00o0o_jhnBLbQa2Ji_600x450.jpg
00H0H_dT5XQxcQfSG_600x450.jpg
image.jpg
image-221.jpg
funny-picture-like-this-picture-if-no-batman-slaps-robin.jpg
1d584e5e-e887-4b5e-92cc-d60e581716f5-637.jpg
20140706_211112.jpg
20140706_211123.jpg
There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 9 years ago

As one who appreciates a well written story, whether short or long, thank you for taking the time to share the experience. I will never get to write something like that because the second I got anywhere near where you did, I would have turned around. And as many a seasoned CL buyer will agree, most of us would have known something was up when a game like that sat unsold for that length of time! There is the exception....I got a DE HUO Batman a few months ago. Was listed for weeks at a low price but the guy was never home to let anyone come pick it up. I was persistent and four weeks after it was listed, and still listed, I got lucky and he was home one day when I called. Didn't know it was HUO until it was picked up! $1200! Shipping blocks were still on the backbox....had never been opened. He called later that day and confirmed his family had bought it new and if I ever wanted to sell it, to please give him first shot as he was having sellers remorse. That is a game I am going to keep and not resell. So, one never knows but generally if a great game at a stupid low price on CL lasts more than four hours, something's up! Thanks again for the story...a great read and laugh!

#152 9 years ago

You overpaid

I bet an eight ball & a box of cereal would have worked too

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You overpaid
I bet an eight ball & a box of cereal would have worked too

I think the op had big ones negotiating at all! Well played. That is a story you will never forget.

#154 9 years ago

I'm curious what this property looked like. Care to share the address or post a google earth/maps image?

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

Did I miss something or was that huge post rude as heck? I realize the OP's story was long, but I enjoyed every word. Pretty good writing in my book. I would've stopped and at worst said my peace if I disapproved- is there a full moon tonight?? Am I missing some inside joke here? Wow.

funny-picture-like-this-picture-... 47 KB

You know, everyone is entitled to their opinion....I get that, but it's amazing how people will respond to the same post! I am with you...I really appreciate that he took the time to share his experience in an entertaining fashion. I really don't get the folks that had negative comments. Don't read it? Don't really know what to say! It entertained me for a good half hour....that's better than half of what's on TV and it was free!

#156 9 years ago

To the OP: I read your very long post last night before I went to bed, and while it took a while, it was absolutely worth *every second I read*. There were at least two times that I nearly laughed myself into coronary seizure. I stinking *loved* this story, and while I'm glad you're all right and have a great story to tell, and while I'm glad that you got yourself a bargain, you *definitely* paid the price for it.

Thank you. I know it was a lot of work, both in obtaining it and writing about the experience, but if I should ever meet you, I'm buying you a drink...and I'm going to hear this story again first-hand. Better you than me!

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from CoffinStuffer:

Over the time of my pinball collecting I have found people on craigslist do a 3 step program.
1 They buy or have an expensive pinball machine (almost any pin is expensive I feel)
2 They buy/own or have a burned out cracked out far away place they own.
3 They put this pinball machine in here and list it on craigslist for someone to visit
My other bad craigs were a pin in a boarded up old bar with a dirt floor that required me to come around back where I could not be seen next to a cement factory with 2 very large dudes with wife beater shirts who were selling the pin for grandma. It was a highspeed 2 and I met grandma.
A D&D in a messed up house used for storage
and my other 4 were relatively normal people.
If anyone wants another picture I'll post one tomorrow. But thanks for all the comments.
The house could not be seen from the street you had to walk 60 feet before even seeing it.
Also I don't know how much STTNG weighs but its damn heavy and I can normally move a pin by myself.

Unfortunately, STNG ranks up there as about as heavy as they get. We bought one from a home customer and it had to go upstairs. Ended up just taking it completely apart, playfield out of the cabinet, head removed...the whole nine yards, but it was like new so worth the effort. That was months ago and I still haven't put it back together! The most heavy? Revenge from Mars! Had to do the same thing, as anyone who has owned or moved one knows.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

You know, everyone is entitled to their opinion....I get that, but it's amazing how people will respond to the same post! I am with you...I really appreciate that he took the time to share his experience in an entertaining fashion. I really don't get the folks that had negative comments. Don't read it? Don't really know what to say! It entertained me for a good half hour....that's better than half of what's on TV and it was free!

Uh, he was referring to the long-ass quote of an actual literary work after the OP...

/facepalm.....

#159 9 years ago

Even the cliff notes were too long. Sounds interesting though, but I'll wait for the youtube movie of it.

#160 9 years ago

For those that wanted to look on google earth, I looked it up but the area is so over grown you can not even see the house. All that is visible is mr. Unfriendlys home.

#161 9 years ago

I'm speechless...

#163 9 years ago

I think I'd have to cash out on the game . Every time I played it I'd have flashbacks.

#164 9 years ago

For those that wanted to look on google earth, I looked it up but the area is so over grown you can not even see the house. All that is visible is mr. Unfriendlys home.

would love to see a picture of this place, ...lol..even overgrown.

#165 9 years ago

For those that wanted to look on google earth, I looked it up but the area is so over grown you can not even see the house.

Slightly off topic, but I was once looking at my parents house on Google. I zoomed in to street view, and low and behold, there were my parents and my nephew standing there in their driveway staring at the Google camera. What are the odds of that? Their faces were blurred out, but you can still easily tell it's them.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

would love to see a picture of this place, ...lol..even overgrown.

I second this notion! Please post location so we can see!! Sometime's there is multiple views or maybe we can see something in the overhead view. Regardless, I am very curious!

#167 9 years ago

OPs first post needs to be considered for top 5 posts of 2014 on Pinside.

He needs to be a writer. That was an outstanding story. I almost hoped things got "hectic" just to reward the feeling of teetering on the edge of the cliff of tension. Loved it.

Great stuff, OP!!!!!

#168 9 years ago

Great story, took me all Sunday reading a little here and there. Made me think of House of a 1000 Corpses, was waiting for naked Gregg to show you fishboy. Great writing too by the way.

I've bought and sold a few things on Craigslist and always been a little nervous showing up at peoples houses or having them come to mine, thankfully they have all been fine experiences, but man am I going to pay extra close attention to warning signs from now on!

Congrats on going where no sane man has gone before!

#169 9 years ago

Wow. read the story but no other posts. Psycho Trailer Dweller is clearly schizophrenic with a hyper-religious delusion. Very classic (in med-school I did a rotation of inpatient psychiatry where we saw a lot of that kind of crap). Glad you made it out safe.

#170 9 years ago

I do work in rental properties in inner city Melbourne, and you wouldn't believe how some people live. Mind you inner city Melbourne is not a cheap place to live/buy/rent. I do window replacements.

We did one job where all of us workers developed rashes from the filth people live in, one apartment smelt so bad we thought something had died in it. The worst thing is people know we are coming and still leave all their crap where we are going to work. I'm talking people leaving rotting food in the sink below a window we are to change, clumps of dog hair and toe nail clippings on the floor, I mean f#*king filth. (I have dry retched in front of tenants.)

These grotty people often are the rudest and most demanding clients.

We get ours back, in a normal home we vacuum and fully clean any mess we make, if a place is a disgusting mess we make our mess and leave it...

#171 9 years ago

One doesn't even need to visit these people's abodes to discern what filth they live in. I see household stuff in resale shops all the time so encrusted with blech that it boggles the imagination how they could get that way. How does a clock radio have a layer of film on it that you can scrape off in chunks?

#172 9 years ago

CL app... Deleted!

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Psycho Trailer Dweller is clearly schizophrenic with a hyper-religious delusion. Very classic (in med-school I did a rotation of inpatient psychiatry where we saw a lot of that kind of crap).

Disappointing that folks often confuse mental health issues with drug abuse. The original poster mentioned drugs nine times ('I have entered a Drug fueled maniacs home...'), yet never saw any drugs or paraphernalia. Cool story bro, but dude likely wasn't a crack head. Just naturally friggin nuts.

#174 9 years ago

Wow....read the whole story, like a book you can't put down.

I think the OP is actually Stephen King.

Great story and glad you survived. I drove 45 minutes to get my STTNG, loaded in 10 minutes and drove back home, again 45 minutes. TRUE STORY!!!!

#175 9 years ago

Good read. As someone who carries $700 worth of tools in my smallish toolbag (most of that is my Fluke meter), I would never have brought my whole toolbag into that place. Brave soul.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Disappointing that folks often confuse mental health issues with drug abuse. The original poster mentioned drugs nine times ('I have entered a Drug fueled maniacs home...'), yet never saw any drugs or paraphernalia. Cool story bro, but dude likely wasn't a crack head. Just naturally friggin nuts.

I do believe some people don't know the difference between drug use and mental illness. I however have plenty experience with both, especially knowing enough street people in my time to come across all types. Trailer dweller had mental illness no doubt. Greg was an addict, no doubt. From the shape of his body and marks. I did not go anywhere near his bed or the back corner where the most habitation was going on. I had no wish to dig deeper there or intrude any deeper than I needed; like I said I didn't want to see anything else that might cause a change in the situation. One thing is for certain, after greg got the money he disappear ed like a fart in the wind.

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

Good read. As someone who carries $700 worth of tools in my smallish toolbag (most of that is my Fluke meter), I would never have brought my whole toolbag into that place. Brave soul.

Exactly this. No dolly but $700 worth of tools? Only things you need when picking up pins.

Dolly

Cheap ass ratchet (stanley or something similar) and 2 sockets. one for the big bolts and the next size down for smaller bolts

Lock picking kit (or drill) in case they lost the keys. (this can be left in the car and only brought out if you need it.

ratchet strap to tie the head down

that's it. Most expensive thing is the lock picking kit and dolly. If you forget your 1.25 socket or 7.99 wrench. Who cares?

#178 9 years ago

This seems like a good place to post this. Got a pic of a pin from a guy today with a big old swastika on the wall next to it. Seems like it would have been easy to crop out.

#179 9 years ago

I however have plenty experience with both, especially knowing enough street people in my time to come across all types.

If I seem defensive, it's probably because my older brother has been mentally ill for many years. He takes very powerful drugs to keep things under control and lives in a group home. The drugs make him look and act like he might be high or a drugee/ homeless person. His teeth started going early. He resisted taking the drugs at first, but finally realized he had to, despite what they do to his body. Bad teeth was just the beginning. This despite never being into drugs or alcohol prior to the start of his illness (early 20's). He looks and acts like a druggy, but he's not.

Your post was awesome. Really, I enjoyed it. I just couldn't help but notice that you mentioned drugs repeatedly, but never mentioned anything drug related specifically. Just generalizations. I trust that your observations were spot on as I sure as hell ain't going out there to check. d

#180 9 years ago

Interesting story. Likely stolen goods, yes?

#181 9 years ago

Best thing I've ever read on Pinside.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Exactly this. No dolly but $700 worth of tools? Only things you need when picking up pins.
Dolly
Cheap ass ratchet (stanley or something similar) and 2 sockets. one for the big bolts and the next size down for smaller bolts
Lock picking kit (or drill) in case they lost the keys. (this can be left in the car and only brought out if you need it.
ratchet strap to tie the head down
that's it. Most expensive thing is the lock picking kit and dolly. If you forget your 1.25 socket or 7.99 wrench. Who cares?

Yeah I admit I left my dolly. The guy made it seem like it was right next to the door but it was early when i started my drive and I left it behind, my fault and I paid the price. I had my straps for the head and my drill for the locks but most of the value of my tools was my meters. I was not super concerned about them stealing my tools and I didn't want to walk back to the truck for anything. To pawn shops most are worth little so lots thieves barely bother with them much.

#183 9 years ago

I have a really nice STTNG and a 38 foot camper in the back yard. I also have an 800 foot driveway that goes into the woods a bit... You're welcome over anytime. I do quite a bit of BBQ during the summer.

Can't see my house from the road so you feel nice and safe. It's really quiet when the trees are filled in..........

No real filth laying around but I do tend to let my grass grow longer than it should. I feel it smokes better that way though.

#184 9 years ago

I don't take my meters with me to buy games. I'm not going to fix a game on site or try and diagnose any problems while i'm there. Less that works, the cheaper the price usually.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Did I miss some part of the OP's story where he actually saw drug addict paraphernalia or other such things on Greg like track marks? They did not sound like addicts, they sounded like some of our countries many untreated mentally ill, which I find much more scary to be around. They maybe on drugs as well, but that is not the
So lessons to take away from this story:

3-Most importantly, if I am going to risk my personal safety, I will somehow figure out how to take photos to compliment my written up story. My personal favorite way to take photos without anyone noticing is to keep talking about my wife texting me updates about our kid's sporting event that is going on right now, gives me a great excuse to be swinging my phone all around. Just keep toggling the sound on/off button so the phone keeps making vibrating noises as it switches from silent to sound so it seems like your phone is getting all kinds of texts.
Thanks to the OP for a very enjoyable story and distraction for the day.

So, you actually have a "personal favorite way" of taking secret photos? Are you CIA or do it just for fun? Can we see some your secret shots? I bet they are good!

#186 9 years ago

monroe.craigslist.org link

OH GOD IT'S STARTING AGAIN!!!!!

Seriously, this the same guy?

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

monroe.craigslist.org link
OH GOD IT'S STARTING AGAIN!!!!!
Seriously, this the same guy?

If so... man, you are going to burn your fingers...

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

If so... man, you are going to burn your fingers...

It's not, but gotta admit that's one spooky coincidence lol..

#189 9 years ago

Looks like there is need for flooring in Monroe or everyone likes the natural feel under foot.

5 months later
#190 9 years ago

Bump--It's a pinside Christmas story.

#191 9 years ago

Bump--It's a pinside Christmas story.

Plus it's reminiscent of the movie "Deliverance".

#192 9 years ago

I thought this was pretty much how every craigslist deal went down.

Seriously though. That was the longest post ever. Well worth the read though. I have met some shady people that is for sure but none quite that bad.

#193 9 years ago

Is the audio book version available yet?

#194 9 years ago

Judge much? The guy was selling a machine, not inviting you in for a Better Homes and Gardens article. Wow what a wonderful person you are with your clean underpants. At least you were able to mask your complete disgust for him and his life long enough to get what you wanted.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

Judge much? The guy was selling a machine, not inviting you in for a Better Homes and Gardens article. Wow what a wonderful person you are with your clean underpants. At least you were able to mask your complete disgust for him and his life long enough to get what you wanted.

Finally sobered up, eh?

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

I Call it like I see it.......plus I don't remember judging them; I think I described them and their surroundings. I also don't believe I judged them to be mean or evil, or rude, or not being of the human race. Just dirty, crazy, and living in the worst possible place. I also didn't hide my complete disgust of him just my complete disgust of what was on him. But I do believe I am going to judge you a bit of a prick for your comment. But hey I wouldn't want to judge you from 1 single post......

#197 9 years ago

My gosh, how did I miss this thread? From my home state nonetheless. Wow!

1 month later
#198 9 years ago

Having read about 1/2 the first post. I had to stop and say this is some funny shit. I can just see the look in your eyes when he want to shake your hand.LOL

#199 9 years ago

I bet your nephew never goes on a pin pick with you again. Great read. Need to be sticky.

7 months later
#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Caviar:

I bet your nephew never goes on a pin pick with you again. Great read. Need to be sticky.

Nope my nephew never went on another pin pick with me again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/into-the-maw-of-dispair-true-account-of-my-latest-craigslist-nightmare/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.