(Topic ID: 316377)

Interest: Top Gun pin from Steve Ritchie at JJP?

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Interest: Top Gun pin from Steve Ritchie at JJP?”

• Yes, I feel the need, the need for speed 50 votes
      44%
    • No 64 votes
      56%

(114 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

208885.gif
    #1 1 year ago

I think there's a lot of potential for a Top Gun pinball machine to be a huge hit, especially with the second film now being a massive hit. Steve Ritchie and JJP seem like the perfect fit to make a fully loaded Top Gun pinball machine.

Anyone else interested?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think there's a lot of potential for a Top Gun pinball machine to be a huge hit, especially with the second film now being a massive hit. Steve Ritchie and JJP seem like the perfect fit to make a fully loaded Top Gun pinball machine.
    Anyone else interested?

Perfect pairing!!!

#3 1 year ago

...but properly name it F14 Tomcat II

#4 1 year ago

So F14 Tomcat II? Maybe we can have the Iceman kicker.

#5 1 year ago

It's just a bunch of airplanes. Maybe if it was airplanes vs dragons, or airplanes vs giants I'd be interested. But airplanes vs airplanes is a little dry for my tastes.

#6 1 year ago

I'd be a maybe on that. Excited to see what SR comes up with now that it'll be over minimum wage.

#7 1 year ago

JJP, the COmpaNy that treats customers with shitty playfields and employees so well. Screw them.

#8 1 year ago

Well if SR can make JJP machines fun to play, I’ll buy any theme.

#9 1 year ago

I’d rather see a code update on my Gold Wings

#10 1 year ago

Hes supposedly working on a music pin so I doubt we'll see this happen any time soon. I wouldn't mind a Top Gun pin I guess though

#11 1 year ago

Interesting to see which music theme Steve goes with.

#12 1 year ago

Not interested at all in the theme, but this is a really really good idea I bet Steve can turn into an amazing machine

#13 1 year ago

I would be excited to play it.

#14 1 year ago

If you're paying for cruise I would rather see a mission impossible pin.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Hes supposedly working on a music pin so I doubt we'll see this happen any time soon. I wouldn't mind a Top Gun pin I guess though

Yeah, its a Top Gun music pin.

#16 1 year ago

Top Gun 8 will be out by the time they produce a game .

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

It just might be:

208885.gif208885.gif
    #18 1 year ago

Wow really surprised to see so many No's on this. Probably the same people who think Elvira HOH is cool and not a total old man creepy fest.

Top gun would be such a good theme. And the music - someone make this and take my money.

#19 1 year ago

Sure. Why not? It’s at least as good a theme as a lot of other themes that are out there. For example, I’d much rather have Top Gun pin than a Venom pin.

#20 1 year ago

It would fit with the non original theme releases of JJP
    Stern POTC
    Data East GNR
    Gottlieb Top Gun, I mean Gold Wings
    Im still holding out for the JJP version of Robocop or Barb Wire

#21 1 year ago

Too late. I made the suggestion to Stern a few years back in one of my YouTube vids... Steve on F-14 Tomcat 2 to coincide with the release of Top Gun 2.

It was clear as crystal Maverick was going to be a monster hit. Same with Bohemian Rhapsody when I was working on Queen. Gotta get the game out at the same time as the movie to ride that free marketing wave.

Pro tip: keep your peepers glued to what big movies are currently in production.

But as we know, any old Rock band game will shift no matter what. The safest bet a pinball manufacturer can make. Provided it's a real band... not bloody Spinal Tap.

#22 1 year ago

I must so removed from pinball that I forgot SR was at JJP...seems like forever ago that they announced the news and even forever more ago that GNR was announced.

Anyway, curious to see what SR can come out with at JJP. Top Gun or F14 II could be cool.

#23 1 year ago

Would love to see Ritchie do a Top Gun/F14.2 almost as much as I'd love to see him do a Terminator (1). Think it'd be really cool for JJP to have him do some 'sequels' to his big hits, another Getaway/ZZ Top would be fun too.

What we want doesn't matter though, just hope something from him comes out in the next couple years.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Wow really surprised to see so many No's on this. Probably the same people who think Elvira HOH is cool and not a total old man creepy fest.
    Top gun would be such a good theme. And the music - someone make this and take my money.

I'm not surprised by the no votes.Anytime it's has anything to do with Jersey Jack games the regulars all stop by to take a piss on it!Juctapose that with new Stern threads to see the JJ fanboys not pissing on their threads.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I'm not surprised by the no votes.Anytime it's has anything to do with Jersey Jack games the regulars all stop by to take a piss on it!Juctapose that with new Stern threads to see the JJ fanboys not pissing on their threads.

Really like jjp, except dialed in, which i think makes no sense and has too linear rules.

I really dont see top gun making a good pin. I like a story with missions or objects that can transpire well to a pinball game.
    I can see such as coco, fifth element and harry potter translate well into a pinball game, but what would you incorperate from top gun movies?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Really like jjp, except dialed in, which i think makes no sense and has too linear rules.
    I really dont see top gun making a good pin. I like a story with missions or objects that can transpire well to a pinball game.
    I can see such as coco, fifth element and harry potter translate well into a pinball game, but what would you incorperate from top gun movies?

I really wasn’t saying wether or not it’s a good choice I’m just noting how childish some people are.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Gotta get the game out at the same time as the movie to ride that free marketing wave.

I'm sure you had the idea to release a pin along with a movie; we can all figure that out. Problem is this isn't really a thing in pinball.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

This could be doable. With the anthem, Danger Zone, and Take My Breath Away, you've got enough to build a rules structure on. Could be like LOTR's three movie multiballs.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

This could be doable. With the anthem, Danger Zone, and Take My Breath Away, you've got enough to build a rules structure on. Could be like LOTR's three movie multiballs.

Beach Volleyball Multiball while the Kenny Loggins is pumping? Can’t get more 80s than that

#30 1 year ago

My 'no' vote is more purely due to the theme not having much meat on the bone for a pinball. There isn't a lot of lore to pull from like Hobbit or 74 PotC films. The characters are too shallow to provide any real special powers like Star Wars or anything else. It would veer pretty heavily into extending out of Top Gun and into general military aviation just to have any depth to the game.

3 weeks later
    #31 1 year ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

My 'no' vote is more purely due to the theme not having much meat on the bone for a pinball. There isn't a lot of lore to pull from like Hobbit or 74 PotC films. The characters are too shallow to provide any real special powers like Star Wars or anything else. It would veer pretty heavily into extending out of Top Gun and into general military aviation just to have any depth to the game.

I think it's one of those themes where you can implement a lot of elements from the theme yet add depth through different pilot ranks, types of dog fights for modes, etc. For example let's say you have to progress through ranks to get to Top Gun, have your rank in modes affect scoring, etc. Offer different characters (Maverick, Iceman, Rooster, etc) with different modifier abilities. Stuff like that can add a lot of depth.

Top Gun Maverick just passed $1 billion in the box. I can see this being a huge hit as a pinball machine if done right.

1 month later
    #32 1 year ago
    #33 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully this is true. I'm sure a vast majority of pinball fans would rather see a Top Gun pin produced over a Billy Joel music pin lol. Hopefully Top Gun is Steve Ritchie's first game at JJP.

"The rumor that was discussed is that Jersey Jack Pinball holds the license to produce a pinball machine for the classic Top Gun. The rumor didn't specify whether the license was for the old school 80's Top Gun or the new film Top Gun: Maverick. I don't know whether the rumor is true, but in my opinion it would be an absolutely fantastic theme for Steve Ritchie's first game at Jersey Jack. The King of Flow actually produced a game with very similar theme to this back in 1987 when he worked for Williams pinball, F-14 Tomcat. That pin was essentially loosely based on the Top Gun theme and is loved by many to this day. Man that game plays fast!"

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think it's one of those themes where you can implement a lot of elements from the theme yet add depth through different pilot ranks, types of dog fights for modes, etc. For example let's say you have to progress through ranks to get to Top Gun, have your rank in modes affect scoring, etc. Offer different characters (Maverick, Iceman, Rooster, etc) with different modifier abilities. Stuff like that can add a lot of depth.
    Top Gun Maverick just passed $1 billion in the box. I can see this being a huge hit as a pinball machine if done right.

I agree with everything you're saying, but none of that is in the movies. All of the pilots were already the 'best of the best' when we met them. None of them have any special abilities in the movies; they're all F-14 or F-18 pilots and backseats. So, while you could do everything you mention, it starts not being "Top Gun" and it turns into something like TS4 where it's really a carnival game with a few TS4 elements thrown in. You're not wrong, but that idea doesn't really get me terribly excited as a "Top Gun" themed game.

I'd definitely put in a bunch of money to play it if it's your idea though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-top-gun-pin-from-steve-ritchie-at-jjp?hl=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.