(Topic ID: 228355)

Intermittent GI and Sound issues with DE Simpsons

By dearliza98

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone. Wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction. My Data East Simpsons has a couple of annoying issues and I haven't been able to track down the source of the problem.

First, the left GI lights go in and out. I assume this is related to the PPB board because when I mess with it and reseat the connectors, it comes on/off. Could this be a cold/broken solder issue possibly?

Second, the sound also goes in/out. When I turn on the game, the sound either works or it doesn't. It seems like it works better after the game has been on for awhile, shut off and then turned back on.

Last, the top line of the display does not work. Is there any chance the display could be repaired or is this a guaranteed sign of it being outgassed/bad and it needs to be replaced?

Thank you for any advice!

#2 5 years ago

Update: I sort of figured out the GI issue. I did have a cold solder joint on one of the pins on the PPB so they technically work now but the left side bulbs appear dimmer than the right.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

Second, the sound also goes in/out. When I turn on the game, the sound either works or it doesn't. It seems like it works better after the game has been on for awhile, shut off and then turned back on.

Try reseating the sound board ribbon cable at the sound board and at the MPU board. If that doesn't help, reseat all the connectors going to the sound board.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, PinballManiac40 - Sad thing is that this game worked fine before it was brought to me in a trailer on a 2hr ride. I'm hoping these issues are just simple fixes that came loose during transit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-gi-and-sound-issues-with-de-simpsons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.