cost, but when you start looking at 350-500$ to LED out a modern game with large numbers of inserts.....yeah, makes Herg's board look reasonable by comparison.

#602 10 years ago

It would be ideal for GI though. We already have the above mentioned solution for controlled lamps. I know Herg said he was looking into a board that would filter and fade the entire GI circuit but he doesn't believe it will be feasible even with the small current draw of LEDs compared to incandescents.

Or it can be something completely different like the standard LEDs we have now with a light persistent cap on them coated with some form of compound that lights up slowly and remains lit when light is removed.

#603 10 years ago

Sorry, if I should not post this in the thread of the supplier, but I'm just answering.

Even, if I have not tested personally, the Optiflux LEDs from SuperfluxShop have a build-in capacitor, which should slightly fade the LEDs.

There is also a video, but I have to admit that I have trouble to identify the effect.

#604 10 years ago

Thanks for posting that. Their site is hard to navigate though. Can you post a link to this LED?

#605 10 years ago

Looked at their Theater of Magic video and didn't see anything special about those LEDs. Any input PBB?

2 weeks later
    #606 10 years ago

Is there an LED that operates at different light intensities with varying voltage? I'm thinking of Stern's 2007 Spiderman where the bulbs operate at different light intensities depending on how many time the villians have been defeated (amongst other things).

#607 10 years ago
    Quoted from ikrananka:

Is there an LED that operates at different light intensities with varying voltage? I'm thinking of Stern's 2007 spiderman where the bulbs operate at different light intensities depending on how many time the villians have been defeated (amongst other things).

That sounds like it could be pretty useful, but nothing currently like that we are carrying. I will look into that direction though!

#608 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

That sounds like it could be pretty useful, but nothing currently like that we are carrying. I will look into that direction though!

Great - I'll keep a look out for updates.

#609 10 years ago

If you can make a simple fading LED that gradually fades on and fades off at the rate of a miniature incandescent that would be a breakthrough in retro pinball lighting. Really all you would need is a resistor in series with a cap, put those 2 in parallel with the LED. Voltage applied, resistor slowly charges the cap and brightens the LED. Voltage removed, cap drains and LED fades off. Also, the LED itself acts as a half-wave rectifier for AC GI circuits, and 60 pulses per second should still be plenty of power to keep the LED lit at a steady brightness.

If you can pull off a fading warm white that would be amazing. Even more so if you can do it for under $1 per LED! It's something that hasn't been done before and would really help games that like to flash GI become not so disorienting, not to mention it would be one step further to an ideal incandescent LED replacement!

#610 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

If you can make a simple fading LED that gradually fades on and fades off at the rate of a miniature incandescent that would be a breakthrough in retro pinball lighting. Really all you would need is a resistor in series with a cap, put those 2 in parallel with the LED. Voltage applied, resistor slowly charges the cap and brightens the LED. Voltage removed, cap drains and LED fades off. Also, the LED itself acts as a half-wave rectifier for AC GI circuits, and 60 pulses per second should still be plenty of power to keep the LED lit at a steady brightness.
    If you can pull off a fading warm white that would be amazing. Even more so if you can do it for under $1 per LED! It's something that hasn't been done before and would really help games that like to flash GI become not so disorienting, not to mention it would be one step further to an ideal incandescent LED replacement!

Well, sounds like a lot more circuitry added compared to the non-ghosting bulbs and those are over $1, just barely.Doesn't seem like it would be a cost effective bulb, but it always has been something we have worked on! Hopefully we can get it created!

#611 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

If you can pull off a fading warm white that would be amazing. Even more so if you can do it for under $1 per LED!

Oh hell yeah, if you can pull that off I'd buy soooo many. just sayin. You'd sell the proverbial $h!tton!

1 week later
    #612 10 years ago

Wow, you're clearly copying CoinTaker!

The difference between a game with LEDs and then a game with PinballBulbs LED Kit. The spotlights and LED strips make quite the difference!

1274027_598808480171371_1979841479_o.jpg1274027_598808480171371_1979841479_o.jpg

2 weeks later
    #613 10 years ago

Sorry about bumping an old thread, I came across it while looking for some LEDs to outfit one of my games.

In any event with regards to dimming - LED lamps require a pulse width modulation circuit to "dim" and even then it is limited. A LED requires a min voltage to "turn on" (electrons start to flow) and remains on until the voltage drops below this threshold, increasing this voltage past the "turn on" voltage does not make it brighter. Unfortunately it is not a as simple process as incandescent bulbs which dim as voltage drops. So, no adding resistors/caps will not help.

BTW - awesome the way the Fish Tales playfield is lit in the posted pictures, an improvement for sure.

#614 10 years ago

Pinballbulbs kits look fantastic! The ONLY things that could make them look better is a 20% off Pinsider / Halloween sale

#615 10 years ago

More variety please. And colour changers. Love pinballbulbs though.

#616 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Pinballbulbs kits look fantastic! The ONLY things that could make them look better is a 20% off Pinsider / Halloween sale

Some already are 20% off comparatively In fact, if you compare our kits and our regular bulbs and all the items you get there is no "kit markup". It's just the cost and everything put together.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

More variety please. And colour changers. Love pinballbulbs though.

Besides color changers, what sorts of variety are you looking for?

#617 10 years ago

Stuff like ultra brights and those ones that go in the pop bumpers Like this:

IMG_1961(1).jpgIMG_1961(1).jpg

OR LIKE THIS TO GO IN THE POPS OR JUST GI

IMG_1915.jpgIMG_1915.jpg

#618 10 years ago

ones that go in the pop bumpers Like this:

OR LIKE THIS TO GO IN THE POPS OR JUST GI

I wouldn't bother with stuff like that. Tried them and they are crap compared to what you already have in the line up.
    I would like blinkers in colors other than cool and warm. And colored flex blinkers

#619 10 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

I wouldn't bother with stuff like that. Tried them and they are crap compared to what you already have in the line up.
    I would like blinkers in colors other than cool and warm. And colored flex blinkers

There are only three bulbs in the line up now, clear, frosted and flex. Need some variety. Need some really bright ones. I tried frosted in the bumpers and not bright enough for my tastes.

#620 10 years ago

Definitely on board with this! Tested those style of bulbs are no brighter than what we have and a mess of a bulb. Blinkers are in the mix coming up!

#621 10 years ago

What are blinkers??

#622 10 years ago

Definitely on board with this! Tested those style of bulbs are no brighter than what we have and a mess of a bulb. Blinkers are in the mix coming up!

I'll tell you what you need. You need a "double " flex bulb with 2 separate lights on two separate flexy thingies (sorry to get technical). That way you can increase the "spread" in larger inserts but even better, you can aim them in different directions. Maybe even have some with 2 different colors. The pinball center in Europe has these and I think it's just brilliant. I'm always looking for ways to throw light in more directions. This is a way.

#623 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You need a "double " flex bulb with 2 separate lights on two separate flexy thingies (sorry to get technical).

Hey PBB, that TOTAN I traded you had some of those under the spinning lamp if you want to see what he's talking about. They are REALLY handy for larger spots like that and the "hot dog" shaped inserts.
    Oh, and are those yellows back in stock?

#624 10 years ago

Hey PBB, that TOTAN I traded you had some of those under the spinning lamp if you want to see what he's talking about. They are REALLY handy for larger spots like that and the "hot dog" shaped inserts.
    Oh, and are those yellows back in stock?

Yup! Yellows are back, pretty sure I added to site a few dyays back but let me kn ow if you don't see anything. Everything is quite in stock currently, except the WoZ kits which are being made and shipped as fast as possible.

#625 10 years ago

Are your yellows as "weak" in color output as what I've seen from other vendors? I bought some 5 LED high outputs (look like your flashers...might BE your flashers) from CT and they just seemed blah, like every other yellow I've ever seen in any style.

#626 10 years ago

Are your yellows as "weak" in color output as what I've seen from other vendors? I bought some 5 LED high outputs (look like your flashers...might BE your flashers) from CT and they just seemed blah, like every other yellow I've ever seen in any style.

Yellow just plain sucks. I don't bother with them. Use warm white under yellow inserts, they look WAY better than a yellow LED does.

#627 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yellow just plain sucks. I don't bother with them. Use warm white under yellow inserts, they look WAY better than a yellow LED does.

On my last Pinballbulbs order they sent me a pink sample with a note attached to try it under a yellow insert, so I did. I can't really wrap my brain around it but it looks great.

#628 10 years ago

Ya. Yellow (and orange) should never be used other than say playfield signs where yellow is required to be seen by the eye. This is why we keep stock so low on these two colors. All our kits use either pink, warm white, or cool white to light yellow and orange inserts. These provide bright and nice tones of yellow under a yellow plastic. On my pirates, warm white was used on GI areas that should be golden. On cactus canyon, pink was used in the GI under the yellow side plastics and you cant really even tell its pink. On monster bash, we are using pink in the golden pop caps and warm white in the GI in the golden area by the mummy. Just some examples.

#629 10 years ago

What are blinkers??

#631 10 years ago

Bulbs that blink
    » YouTube video

I'm excited to jump on board an try these. I have two sets of optiflux installed, Tron and Spiderman.
    I'm very interested in seeing how your kits/bulbs compare - as I've got MM and MB along with the Woz kit on order.
    I did use the 10% pinsider discount (if there is a 20% discount I missed, I'm bummed).

Will you be at Chicago Expo?
    Will you do a LOTR kit?

#632 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

I'm excited to jump on board an try these. I have two sets of optiflux installed, Tron and spiderman.
    I'm very interested in seeing how your kits/bulbs compare - as I've got MM and MB along with the Woz kit on order.
    I did use the 10% pinsider discount (if there is a 20% discount I missed, I'm bummed).
    Will you be at Chicago Expo?
    Will you do a LOTR kit?

No 20% off code so you didn't miss out. Our kits are already cheaper than most competitors and come with a lot more in them!

Unfortunately, we won't be at the expo this year

We have an LOTR so we can definitely get you a kit made up. Ill see if we can get that one going this week.

#633 10 years ago

Can't wait to get my new kits!
    Markmon, it's about time you started offering some LED kits!
    Nice work guys.
    -and appreciate the 10% off discount.

Good luck!

#634 10 years ago

I just added a flipper area illumination kit to Avengers and I'm very happy with it. Good job PinballBulbs!

I also bought a pair of the double spotlights. Markmon, any pics of where you placed yours?

#635 10 years ago

Yeah I just finished adding the kit to my JM and it is outstanding !!!

It's even *better* than the pic they have on their site as they have upped their game and it now adds 6 spotlights to the PF (3 double headers). Purple is the way to go with the spots as it does NOT look too purple at all - just lights up the PF and makes the colors POP. If you do red or blue it simply colors over your PF artwork so Mark and James have a great plan happening...

The hidden led strip by the flippers not only looks super cool but really helps your play as you can see everything happening down there - then with the added led strip at the back of the PF this is far more than a simple led swap.
    My kid came to see it (machine is kept in folk's basement) and his eyes were like saucers... and I had already warned him it was awesome in advance... ha

Not a bad bulb in the bunch btw - plus the ability to pop off the frosted cover to get a "super bright" is a cool plus...
    nice guys too. Never to busy to reply.

Ok enough gushing here... I'm usually the more crabby cynical type

#636 10 years ago

which led bulb replaces my old 455?

#637 10 years ago
    Quoted from wolftownjeff:

which led bulb replaces my old 455?

A 455 is basically a 44 blinker. Pinballbulbs doesn't carry this. I doubt the demand is high enough to try to carry those.

#638 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

A 455 is basically a 44 blinker. Pinballbulbs doesn't carry this. I doubt the demand is high enough to try to carry those.

Cointaker carries these - http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=88DE90EC27696F2C534F63BE77B00736.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=82

But PinballBulbs did state around a week ago that they were working on offering these themselves.

#639 10 years ago

1. Do you guys not carry warm white flashers?

2. Any chance of getting cyan colors?

3. What is the pinside discount code?

#640 10 years ago

1. Not currently and it was intentional. Is there a good use for them under a certain colored cap? I can see possibly placing under really large white inserts, but cool whites are so popular for that it didn't seem highly useful, but let me know.

2. Yeah, another color in the works too actually.

3. pinside

2 weeks later
    #641 10 years ago

Lots of new kits added and the "mini-kits" for each game are being made!

#642 10 years ago

Thanks James - the Transformers kit looks awesome! The instructions were great and made the conversion very quick and painless.

#643 10 years ago

Hey guys love my Tron kit... Quick question is there a way to tie the supplied light strip that mounts above the light cycles into the GI so it doesn't stay on all the time?
    Thanks

#644 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spyder99945:

Thanks James - the Transformers kit looks awesome! The instructions were great and made the conversion very quick and painless.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey guys love my Tron kit... Quick question is there a way to tie the supplied light strip that mounts above the light cycles into the GI so it doesn't stay on all the time?
    Thanks

Shoot us a quick email [email protected] and we can look into some hacks for that!

3 weeks later
    #645 10 years ago

anything for Black Friday or Cyber Monday ?

#646 10 years ago

I am looking for a LED kit for High Speed II.

I didn't see one on your site, anyone have recommendations ?

regards,

Steve

#647 10 years ago
    Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

regards,
    Steve

Just made the kit last night and sent to James to post. Please email [email protected] and James will take care of you. Picture taken in a pitch dark room without any ambient lighting. Color tones always suck in photos taken in the dark. It doesn't look as pink in real person.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks

So the strips require 12v. You'd have to tie it into the GI circuits with something like a pig2. That would trap the 5v input and still allow a 12v output.

#648 10 years ago
    Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

regards,
    Steve

I am out of town, but was able to get it added. PM sent aswell

http://pinballbulbs.com/products/getaway-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

#649 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

anything for Black Friday or Cyber Monday ?

bump

#650 10 years ago

Yup! Big time sale announcement coming tomorrow and will be the whole weekend!!

There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-new-led-company-free-bulbs-pinside-discount/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.