(Topic ID: 14674)

Intermittent ramp switch during game play, tests fine EVERYTIME!!

By penguinchicken

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Just like the title says,
Jokerz! Right ramp switch NEVER fails to test, or simulated game play, but sometimes during play does not register....Bad microswitch????

It is just weird that it tests fine EVERY SINGLE TIME..like hundreds of times!
Thanks

#2 12 years ago

I would loosen the microswitch a little. Did you just work on it at all? I have had similar problems and I think I tightened it down too hard and it would be flaky.

Also, realize the SPEED of the tests you are running. You might test the switch by throwing the ball past the switch at a different speed than the actual gameplay activates it.

#3 12 years ago

Check the wire to that switch or the switch just needs some adjustment.

#4 12 years ago

Hello PenguinChicken,

Are you testing with your finger, or are you testing by rolling a ball through the gate as would happen during actual game play?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 12 years ago

As others have said be sure to use a ball to test. A finger will go "deeper" into the slot and will register a hit where a ball may not.

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, ball or finger....makes no difference. Always tests, fast or slow, wiggling/flexing wires. Intermittent during play

#7 12 years ago

If it's a micro mini switch, replace it and be done with the headaches.

If they get gummed up inside they often work in test but fail in game play.

LTG

1 week later
#8 12 years ago

Ok,
so in my cheapskateiness I swapped the left ramp micro switch (a known good part) with the right ramp (trouble switch)
No change. The right ramp still intermittently fails to register?
I am new to the whole switch matrix thing....if it were a wire issue I would also see other switches not picking up?
If the switch monitoring is done by the game rom's, do they ever degrade and do something like this??

#9 12 years ago

I had a similar problem, after every adjust it worked fine for a few days. But the same problem came back over and over again, in the end i just replaced the switch completely. My tip is replace the damn thing soon as possible, it will just annoy the shit out of you.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from penguinchicken:

Ok,
so in my cheapskateiness I swapped the left ramp micro switch (a known good part) with the right ramp (trouble switch)
No change. The right ramp still intermittently fails to register?
I am new to the whole switch matrix thing....if it were a wire issue I would also see other switches not picking up?
If the switch monitoring is done by the game rom's, do they ever degrade and do something like this??

Did the right switch behave properly when installed in the left ramp? If so, it sounds like the problem is not the switch but from the connector back through the wiring somewhere.

#11 12 years ago

Yeah, I ruled out the possibility of a bad switch. Since it works fine on the left ramp.
That is what I was wondering about the "switch matrix" Since switches are daisy chained together in the matrix, it seems like I would be seeing other switches with issues if it were a wire issue. It seems to me that a software issue could be the cause, but I am unfamiliar with that area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-ramp-switch-during-game-play-tests-fine-everytime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.