(Topic ID: 76511)

Intermittently weak flippers - rebuild them or could it be something else??

By animator_pin_fan

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've got a Popeye Saves the Earth that just started having an intermittently weak right flipper- the weakness comes and goes every few games or so, but eventually comes back to almost full strength (it's still definitely weaker than the left flipper).

However, when I cycle the flipper coils in the test menu, it seems to fix itself for awhile, but soon gets so weak that it will barely even cradle a ball.

So my question is: should I do a full rebuild of the flippers and hope it's just a failing coil? Or could this be a sign of something else wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

Slide a coil off and check the coil sleeve and plunger. That will let you know for sure.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

intermittent weak flippers could also be flipper button optos going bad. Seriously. I've seen it many many times. Swap sides or flipper optos with another pin

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Swap sides or flipper optos with another pin

Or clean them.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Didn't know that the opto could make a flipper weak, but after reading around on other threads, I see that it can trick the opto into thinking it's flickering on and off rapidly. This makes sense.

I did recently replace the Flipper opto plastic interrupter on the right side. And I'm not sure if it matters, but the old interrupter was black and the new one is white.

It's also really damn tight next to the interrupter when the flipper button is fully depressed. It almost rubs against the ball shooter solenoid. However, I get the same results when I slightly raised the playfield giving full clearance while filpping, so I'm pretty sure it's fully opening and closing.
I'll try cleaning the opto first, and maybe just order a full flipper rebuild kit to have on the way.

Thanks for the tips! I'll report back tomorrow.

#6 10 years ago

Check your playfield bushings too when you have it apart. I've done complete flipper rebuilds only to have to take them apart later to find a worn or cracked bushing to be the main culprit.

#7 10 years ago

A quick twirl of windex on a Q-tip did the trick right away!

And they somehow feel even snappier than before. I've got the parts order, so maybe when I get around to shopping it out, I'll do the full flipper rebuild.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittently-weak-flippers-rebuild-them-or-could-it-be-something-else and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.