(Topic ID: 313055)

Interesting update at the Patent and Trademark Office Website..JAWS

By Bandit78

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1714D865-B9A5-463D-A15B-DF5D518029A4.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    5ao.gif
    jaws-zen-pinball (resized).jpg
    19D09391-0A26-452E-A9E9-FAB919628584 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-04-04 210622 (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

On March 1, Universal Studios updated their trademark for one of their properties to include Pinball Machines.........

#2 2 years ago

Pinball has really gained popularity,
    Universal must want to cover all bases. Leave no penny unturned.
    -Mike

#3 2 years ago

Pinside is not Buzzfeed. Please consider whether you might want to avoid clickbait subjects and posts.

#4 2 years ago

Can someone please explain what we're talking about.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Can someone please explain what we're talking about.

Money

#6 2 years ago

How about an actual screenshot?

#7 2 years ago

JAWS

Screenshot 2022-04-04 210622 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-04-04 210622 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 years ago

I think a fish tales was rethemed to a Jaws in one instance?

#9 2 years ago

Trademark attorney here. That Jaws filing is under 1B, which requires that they have an actual intent to use the trademark on the goods listed. It’s a pretty strong indication there’s a Jaws machine in the works.

#10 2 years ago

The Stern code name for Stranger Things was Jaws.
    Will the code name for Jaws be Stranger Things?

EDIT: D'oh! Screwed that joke up. It was Jurassic Park.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

The Stern code name for Stranger Things was Jaws.
    Will the code name for Jaws be Stranger Things?

No, Jaws was Jurassic Park.

#12 2 years ago

Is it still a secret on Jaws?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Trademark attorney here. That Jaws filing is under 1B, which requires that they have an actual intent to use the trademark on the goods listed. It’s a pretty strong indication there’s a Jaws machine in the works.

This is legit. Shocked this post isn't getting more traction. Definitely sounds like Stern based on their previous work with Universal, but who knows with how weird pinball licensing gets.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Does it specifically have to be a pinball machine? Could it be a digital release, like for the Zen Studios games?
    They also have Christmas Tree ornaments so can we expect some brand new Jaws ornaments to drop soon?

#15 2 years ago

I wonder why the word Pinball is in darker lettering then all the other items listed?

19D09391-0A26-452E-A9E9-FAB919628584 (resized).jpeg19D09391-0A26-452E-A9E9-FAB919628584 (resized).jpeg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Does it specifically have to be a pinball machine? Could it be a digital release, like for the Zen Studios games?
    They also have Christmas Tree ornaments so can we expect some brand new Jaws ornaments to drop soon?

I was thinking that too, but they already have released a digital Jaws pin in the past, so not sure why they'd have to re-file, unless it has to do with the new Epic Games store collaboration.

Maybe they just want to release some crappy kid's toy pin machine.

jaws-zen-pinball (resized).jpgjaws-zen-pinball (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I wonder why the word Pinball is in darker lettering then all the other items listed?
    [quoted image]

My guess is the OP was searching for the word pinball on the site, so it is highlighted on the page where the word showed up

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

[quoted image]

when I search in my web browser it'll highlight a keyword I'm assuming this is why.

#19 2 years ago

Oooo a JAWS pin..

Can’t help but think Sopranos rehash with boat, fish . I’m sure it wont

#20 2 years ago

The good folks at Knapp Arcade picked up this story. Well done, OP!

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/evidence-that-a-jaws-pinball-machine-is-in-the-works

#21 2 years ago

Im in for sure, awesome theme!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

So time-line wise...does this tell us anything? Would a 2022 Jaws be a possibility or is a trademark obtained early on before things really get started?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

So time-line wise...does this tell us anything? Would a 2022 Jaws be a possibility or is a trademark obtained early on before things really get started?

I feel like it's imminent.

I remember people found the Rick and Morty trademark update only a few weeks before it was announced by Spooky.

#24 2 years ago

My concern is that it will follow the last couple of blockbuster movie themed home pins and just be a home pin

#25 2 years ago

almost certainly the pinballfx thing

i thought venom was like 99% confirmed for the next stern and 'jaws' definitely makes sense as a code name like 'goonies' for stranger things

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinpals:

My concern is that it will follow the last couple of blockbuster movie themed home pins and just be a home pin

Jaws seems like a cornerstone title, but after you mention a homepin... the Jurassic Park Home Pin could probably be turned into Jaws by swapping out the dino head into a shark head.

If Universal wanted Jurassic Park to have a home model, I wouldn't be surprised if they want Stern to license a home model Jaws as well

#27 2 years ago

I'm just glad it doesn't say pinball tables!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    5ao.gif5ao.gif

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinpals:

Quoted from TreyBo69:

Jaws seems like a cornerstone title, but after you mention a homepin... the Jurassic Park Home Pin could probably be turned into Jaws by swapping out the dino head into a shark head.
    If Universal wanted Jurassic Park to have a home model, I wouldn't be surprised if they want Stern to license a home model Jaws as well

Haven't all the home pin themes been used in a full sized commercial pin first?

#29 2 years ago

I sure hope we get a JAWS physical pinball machine.
    Problem is unless there is some kind of renewed interest in the property I fear it won't happen.

Think we are closer to a Back to the Future theme than anything else.

#30 2 years ago

Jaws seems inevitable. The problem with the licensing has always been you don't get the actors likeness rights with it, and some of them have been hard to work with/secure. You mostly get the name, the shark, and the boat.

Granted, after seeing what the Elwin team did on Jurassic Park... I'm not that worried about them making a great original adventure set within the Jaws universe (assuming they're on Jaws or collaborated to seem degree). I know some people don't think much of the theme, but I think Jaws could be incredible.

Wouldn't mind seeing JJP or CGC taking a crack at it either

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm not that worried about them making a great original adventure set within the Jaws universe

Sure, they could work wonders, but imagine the bitchfest.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sure, they could work wonders, but imagine the bitchfest.

Too bad Stern locked down their software. Someone could have spliced in the film footage they wanted later.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Too bad Stern locked down their software. Someone could have spliced in the film footage they wanted later.

I’m a huge Jaws fan and will def be buying one if/when this releases. Last theme I loved (Stern’s Jurassic Park) - well, you know what I did there to right the wrong with video assets. This will be no diff. Software side, pinbrowser dev always figures it out. I’m confident it will be achievable.

#34 2 years ago

My apologies, I am not following this much, but people have shared they are placing reservations on LEs....

Not True?

#35 2 years ago

I hate this whole prelist / reservation crap.

Makes me panic, then somehow I end up with 2 LEs because I wasnt 100% sure if the first one is actually secure or not.

#36 2 years ago

I had a long day….this thread is exactly what I needed. And a beer. I need a beer

#37 2 years ago

A Jaws pin is a must and hopefully they could secure the real actors liknesses and voice usage for it. If they can get that, it'll be a lock for a killer machine in my honest opinion and I'd be in.

As for the patent update, if it were for something virtual related, it would've specifically said that. A pinball machine is a physical machine and has nothing to do with virtual/video pinball.

All that said... Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women.

1 week later
    #38 2 years ago

Could it be that Pinball FX - has a reoccurring license with Universal? Or is there a smoking gun here?

#39 2 years ago

Jaws was made long enough ago when movie licensing was simpler and most actors were not separate licenses, so that may be the case here. We'll see.

#40 2 years ago

Its coming next.....

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Jaws was made long enough ago when movie licensing was simpler and most actors were not separate licenses, so that may be the case here. We'll see.

It's the opposite. It's more complicated because you have to go talk to everyone separately. Its why you don't see the actors in modern Jaws merchandise. You just get the name, the shark, and the general story and characters.

I think I heard it was Robert Shaw's estate in particular that is difficult to work with, but I can't recall where I heard that from.

If they do Jaws, it'll probably be like Jurassic Park. Original story and video assets, some of the John Williams score, character likeness for the affordable actors, loose knock offs for the rest.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

. Its why you don't see the actors in modern Jaws merchandise.

There is modern Jaws merchandise?
    I guess I need to get out more.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I hate this whole prelist / reservation crap.
    Makes me panic, then somehow I end up with 2 LEs because I wasnt 100% sure if the first one is actually secure or not.

Love it, made me laugh! Because you took the words right out of my mouth!

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

There is modern Jaws merchandise?
    I guess I need to get out more.

Sure. Video games, board games, clothing, collectible toys, etc

It’s a major brand. Of course there’s a bunch of junk with the logo on it lol.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Its coming next.....

1714D865-B9A5-463D-A15B-DF5D518029A4.gif1714D865-B9A5-463D-A15B-DF5D518029A4.gif
    #46 2 years ago

I'm aware of orders and products being made...does it mean the vendors are right?

#47 2 years ago

Isn't the 50th Anniversary of Jaws 2025?

The game is going suffer if it doesn't have some of the movie assets.

#1 Gotta have Quotes from Quint:

What are you some half assed Astronaut ( Attract mode )
    Quint Laughter
    Quint's Sea ditties

When a person restarts game : - :" Stop playin’ with yourself, Hooper."

"Not Like Going Down The Pond Chasing Blue Gills Or Tommy Cats. This Shark will swallaw yah whole"

"Hey, Hooper! Maybe You're A Big Yahoo In The Lab, But Out Here You're Just Supercargo

Quint's end game scream... Ahhhhh

Hooper:

All This Machine Does Is Swim, And Eat, And Make Little Sharks.

Brody:

Tell 'Em I'm Going Fishing ...

Smile, You Son Of A...

[Brody] "I Used To Hate The Water." [Hooper] "I Can't Imagine Why!"

#2. Would be cool if it featured opening scene in attract mode.

I just PRAY it features Video assets from movie

#3 Topper could be pretty bad ass , hope they get a Photorealist artist like Franchi on deck.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I just PRAY it features Video assets from movie

Just watch the film.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Just watch the film.

If your going to do a Theme in the modern era.. You need the Assets from the film.
    Especially if your going to Jack people for 10k for a premium or whatever LE's are selling for.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Yeah, another wipe off the dust its so out of date theme!!!!

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interesting-update-at-the-patent-and-trademark-office-website?hl=charlemagne1987 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.