• Latest reply 3 years ago by pins4u
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper actuator boards (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I've tried everything I know to try so now I need some help.

So a few months ago, shortly after my second tear down and cleaning of the game (Not immediately after), I noticed the upper flipper on my White Water was starting to act up, in that most of the time it worked fine, but every so often it would flip noticeably weak. Enough so that it became difficult to send the ball up both ramps when weak. Usually when it becomes weak, it will remain noticeably weak for a handful of flips, until returning to a normal strength. It's still doing this, although the severity of the issue has varied over the past few months.

I've tried making a handful of tweaks to fix the issue until tonight when I completely rebuilt the flipper. It shouldn't have needed rebuilt as I've already replaced most of the major parts in the past year trying to fix an issue with the EOS. However I just put all new parts in and replaced the flipper bushing as well. The flipper overall seems a bit snappier but it still gets weak every now and then, and with a complete rebuild done I don't have any idea what else could be the problem unless it's electrical. I didn't replace the coil so could it be something wrong with that? I can't see anything that the flipper could be getting caught up on (I have the System 11 style conical spring installed like the upper flipper on WH2O is supposed to have so it doesn't get hung up on the orbit guide).

I'm wondering, is there's any way I can measure the power going to the upper flipper so I can monitor that and make sure it's not dropping for some reason? I really don't see how the issue could be mechanical at this point, but if anyone has any more ideas please let me know.

This has just been such a pain because otherwise the game has been working perfectly, but this one issue is making it hard to enjoy it without getting annoyed. Like, I'll start multiball and then suddenly the flipper will just decide to be weak and I won't be able to get any balls up the ramp, even though I'm hitting it straight on. Really hope I can figure out what's causing this soon.

#2 3 years ago

I'd swap flipper button opto boards, see if problem moves. Clean them.

Then check solder joints and all wires at the coil, to and from lugs.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Check the 3 Pin Connector about 20 cm from the Flipper Coil. Check the Pin Tension of the female Contacts

#4 3 years ago

Well I'm kind of shocked but it seems like swapping the flipper opto boards (The switches as well) has fixed the issue! I've played quite a few games since I did the swap last night and the upper flipper has been stronger than ever! Thanks LTG!

I'm wondering now if I messed something up when I swapped out the flipper buttons, as I think the issue started around the time I did. Or at least, that was one of the things I did during the last teardown. Who knows.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Well I'm kind of shocked but it seems like swapping the flipper opto boards (The switches as well) has fixed the issue! I've played quite a few games since I did the swap last night and the upper flipper has been stronger than ever! Thanks LTG!
I'm wondering now if I messed something up when I swapped out the flipper buttons, as I think the issue started around the time I did. Or at least, that was one of the things I did during the last teardown. Who knows.

Normal problem. One of the opto interrupters is obviously flakey on that flipper board. Probably best to replace as a pair.

They age with time and Sharp specifies a 'life' for these devices. All of our machines are getting older so we can expect more stuff like this to start happening more regularly.

You can buy just the boards rather than the whole assembly shown below or you can source the actual opto parts and replace only those.

https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-1-flipper-opto-board-set.html
flipper actuator boards (resized).pngflipper actuator boards (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 12.95
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nampa, ID
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stockton, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Burlington, MA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 125.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.