Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Pyromedic
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95876675_10157871896561487_1786839006546231296_n (resized).jpg
    cabinet-20230914 (resized).jpg
    cabinet-20230320-2 (resized).jpg
    cabinet-20230320 (resized).jpg
    cabinet-20230224 (resized).jpg
    DBEFE754-5B07-4F31-B586-11E6EAB5CCC9 (resized).jpeg
    spaten (resized).PNG
    playfield-20220726-CC-1 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220807-cabinet1 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220807-wiring1 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220807-wiring5 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220606 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220306-1 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220306-2 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220306-3 (resized).jpg
    playfield-20220306-4 (resized).jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I wanted to share with the community my progress on my first homebrew pinball machine based on the movie Beerfest (same crew that did Super Troopers). It's been an awesome adventure so far! I've been documenting my progress at https://ohmbrew.net/pinball-machine, check out all the cool pics and videos there! I'm waiting on a cabinet from virtuapin.net, complete with backbox, speakers, a display, and all the accessories. I'll be sure to update this when I get this sucker up and running full size.

I'm running P3-ROC, and have the basic framework up and running in MPF, complete with some music and sound effects for various targets and some basic light shows. I have the base mode running, my next task is to start making the additional game modes.

I welcome any feedback and/or comments!

playfield-20220306-1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-5 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-5 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-4 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-4 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-3 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-3 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-2 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220306-2 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

AWESOME, love the start and the printed ramps!

#3 2 years ago

This guy right here is awesome. Glad to see your build on here.

#4 2 years ago

Ha, anything with a Beer Bong makes me smile.

#5 2 years ago

Look like a 3d printer is very helpfull for this kind of project !
    Well done, the work already done is awesome !

How did you do for the playfield drawing (it's not explained on your link) ?
    What did you use, how did you print it ?

#6 2 years ago

Have you flipped it? Those ramps look like they gonna get trashed by the ball. Might need some traditional posts there. Definitely a theme I can get behind

#7 2 years ago

Need to have the Swedish team present!

#8 2 years ago

I had to watch the movie again because of this .
    "We're not that drunk "
    +1 for the Swedish team

#9 2 years ago

i'm surprised you didn't make the left ramp a glass boot.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Look like a 3d printer is very helpfull for this kind of project !
    Well done, the work already done is awesome !
    How did you do for the playfield drawing (it's not explained on your link) ?
    What did you use, how did you print it ?

Thank you! I worked with my wife's cousin, he does graphic art in his spare time. He created all the art with proper dimensions (20.5"x42") in his software, 150/300 dpi. A local sign shop was able to take that .png and print it on adhesive vinyl, and I just cut away/drilled out further inserts. It hasn't been clearcoated yet, I think I'll have my (final???) playfield CNC'd, artwork applied, and clearcoated one more time.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Have you flipped it? Those ramps look like they gonna get trashed by the ball. Might need some traditional posts there. Definitely a theme I can get behind

If by flipping, you mean rotating on its rotisserie...many many times! Surprisingly, the 3D printed ramps appear very sturdy and are able to withstand the ball. But yes, I plan to have a standup target in front of the rear ramp, and another post installed near the right drop hole to protect the right part of that right ramp. I'm not sure what to do on the left side of the rear ramp, I hadn't really accounted for the narrowness, and the post just makes those shots harder. I'm open to suggestions.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I had to watch the movie again because of this .
    "We're not that drunk "
    +1 for the Swedish team

I have that audio clip saved, I'm going to use it somewhere...

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm surprised you didn't make the left ramp a glass boot.

Oooooh that is an AWESOME idea!!!! I am totally doing this!

2 weeks later
    #14 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion CaptainNeo ... the boot ramp really pops!

playfield-20220606 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220606 (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ohmbrew:

Thanks for the suggestion CaptainNeo ... the boot ramp really pops!
    [quoted image]

Fuckin' rights!! that's great

2 months later
    #16 1 year ago

Update! Finished my final wiring, have put together the cabinet from virtuapin, and got the playfield clearcoated. All off-board PF wires are routed to the top and will connect to two 16-pin Molex connectors for easy disconnect. Now to repopulate the remaining playfield and set her in her new home...

playfield-20220726-CC-1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220726-CC-1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-cabinet1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-cabinet1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-wiring1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-wiring1 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-wiring5 (resized).jpgplayfield-20220807-wiring5 (resized).jpg
    #17 1 year ago

Cool. The upper pf beer pong looking like a bagatelle. Genius!

#18 1 year ago

Cheers! Hopefully it will be at an upcoming show.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Cheers! Hopefully it will be at an upcoming show.

I'm targeting the Denver pinball expo on Oct 21-23.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ohmbrew:

I'm targeting the Denver pinball expo on Oct 21-23.

FREAKING AWESOME... Can't wait.

Jeff

#21 1 year ago

Love the flooring - beer hall look .

#22 1 year ago

Looks unreal what a theme lol

#24 1 year ago

I love the talent around here!

#25 1 year ago

Just a thought: Those clear 3D printed ball guides light up beautifully if you imbed a serial RGB strip in them.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Just a thought: Those clear 3D printed ball guides light up beautifully if you imbed a serial RGB strip in them.

My final CNC'd version has holes in the PF below those, can't wait to see what they look like!

#27 1 year ago

Looking great Greg! Can't wait to see it flipping again

#28 1 year ago

Huge milestone here...I've got my game sitting in a full size pinball cabinet now, with a video screen, speakers/woofer, and most of the switches working. Game play is still pretty basic, I'll start to work on the different game modes next. I've good some sounds clips ripped from the movie, and I'm trying to get some actors from Broken Lizard to record some more callouts for me...we'll see if they're game.

The playfield has been cut using a CNC, and professionally clearcoated which gives in a nice layer of protection and sweet shine.

Enjoy the video:

#29 1 year ago

Just watched the video again, looks so awesome! I like the background music as well. Gives it a nice wholesome feel while playing.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

Just watched the video again, looks so awesome! I like the background music as well. Gives it a nice wholesome feel while playing.

Thanks Ernie. I think during game mode rounds I'm gonna play some tracks from the soundtrack - AC/DC's "Have a Drink On Me", Kool & The Gang's "Jungle Boogie", and "Wasted".

#31 1 year ago

Frigg’n awesome!! Great work!

#32 1 year ago

is there a Spaten Easter Egg somewhere??

spaten (resized).PNGspaten (resized).PNG

#33 1 year ago

Flipping in a cabinet is a huge milestone. Congratulations!

#34 1 year ago

Wow! This looks awesome. Great work. Look forward to seeing more!

#35 1 year ago

Again, very nice work. I have a similar diverter on my ramp. How are you dealing with the eventuality of the diverter happening to catch and pinch a ball?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Again, very nice work. I have a similar diverter on my ramp. How are you dealing with the eventuality of the diverter happening to catch and pinch a ball?

Short answer: I'm not. The diverter switches every time a ball passes thru the optos that are just above the diverter. So for that to happen, two balls have to be shot up that boot ramp in pretty quick succession. That would never happen!! (famous last words haha)

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

ball search is your friend

#38 1 year ago

Love it!

What a great feeling this must be!

#39 1 year ago

Sometimes I wish I had designed my diverter around a stepper instead. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greek-gods-homebrew/page/4

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

ball search is your friend

Do you have a good resource for implementing custom ball search? I have that beer pong table that has two coil-activated trap doors. I'll need to release one door, rotate 180 degrees, and release the other door. Will need to do this at the end of a game too. I might be able to do it using straight MPF events as well.

Thoughts?

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

I like the background music as well. Gives it a nice wholesome feel while playing.

The background music is awesome , just makes it feel fun .

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ohmbrew:

Do you have a good resource for implementing custom ball search? I have that beer pong table that has two coil-activated trap doors. I'll need to release one door, rotate 180 degrees, and release the other door. Will need to do this at the end of a game too. I might be able to do it using straight MPF events as well.
    Thoughts?

Which framework are you using? In pyprocgame/skeleton game you can create a custom ball search “mode” that will fire at the end of the normal ball search. The mode can be programmed to do whatever you need. Just create the mode and then pass it into the ball search init as a “special/custom handler” . Not a computer so don’t know the exact name of the parameter.

#43 1 year ago

You should be able to do something similar on MPF. https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/stable/game_logic/ball_search/index.html?highlight=Ball%20search
    Since shows can be used to drive mechanisms with coil player etc. I would probably try to create a show that drives your mechanism along the desired steps when the event ball search started is posted.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

You should be able to do something similar on MPF. https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/stable/game_logic/ball_search/index.html?highlight=Ball%20search
    Since shows can be used to drive mechanisms with coil player etc. I would probably try to create a show that drives your mechanism along the desired steps when the event ball search started is posted.

I am using MPF. I figured MPF had a ball search functionality. Somehow I'll have to prevent ball search from affecting the beer pong cup table. Do I do this by not including a ball_search_order: X parameter, or setting include_in_ball_search: False in its ball device section?

As an aside, I noticed MPF doesn't eject all the ball hold devices at the end of a game. Is that something I explicitly need to configure somewhere? Or roll my own, capturing a "game over" message or something and manually doing ejects?

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ohmbrew:

I am using MPF. I figured MPF had a ball search functionality. Somehow I'll have to prevent ball search from affecting the beer pong cup table. Do I do this by not including a ball_search_order: X parameter, or setting include_in_ball_search: False in its ball device section?
    As an aside, I noticed MPF doesn't eject all the ball hold devices at the end of a game. Is that something I explicitly need to configure somewhere? Or roll my own, capturing a "game over" message or something and manually doing ejects?

You can put the following into the device block as it is written on the mpf docs.

include_in_ball_search: false

I am not sure about the balls in hold devices. When i start up a machine and a ball is in a device that is not tagged with: home, the ball will be ejected.
    on game end i am not sure, you might need a special mode and eject those balls yourself.

2 months later
    #46 1 year ago

Thanks for bringing this to the show. Really enjoyed playing it and going over some of the details with you. I do hope someday Broken Lizard gets back to you as this would be really fun to develop further.

#47 1 year ago

I played it at Rocky Mountain and SO FUN ! Rotating beer pong cups ! GTF outta here ; )
    Cool toy and good layout and super nice guy to boot ! Loved seeing your hard work thanks for sharing !

DBEFE754-5B07-4F31-B586-11E6EAB5CCC9 (resized).jpegDBEFE754-5B07-4F31-B586-11E6EAB5CCC9 (resized).jpeg
    #48 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:I played it at Rocky Mountain and SO FUN ! Rotating beer pong cups ! GTF outta here ; )
    Cool toy and good layout and super nice guy to boot ! Loved seeing your hard work thanks for sharing !
    [quoted image]

Greg is the best! Can’t wait to play this one in person.

#49 1 year ago

Sad to see a new game like this with such prominent planking on the playfield.

I love how you're handling the ball trough. If you put an apron on it you should expose that somehow, it looks super cool.

4 months later
    #50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Sad to see a new game like this with such prominent planking on the playfield.
    I love how you're handling the ball trough. If you put an apron on it you should expose that somehow, it looks super cool.

I did design an apron for it with a couple beer goggles with clear lenses that allows the player to see the trough function. Check out my video I'm about to post below.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.