You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball_count (resized).png
OH_BALL_COUNT (resized).jpg
DSCN7792 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

While watching my son play Olympic Hockey I noticed something odd- The 100's reel would not carry over to the 1000 reel when 9 was passed. Ok, so one of the switches is out of adjustment.. after all the switches were adjusted no change.

Now here is the odd part and summery of what I discovered..

1) The 1000 reel advances no problem when you hit a 1000 point target.

2) The 1000 reel will not advance when 100 reel rolls over.. BUT..

3) The 1000 reel WILL advance when the 100 reel rolls over IF you are on ball two and up.

4) The player two scoring is fine.

What the heck would cause the 1000 point reel to NOT advance from score roll over on the first ball, player one? That is too strange.

DSCN7792 (resized).JPGDSCN7792 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Although I don't see why this would be handled through the player unit (if a reel is wired to Player 1 you'd think it would know it is ALWAYS only for Player 1), you can try cleaning the contacts on your player unit to see if it gives a change. Actually, try the ball count unit too, I forgot they were separate on Williams games. It makes a little more sense because I believe these have both (while Gottlieb combined them on most multiplayer games) rather than just the player unit. It's much less of a crazy theory/option than the player unit thing but both should be done. There might be some kind of common path it follows there that is dirty or intermittent.

#3 6 years ago

Ball count unit was where I was going to start.

Far as I know there is no player unit on this pin, there is a pair of relays that alternate back and forth between players. I cleaned the contacts on them last night to no effect.

OH_BALL_COUNT (resized).jpgOH_BALL_COUNT (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

This behaviour is routed through the ball count unit, see the schematic too:

ball_count (resized).pngball_count (resized).png

Check for continuity in the ball one position, a wiper finger might not be making good contact.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

This behaviour is routed through the ball count unit, see the schematic too:

Check for continuity in the ball one position, a wiper finger might not be making good contact.

I'm heading out there now, we let you know in a bit.

They do look recently cleaned so was not the first spot I thought of.

#6 6 years ago

The problem has been solved- looking close at the fingers and board shows they were pretty clean however I noticed an alignment issue which someone tried to correct by tweaking the fingers. I straightened them out and loosened the two pcb adjustment screws, rotated the board just a smidgen clockwise and all is working as it should.

The player one 'home plate" position was just off a touch from the finger hence the non-function till the fingers rotated with the other 4 player one ball pads being in more favorable spots.

Thanks for all who looked in!

In play testing I spanked my wife's high score of 34,000 with a 50,000 point bell ringer, great game!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The problem has been solved- looking close at the fingers and board shows they were pretty clean however I noticed an alignment issue which someone tried to correct by tweaking the fingers. I straightened them out and loosened the two pcb adjustment screws, rotated the board just a smidgen clockwise and all is working as it should.
The player one 'home plate" position was just off a touch from the finger hence the non-function till the fingers rotated with the other 4 player one ball pads being in more favorable spots.
Thanks for all who looked in!
In play testing I spanked my wife's high score of 34,000 with a 50,000 point bell ringer, great game!

You spanked your wife's what?

1 month later
#8 6 years ago

This thread helped me fix a similar problem on my Gottlieb Big Top. Player One score reels would only carry over correctly on balls 2-5, but never on the first ball, while the Player Two score reels all worked fine all the time.

In my case, the problem was a broken solder joint on the back side of the bakelite disk on the Balls to Play unit. It looked good, but when I tugged on it, I saw that it was actually not connected.

I got lucky; I found this thread and fixed the problem in 20 minutes. It could have taken a week.

#9 6 years ago

Awesome! I love Pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interesting-williams-scoring-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.