(Topic ID: 93945)

interesting free play hack

By ccotenj

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-994.jpg
    image-176.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

just lock the gear into place with the torsion spring...

image-176.jpgimage-176.jpg

unfortunately for the originator of the hack, eventually the spring stretched and allowed the gear to move just enough to climb on top of a tooth, which locked the knocker coil on...

what is somewhat amusing is that someone went to GREAT lengths to try and stop the knocker coil from buzzing (it is really fried, what with being locked on for who knows how long, but it still works)... it was REALLY loud... i wish i had taken a picture of the attempt they made to isolate the bracket from the cabinet with a big hunk of foam...

#3 9 years ago

forget that hack...lets talk about that carpet!

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

that is some stunning carpeting right there!

rd

#5 9 years ago

yea, wasn't the best hack i've ever seen, but it was interesting... just lock it in the "max credits" position so it never attempts to increment, and let it attempt to decrement but don't let it move... what amazes me is what lengths they went to to stop the buzz, but they never figured out that the knocker plunger probably shouldn't have been hanging in mid-air all the time...

my guess is that the hack was not done by the person who ended up having the problem... there is a lot of evidence that the machine was owned at one time by someone who at least had a clue, there are several light sockets that have had the "move the wire" fix applied to them, and so on... i'd guess that was the person who hacked it, and subsequently it ended up in someone elses hands...

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Quoted from rotordave:

that is some stunning carpeting right there!
    rd

i only wish i had cool carpeting like that...

image-994.jpgimage-994.jpg

#7 9 years ago

What are you using to clean the steppers? I have an ultrasonic and l&r watch cleaner but looking for a less expensive option

#8 9 years ago

for that guy, since it is the "bronzy" gtb part, i used zep heavy duty citrus cleaner...

usually i'll shoot the parts with it, let them sit a bit, then scrub them a bit with a soft toothbrush... then cook them in ultrasonic cleaner (with the zep as the solution) until they are as clean as i want them... rinse and dry well... then polish by hand with mother's mag and aluminum polish...

since i'm really not supposed to be working on this machine, i just did the shoot/toothbrush part... they came out pretty clean that way, at least all the grease is gone...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

since i'm really not supposed to be working on this machine,

Are you referring to Magic City? Is it done?

#10 9 years ago

I was wondering too. But it's a Gottlieb so my guess is Target Pool.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Are you referring to Magic City? Is it done?

Quoted from AlexF:

I was wondering too. But it's a Gottlieb so my guess is Target Pool.

yup, i was referring to the magic city... and no, it's not done... i'd say "soon", but i've been saying that for a long time... i've gotta get my act together, it is pathetic that i'm not playing that yet...

yea, this is from the target pool... you don't know how hard i had to fight the temptation to do a full clean and polish job on that stepper while it was apart...

#12 9 years ago

dupe...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i only wish i had cool carpeting like that...

image-994.jpg 222 KB

Bummer. Does the towel at least match the drapes?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

Bummer. Does the towel at least match the drapes?

don't give my wife any ideas...

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

don't give my wife any ideas...

I could really say something inappropriate here, but I'm going to keep it PG. Lol

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

I could really say something inappropriate here, but I'm going to keep it PG. Lol

yea, that could go in several directions, couldn't it?

#17 9 years ago

The last three games I've bought have had replay units with the spring round the pin. I don't think it's a hack, just an error when a unit it reassembled.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interesting-free-play-hack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.