(Topic ID: 44893)

Interest in custom pinball electronics and programming camp/classes?

By gstellenberg

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you attend custom pinball electronics / software classes?”

• Yes - I'd fly somewhere for a multi-day class if pricing is reasonable 9 votes
      32%
    • Yes - I'd fly somewhere IF AND ONLY IF the guest speakers appeal to me 0 votes
    • I wouldn't fly out, but I'd watch webcasts or pre-recorded videos 14 votes
      50%
    • Nah, I can figure out everything on my own. 1 vote
      4%
    • Custom pinball design is for geeks 4 votes
      14%

(28 votes)

#1 11 years ago

On the P-ROC IRC channel (Freenode: #p-roc, everybody's welcome), we recently discussed the possibility of hosting classes or a multi-day camp on custom pinball control systems (electronics and programming). It would be hosted by me and Adam Preble. I designed the P-ROC board and associated driver board system (PDBs), and Adam designed the pyprocgame software framework that a large portion of the custom machine designers are using for their projects.

We would also pull in some pinball royalty (designers, programmers, etc) to do talks on various other aspects of pinball development.

I know John Popadiuk discussed hosting a design school last year with some time allocated to the technical side of things, but after discussions with John, I'm not sure when or if it will happen, and we want to get people the training they need.

The general format we're thinking about is:
    - 1 day on control system hardware, electronics, wiring
    - 1-2 days on programming

Days would be broken up into lectures, labs (actually implementing what is taught), and sessions with special guests.

If you're planning a custom machine build, please vote in the poll above. If you have specific suggestions (length of camp, desired topics, etc) or want to express significant enthusiasm for this idea, please comment below.

Thanks!
    - Gerry Stellenberg
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#2 11 years ago

Love what you all do - just crazy how your going to change the pinball world.

#3 11 years ago

Man, this is awesome . . . and you guys are in driving distance of me and I could go visit Pinballz. Very cool!!!

I hope you guys take it slow and go through basics for beginners who are just there to learn and not planning on doing any custom work.

#4 11 years ago

In my case I would likely just drive to south Austin. I am interested, but cost is an important factor as well. I think the idea is great!

#5 11 years ago

I am currently designing my own pin and have been eagerly following your progress. I love what I have seen of the P3, and think you have a game changer on your hands. I am still researching the electronics for my pin, but will probably end up designing my own board and controlling it with a raspberry pi. There are a number of different solutions I have seen, all with good points. My reasons for going with my own are primarily so I can have the experience of having it be all my own. Part of me thinks it will be cheaper to build my own, but that is probably not accurate since an extra board spin can easily eat away at the budget. I have the design done on paper, I just keep tweaking it.

I am sure there is a market for your class, I just don't think I am it at least with regard to the HW side of things. I certainly could use a programming class. The biggest issue I can see is varying skill levels in the class. If I paid money and flew in for the class, I would be annoyed if the pace was set by someone who needed to know how to use a multimeter, while I wanted to understand the control system itself. In academia you would have prerequisites, not sure how you would address other than clearly laying out the agenda and skills that are required.

My horribly outdated website is: www.pathfinderpinball.com
    I am much further along then what has been reported.

#6 11 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts, and good luck with your project!

Quoted from sp005:

I am sure there is a market for your class, I just don't think I am it at least with regard to the HW side of things. I certainly could use a programming class. The biggest issue I can see is varying skill levels in the class. If I paid money and flew in for the class, I would be annoyed if the pace was set by someone who needed to know how to use a multimeter, while I wanted to understand the control system itself. In academia you would have prerequisites, not sure how you would address other than clearly laying out the agenda and skills that are required.

Good point, dealing with different experience levels in any kind of generic class could be a challenge. That said, one really cool thing about the P-ROC, PDBs, and software framework pyprocgame that's been proven to us over and over again is you don't have to be a high level engineer or master programmer to use them. In fact, we have many customers who have no electronics or programming experience at all, yet they're still able to get up and running very quickly.

So there really wouldn't be many prerequisites besides simply being willing to learn. I think we could jump into wiring and configuring the PDB and P-ROC very quickly, even with inexperienced hardware folks. We would show people what to consider when planning their machine and then run through some basic configurations. During the 'lab' time, we could spend more time with each person answering individual questions.

The programming classes could be similar. pyprocgame comes with a skeleton game (starter.py), which provides a generic game into which people can add their specific rules. So while we'd probably spend some time on the low level, getting started details, we could quickly jump into the guts of game programming in a way where just about everybody could be successful.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#7 11 years ago

I'm game, let me know if this happens.

Also, I could care less about guest speakers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-in-custom-pinball-electronics-and-programming-campclasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.