(Topic ID: 208922)

Intermittent speech ... 55536 CVSD chip?

By Occelot

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, I am having an issue with my PinBot. When I leave the game on (playing, or not) for longer than 15 minutes or so, I start losing audio. For instance, the countdown for planets will be silent, but the light will flash. All sorts of wacky stuff like, it will randomly say "Energy Transfer" when the game is just playing it's launch ball music for X minutes when you leave the ball at the plunger for instance.

Just played another game, and I think it is just the SPEECH (and the countdown for planet drop targets, and bonus at end of ball).

I've done some research and it looks like this could be the CVSD chip. Is there a way to test this chip? Any other recommendations before I drop $20 on a new one?

I've read the following:
-Reflow the CSVD
-Replace the two 1458's (U4 & U5).

Anyone else have this issue in the past and fixed it?

#2 6 years ago

Pretty confident its not going to be a CVSD chip. The PIA sents digital data to the CVSD and it spits out voice which the 1458's mix with the sound effects then it sends the mixed sound and speech back over to the sound board to be amplified for the speaker.

Sounds like you have a digital failure, not analogue. Something like the sound trigger nputs from the mpu/driver are not getting read right by the sound board's computer. Make sure the connectors are good. You can put the game in sound / solenoid test and watch the signals go through the 4049/4050 buffers. Make sure you get a low pulse for every wire to the sound board through the buffer chip. It may take the board getting warm for the connector to get flaky. Don't forget the mpu/driver side connectors too.

CVSD failures in my XP is garbled speech or silence when speech should be playing. *** this cvsd chip is easily damaged by ESD, ive blown one being careless ***

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-musicspeech-55536-cvsd-chip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.