(Topic ID: 99223)

Internal or External Subwoofer for IMVE?

By Santeh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Polk, Flipper Fidelity, or Pinball Pro?”

• Polk PSW10 Subwoofer 24 votes
    83%
  • Flipper Fidelity "Flipping Fantastic Big 10 Inch" Stern Speaker System 2 votes
    7%
  • Pinball Pro Complete Speaker Kit SWTR-4ST 3 votes
    10%

(29 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-916.jpg
210663-i.jpg
210662-i.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hello all!

On several of my games I have added either an upgraded subwoofer and/or subwoofer/speaker kit to my pins, of which I have purchased from both Flipper Fidelity and Pinball Pro. However, I have read several threads about how incredible an external subwoofer sounds, yet I have never tried one. I was wondering what the community's thoughts might be for Iron Man Vault Edition (IMVE) regarding adding either an internal or external subwoofer?

Right now my options are:

1). Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer. This would be $130 plus the connector for $35. Thus this would just be the subwoofer for ~$165+shipping. I am sorry, but I cannot get the Amazon link to work...

2). Flipper Fidelity "Flipping Fantastic Big 10 Inch" Stern Speaker System which has both speaker and a 10-inch subwoofer (http://flipperfidelity.com/sound/stern-speaker-systems/flipping-fantastic-big-10-inch-stern-speaker-system-208.html) for $175+shipping.

3). Pinball Pro Stern Pinball Star Trek Complete Speaker Kit SWTR-4ST (http://pinballpro.net/shop/stern-pinball-machines-complete-speaker-kit-swtr-4st/). I spoke to the seller and he said this unit, plus the subwoofer upgrade (http://pinballpro.net/shop/high-energy-upgrade/), would be his suggestion for the IMVE. The total here is $195+shipping.

My only real concern with an external subwoofer is that when I need to move pins around I do not want to accidentally damage the subwoofer since it would be outside the game (I like the clean feel of the internal systems). Also, I am not sure that the IMVE needs upgraded speakers as the ones from Stern seemed fine.

Thoughts? I can only afford one try and since I am in no way an expert I thought I would ask.

Thanks all!

#2 9 years ago

Ya, I was on the fence as well on whether or not I wanted a external sub or not. Well you will not be disappointed, the added punch and sound from the bass is amazing sounding. I have one on my metallica and it really pounds the floor, walls and windows quite well when turned up. Easy hook up with alligator clips. 210662-i.jpg210662-i.jpg210663-i.jpg210663-i.jpg

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

My only real concern with an external subwoofer is that when I need to move pins around I do not want to accidentally damage the subwoofer since it would be outside the game (I like the clean feel of the internal systems).

Its not a big deal to remove the 2 wires from the sub and move it. If its to heavy, put sliders on it. That should not be the deal breaker. Believe me, everything your wrote I thought about to, everything, but pros out weigh the cons. You don't need any special connector to buy, alligator clips and wire.

#4 9 years ago

Thank you! I really appreciate the thoughts!

I have been leaning towards the Polk subwoofer as the stock Stern speakers seem fine, yet I am indeed on the fence.

Thanks again!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Thank you! I really appreciate the thoughts!
I have been leaning towards the Polk subwoofer as the stock Stern speakers seem fine, yet I am indeed on the fence.
Thanks again!

Ya, I didn't think my metallica speakers weren't that bad at low volume, but if you turn up the volume you can hear the "tinning" noise from them, and the lack of bass. One thing I noticed with the external Polk sub, is that it handles all the lows, the cabinet speaker is the mids and the backbox speakers are the highs. It just sounds so balanced now! Like you, I did notr want a bulky, thing under the cab, but those thought went out the window when I played my first game with it! Get a shaker motor for your IM VE!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Ya, I didn't think my Metallica speakers weren't that bad at low volume, but if you turn up the volume you can hear the "tinning" noise from them, and the lack of bass. One thing I noticed with the external Polk sub, is that it handles all the lows, the cabinet speaker is the mids and the backbox speakers are the highs. It just sounds so balanced now! Like you, I did notr want a bulky, thing under the cab, but those thought went out the window when I played my first game with it! Get a shaker motor for your IM VE!

Yep, I am definitely thinking Polk subwoofer and stock Stern speakers... I will be curious how others vote just to see...

Thankfully, my IMVE came with a shaker motor and it is a must, I do agree!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I will be curious how others vote just to see...

Ya, thought more will chime in, but there wont be any negative responses, and some people do still buy speaker systems and still use the external sub. When I searched this topic, I really didn't hear any negative except what we mentioned here about a bulky item under the game.

#8 9 years ago

Santeh,

The pinballpro.com set ups have a subwoofer output for external sub, just FYI.

Also wanted to clarify the Pinball Pro 10" and 12" model will work just fine for you, and for less money if budget is a concern. However, the premium unit sounds incredible in Ironman as does our standard unit!

Greg
Www.pinballpro.com

#9 9 years ago

PSW-10 for sure...my friend has a Flipper Fidelity internal set-up and he is now pulling his out after hearing mine. His just rattles the glass and the sound is not clear like the Polk.

#10 9 years ago

We also have a plug n play powered sub audio output from the factory sound board for $35 if alligator clips aren't your thing. Just pm me.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
image-916.jpgimage-916.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Thanks all! For me this really is a choice between an internal or external subwoofer and not the size of said subwoofer. I do not think, though, that I will upgrade the speakers as it does not seem necessary.

#12 9 years ago

Upgraded internal can't compete with separate powered sub.

And IM benefits in a huge way from a powered sub. Believe me!

#13 9 years ago

I can almost vibrate all 2000 square feet of my house, with the External on high , and Iron Man going strong!

My son was "blown backwards" when he played it this way!

What an experience!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Upgraded internal can't compete with separate powered sub.
And IM benefits in a huge way from a powered sub. Believe me!

Yes it can

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massively-improve-your-acdc-premiumle-sound-under-80

Although technically this IS a powered sub.. Just using the pinball machine as the cabinet.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes it can
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massively-improve-your-acdc-premiumle-sound-under-80
Although technically this IS a powered sub.. Just using the pinball machine as the cabinet.

What do you mean "technically"?

It IS a powered sub, and the internal subwoofers that were actually being discussed by the OP can't compete with them.

#16 9 years ago

External all day every day.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What do you mean "technically"?
It IS a powered sub, and the internal subwoofers that were actually being discussed by the OP can't compete with them.

Yep, true. Agreed. I will point out though, that the OP does raise the issue of moving around machines and damaging the external sub. On this point, the "internalised" external powered sub is a great option. And the cabinet dynamics of the powered sub "inside" the machine are dramatic. I am actually an external powered sub convert, but have found a new level of acoustic performance from the internalised version and have converted four machines to that layout.

#18 9 years ago

God I love the rush with a sub. Have my original iron man being all dolled up. Haven't seen her for a month. Can't wait to get her back ready and rockin

#19 9 years ago

I am a fan of the kits, for a few reasons, I just installed a PinballPro kit on my ACDC pro tonight, and the sound difference is incredible, both the bass, mids and highs, a very noted difference from before and after. I have used powered subs too and they sound awesome, but the other reason I like the kits is I feel the output on my hands while Im playing, almost like a shaker, which I really like, and I dont have to have somthing on the floor, I have an open space so they are easily seen... PP for the win here.. thx Greg..

#20 9 years ago

internal vs external.. external having its own tuned cab, amp, low pass filtering etc is going to sound bigger-better, so far. if someone were to apply cabinet and porting formulas to the pinball cabinet itself (sealing, isolating rattles etc) they might get some very surprising results for their efforts to keep it internal. I would guess a pinball cab has enough cubic footage (10ish?) to not need a port tube for huge bass, if it could be sealed well enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/internal-or-external-subwoofer-for-imve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.