Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by _litz
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    interlockschem.jpg
    interlock.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

So I repaired the diodes on a wpc95 board. The LED at 104 (flashers) is dead but the test point is 22.1v. The exit to the playfield is 22.1 so the flashers are getting power. All new bulbs installed. The interlock switch; when you pull it out doesn't override the power cutoff. Basically pulling it out doesn't allow power to the flashers or solinoids. Tells me the switch is bad. Can the interlock not functioning properly cause the led and the flashers not to work, even if the door is closed?

#2 9 years ago

If it is in or pulled out you should be getting power. Check continuity with power off to confirm switch functions properly.
    If you just got machine it could be connected incorrectly. If not connected properly you would have power only with the door open which is backwards.

#3 9 years ago

I have seen people talking about those switches malfunctioning fairly often.

How many wires going to the interlock swich? My understanding is that there should be 4. Two for the switch matrix 'coin door closed'. Two to physically cut the power. I could be wrong about this, but I'd like to know.

#4 9 years ago

The interlock switch on WPC-95 is a DPDT, with one set of poles wired to the supply for the high power solenoids, and the other to the lower power flashers. In theory, you could have a "half bad" switch where it is only cutting off power to one of the two. BLK/YEL pair of wires is the set to the coils, WHT/RED pair of wires to the flashers.

Use a DMM to check continuity and operation of the switch, and as a further check look for flash lamp 16 VAC making it up to driver board F107 when the interlock is closed.

1 week later
    #5 9 years ago

I replaced the interlock switch and wired according to the manual. B/C red on the left, B/C black on the right. Still has issues. With the door open LED 107 goes out. When the switch is pulled out, the led lights up. Still no flashers but there is power at the test point and I tested power at 133. All prongs have power going out.
    Something I noticed on other machines. When you open the door, it oviously states power cut off high power sol. On other games when you pull out the interlock that message goes away. On the NBA it doesn't go away even though it shows the 107 led lit. This is a brand new switch from Marco. That seems like there still is an issue with the interlock, or does wpc 95 games don't show the message going away but there is still power?

#6 9 years ago

NBA Fastbreak is the game?

Quoted from mrobertso2:

I replaced the interlock switch and wired according to the manual. B/C red on the left, B/C black on the right.

I'm seeing on the front page of the manual (on IPDB):

interlock.jpginterlock.jpg

#7 9 years ago

I think the above snippet from the manual disproves my theory about how the switches work, which was that there was a switch on the switch matrix to tell the CPU when the door is open.

Perhaps the CPU board interprets the lack of high voltage from the playfield/cabinet as the sign that the coin door is open?

We are talking about a coin door switch with two "buttons", as shown in the manual, right? When the coin door is closed, you're still missing your flashers?

#8 9 years ago

Yup exactly missing flashers. Power is at the connection going out to the playfield. That's why I thought something in the interlock was preventing power. But it has to be something else. There isn't any sub board under the playfield that controls flashers right? Yes nba fast break

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I think the above snippet from the manual disproves my theory about how the switches work,

If the WPC game has two switches, one is memory protect and one is high power interlock, coils, flashers.

If one switch, it is memory protect, no high power interlock.

LTG : )™

#10 9 years ago

My JM has both switches, and while the memory protect is working, the high power interlock is disconnected. The second switch is mounted properly, but the molex connectors shown in the above image are just lying in the bottom of the cabinet.

Does anyone know how this should be connected? It appears my game had this option added, but nobody ever hooked it up. I can't find any reference to it in the manual or schematics.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondie7575:

Does anyone know how this should be connected?

Do your wire colors match Wayout440's picture ? If so hook it up like that.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondie7575:

I can't find any reference to it in the manual or schematics.

It's near the very front of the JM manual. PDF page 4. It's on the page before page i. On first glance, it looks identical to the NBAFB diagram shown above.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

It's near the very front of the JM manual. PDF page 4. It's on the page before page i. On first glance, it looks identical to the NBAFB diagram shown above.

Right- got that much. Unfortunately it doesn't actually say how to hook it up, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's obvious if I unplug some connectors in there. I assume it patches in to some existing harness, since the wires clearly run from one connector, to the switch, then back to the other connector.

#14 9 years ago

To clarify, the switch itself is hooked up correctly. It's the large molex connectors at the other end of the harness that aren't. They are lying in the bottom of the cabinet. Everything is wired up, the molex connectors just aren't plugged into whatever they are supposed to be plugged into.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If the WPC game has two switches, one is memory protect and one is high power interlock, coils, flashers.
    If one switch, it is memory protect, no high power interlock.

My bsd has the one switch. When I open the door, no warning goes off or that annoying sound. I thought it was strange at first, but maybe it's normal?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

My bsd has the one switch. When I open the door, no warning goes off or that annoying sound. I thought it was strange at first, but maybe it's normal?

Normal for BSD.

And when you open the coin door you don't cut high power to coils and flashers. So when working with the power on, which you shouldn't do. Be extra careful not to short lamps or switches and send 70 volts to 5 volt boards like your CPU.

#17 9 years ago

Thanks!

I rarely work with it on.. and if I do, I remove my wedding ring just in case.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I remove my wedding ring just in case.

Funny. I quit wearing rings. Tired of squishing them and having to cut the ring off of my purple finger or arc welding with my finger.

#19 9 years ago

I make no claim to be an expert on WPC. I noticed in the manuals, seems many are lacking in some areas of the schematics - in particular, the transformer power wiring. This drawing is on page one on the "WPC Schematic Manual" I found online, which seems to be from HS2 documentation. I can't be certain how much applies to other WPC titles. It seems from this drawing that the interlock switch (circled in yellow) is only used on 100V implementations of service mains power. Why that is I do not know. But FWIW it might help someone.

interlockschem.jpginterlockschem.jpg

#20 9 years ago

Power traced to flasher domes at 21.4. Used multiple bulbs during test mode with the door open and interlock out and door closed and inter lock in. No flash. Switch issue?

#21 9 years ago

Ok, ran ground to strand and touched tip102 at q35 (flasher transistors) the second I touched the top the led at 104 came on. All flashers worked as well as solenoids when the transistor was tested. Checked ribbon cables again for proper seeding. All look good. Checked molex connectors at entrance and exit points. All correctly connected and no burnt connectors. Short on board? CPU issue?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrobertso2:

the second I touched the top the led at 104 came on

LED @104 on the driver board should be on all the time, not when you manually short something. This is the indicator for presence of +20VDC for the low power coils. Remove J133 and J134 from the driver board and see if the LED comes on. If it does not, problem with the +20VDC supply circuit. If it comes on, you have a downstream problem in the low power coils.

#23 9 years ago

Has capacitor C10 been replaced or did it came loose from the PCB ?

#24 9 years ago

Chris Wright was kind enough when he picked up a DH to bring a extra Driver board. I put it in and everything worked perfect. Issue is with the board. Now to track it down. Also on old board C10 was replaced.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

LED @104 on the driver board should be on all the time, not when you manually short something. This is the indicator for presence of +20VDC for the low power coils. Remove J133 and J134 from the driver board and see if the LED comes on. If it does not, problem with the +20VDC supply circuit. If it comes on, you have a downstream problem in the low power coils.

I got that. Problem was the test point was reading 21.4 v and there is volts going out all the way to the flasher homes. Even with the 104 led being out. Something is amiss on the board.

2 weeks later
    #26 9 years ago

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I did finally figure out how to connect the interlock, if anyone is interested. Once I knew what to look for (thanks to information from this thread!), it was pretty obvious. One of the two big harnesses on the mains power adapter box (next to the beastly transformer, at the back of the machine) has a large square molex connector inline. The interlock switch has a Y-shaped version of this same harness, and it's simply a matter of inserting it into the power harness, thus routing the relevant circuits down through the interlock and back.

I verified that the high power stuff is now actually disabled when the coin door is open, instead of just the computer saying it is. No idea why this wasn't hooked up properly when I bought the machine, but comforting to know it is now!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#27 9 years ago

Thank you for contributing information!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrobertso2:

I got that. Problem was the test point was reading 21.4 v and there is volts going out all the way to the flasher homes. Even with the 104 led being out. Something is amiss on the board.

Ended up being a trace short that Rob Anthony fixed at the show for me.

#29 9 years ago

BTW, on System 11, the "coin door closed" switch is called "Memory Protect" ... and it does just that ...

on WPC/WPC95, it's called "coin door closed", and the functionality, as pertains to memory, is different.

Testing the coin door closed switch on WPC is easy - close the coin door w/the playfield up, and try and push the buttons. If it's working properly, the game will put up a message "Open Coin Door to Use Buttons".

The high power interlock switch (only on Japanese games, and US games from IJ and newer) cuts out the +50 and +20 secondary lines (coils/flashers) between transformer and backbox. It can be bypassed by simply unplugging it from the transformer output plug, as it's connected simply via an inline connection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interlock-switch-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.