• 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by QuietEarp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5191 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider QuietEarp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello All! I recently acquired a Jacks To Open machine and I have been trying to get the sound to work.

I recently got the machine and the MPU had battery leakage so I swapped the fully functioning board from my Alien Star into the machine and swapped ROMs so I have a known functioning MPU.

The background sound has come on before, but I have not heard that very much. The game sounds were also elusive, but I reseated the sound ROM on the Sound Board and that seemed to work for a bit for sound effects only. I was playing it for about an hour and I had the sound effects working. I figured that I had solved the mystery (or at least a partial mystery as I did not have background sound).

Then I turned the game off and now I have no sound again!

I have good 5 volt and 12 volts at the board. A visual inspection did not reveal any issues. I have wiggled some connections and there was no change.

PinWiki is doesn't have much for troubleshooting this particular sound board. I also have a functioning Sound Board in Alien Star so in theory could swap things around to verify that the problem is on the sound board, but the Jacks to Open manual says "Caution The Sound Board Installed in this Game is Not Interchangeable With Any Other Sound Board" so that made me stop.

Anyone out there got any advice for me?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

OK, So I now have diagnosed the lack of game sound effects. When I was lifting the playfield the wiring harness knocked the connector off the speaker! The heavy wire bundle really wants to land directly on the spade connectors!

So should my sound effects remain working (fingers crossed!), I am still missing the background music. Switch 31 is definitely in the on position.

Any help with troubleshooting the lack of background music?

IMG_5191 (resized).jpgIMG_5191 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

So what I have found is that the first game I play there is no background sound at all. Then after the game is over a song starts playing which I am assuming is some sort of game over sound, it is pretty much just a bass groove. This sound continues throughout the next game and is constant until I turn the machine off.

I am assuming this is the game over tune. This behavior happens regardless of which way switch 31 is on the MPU.

At no point do I hear the background sounds that I hear in the few youtube videos of the game.

What the heck is going on? Could this be a ROM issue?

#4 4 years ago

Well I am pretty sure I figured it out. I noticed that the sound ROM said #696 on it and Jack To Open is #687. The ROM that is installed is for Chicago Cubs Triple Play. After watching a youtube video of that machine it is clear that the wrong ROM is installed.

I guess I was distracted by the MPU needing work and never seeing the game function in person before.

For future reference you should always check the numbers on the ROMs to make sure they match! I am emailing PBR and asking them about ROM availability! If anyone can provide me with a ROM let me know! I will trade you the Chicago Cubs Triple Play ROM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider QuietEarp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-sound-on-jacks-to-open?tu=QuietEarp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.