(Topic ID: 302214)

Intermittent switch/opto registartion on Stern Jurassic Park

By WaddleJrJr

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

When I first got my Stern Jurassic Park the right coin door switch would sometimes just eat coins, they'd go through perfectly fine, it wasn't the mech, they'd just go past the switch, trigger it fine, but the switch wouldn't register them. I didn't have a replacement switch so I just covered up that coin slot since the other worked perfectly fine. Now about a year and a half later it started happening with the other coin slot, and started happening with the left ramp too.

Is there something that would be causing all these switches to only work intermittently? I presume it's still possible they're all just individually bad, it would just surprise me a bit. They register about 90% of the time, and fail the other 10%. I would normally check the switch matrix and see if they're all on the same wire or something, but I haven't really looked into how this new Spike system for that works with all the separate boards and such.

Also for what it's worth I've never been able to recreate the switch registration failure in the switch test--probably like 50-100 tests of dropping a coin through the coin switch and 50-100 tests of rolling a ball past the left ramp and I have 100% success rate with both, but that might just a be a result of me not testing enough.

#2 2 years ago

Switch is likely fine. Follow wires along the way through IDC connectors. Reseat them and shove wires in tight.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Will try that now, thanks! Also correction, the left ramp switch is an opto not a microswitch, my mistake, was a week ago that I was looking at it and I had forgotten.

#4 2 years ago

Tried reseating the connectors for the coin door switches, no luck, still failures when inserting coins. I'll try the ramp opto next.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Tried reseating the connectors for the coin door switches,

Shove the wires into them tight too. Follow along from switch to board they go to.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

Alright went back to the mentioned connector to look closer at the pins, they were indeed a bit loose and pressing them in seems to have worked. Testing on the opto is going fine as well, but it's faked me out before, so if there's more issues I'll report back but for now things look good.

Thanks!

#7 2 years ago

Okay update on the opto, after much succesful testing I tried it out in game, had one shot fail to register out of 25 or so, so perhaps didn't get that one. I had a little more trouble tracking where the wires go out of this one though, there's one immediate connector which I checked out, but then after that I couldn't particularly see where it went, so I might've gotten the wrong thing.

Update: A few more games and another failure on the left ramp, so for sure still issues there

1 week later
#8 2 years ago

Still no luck on the ramp opto. Seems like when I put a slow ball past it in testing it works 100% of the time, no issue, but a fast ball in game has around a 10% failure rate.

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

Just to update this thread in case anyone is stumbling on it through a web search of a similar problem, I posted this issue on the Jurassic Park club thread and was recommended a fix, link to that here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/240#post-6576599

The issue was opto misalignment, it is apparently a common problem in that spot. Putting a piece of tape that covers the bottom half of the hole in the ramp cut for that opto fixed it for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-microswitch-registartion-on-stern-jurassic-park?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.