Intermittent Flipper Issue

By ChicagoPinReplay

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am having a odd issue with my LAH. The right flipper seems weaker than the left and on occasion when you go to flip; the flipper will only come up weakly half way and then stop. Sometimes it does not flip at all. I cant narrow down its occurance it seems to happen at random. I put new fuse clips in, reflowed the pins on the flipper board, put a new cabinet switch in, put a new EOS in and reflowed the wires to the coil and on the coil diode. The coil is not binding and does not look burned. Any other areas that I can inspect or thoughts on why the flipper is acting this way? Appreciate it in advance.

#2 5 years ago

First try a jumper across the EOS switch. It may be new, but those games are very particular about their EOS, so eliminate it first.

There is a flipper troubleshooting block diagram in the back of the manual. Did you try following that?

#3 5 years ago

Mechanical issue? Possibly binding between the bat and bushing?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Mechanical issue? Possibly binding between the bat and bushing?

I should have mentioned that it has new bushings as well. Everything is moving freely. Sometimes when you try to flip nothing happens and no LED flashes on the flipper board.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

First try a jumper across the EOS switch. It may be new, but those games are very particular about their EOS, so eliminate it first.
There is a flipper troubleshooting block diagram in the back of the manual. Did you try following that?

I will try to jump the EOS. I dont have a manual but will download one. Did not know there was a diag guide in the manual. Thanks.

#6 5 years ago

Dose this game have regular flipper button switch's, or optic's?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Dose this game have regular flipper button switch's, or optic's?

Ok left switch's, how do the contacts look?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

By your description it sound like maybe the pull side of the coil might be bad.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Switches and they are brand new. Sometimes the LED on the flipper board totally fails to flash and you get no flip at all. Other times it will come up half way weakly and stop and sometimes it works fine.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I jumped the EOS and no difference. Still intermittent flipper function. Sometimes works, sometimes halfway sometimes nothing.

#11 5 years ago

I would pull the flipper board and inspect, how do the connecter's to it look?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I would pull the flipper board and inspect, how do the connecter's to it look?

I did when I put new fuse clips on. Everything looked to be in order. The connectors look good. Nothing burned etc.

#13 5 years ago

How does the flipper work if you jump the coil to ground braid ?
To me, it sounds like you flipper board isn't getting a good ground, causing intermittent and weak flips
and not providing a complete path for the coil.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

How does the flipper work if you jump the coil to ground braid ?
To me, it sounds like you flipper board isn't getting a good ground, causing intermittent and weak flips
and not providing a complete path for the coil.

Ok I will give that a try and report back.

#15 5 years ago

Well this is going to sound silly. So one of the first components I replaced was the cabinet switch because the original one looked quite burned. I hoped starting there would fix the issue. After installing a new low voltage gold contact cabinet switch the issue remained. So I went on replacing the EOS etc which did not help either. On a whim I decided to clean the new cabinet switch a few hours ago and to my amazement that seemed to fix the issue. We just played game after game for the last few hours without fail. I would have never thought to clean a brand new switch and now I feel foolish. I really appreciate the help everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intermittent-flipper-issue?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.