Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Tridentphoto
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Seems like my displays are wigging out on me. When I boot the machine the player 1 is usually ok, but the other 3 are sketchy, sometimes only displaying part of the scores. then after it warms up they seem to get better. What would cause that?
I am thinking it must be a power issue, but what component would change its capacitance/resistance/other when used, and the displays sometimes lose the first digit on the player 2 and 4, but a Fonzie slap to the header sometimes brings them back.

Ideas? What should I be testing for?
Jeff

#2 5 years ago

replace the IDC connectors at top of MPU board. this cured a similar issue on my black knight

#3 5 years ago

Wiggle the 1J4, 1J5 and 1J6 at the top of the CPU board when the displays are misbehaving to see if movement there changes the displays. Re-seat the connectors on the master display board and each of the slave displays (with the power off). Let us know what happens.

#4 5 years ago

In addition to reseating the connectors at the top of the MPU board, you can also swap the display around to see if they have the same problem in a different position. I would first take the good player display and try it in every position. If it works correctly at P1-P4, you know the MDB is ok and the problem is more likely one of the slave displays. Then add the second display and see if has a problem in the remaining three positions. If it does, put it aside and do the same with the third and fourth. If you add a display back and it's good, then try adding the next one.

You should also check your display voltages to make sure they are correct. You can get schematics here:

http://firepowerpinball.com/

Quoted from Tridentphoto:

then after it warms up they seem to get better.

This would indicate that the displays have outgassed and after being on for a bit and warming up work correctly. The only solution to this is to replace the display.

viperrwk

#5 5 years ago

Mine acted very flaky and I changed all connectors and no difference. Finally after a year the machine locked up and would not start. Replacing the PIA that drives the displays fixed not only the boot issue but also the displays.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you all for the input. I'm thinking it may be a connection issue, because while doing a solenoid test today they would sometimes flicker on all 7s when the solenoids triggered. I hope to fiddle more tomorrow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thorndale, PA
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 399.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside