View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

So the sound board on Dragon recently started blowing capacitors in explosive fashion. It is also taking out the associated diode. I tested the components and found one transistor that didn't measure propely but I'm not sure if that could cause the issue.

The blown components come off lines 29 and 30 which I believe is the coil voltage if I'm understanding the schematics.
Any help would be much appreciated.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Backlit for trace navigation.

#3 6 years ago

Can anyone look at the circuit and tell me what could cause that Capacitor to explode?

#4 6 years ago

Could just be old age I had one self destruct on a 70's Chicago Coin sound board replaced it and all was good.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Could just be old age I had one self destruct on a 70's Chicago Coin sound board replaced it and all was good.

The capacitor was replaced and immediately exploded upon starting a game.

#6 6 years ago

First, give that board a good cleaning/vacuuming.

Second, was that cap polarized, and if so, was it installed in the wrong direction?

Yes, a shorted transistor could cause problems, especially if it directs current to the wrong places.

#7 6 years ago

BAOOOOOOWCH

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

First, give that board a good cleaning/vacuuming.
Second, was that cap polarized, and if so, was it installed in the wrong direction?
Yes, a shorted transistor could cause problems, especially if it directs current to the wrong places.

I'm not familiar with this notation in the schematics. Can someone answer if this capacitor is polarized?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm not familiar with this notation in the schematics. Can someone answer if this capacitor is polarized?

Yes, that indicates polarity. The side with the short line is positive, the larger cup shape is negative.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, that indicates polarity. The side with the short line is positive, the larger cup shape is negative.

Thanks. There is no way to tell if it was installed backwards as nothing is left but the leads and rubber base.

I guess I could replace it and the diode one more time.

None of the transistors are shorted, though one seems to read incorrectly(open, perhaps?)

1 year later
#13 5 years ago

Anyone have a replacement source for that signal/audio transformer? No markings on it and "1W6V Driver" is a little cryptic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interflip-dragon-detonating-capacitors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.